Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Is Topamax addictive?

Is Topamax addictive - seems a lot of you have been on it for a long time -does it have long term effects?

Comment

:new: Hey there

I'm new. As per my name, I'm a long-term weekend binger. I've made my way up to 100mg's in a month on Topa and had to level off for a bit. Felt WAY TOO "DUM" at work and felt it was noticeable. Now I can type a little better and think straight. Soooo how'd I do????

Well...I lost a few pounds but I think my appetite is slowly returning.
      Oh...The bigger question, drinking? I'm still able to drink the average person under the table BUT, hold the phone, things are different. I'm definitely not as nutty. Sad as it is to admit I can remember putting myself to bed on all of the Fri and Sat nights since about 50 mgs. Something can be said for that!

I will try for 150 mg's soon and put other methods into place, haven't done anything other than order pills, take them and read this website. I can do more than that.

So Hi ALL- Glad I found this place and all it's members! :-)

Comment

L-Glutamine

Mollydog;137997 wrote: Hi , I don't remember the book mentioning L-Glut and when I ordered the basic 6 week supply with book and CDs it wasn't included. Sounds like it it helpful. I tried other supps for a few days but they made me feel very ill. Still waiting, after 4 weeks, for my Topa from Aclepsa. When I get it (IF !!!) I am going to try again. Any suggestions?
        You have to order the L-glut extra. You can buy it at health food stores. Sorry the supps made you feel ill. They are worth sticking with. I mix the All One with a diet cranberry juice and can hardly taste it at all. Also, you will find an updated supplement sheet in the "Important Program Updates" under "Be sure to visit" on the "Home" page. It's in the Nutrition section in the second paragraph MWO 2006 update sheet. It says you can take 1,000 - 3,000 mg per day but I have read that up to 13g per day is perfectly safe. It's up to you. I take about 8 - 10g per day. My cravings are minimal.

Best of luck. marcel
        Reach deep, find your will power.

Comment

Thank you all - this has been so helpful. I have tried the topa a couple of times and could not get past 25 as I was so brain fogged I could not work. I'm going to wait a week until I have some time off work and try again - it does sound like it gets better. Also glad to know that the miracle almost immediate loss of craving described in the book and which I have been so disappointed not to have is not that typical and gives me hope. It seems a few others have had stomach/intestinal issues with the vitamins and supplements so I'm not alone in that either. I'm just taking the vitamins now until I work through that, then will add kudzu, etc. I did find the pouring L-glutamine straight on my tongue REALLY helped with craving tonight. Thanks all - so helpful.

Comment

Thanks Marcel. I am going to get some L-Glut and try it while I am waiting for my Topa to come !!! I appreciate your answer. Good luch. Talk to you soon.

Comment

Marcel,

What specific L-Glut product do you buy? Do you get it on-line?

Thanks
              AF Since April 20, 2008
              4 Years!!!
              :lilheart:

Comment

momof3,
                May Way Out has their own brand they sell on this web site in their health food store which I liked very much. However, I ran out and had to find some in a health food store for emergency use and found the NOW sports brand at Central Market which is a United grocery market chain. You can find Now sports brand supplements on line, too, but again if you're going to get it on line anyway the My Way Out brand is really good.
                Luck.

Comment

PS: That's the 1000 mg size.
                  marcel

Comment

Thanks Marcel, Are you doing extra amino acids too? I'm just doing the amino's in the All One formula.
                    AF Since April 20, 2008
                    4 Years!!!

Comment

Update, 30 Days AF

OK, Here's an Update...Hit the 30 Day AF Mark...been on TOPA for 31 days now..

Taking 125mg of Topa daily...stayed at 100mg of TOPA for a couple of weeks as it seemed my cravings were fine but it seemed they were increasing a bit so I thought I'd increase the dosage a bit. Taking all the supps plus SAMe and a couple of other supps. 3-6 mg of Melitonin before bed to assist with sleep.

Still getting the periodic tingling in my feet and sometimes fingers usually about an hour after taking my TOPA...it usually wears off within an hour.

Fatigue/sleepiness level is still a bit high. Tired especially in the afternoon and evening. Had the day off yesterday and thought I'd take a nap to try and catch up on sleep...napped for three hours...thought that would help but still a bit tired today.....will keep plugging away.

Still having some slight problems with words and thinking....and some "brain fog"..wandering/fuzziness of the brain/mind from time to time but nothing major...not sure that it is any different than when on alcohol.

Emotionally I have been down...from reading other posts that may be due to alcohol being taken completely out of my diet when I was taking so much in previously. My system was probably relient on it and is rebelling...perhaps some extra L-glut will help with that and I'll give it a try.

Cravings...they come and go...for the most part I don't have any but they do come periodically...every now and then they creap in, especially when I've had a rough day. It has not been a total easy ride but the TOPA and supplements have taken the edge off. I suppose one of the most difficult parts is figuring out what to do...When you are so used to drinking every day and you stop drinking something is missing from your daily routine...with what do you replace it?....I constantly sit on the couch with the feeling that something is missing or that I am missing something or someone.....

I have had no metallic taste in my mouth and have no funny taste when I drink carbinated beverages.

Moving on.......
                      :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

[QUOTE=demimalti;139458]I suppose one of the most difficult parts is figuring out what to do...When you are so used to drinking every day and you stop drinking something is missing from your daily routine...with what do you replace it?....I constantly sit on the couch with the feeling that something is missing or that I am missing something or someone.....

QUOTE]

That's how I feel to the TEE

Comment

Good on you guys! Hang in there. The fatigue will go away. I felt exactly the same. Make sure you eat healthily and get enough rest. From one day to the next, it'll go away. Make sure you'll get some Vitamin C into you as well.

My doc said with the TOPA you'd have to wait about 30 days until your body gets used to it. The side effects will subside.

Best
                          Paddy
                          Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Paddy;139726 wrote: Good on you guys! Hang in there. The fatigue will go away. I felt exactly the same. Make sure you eat healthily and get enough rest. From one day to the next, it'll go away. Make sure you'll get some Vitamin C into you as well.

My doc said with the TOPA you'd have to wait about 30 days until your body gets used to it. The side effects will subside.

Best
                            Thanks Paddy....I'm sucking down a bunch of Vitamin C...trying to get five or six extra grams in a day...supposed to help...
                            :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Momof3, sorry to be so slow. I am traveling. I thought L-glut was an amino acid supplement. I also think the GABA is, too. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Paddy: I, too, like cloudjockey and demimalti feel like I have lost something. Like there is a great big hole in my life now. My doctor has told me that that is normal. That doesn't make it feel better. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it feel better?

Comment

Thanks Marcel, You're right, L-glut is an amino acid--duh on me. Well, I am currently on 50 mg of Topa and not feeling much of a reduction of cravings. I'm hopeful that I will begin to feel something when I get into the 100's because that seems to be where others experience it.
                                AF Since April 20, 2008
                                4 Years!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X