Natural Supplements for Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always been confused about 5-HT and L-tryptophan and what may cause serotonin syndrome. My understanding is both can cause it, combined with B6 and SSRIs. I suppose I'm confused because the literature is mixed. Some say both are dangerous, and some use them to drive up serotonin. I believe serotonin syndrome is pretty rare, either way ( in regards to B6 not SSRIs). Is it Brenda?

I've recently started taking larger doses of B6, well p-5-p, in my case. It's the biologically available form of B6 (I believe Redthread takes it too). This is to help alleviate or correct what's going on with my monthly cycle. The interesting thing about B6 is some say it increases serotonin on its own. I'm hoping to do both.
    This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

ifulovelife2;1202654 wrote: Ummmmm, you sent me one a couple of months ago, which said exactly that. On the 'fourum'. :H
      Then why didn't you cite the source? :H
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

redhead77;1202698 wrote: I have always been confused about 5-HT and L-tryptophan and what may cause serotonin syndrome. My understanding is both can cause it, combined with B6 and SSRIs. I suppose I'm confused because the literature is mixed. Some say both are dangerous, and some use them to drive up serotonin. I believe serotonin syndrome is pretty rare, either way ( in regards to B6 not SSRIs). Is it Brenda?

I've recently started taking larger doses of B6, well p-5-p, in my case. It's the biologically available form of B6 (I believe Redthread takes it too). This is to help alleviate or correct what's going on with my monthly cycle. The interesting thing about B6 is some say it increases serotonin on its own. I'm hoping to do both.
        Assuming you are not taking an SSRI, I would not worry a twit about anything. I would suggest you take the l-tryp (not the 5-htp -- don't even get me started), 500mg morning (on empty stomach), and 500mg night... (with juice, of course).

And yes, the serotonin syndrome is very rare, and guess where this hysteria started? After the drug companies introduced SSRIs... any connection? Here's the message: Don't take the natural (and cheap) serotonin helper, it may give you a syndrome if you take it together with our high-class drugs that make your brain do unnatural things to keep the serotonin in your brain instead of helping your body to produce more.

Talk about the cart and the horse. But isn't that how it always is? If there is a way to fix things that money can be made from, the Big Pharma Cartel will find a way to do it -- and to suppress all the possibilities to do it naturally (and cheaply). And then whip up a frenzy about how the natural stuff can cause a very rare "syndrome" when combined with the very expensive drug that does the same thing artificially -- and screws up your whole system while it's at it.

I think we should start a different thread for this L-tryp/5-htp business (if there is any reason to at all)... because this thread has been hijacked (and I take my share of blame for that).
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Back to you, K9...

K9Lover;1197473 wrote: What are some natural supplements that can be used for anxiety...actually I'm not sure that what I experience is "anxiety" per se. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for supplements that have a calming effect?
          I can think of lots offhand, though (besides L-tryptophan :H )I would go to the Holistic Healing forum with this question. And do a search there...

Comment

Back to you, K9...

K9Lover;1197473 wrote: What are some natural supplements that can be used for anxiety...actually I'm not sure that what I experience is "anxiety" per se. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for supplements that have a calming effect?
            I can think of lots offhand (besides L-tryptophan :H ), but I would go to the Holistic Healing forum with this question. And do a search there...

Comment

Working...
            X