X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctors that prescribe baclofen for addiction

Thank you

Ne- thank you

I went to alldaychemist today and just ordered some. I have ordered other things from them and it worked. I am just going to give this a try. I don't want to end up like my parents. I am 34 and have drank the last 16 years of my life away. I have a wonderful husband and children. I want to choose them over the bottle. I am praying this will work.

~t.
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    ~Albert Einstein quote

Comment

You're welcome, T! I wish I could be more help.

I sent an email to Hopeful but haven't heard back from her. Did you get a chance to see if the contact information is in this thread? (I haven't. Sorry!) I think the guy is pretty well known, if you simply google alcohol and treatment, they have their own website and it is decidedly NOT 12-step, so you can skip over all of those.

Have you had a chance to look around here, yet?
      It will work. Prayers may help, but they're not necessary. The medicine works. Hang in there. :l

Comment

HopefulinMN;1160025 wrote: Dr. Mark Willenbring, practices in St. Paul, MN for Allina Health care. He can be reached at 651-241-5959.

He is former director Treatment and Recovery Research Division of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism/National Institutes of Health. This may make him an especially credible resource when trying to "teach" your doc about bac.

At my last appointment, found out he will be opening up his first clinic in St. Paul, Minnesota this fall. It's encouraging because it'll be a different approach than the standard rehab. I told him for some, residential rehab is critical because they may not have the capability to manage their bac dosages. He said they won't be a residential treatment center but will partner with "sober houses." These are facilities that care for the patients (like through SE's) and agree to follow the doctor's orders when it comes to administering medications like baclofen.

More info can be found at Alltyr.com but it's pretty minimal. The other source and a bit more info is at: Substance Matters: ALLTYR? Is Born!
        Ne: Is this the doctor you were thinking of for Bjghakh? Cass
        With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Yep. Thanks cass!

Comment

Anyone have any new information to share?
            Hopeful in Minnesota is participating on the Baclofen-Forum. I'm sure she'll pop in at some point.

Comment

bump

Sorry it's not more personal! If you've got a question I'll check back here!

Comment

Looking for a doc near Los Angeles if anyone has any leads

Comment

I am fairly certain there is a doc from LA listed in here somewhere. Anyone want to take on the challenge of wading through here and compiling the list again? It's simply a matter of time...I don't have any! :boohoo:

Comment

Must not feed the trolls
                    Diggin' being alive

Comment

Joeymama;1256774 wrote: lots of stuff. The original post was deleted by the moderators. I'll just leave this for future reference.
                      We can add joeymama to the list.

Comment

joeymama,
                        You are a ridiculous bore. Go away.

Comment

Atlanta doctors for baclofen

Ne/Neva Eva;1035244 wrote: Dr. Fred Levin
                          Associate Professor, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, US
                          Home # 312-642-5803
                          He can be reached between 7 and 9pm (gmt -6) at his home number, which is his preference.

From another thread on another forum by sunnyvalenting:
                          There is a doctor in Atlanta, Dr Tommy Richardson, who prescribed it to me. There is a doctor in California. There is Dr. Levin. I bet there are others. It would help if there was a listing of these docs and their locations. Take your articles and sob story in and explain it. Maybe it will work. Maybe a neurolgist might be wiling as they may have more experience with baclofen use in MS patients.
                          I'm new to the Forum. I got an appointment for my son with Dr. Tommy Richardson, but it is more than a month away, and we are anxious to start now. Do you know of any other Atlanta doctors who prescribe large-dose baclofen for alcoholism? I don't even know yet (and won't find out until the appointment) if Dr. Richardson will prescribe the large doses that apparently are often needed. I saw somewhere in this forum under Atlanta, the word Cinders, but apparently that is a forum member's handle? and not a doc's name.
                          Thanks for any help! There really is no time to waste - every binge now is a brush with death for my son, who drinks upward of 34 drinks a day when bingeing and gets his blood alcohol up to the .3x possible .4 level, maybe even higher, in the range for possible fatality. This disease for people that bad off is essentially a terminal illness and extreme measures are warranted, just like for cancer.
                          I suppose we could just buy something on the internet, and use the internet (like here) for guidance, but would much prefer to go the doctor-pharmacy route if it is possible, to have more confidence that the drug is the real thing, etc. Thanks!

Comment

Dear Atl Dad

I'm a dad, too, who was very concerned about my son's drinking. We don't live near Chicago. I called Dr L myself and spoke to him at length. I was immediately impressed by his honesty, intelligence, compassion and courage. He told me to have my son call him, which he did. By the end of the day he was on bac. That was 8 months ago. My son is still on bac, at over 200mg/day, and he is still Dr L's patient. Although not yet completely abstinent, his drinking is greatly reduced and under control.

If I were in your position (and I was) I would call Dr L tomorrow. (We too fooled around with several psychiatrists, none of whom had ever heard of baclofen, before finding this forum and calling Dr L).

Cassander
                            With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Cassander, I will try that. Apparently Dr. L. is quite tolerant of people asking for help from long-distance. In any case he may also know someone in Atlanta that could help, too. AtlDad

Comment

Yes he is. I believe he has patients all over the country by this time.

FWIW, I wouldn't delay starting on bac while you search for a psychiatrist in Atl. The key is to start the titration. Down the road there may be side effects and there may be mood issues that lend themselves to Dr L's or to local therapy/attention. Many find the support on this board indispensable. My son, on the otherhand, has been more comfortable working with a local therapist on mood/anxiety issues in weekly visits.

But the simple truth is: baclofen works. It balances the brain chemistry of an alcoholic and the patient ends up (usually) craving way less and drinking way less or becoming indifferent. The drug is safe and there is little (no?) downside to getting started under Dr L's care.

Hope this helps.

Cass

Comment

Working...
                                X