TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welldone Demimalti, I'm glad its going in the right direction, congrats on 2 days.

Paddy I'm glad the ringing has gone at last
    Suz
    Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I started Topa a week ago Wednesday. I ordered 50 mg tablets and started by cutting them in half (yes, I've since heard that maybe you shouldn't do that). I've been going up every 4 days. (25, then 50, then 75, today is my first day of 100). I took 50 this morning and will take 50 this evening. I noticed no significant impact on cravings until 75 and then it was pretty dramatic. I've nursed the same bottle of wine for 3 days!! Amazing. Much less appetite this week too. We'll see if I lose weight. No funny business with soft drinks. No buzzing or tingling. I am definitely having the word loss problems though. No hair loss, but its probably too soon. So far, so good! I LOVE topa!!

Journey

Comment

journey04;129387 wrote: Hi everyone,

I started Topa a week ago Wednesday. I ordered 50 mg tablets and started by cutting them in half (yes, I've since heard that maybe you shouldn't do that). I've been going up every 4 days. (25, then 50, then 75, today is my first day of 100). I took 50 this morning and will take 50 this evening. I noticed no significant impact on cravings until 75 and then it was pretty dramatic. I've nursed the same bottle of wine for 3 days!! Amazing. Much less appetite this week too. We'll see if I lose weight. No funny business with soft drinks. No buzzing or tingling. I am definitely having the word loss problems though. No hair loss, but its probably too soon. So far, so good! I LOVE topa!!

Journey
        Congrats Journey...keep up the good work!
        We started TOPA about the same time...I started just a couple of days after you...for me, on my second day of TOPA I really had no desire for a drink...I guess it took a day for the TOPA dosage to kick in. I know it has to be the TOPA because I haven't had a drink in nearly a week now and I haven't gone that long without a drink in over ten years....actually haven't gone that long with quite a FEW drinks a day in that long.
        So far no major effects that I can see other than some brain function related things, fatigue, some sleeplessness which I am combating with Valerian and melitonin. I fall asleep on the couch and then get to bed and have trouble getting off to sleep. I do have a general kind of "lost" feeling feel like I am missing something but then I guess my long time companion isn't with me right now, eh?
        Had a test of sorts yesterday...had the extended family over yesterday...first time in years I've had them over without getting a bit sloshed....while they were here my sis was talking about how she has vivid dreams...I remembered how I used to have vivid dreams before the alcohol stole them away...hopefully they will come back!...
        Anywhoo...have a great day...and again...WTG!!!
        :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

OK... I'm going to the doc tomorrow and getting a script for Topa. I've read this entire thread and I'm convinced. The possible side effects are worth it over the definite side effects of weekend binge drinking.

Paddy, thank you so much for starting this thread and to all of you who have been updating. Keep it up. I'll report my progress with Topa here too. I seem to be managing well with abs during the week but come the weekend, I just can't seem to do it! It's frustrating beyond belief and I am so sick of rolling out of bed at 10am-1pm on Saturday or sunday afternoons.

Doo
          :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

No worries, Doo. Good luck with the Topa. I PM'd you.
            Paddy
            Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Hello, I just started topa last Wed. So far so good. I noticed a large reduction in craving already (I hope it lasts). I'm getting the normal side effects (ie little tired, little foggy, and beer really tastes bad now). I plan on going up in dose every 4-5 days. So far I'm very happy, I did not drink this weekend at all. First time is probably 10 years. My history was/is 8-12 beers a night. i also tried campral, with not much luck. Also I'm male 37 and about 210 pounds. I really hope to lose some weight as well.

Comment

Hey Demimalti,

Great work with your family issues - I hear you there! I've felt strange a few times on this "journey" (hence, my name) when I've had the usual reasons for drinking happen (i.e., bad day at the office, fight with hubby, etc.) but not really the strong, unbendable urge. What a relief, huh? For me now, its really more trying to break the old habit of... well, its the weekend and I'm supposed to drink. I did have a few glasses of wine, but just a few weeks ago I'd finish a complete bottle of wine and even open the next. This weekend, I remember thinking about pouring a third glass on Saturday night, and then opening a diet root beer instead. Simply incredible!!!

Good stuff!

Journey

Comment

Go for it Doo!!

I think I run the risk of becoming a bore about this but for me topa has been a mini miracle - not the complete answer, work still needs to be done, but I think its been the 'factor X' that's made everything possible.

I know it's not for everyone, but it's sure worth a try so good luck.

RR
                  x

Comment

I have to completely echo what Robin just said. While I'm not completely at the stage of 'alcohol-free', I can actually choose NOT to drink, and thanks to Topa be in control.

Currently, I'm on holiday. So, yesterday while sitting in a restaurant, I was invited over for a drink. I was actually able to refuse and just stick to water - in fact, I felt a slight aversion to wine at that moment (and I'm a real vinophile).

So for me Topa has worked miracles, too. Not least it has made it possible to get my life back in order and enabled me to start a relationship which will not be tainted by alcoholism - which has so run in my family for so long ...
                    Paddy

Comment

Can I get this topa stuff in Australia. I guess i will just have to have the courage to ask my doctor. I have tried Campral and Naltrex which were not right for me.

Comment

Hello Groover,

Try your Doctor first, in fact try a few doctors and see how you go - I do agree with many here that is better to take the Topa, or any drug for that matter, under a doctor's supervision.

Having said that, I have to admit that I got my prescription for Topa off-shore from aclepsa.com (you'll see several references to this site above ) basically due to issues to do with the sort of work I do !!!

Before you make any decisions have a really good read, RJ's book, this site generally and this thread in particular. But I must say, the topa - taken as part of an integrated programme - is bloody great stuff! If you need any more information please feel free to send me a personal message, I'll be happy to get back to you.

Good luck,

RR
                        x

Comment

Ah...You put it so well Journey...breaking the habit....I was so used to getting home and grabbing that glass of wine which led to another and another and another and if that wasn't enough something stronger....

For me, I'm going AF for awhile first just to detox and clean out my system from all the abuse I've given it all these years....this is a choice for me...I could drink but just choose not to right now....I am convinced I could not do this without the TOPA.

As Robin stated, the TOPA was a mini-miracle of sorts for me...I don't know how to better describe it other than to say that a "switch" was thrown the day after I started the TOPA. I just didn't care to drink. I COULD but just didn't care to...I could take it or leave it....what a DIFFERENCE...previously, I almost couldn't wait to get that fire water into my system. I won't say it has been easy because it hasn't....I HAVE had some urges or sorts, some anxiety, etc but I've been able to handle it fairly well. And as far as sleep (I was used to drinking myself to sleep) I just take the calms forte and some meletonin and that seems to help (along with the TOPA).

This thread was a great idea Paddy!...congrats on your 12 week mark!
                          :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

I took Topa from November to around February. When I started it kicked in right away to decrease craving and worked very well, for a while. Only side effects were a little foggy thinking in the beginning and some tingliness towards the end, no weight loss. At about 200 mg I became depressed and the Topa just plain stopped working for me, so I stopped. I was taking all supps and hypno too. Now I am doing none of it and back where I started.

I am 46, 5'10", 180 lbs.

Comment

G'day Dipsa,

Did you try decreasing the dose to 175 mgs? Whenever side-effects would hit distract me a bit too much (i.e. fatigue, ringing in my ears - I would titrate down by 25 mgs).

Also, if you continued drinking alcohol along with Topa over a longer period of time, this too could have the effect of Topa losing its effect.
                              Paddy

Comment

I have been reading up on Topa but can't seem to find any info about whether it's safe to take long trm. Does anyone know?

I have a doc appointment in 8 hours time, so I guess she might know.

Has anyone stayed on it for say more than 6 months?

Scooba-Doo-Ba
                                :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Working...
                                X