Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously love both of you guys.

Comment

I actually came back on to post two things. One relevant, one not-so-much.

The relevant one is that it's really nice, pretty amazing really, to be sober at 6pm and not unhappy about it. The sober part has been going on for a little while but I haven't been very contented about it.

The second is too irrelevant to matter right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ne/Neva Eva View Post
        That reminds me, actually, it's very, very close to 100 days for you, isn't it Bacman? I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget, but then who knows where that bit of paper ended up. I should know better than to use pen and paper...If it ain't on my phone or the computer, I'm going to lose it...
        Its actually 100 in an hours time - Not that I am counting

I have come a long way in the last 130 days or so with regard to sobrierty - A lot of it I put down to support from members of this Forum

Regards

Bacman
        I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
        Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Here's a newer article that suggests that nurses could actually have a lower incidence of substance abuse disorders than the general population - Identifying substance use disorder in nursing:

"The American Nurses Association (ANA) estimates that 6% to 8% of nurses have a drug or alcohol problem that impairs their practice. Others estimate that nurses abuse drugs and alcohol at the same rate as the general population, which is between 10% and 15%."

-tk
          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Originally posted by Baclofenman View Post
            Its actually 100 in an hours time - Not that I am counting

I have come a long way in the last 130 days or so with regard to sobrierty - A lot of it I put down to support from members of this Forum
            Let me be the first to say congratulations! Proud of you and of your commitment to stay abstinent. I hope you'll share your story here, sometime soon. But first...

xxoo

Comment

Originally posted by Ne/Neva Eva View Post
              I have to admit that I really regret wasting so much time responding to Spiritfree on this thread. And while I think the points I made are salient, and that Spiritfree is truly a menace to My Way Out, and the people looking for help here, I still can't help but wish I'd just ignored most of what he'd written.

He really doesn't deserve any of my time.

I try really hard to avoid confrontations. This kind of thing certainly doesn't happen in my life outside of MWO. And I hate that it happens here. There are just times, and things said, that I feel have to be addressed.

Apologies to those of you attempting to avoid drama and focus on getting and/or giving help, support and information. Still...Some things just shouldn't be ignored. Or at least it feels like that in the moment...
              I know what you're saying but does anything you post in reference to him change anything?

Comment

Originally posted by terryk View Post
                Here's a newer article that suggests that nurses could actually have a lower incidence of substance abuse disorders than the general population - Identifying substance use disorder in nursing:

"The American Nurses Association (ANA) estimates that 6% to 8% of nurses have a drug or alcohol problem that impairs their practice. Others estimate that nurses abuse drugs and alcohol at the same rate as the general population, which is between 10% and 15%."

-tk
                Thanks, Tk. But it really is moot. It's clear based on Spiritfree's previous posts over the last year or so, and from when he used the name Spiritwolf333 before, that his information is unreliable.

But that's not even the point. It has no bearing on me, or on my profession.

I have no expectation of numbering in any one of those statistics. That's why I'm here, and taking baclofen, and participating in the creation of a new forum where support and legitimate information can be found without the interference of mean-spirited posts or unreliable information.

Still, thank you for finding accurate information. It may be relevant for people who come after us.

Comment

Originally posted by kronkcarr View Post
                  I know what you're saying but does anything you post in reference to him change anything?
                  Sadly, no.

Still...Should the troll (Spiritfree) be allowed to run amok, Kronk? That's the debate I've always had about this.

EDIT: Maybe hwe should just let him take over MWO. Maybe that's the point we're all missing when we try to correct the misinformation or confront the maliciousness. Honestly, I just don't know.

Comment

I can understand the point of correcting the troll when he posts a bunch of his usual nonsense. However, I cannot understand how anyone can find value in trying to reason with him, argue with him, discuss issues with him or otherwise interact. Has he not proven to the forum, time and time again, that he is a drunken illogical narcissist? Please don't feed the troll. Love you guys <3

Comment

Originally posted by Ne/Eva Neva
                      Which is one of the reasons that we MUST remain on My Way Out in order to make sure that misinformation (or blatant lies) perpetuated by Spiritfree do not mislead people. It could, in a very real way, lead to harm to the people who come here looking for legitimate support and real, factual information about how to treat alcoholism.
                      Guys (and gals), speaking frankly, several of you know I have been on this forum before under a different username (which apparently was deleted due to inactivity) and I have come to genuinely value the friendship with several of the regulars here (shout out to Ne and Kronk in particular), but if I were brand new to MWO, I would run, not walk away from this forum because of all the negativity, name calling and general lack of tolerance for the prevailing zeitgeist. Even though I am a big believer in medication, I am also a big believer in talk therapy and support groups, of which there seems to be many skeptics on this forum. Some of you are apparently able to drink in moderation on baclofen but there are people like me who can't. Alcohol + baclofen + gabapentin + Ativan + clonidine = trip to the emergency room, which has happened more than once.

Then there is the lack of tolerance for those of us who believe in support groups. Like I said, I've drank on my psych meds and it ain't pretty. I credit AA, the occasional SMART meeting and my therapist (whose practice is in the same office as my psychiatrist, which is great) as equally as the medications. I've mentioned in threads elsewhere that I live alone and I am without a wife or significant other for the first time in about 20 years. If it weren't for my interactions with the tight friends I've made in AA, there's more than a good chance I would be on my meds and drunk as a skunk either passed out or watching television semi-comatose. And I also feel the need to mention that my homegroup is called OMAGOD, an acronym for Our Mostly Agnostic Group of Drunks, so it is the furthest thing from a religious cult.

I'll just finish by saying I believe that modern medicine has a place in the treatment of alcoholism and addiction, but I generally avoid this forum. We shouldn't and can't view our own experiences in recovery as monolithic and applicable to everyone. Please consider what I had to say that all the negativity might be doing a newcomer more harm than good. Thanks guys (and gals).
                      First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Originally posted by aihfl View Post
                        Guys (and gals), speaking frankly, several of you know I have been on this forum before under a different username (which apparently was deleted due to inactivity) and I have come to genuinely value the friendship with several of the regulars here (shout out to Ne and Kronk in particular), but if I were brand new to MWO, I would run, not walk away from this forum because of all the negativity, name calling and general lack of tolerance for the prevailing zeitgeist. Even though I am a big believer in medication, I am also a big believer in talk therapy and support groups, of which there seems to be many skeptics on this forum. Some of you are apparently able to drink in moderation on baclofen but there are people like me who can't. Alcohol + baclofen + gabapentin + Ativan + clonidine = trip to the emergency room, which has happened more than once.

Then there is the lack of tolerance for those of us who believe in support groups. Like I said, I've drank on my psych meds and it ain't pretty. I credit AA, the occasional SMART meeting and my therapist (whose practice is in the same office as my psychiatrist, which is great) as equally as the medications. I've mentioned in threads elsewhere that I live alone and I am without a wife or significant other for the first time in about 20 years. If it weren't for my interactions with the tight friends I've made in AA, there's more than a good chance I would be on my meds and drunk as a skunk either passed out or watching television semi-comatose. And I also feel the need to mention that my homegroup is called OMAGOD, an acronym for Our Mostly Agnostic Group of Drunks, so it is the furthest thing from a religious cult.

I'll just finish by saying I believe that modern medicine has a place in the treatment of alcoholism and addiction, but I generally avoid this forum. We shouldn't and can't view are own experiences in recovery as monolithic and applicable to everyone. Please consider what I had to say that all the negativity might be doing a newcomer more harm than good. Thanks guys (and gals).
                        What a load of tripe ..funny you say to quote " I generally avoid this forum " but you keep posting these massive diatribes like the above rubbish ..what's with you ?
                        Quite confused maybe you need to stop posting here and go to one of you're beloved AA meetings ..where you can stand up at the pulpit and talk shit to people that have no option except to listen

Just a thought
                        Take care

Comment

Originally posted by behan View Post
                          What a load of tripe ..funny you say to quote " I generally avoid this forum " but you keep posting these massive diatribes like the above rubbish ..what's with you ?
                          Quite confused maybe you need to stop posting here and go to one of you're beloved AA meetings ..where you can stand up at the pulpit and talk shit to people that have no option except to listen

Just a thought
                          Take care
                          Thanks for proving my point. I hope you will achieve sobriety some day. Why don't you go to the new forum and stay there and stop spreading your toxic vitriol here. You clearly have no clue that such overt hostility only serves to undermine your own credibility. Just a thought. Take care.

Oh, and thanks for calling my post "tripe." It's actually one of my favorite organ meats :victorious:

Hey Lex, I went to a Florida Trail Association potluck and night hike yesterday evening and met a very beautiful boxer! Her name is Prudence.
                          First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

I'm just wondering what spirits handle is on the Nurse Jackie Fan Site?
                            The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
                            Friedrich Nietzsch

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.
                            Benjamin Franklin

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Comment

Originally posted by aihfl View Post

I'll just finish by saying I believe that modern medicine has a place in the treatment of alcoholism and addiction, but I generally avoid this forum. We shouldn't and can't view our own experiences in recovery as monolithic and applicable to everyone. Please consider what I had to say that all the negativity might be doing a newcomer more harm than good. Thanks guys (and gals).
                              aihfl- this is so true and so very important. I hope this forum can get stronger and more supportive of all folks who wish to change their drinking behavior, whether it be to achieve moderation or abstinence:

1) with the help of one or more medications and/or outside support groups such as AA; or

2) without the help of one or more medications and/or outside support groups such as AA.

Surely there is room here for all of the above.

Comment

You know what? That's kind of easy for you guys to say. I mean, you're not on the receiving end of this bull shit drama. It is ENDLESS. And has been for years. So yes, I've responded.

I just got a text message from Spiritfree, on my phone, telling me that I should tell my "friends" to remove his name or he's going to have to hire a lawyer and that I will also.

So let's set the record clear, here, Spirit, for all to see. I have no idea who is posting your name. I don't care. It's none of my business. I have no control over it. It's not against the law. It's not even against the rules of this forum.

Good luck with the attorney.

Also, don't text me.

Comment

Working...
                                X