TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluesky, the info I have is only 4 pages worth... it doesn't say anything in the particulars section re anti-cancer drugs, but if I were in your shoes, I'd pay a visit to your chemist and ask them to look it up for you.

Demi, that is so cool re the 14 days! I'm looking forward to being able to reach that

Scooby
    :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Hi BlueSky,
      Here is a link to a drug interactions page
      Drug Interactions
      It says there is no interaction between topa and tamoxifen but best to check with your pharmacist anyway
      Suz
      Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Dear Scoobydoo and goingsobermum thank you so much for your help - I will check these resources out, at the moment I have ordered the book, cds and supplements good luck everybody. Thanks to everybody for being here, have a great day.

Bluesky
        It is easier to stay out than get out.

Mark Twain

Comment

I have tried topa twice and can't seem to tolerate more than 25mg (and I split that). I'm going to try the rest of the program with topomax and see if I can moderate or what my cravings are like. I have this commitment problem, but this is the longest I have stayed on this sight today and I'm all alone. So I can set up my supps and tapes. Just do it ! I'd love to be able to have just one or two drinks and stop, but then I wouldn't be on this sight if it weren't an issue. I did notice that the first time I took topa one or two drinks would do. Wish me luck. Specs: 47 female, 5'6' 135 lbs. Did get to 130 on the first round of topa but hated feeling nauseous and dizzy all the time, plus I couldn't get through an exercise class. I want to do this to be healthier and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. lol (thats lots of love in my lingo)

Comment

Dear Keke,

It's a known fact that some drugs will not agree with a small percentage of people. It's a pity that you obviously part of those who cannot tolerate Topa. That's too bad. Have you tried the other alternatives mentioned on this website (i.e. Campral, natrexone, etc?).

Alternatively, you could always start a thread for those who cannot tolerate topa and the alternatives they found to be working with them.

Good luck
            Paddy
            Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Scooby,

Thanks for the info about Lexapro and Topamax! I'm just waiting to get the all clear on my bloodwork, and then I am going to give Topamax a try. Keep me updated on how it is working for you. Good luck!

Julie

Comment

I just received my topa in the mail yeaterday. I took it yesterday but had already had a few wines. today I took it at the same time 25mg and within 1 hr had tingling in the hands and slight metallic taste. No real reduced cravings. I really want to do this. My blood pressure is high and my cholesterol is high, I have to quit drinking or I will end up badly. I have been doing the supps and the cds for a few weeks but waited on the topa to really get serious. I hope the side effects don't preclude me from using this drug successfully.

Great thread.

Melissa
                If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

I'm not on medication but would just like to ask the following question:

Why would one still have to take Kudzo and L-Glutamine to stop the cravings if they are on the "real-stuff" such as Topa/Campral? Thanks for your answer.

BS
                  It is easier to stay out than get out.

Mark Twain

Comment

Glad you got your Topa Melissa...I'm sure it will help...just keep up with everything...it has helped me quite a bit...It may take a few days or so to begin working...it works fast on some, not so fast on others....worked pretty fast on me...I've been AF for nearly a month now and I don't believe I could have done it without the TOPA. From what I understand the side effects generally go away after a month or so...I didn't get any tingling until about a month on the drug...I notice it a bit now but nothing I can't handle...my most troublesome side effect is the fatigue...I sit at my desk at work and nod off from time to time...I'm not sure this is so much from the Topa as it is from the lack of alcohol in my system....my body is used to having alcohol to burn and it isn't there any longer.....again...just keep hanging in there and it will work for you!!!!
                    :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Hi Melissa,

You'll get results after a few days. Your body needs some days to adapt to the Topa.

Blue, I fully agree with you. I must say, I have not had much results either with Kudzu and L-Gluta. So, I guess, each to his/her own. I guess it's a psychosomatic thing ... For me, the Topa does the job! Yet, it is important that you take some multivitamin complex, particularly B-complex to prop your liver up, particularly at the beginning stages after having kicked the booze.

But, yes, the Topa does the job, I agree.
                      Paddy
                      Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Bluesky,
                        I went AF went I started the topa. The kudzu and especially the L-glut helped calm the cravings before the topa really kicked in and killed the demon cravings. That was at 150 mg. Even now though, I still get the desire to sit down and have a nice glass of red at the end of the day out on the deck and just relax. Well, a nice L-glut sort of turns that desire fuzzy and my brain after a few minutes all on its own starts thinking of something else and I don't get all frustrated and depressed cuz I can't have that glass of red. I don't think you ever forget the good times that came with the alcohol. We just got to figure out ways to still have the good times just do it without the alcohol. So for me, to ease my desire for wine, I rely on L-glutamine. I usually start taking it about 5 PM and then one every hour until bedtime. That's the 1000mg size. And I am at 175 mg of topamax. Any more of the topa and I don't think I would be able to eat at all.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
                        marcel
                        Reach deep, find your will power.

Comment

Marcel,
                          That's an interesting take on the L-Glut until the Topa kicks in for me. I think I'll try that since I'm only at 25 on the Topa right now.

Melissa
                          If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Melissa,
                            Everybody's different, but I know it has worked for others, too. I hope it works for you.
                            marcel
                            Reach deep, find your will power.

Comment

marcel;137104 wrote: Bluesky,
                              I went AF went I started the topa. The kudzu and especially the L-glut helped calm the cravings before the topa really kicked in and killed the demon cravings. That was at 150 mg. Even now though, I still get the desire to sit down and have a nice glass of red at the end of the day out on the deck and just relax. Well, a nice L-glut sort of turns that desire fuzzy and my brain after a few minutes all on its own starts thinking of something else and I don't get all frustrated and depressed cuz I can't have that glass of red. I don't think you ever forget the good times that came with the alcohol. We just got to figure out ways to still have the good times just do it without the alcohol. So for me, to ease my desire for wine, I rely on L-glutamine. I usually start taking it about 5 PM and then one every hour until bedtime. That's the 1000mg size. And I am at 175 mg of topamax. Any more of the topa and I don't think I would be able to eat at all.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
                              marcel
                              Great post Marcel....I've been struggling with this myself...though the Topa has pretty much taken away MOST of the cravings I've been struggling with a bit of craving the last few days...especially after a tough day....and the memory of that "old friend/companion" lingers in the back of my head...calling to me....perhaps a little L-glut will help.
                              :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Hi , I don't remember the book mentioning L-Glut and when I ordered the basic 6 week supply with book and CDs it wasn't included. Sounds like it it helpful. I tried other supps for a few days but they made me feel very ill. Still waiting, after 4 weeks, for my Topa from Aclepsa. When I get it (IF !!!) I am going to try again. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X