New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy moly. Upped my dosage to 50mg today. Had maybe two glasses of wine. Don't know HOW I got to bed. :/ not normal.

Comment

Good day to you all....

Bri - did you mean the wine hit you really hard? And that is why you don't know how you got to bed? As far as when you take your dose - it really doesn't matter.... I played around with it and took it when it suited me best. Initially it made me sleepy so would take it around 6.00 pm, then as my body got used to it and that SE wore off, I would take it anytime. I also kept drinking on it until the actual effect of it making me not want to kicked it. And yes, Space is right - I did have to get up to 300mg for it to kick in for me but not many others had to get up that high.

Buggy - good for you not having had a drink since saturday - and sorry about me thinking you were only on 50mg - how are you feeling on the 150mg now? Three days is amazing to me - not pathetic. I am proud of you for doing three days !!! The first few are the hardest too.

Bacon - I think the weight loss occurs just because ! Nothing to do with taste change or metabolism or anything - or it would happen to everyone. It only happens in 17% of folk. I noticed a decrease in interest in food....... as for it taking away the desire to drink - it is very subtle - when it kicked in for me, it was weird - I poured my drink and started it but didn't really want it. I had to make myself finish it - it is a strange feeling. Of course, like anything, you can drink over it.

Well, my day one was yesterday - both smoking and drinking. I did okay - not sure about the feelings. But I didn't smoke nor drink. Sleep last night wasn't that bad either. I did keep waking up, but would go straight back to sleep again and feel okay this morning - not tired or anything. I had taken a nicotine patch with me to work in case it got too bad but didn't want to use it unless i really had to - I want to do this on my own - and didn't use it, so was happy about that. Not sure how I am feeling - a tad out of it I think. I didn't feel like posting like night - in fact I didn't feel like doing anything at all, so read a magazine and went to bed.

love and hugs to all,

Sun XX
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sun ~ yes, the wine hit me really hard. Not sure if its because of the upped dosage or what. Usually I can drink a bottle and be fine but last night I completely past out. Maybe it was a number of things. The upped dosage, being really tired and the wine. Who knows.
        I did take the second pill at around 4pm. Wasn't sure if it mattered if u took it and drank right after or not. I really hope that this works for me. That when I hit my right dosage that I won't have the desire to drink anymore. I really do.

Buggy ~ I also agree with Sun. Three days IS amazing. I would love to get to three days.

Oh, I also wanted to say WTG on day 1 Sun! Quitting drinking AND smoking is a big step!! I quit smoking about 3 years ago. Best decision I made. Never looked back and never crave it or want it. For me it was easy. Which is so bizarre.
        Well, that's a lie. The first month was tricky but after that I was coasting.
        Good luck to you!! Onwards and upwards!!

Bri.

Comment

Hi Bri - no, I don't think it matters if and when you take the Topa and then drink..... maybe it is starting to kick in? Yes, when it does kick in, you won't want to drink any more - it is really amazing and it made me cross to begin with - LOL.

I stopped smoking years and years ago - stopped for 20 years then started again. Can't believe I did. Stopped again for 8 months and now am doing it again - this will be it - it has to be.

Feeling really bummed today ...... dog really sick and might have to have her put down, along with daughter and grands having left this week for the other side of the country.....

hugs to all,

love, Sun XXX
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

I really hope that it begins to kick in soon. I'm still craving it and plan on going to pick a bottle up after work. does it make sense to anyone that I kind of enjoy the thrill of sneaking it around too? How messed up is that??

I believe you your quit can definitely stick this time Sun. And I am sorry to hear about your doggy. (
            What's wrong with him/her??

Comment

Hi Bri - She has had diarrhea for about 4 months or longer now - the vet said she has IBD. We have changed her food and have eliminated all corn, soy and wheat - he has tried all manner of different meds, and recently she was put on steroids. They worked but the amount that she needs to stop the diarrhea will cause a multitude of other problems. He gave her a long lasting shot that should have lasted 6-8 weeks - it lasted 3 weeks and the diarrhea was back with a vengeance. When she needs to GO, she needs to go NOW. We are fully carpeted. It is getting really old. She is a rescue and is such a sweetie - but we cannot go on like this. Like three times in the past three days? I feel like a bad mother, but both the vet and I are out of ideas. I am so sad about it - we are trying one last thing.......

Love and hugs,

sun XXXX

Comment

Oh and Bri - yes it makes total sense that you are enjoying sneaking it around too - LOL. but it will kick in eventually - trust me - it does - and as I said, I was so cross when it did !!!! My mind still wanted it but my body didn't !!!!!

Hugs, Sun XX

Comment

I Love you sun .. BUT ......

I came back just to say two things ....

1) IF this was your child who was ill ... or your Mother .. just shoot it????????????
                  Why is is even OK to think about killing a dog that it sick? Is your CARPET more important that a dogs soul????????????????? Don't OWN DOGS THEN!

2) If this drives you to drink and smoke ... you are making the wrong choces with your dog and know it.

Nuff Said.

P&C

Comment

Oh....... WTE.... I do not know what to say. Had x-rays at the vets today and she has numerous tumours in her intestines. brought her home. Still have to decide what to do.

thanks for your input.

Sun

Comment

Wow, WTE,
                      Those comments are pretty judge mental don't you think? You are not in Sun's shoes and I know she is doing the best she can, please try some kind words instead.

Love,
                      Play

Comment

Sun...
                        You know what you are doing and what is best for your furbaby.
                        That is ALL that matters.

Here for u.
                        That's all that matters right now.
                        xoxoxo

Bri*

Comment

Bloody Hll Im only away for one day and whats going on. WTE two things, a few days ago I said I missed you and wanted you to start posting again to tell us how you are, but you didnt post then but now you jump in and say harsh things that you must know are going to upset Sun. Sun is saying whats going on for her and is a good member of this thread, sh is always freindly and, supportive to others and doesnt deserve to be treated that way. I cant see anywhere where she said that the dog being ill is driving her to drink and smoke, if she did then I must have missed it but sh drank and smoked long before the dog got ill so that wouldnt make much sense would it. I do want you to post again but to join in the thrad properly not just sit in judgement of others. Apart from that the argumeent about not putting animals down beecausee you wouldnt do it to a person is just bloody stupid. People are more important than pets and if you cant see that then I dont understand you and never will. I also dont understand that you dont come on here for so long then come back with that, what for.

Enough said.

Sun I do understand that you have tried everything for you poor dog and must be upset at her becomming so ill, the carpets shouldnt really matter and arnt the issue here, the fact is the dog is very ill and you arnt able to cope anymore so theres nothing really you can do. Hows the not drinking and smoking going, are you finding it hard or is it easier because you have made a firm decision, I am really hopeing this iis going to work for you you sound so determined and strong about it, both you and your therapist must be working well together and are setting things in motion far quicker than me with mine, how often do you talk to her, I see mine once a week but she is away again next week so I have to wait two weeks again this is the second time she has been away since I started seeing her so I hope she wont have another holiday for a few months now.

Bug hows it going now, well done on your fantastic progress with not drinkingit really is wonderful when we can go without a drink for even a few days to realise that we actually can do without it.

Play so great that your back, Im taking antabuse ast the moments as well to help me stay off the drink, I hope you dont think theres anything wrong with using a crutch or tool or whatever you want to call something that helps us its a way of mailing things easier, or even possible so thumbs up for crutches form me. Well done on getting the days off the drink that you are doing thats wonderful that you have kept it up and can still get the benefits of not drinking. There is no law that says you have to totally quit right off, if you want to still have the option of drinking of a weekend and it works for you then do it. I know that when you started taking the antabuse for during the week you liked doing the AB57, is that still the case or do you want to change that.

Bri how have things been since the wine wiped you out, the topa can make the alcohol more potent so you will feel the effect quicker than before. Iam wondering what has happened since when you have drank since that night.

I still havent had another drink and dont really want one but I am going to carry on taking the small amount of antabuse for now just to make sure I dont slip until I feel more sure about myself and drinking. I do think having that couple of drinks shuck me up a bit and kind of scared me, I can see how easy it wuld be for me to fall back into the alcohol trap. I thought I had an appointment with my pdoc this morning so set my alarm clock, got up, ready and went only to find out its the second of next month instead, I am so dissapointed about it, as I say nothing major is going on but I just dont feel right, I cant even put my finger on what it is.maybe some low level anxiety which has been my bug bear for a long time, its there all the time but Im not aware that is whats wrong because its so normal for me.

space x

Comment

I caved.......

Comment

Hi Sun if you mean you have had a drink or smaoke or both then please dont let it get you down, I dont know what with time differences whether you drank thursday meaning you had one whole day without either a drink or smoke or thursday as well but it doesnt matter, you did succeed in doing that day and ow know what it feels like. Without those single days none of us would ever get anywhere. Please dont beat yourself up over this. PM me if you want and I could maybe help you make a new plan of what you can do. xox

Comment

Hi Space,
                                I must tell you that I always really admire your heartfelt and loving responses to things things that are written here on the thread. I feel that you are one of the true innocent and loving hearts here and I am so thankful to have you as my friend and admire you so much. I feel that you truly speak from a place of love and that is a very powerful place to be. Thank you for being my friend and I love you very much.

Play

Comment

Working...
                                X