Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Beaches,

NO WORRIES, about splitting pills. In Vietnam they only have 50 mgs available. So I've been splitting away happily since the beginning.

DON'T, however, UP THE TOPA TOO FAST. Sorry for the caps (I'm not angry, ha, ha). It's just because, this is REALLY important, because it's a mind-altering drug and can cause damage if you handle it wrongly). You should go up 25 mgs at the time. The fastest you should titrate up OR down is 25 mgs over 4 - 7 days, i.e. over a space of 4 - 7 days.

Hope that helps.
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Topa + subs

Just a brief update

I'm still amazed what those extra 25 mgs did! The off-switch is thrown! I haven't had any alcohol in 5 DAYS!! No cravings! ABSOLUTELY NONE! As much as I was passive to taking supplements, I must say that I do take them now. I am on 2 Kudzu in the morning, 2 for lunch. Also L-Glut and Amino Complete. And Milk Thistle. Yeah Babe the whole works.

The only thing I'm wondering is about Kudzu. Anyone heard of any research done on longterm users of Kudzu?
      Paddy

Comment

Hey Patrick!!

I am so happy the Topa is working so well for you!!

However, I do believe that in the end you are going to end up die trying.

heh heh

Can't help it.

The sign off calls me....

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Paddy, from what I have heard about Kudzu you can take it long-term. It is actually used for other things than alcohol cravings. It is an immune system booster, etc. I think it really helps. I finally just got up the gumption to order some Topa and am curious to see how it works for me. I am hoping I am one of the lucky ones who does not have too bad of side effects from it. Your story is very encouraging.....
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hi Paddy glad the extra 25g did the trick.

Still waiting for mine, don't think it will be here for another two weeks yet.

Kitty
            Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
            Confucius

Comment

Hi All, I've been reading the thread about ABs vs Mods, especially Paddy's recent decision to go ABs. I think that we all have to keep in mind that there is no research out there that says that topa should be used to help us with long term moderation. It makes sense that after using it for a while, that we would have a tendencey to "slip back" into our old ways of drinking during times of stress, busy times, etc. Just my 2 cents worth....
              AF Since April 20, 2008
              4 Years!!!
              :lilheart:

Comment

Indeed

momof3;156198 wrote: Hi All, I've been reading the thread about ABs vs Mods, especially Paddy's recent decision to go ABs. I think that we all have to keep in mind that there is no research out there that says that topa should be used to help us with long term moderation. It makes sense that after using it for a while, that we would have a tendencey to "slip back" into our old ways of drinking during times of stress, busy times, etc. Just my 2 cents worth....
                Indeed, I couldn't agreed more. And what's more, as is the case with any drug, the body seems to get used to it and the effect wears off. RJ even said in her book (I can't remember the exact page number) but that if you drink while taking Topa, the medication might lose its effect in the long run, or you might have to up its dose.

This was one of the determining factors for me to finally go AF. I REALLY DON'T WANT to go back to the old ways. Topa should really be the trigger to a new life, not a continuum of what I had been doing for so many years, just with a 'control to it'. It's these moments of stress, and fatigue and emotions that get everything spinning out of control. Not the day to day business of life.

So I fully agree with you, Momo. I'm by the way fully happy to be into my 6th day AF ...:goodjob:
                Paddy

Comment

Second week on Topa. Taking 100 mg. 50 mg after lunch, 50 mg afternoon. Tired. Wine is my weakness. Haven't had any, but tried beer. Tasted terrible. 5'4" weigh 136. I've been hungrier than normal. Hope that stops. Brain a little foggy. Taking all the other supplements.

This is going to work.

FinallyReady

Comment

Good for you Paddy. Six days alcohol Free! How are you feeling? Just think, without the topa, you would have probably never have gotten to this point. I am currently on 100 mgs of topa. Went up to 150 at one point but it was too much for me. I was way too tired. Anyhow, I am doing the mods thing fairly well--2 - 3 glasses of wine per day, but I could easily see it creeping up. AF is probably going to be the way that I have to go too. Just not there yet. Momo:goodjob:
                    AF Since April 20, 2008
                    4 Years!!!
                    :lilheart:

Comment

G'day Momo.

I'm feeling really good. Hey, about you being tired when on Topa, I felt exactly the same for a while. I think many of us just are not patient enough to stick out the side effects for a while. I nearly wasn't. And if it had not been for for the support of pple on this site AND of my doctor who told me that the body can take up to 3 weeks to one month to get used to the Topa effects (before they eventually stop), I would've just thrown in the towel ...

But the thing is, the doc also told me, if the effects would not go away after one month, I would have to lower the dose.

That's my 2 cents worth. So you decide, but why not wait for another moment, maybe an upcoming holiday and try again? And maybe aim for AF.
                      Paddy

Comment

Longterm Topa Users - What's your OFF Switch Dose? What's your Strategy?

For those of you who have been following this thread, I've been on Topa since February 2007. I will be starting my 6th months on it tomorrow.

Currently, I'm on 225 mgs, which is my dose for the Alcohol OFF SWITCH. Together with L-Glut and Kudzu, I have been able to stay off the booze for 8 days with no cravings whatsoever. I attribute this, however, entirely to the Topa. I could see it the first day I titrated the dose up from 200 to 225 mgs (so just 25 mgs), I had a disgust for alcohol. I had my usual Chardonnay, but downed it not with the usual ease and enjoyment. Day 2 I left off it altogether. And that was that.

In any case, I've got two questions on you, the longterm Topa users:

1. Do you have an Alcohol Switch OFF Dose on Topa? If so, what the mgs?
                        2. What's your long term strategy with Topa? How long do you plan to take Topa?

My strategy:

Well, I plan to take Topa on the current 225 mgs at least for another year (subject to my blood tests, of course). After that, I might titrate down and continue on the supplements.

BUT, I am not sure yet. I might chose to stay on a lower dose of Topa I feel the cravings come back. It depends much on what my way of life looks like. I guess, I will do my utmost to use this year to change it so much so that alcohol has no place in it. Also in a way that I learn to say no on social occasions. I guess that'll be the hardest part. Particularly on official functions, which I have to attend to a lot, due to my job.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your input on the issue.
                        Paddy

Comment

Paddy,
                          Great question. I am working my way back up to my "switch off" dose. I was once up to 200 mg which worked wonders then backed down and disaster emerged so now once again I am at 150mg working my way back up the ladder.

Like you I don't want to be on Topa forever an will be interested to here success stories of how people have come off it and remained AF. I would like to be on it no longer than a year but I guess time will tell because I haven't even gotten to the full shut off yet.

Thanks for posing the question, I will be following along.
                          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hi Paddy-

I'm just going to copy what I wrote in Monthly Abs-

I just recently stopped Topa after 5 months @ 125mg. I didn't need to go higher as the cravings stopped. I never took the supps. After conquering triggers that would have caused me to drink in the past -I was given the confidence to know I can do it-with or without Topa. Those little accomplishments do add up & empower you. Now it's just the mental cravings-those stupid thoughts that enter the brain.

*side note: I was more successful on Topa for 5 months @125 mgs doing it completely AF then trying Topa 2 yrs ago @100 mgs for 10 mnths while moderating. The moderation did not work while on Topa for me. I constantly over did it-another endless cycle of failure & success. Being AF while taking Topa - I'm the longest AF since I began my journey. Going on 7 months and I don't miss a thing. I'm finally enjoying with eyes wide open. No worries-just freedom from the bottle. Just have to work on the brain thoughts.....
                            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Paddy:

I'm really having a hard time. This is week 5 for me and began 150 mgs yesterday. I have had no side effects at all. I guess the "only" thing that is a benefit is that I am not passing out anymore and I do not seem to be drinking as many beers nor wanting to stay up drinking. yippee. I will go up to 175 on Saturday. I am taking 2 kudzu and lglut with my afternoon dose. I am doing the subliminal learning tape in my car. I am not alone enough to do the other tapes. I am extremely frustrated but I am NOT going to give up. I have noticed that I seem depressed, but I that is not unusual. I titrated off my antidepressant to begin the topamax - this is so much more important to me. I know I need to do all the other supps, but until the topa begins to work, I feel like it is a waste.

Take care...

Comment

Good luck Help...never give up. Keep us posted.

p.s. did you order Topa or get a prescription? If you ordered I'd wonder if you got a placebo.
                                :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X