New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Meggie, I meant to say how sad it is for your friend in the hospital! Very scary thought indeed! Hope she fares well

Comment

VERY quick fly by - need to leave for work. Houtx - my BP went down amazingly after I stopped AL - last night before bed it was 112/60 !! Something for you to think about .... even though you have changed your drink, I think the AL still contributes to high BP. I think that was the main reason that really eventually stopped me to be honest!

Anyway, got to get to work - back later,

hugs to all,
      sun XX
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Well, happy for you houtx, gives you a reason to get up. Also, nice to know someone cares about you.
        Sun, glad your blood pressure is going down. That is not a concern for me, hopefully.

Comment

Hi there - Meggie, I didn't think BP was a concern for me as I never took it - it was always really super low - but took it for some reason and it was really high - something I could only attribute to the AL as the rest of my life is pretty healthy. It is now back to what it always was before ! You might just want to check yours out for a few days if you can.....

Hugs, Sun XX
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Interesting,I never thought about it because when I go in, they have a hard time finding it. They joke, are you alive.I have been in a slump, the gym isn't there , the new one stinks,so I am so out of shape and the spring clothing looks horrid. I have always been a small, medium now a large. bummer.
            Ineed to get to the gym,spendiing too much time not focusing on me. Going tomorrow to visit the alcoholic friend, 56 and may never get out of the hospital. I don't want to go, so afraid, will that be me, sad to see her, could I have done more? Sad, will let you know how it goes.

Comment

I m very happy this thread is still alive

This is the best place!

I m doing a lot better. Not 100% ok, but a lot better. I m on my phone right now, and it s not easy for me using this thing.
              I miss you all, Sunny, Houtx, ALL of you.
              I ve had a VERY difficult time, but ~I think~, I m coming up, step by step.

Hugs to you all.

:thanks:

Comment

AIRAM !!!!! How wonderful to see you - I so wish you would elaborate when you pop in - you are so frustrating - LOL - You do these one liners and then disappear again for 6 months !! Please tell us how you are doing ? I think of you and often wonder ....

Love and hugs, Sun XXX

Comment

WOW, a pop by from Airam. Airam, I feel like I know you from having read up on the back posts good to hear you are doing ok, and I echo Sun, would love to hear more.

Meggie, good luck with the hospital visit, I think everyone hates hospitals, we go because we must, but in your case it's extra stressful because of your ties to your friend. Don't think "what could I have done". I certainly don't expect my friends to help me with my drinking - I don't think any of us do, but if I was in the hospital, I would certainly appreciate having a caring non-judgmental face stop in.

Sun I agree on the BP and drinking. It's definitely linked! So good to hear yours is back where it should be!!!

Houtx, men and dating, fun and frustrating, certainly not boring! I enjoy your updates. You sound so busy with life with the golf and work.

Update on me, well I didn't do very well on my AF May. Didn't even make it through the first day. Was planning on taking my AB before bed last Thursday (the 1st), but sometime between supper and bed ended up having one of hubbies beers then a second. and I don't even like beer. I didn't have wine in the house, since I was planning being AF, but beer is always around, he's a daily drinker.

So then I decided to postpone my AB until Monday - it being the weekend after all - more excuses. So I had my half tablet on Monday and have been AF since then......but am not sure if I'll take another one today and continue to be AF for May, or get back on my Mon-Fri AF, and drink on Sat Sun. hmmmmmmmm.

One things for sure, having some AF days FEELS so good. I'm back at the gym, eating better, sleeping better. And strangely, didn't go through the night sweat withdrawals this time around even though I'd been drinking daily 3 weeks straight (the last week back up to a bottle or a bottle and a half a day). No withdrawal at all aside from being tired on Monday, which I attribute to the wine I drank on Sunday.

Meggie, you asked about AB and withdrawal? Whenever I've quit drinking after long stints of daily drinking - as in over a year, I've had fatigue, moodiness, anxiety, and bad night sweats for a few days, nothing more serious than that. All bearable and helped by rest and good nutrition. The AB itself I find makes me extra sleepy for 12 hours after taking a half tablet, so I prefer to take it at the end of the day, but sometimes that backfires - like last Thursday, since that means getting past my witching hour in the evenings.

The main reason people like your counselor are against AB is the risk to your liver if you drink while taking it. you really need to be careful and sure that you won't drink until it's out of your system......
                  I'm not sure that AB would work so well for me now if I hadn't already had my in-treatment 6 years ago and had my 5 1/2 sober years. If I'd just tried AB without the treatment 6 years ago, I think it could have been risky for me in the state of mind I was in, for me the counselling in treatment was pretty crucial too. But everyone is different, and not all treatment centers are the same!

I feel pretty lucky that my counselor is open to AB, and the way I'm using it. Probably pretty rare.

Comment

Hey Houtx, sometimes guys just wanna know wassup... And sometimes just to let you know they're thinking about you.

Anyways, nice to see everybody around and chatting. Will be back sometime soon - still on the move through Italy and no time to sit and type. :l:l to all.

Comment

Stuck - so glad that you are having a great time - Italy scares me as when I was there the drivers were crazy and being a YOUNG (at the time) long haired blonde, I was constantly hit on - hated it !!!! Not somewhere I would ever want to go back to ..... But enjoy yourself - lovely to see you post when you are so busy!!

Meggie - hope your hospital visit went okay - must be so hard for your friend as most folk will think she deserves it - so sad ! Please be there for her and be with her - she needs all the friends she can get!

Houtx - so glad it is you and not me - I could not handle dating and meeting men! If anything happened to hubs, I would be alone for the rest of my life! But happy that things are going well for you.

Oh Gum - I agree with you - having AF days is so good and then one thinks it might be nice to have a drink - yes? I am having way more AF days than not but do have some AL now and again ..... then wish I hadn't.

But on the whole life is good and I am handling it well - the AF that is - LOL. I have been outside in the garden today doing really heavy work - have gotten soaked with "Glow" - after all, ladies "glow", men perspire and horses sweat! Golly gosh - did I ever glow out there today!!! But did a lot of stuff and am now totally wiped. Going to shower and then do a stack of ironing.

love and hugs to all, sun XXX

Comment

Proud of you sun. I know you love your garden. Starting an herb and vegetable raised bed. Most likely I could buy the items for the same price as the garden. I am excited to see my hard labor grow.
                        Visited my friend, she is so yellow it scared me. From what I have been told she looks almost normal now. She looked horrid and may never have a normal life. I am mad it hasn't stopped me but her face haunts me.
                        I need to get back to the gym and sweat, I love to feel sweat.

Comment

I think sweating is really good for us Meggie and it always feels good afterwards! Great that you have a garden - and to me it matters not if things cost the same as buying them in the store - you know where they come from when you grow them yourself !! I love my garden and really enjoy messing around out there.

So sorry about your friend - is she 'with it' - does she talk to you? If so, has she said anything about the AL? What is her prognosis - I know that you said she may never have a normal life but how will she be?

Thinking of you and sending hugs,

sun XX

Comment

She is with it, very much so. She doesn't talk much but she uses facial expressions to let us know how she is feeling or what she likes or dislikes.
                            If she lives she will be on dialysis and be in a hospital. No, she will never talk about the alcohol. That is a given and it won't be discussed.
                            How are you, the weather is wonderful and the kids, dog and daughter all have too much energy for me.

Comment

wow, this thread is very quiet.

Comment

Hey all -
                                Hello Airam & hope alls well!! Great to see your check in & hope alls well!!

Sunny, thanks for your continued posts even tho you are so off the charts on how well you're doing!

Meggie - You sound great in spite of it all & I am so sorry about your friend still...hang in there!

Gum - I can't scroll back and see what you posted exactly, but recall you are ok -

I think we are all ok for now! Thanks Stuck for your comments on why men post "wussup"...

This man is going to be my new boyfriend & I am really grooving on that...this is Sunday night as I post this. We played late afternoon golf Friday and in the midst of it I suggested we "get this show on the road" as far as getting it on! In that we are not getting any younger, we've made out a few times now, played golf 4 times...hell, let's have sex! LOL

This, from me, who is self-conscious about accumulated fat around the butt & middle in the last couple of years...HAHA - I've somehow dropped about 6 lbs in the last couple of weeks. Just haven't felt like eating. Maybe it's the new BP med I'm on?! I dunno - but I'm digging it. Plus just not drinking wine much at all. Vodka tonics are my thang now...

Anyway - I feel so much better and am really happy! Hope alls well with all of you too - keep posting!

Comment

Working...
                                X