X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural Supplements for Anxiety

Right!

Just making sure you're awake!
    I know the 2 work the same; Gaba is an analog of Baclofen.
    I notice with the 5HTP I can pull things from my brain that have been suppressed for years.
    But again, not drinking has let some brain cells revive themselves.

To stay with this thread, all of them help with anxiety and mood for me.

Thanks B,

Have a great day!

LL:l
    The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

I do agree that L-tryp or 5-htp can be useful meds for mood elevation and depression. I have taken 5-htp for this reason, but I currently take a tricyclic AD for mood elevation. The thing I don't agree with is that serotonin elevation helps anxiety.

Every doctor has been trained to throw ssri's or AD's of some sort at people with anxiety, and they don't help. Some people may think they help at first because the mood elevation feels good, but serotonin does not play the cruical role in anxiety reduction that the gabaergic system does.

Comment

Am I right in believing that I should not take 5htp when I am on srri because of seretonin syndrome?

Comment

boosted_b16;1202278 wrote: I do agree that L-tryp or 5-htp can be useful meds for mood elevation and depression. I have taken 5-htp for this reason, but I currently take a tricyclic AD for mood elevation. The thing I don't agree with is that serotonin elevation helps anxiety.

OK, but that's not what you said earlier:

boosted_b16;1201884 wrote:

I have read some replies of suggestions above, and all of the things listed here will not cross what is called the blood brain barrier, thus making them fairly useless for anxiety.
          You seemed to be saying they were useless for anxiety because they wouldn't cross the blood-brain barrier.

I agree with you about serotonin and anxiety, btw. Kinda. The problem is the term "anxiety". It's bandied about a lot and seems to cover an enormous range from serious disorders to vague feelings of being a bit off. There is no one thing that will cure all 'anxiety' because there is no one thing that is anxiety. But some feelings and disorders that are often classed as anxiety will actually be helped by an increased level of serotonin.
          "My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them." Jack Kerouac

Comment

sunshine&rainbow;1202281 wrote: Am I right in believing that I should not take 5htp when I am on srri because of seretonin syndrome?
            That is my understanding, but you should talk to your doctor before making any changes to your medication.
            "My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them." Jack Kerouac

Comment

ILL2, not to be belligerent, but I wonder if you've done your homework on 5-htp?

B6 should not be a problem, whilst 5-htp in combo with SSRIs is the problem, not l-tryp, which is a natural way to increase the body's ability to produce serotonin, as opposed to just recycling it in your brain like SSRI's do.

In addition, there's a lot more good in l-tryp than in 5-htp. And it's more natural. IMO, drop the 5-htp and go for the l-tryp.

All this is based on lots of research, much of it based on the internet, lots of it based on the research I've read about here, and on books I've read.

Check out the research section of this site...this goes for everybody.

oh yeah, and I am not speaking from any kind of medical profession. I'm just a layman trying to figure stuff out.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Beatle I hope you're not saying that l-tryptophan is safe to take with SSRIs. That would be potentially fatal advice.

Serotonin Syndrome & L-tryptophan | LIVESTRONG.COM
                Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
                George Santayana

Comment

beatle;1202381 wrote: B6 should not be a problem, whilst 5-htp in combo with SSRIs is the problem, not l-tryp, which is a natural way to increase the body's ability to produce serotonin, as opposed to just recycling it in your brain like SSRI's do.
                  Beatle I hope you're not saying that l-tryptophan is safe to take with SSRIs. That appears to be potentially fatal advice.

Serotonin Syndrome & L-tryptophan | LIVESTRONG.COM
                  Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
                  George Santayana

Comment

beatle;1202381 wrote: ILL2, not to be belligerent, but I wonder if you've done your homework on 5-htp?

B6 should not be a problem, whilst 5-htp in combo with SSRIs is the problem, not l-tryp, which is a natural way to increase the body's ability to produce serotonin, as opposed to just recycling it in your brain like SSRI's do.
                    Sorry Beatle but you're wrong. If you take B6 with 5-HTP the 5-HTP will metabolise into serotonin in the liver. Serotonin once created in the blood, can't cross the blood-brain barrier. This results in a build up of serotonin in the bloodstream which will damage your heart and lungs.

You also appear to be saying it's OK to use L-tryp with an SSRI. If so, I would suggest you're wrong about that also. It doesn't matter if L-tryp is a natural way to produce serotonin. If the SSRI is preventing re-uptake of serotonin you will end up with an excess and risk serotonin syndrome which can be fatal. This also goes for any serotonin producer mixed with not just SSRIs, but also SNRIs and MAOIs.

NOBODY should be taking L-Tryp or 5-HTP along with one of the above classes of ADs without first consulting their doctor.

Comment

I wont take the 5htp then because Im on a SRRI, I had just wanted to check if I was right. Is there anything that can help then with anxiety alongside SRRI which I cannot come off right now, my doctor wont prescribe me beta blockers because of previous problems with astma, but the anxiety and panic are still a large factor in my life.

Comment

ifulovelife2;1202537 wrote: Sorry Beatle but you're wrong.
                        ouch uch:

Let's just admit that we're none of us experts, and we get our information from different sources. But when we make strong assertions, as if they are facts, as laymen and not doctors, I think citing the source of those strong assertions would help give credibility to the statements, and allow people to make their decisions based on where we got our "facts" from.

I will try to adhere to that, as I may not have done so in the past.

So saying someone is "wrong" doesn't make much sense, unless you are a researcher on the forefront of this particular area of study. Or can document your assertions with data and literature that says unequivocally that this is the case.

ifulovelife2;1202537 wrote:
                        If you take B6 with 5-HTP the 5-HTP will metabolise into serotonin in the liver. Serotonin once created in the blood, can't cross the blood-brain barrier. This results in a build up of serotonin in the bloodstream which will damage your heart and lungs.
                        I've researched this about B6 and 5-htp for years. I haven't kept track of each article I've read, and where it was from, but my impression is that there are about as many who say you should take B6 with 5-htp as there are who say you shouldn't. (And a good number who say it doesn't matter either way.)

I've never seen this exact explanation of why B6 should not be taken with 5-htp, and to my uneducated eyes (and brain), it doesn't make much sense. (I didn't know serotonin was ever created in the blood, for example, and I don't think that has anything to do with crossing the BBB (blood-brain-barrier).

Show me the clinical cases and the proof in literature that B6 inhibits or makes 5-htp toxic in the way you describe, and I may change my mind.

I've got lots more to say about this (L-tryp vs 5-htp, and why the sudden serotonin syndrome hysteria?), but let's leave it here for now. Long posts rarely get read to the finish, I've found.
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

I'll get back to your question, SP. Gotta make dinner for the hungry mouths atm.

Comment

spacebebe01;1202646 wrote: I wont take the 5htp then because Im on a SRRI, I had just wanted to check if I was right. Is there anything that can help then with anxiety alongside SRRI which I cannot come off right now, my doctor wont prescribe me beta blockers because of previous problems with astma, but the anxiety and panic are still a large factor in my life.
                            Bananas. Particularly once they've gone a bit black. I have no scientific papers I can reference for this assertion though.

Comment

beatle;1202648 wrote:
                              Show me the clinical cases and the proof in literature that B6 inhibits or makes 5-htp toxic in the way you describe, and I may change my mind.
                              Ummmmm, you sent me one a couple of months ago, which said exactly that. On the 'fourum'. :H

Comment

K9 - maybe try Valerian? I haven't used it or looked at it in a long time, but in my own little mind Valerian is what got compounded and re-compounded in Valium. Know for sure that it's supposed to be an anxiety reliever.

As for a good portion of the above - I take a pretty extensive array of supplements, including 5-htp, GABA, the B6 in All One along with all its other components, and add to some of those with additional dosages..

My only measurements are my own experience - I quit taking an SSRI, I lost about 30 lbs., and I have more "capacity," both physically and emotionally, it sseems than I ever have had in my life. AND I have extensive bloodwork, chest-rays, organic sonograms, etc., done each year that I review with my doctor so she feels confident to continue prescribing baclofen. Everything continues to be better than good.

I've come up with my protocol from combining things I've learned on MWO with suggestions from a naturopath and what my own body/brain tell me. I do know that it's a big no-no to take some of these suppllements with SSRIs. However, heedless one that I am, I did it anyway. And lo and behold, it was as if the supplements kicked the SSRI out. I didn't decided, didn't try, it just went away.

Remembering always, though, that we are all different, is important. No one rrecipe, dang it! Tons of information in the Holistic Health thread. I know - we have to be like literary archeologists to dig some of this stuff up! Happy hunting and good luck. Hope you find exactly the right things for you.

That was a really long response that I could have done with one word to answer your actual question: Valerian :H and :h
                                "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Working...
                                X