TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can so relate to Journey and Dem when it comes to drink as fast as you can. I have made it to 100 and plan to stay there. I don't think I can go any higher because I am so tired and can't work if I am so tired all the time. And it is wonderful and so freeing not to think about what time I can have a glass of wine .... I just pray this stays like this. I don't want to go back to the way I was. I know I have to work of the "triggers" now that I have gotten my brain to settle down. The topa has definetly given me the help and support to work on it. Now it is up to me.
    It's a brand new day!

Comment

Peggy

I'm staying on 100mgs and its doing the job for me - not 100% of the job, there's still a little place for a bit of will power in there in that I still get the odd urge for a nice crisp white (which I sometimes indulge - one only - and sometimes don't, but can ALWAYS handle!)

With regard to the tiredness as I mentioned in the mods board I reckon this will pass - well it has for me. I am also sleeping so ,so much better. How about you?

I really love this thread where we can talk about the effects of the medication (like right old grandmas and grandpas going on about out arthritis medication!) as I reckon it's going to be so important to work out how to handle the next steps in longer term management. So the more informatin we have the better.

Anyway I'm babbling. Off to ride my horse!!!

luv,

Robin
      x

PS
      'Morning all!
      x

Comment

G'day Robin and All,

It's so true regarding the chat on Topa worries. That's part of the reason why I started this thread. The reason that prevented me from taking Topa earlier was that I was scared sh... of the side-effects. The mere fact of reading a few experiences of people going through the same stuff (and knowing that these side effects are actually just TEMPORARY) put my mind to rest.

Some of you brought up the fatigue issue with Topa. Bear with this, too. If you feel tired, don't give up. Be patient and keep taking it for a couple of weeks. This side effect usually goes away after two or max three weeks. My doctor actually said that with all side effects linked to medication (minor side effects that is, of course), you should monitor your body for a month. Then, the side effect should go away. And if they don't, then something should be done, like either reducing the dose or some alternative treatment.
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

just got my topa and looking for guidace as to how to icrease dossage. 43 year old male 6 ft 225

Comment

I'm also male 37 5'8" 210. I increased a little fast becasue I wanted to stop drinking really badly and I could not wait. I was willing to deal with any side effects of topa. I went with 25 mg in the evening for 5 days (not much problems, kinda tired). Even at 25 mg, the craving really were much better. Next 5 days I went to 25 mg am. and then pm. for a total of 50mg. Still tired, but not really too bad. I have no desire to drink now. This has been a miricle drug for me. I also started to work out this is helping. I just went to 25 mg in the am. and 50mg in the pm. yesterday. I plan on doing this for 5 days and then going to 50 am and 50 pm for a total of 100 mg. I may stop here and see if this work for me. The side effects are far worth, much ,much ,much better then a hang over everyday. good luck

Comment

I just posted and wanted to add that I went faster then you maybe should, I think most people increase or titrate about 25 mg every week (7 days). The is a report called the Lancet study that talks about the titration schedule. It can be found in the FAQ section.

Comment

Titrating issues

Thanks so much for your input, Cloudjockey -

For all the others who will at some point want to try Topa, you will not want to do the fast track. It is a gamble, because Topa is after all a drug altering the wiring of your brain, so it is to be dealt with carefully - with utmost care (of course, like Cloudjockey, it's up to each one's discretion to experiment, but frankly, why run risks, if you can achieve good results in one week?).

Slowly does it. Better safe than sorry. The fastest I'd go would be titrating every 4 days.
                Paddy
                Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Hi,

I've passed by this thread for the past few weeks because, frankly, I was afraid of taking Topamax without doctor assistance and because I was, quite simply, just afraid. However, after reading the last several pages, I've decided that I am going to order it online and give it a try. I am currently taking Lexapro for depression and anxiety and Lunesta for sleep issues. Is anyone taking either of the meds with the Topamax. I'd willingly stop both if I needed to in order to try the Topamax.

I am having my annual blood work done in a few weeks. I have been feeling really rundown and fatigued (probably due to abuse of alcohol). I have cut back on my drinking since finding MYO, but I still have a big problem with self control when I do drink. I drank all but 17 days last month and each of those days it was to the point of drunkedness. Once I know there are no problems with my bloodwork, I'm going to give Topamax a try. All of the information shared here has been very enlightening. What a great thread! Thanks everyone.

Julie

Comment

Just got the book and the 4 cds. I am excited to try it all. I noticed in the newsletter that one drug under consideration is Celexa and I had to respond. Last year I went to my PCP for my conserns over my alcohol use- he said that I was depressed and gave me celexa- 2 mos later all it did was make me feel not guilty about my drinking! (no urge decrease) Went to a therapist who after 3 visits, didnt feel the need to see me- I was not depressed. Said to just control my wine- HA!

Comment

Julie, you and I sound very similar in every post! I also started back on Lexapro a week ago to help control anxiety (issues with my ex) and have been wondering the same thing re the combination. I have a feeling that they are ok to mix but I'm not 100% sure. I'll post back my findings here.

I'm really looking forward to the Topa arriving and seeing how I go with it. I feel as though I really need to get past this Fri/Sat/Sun drinking (I also drink to the point of drunk, which I hate to admit, I partly enjoy), so I have a real love/hate relationship with alcohol which I need to try and deal with. I think if I am on topa for a few months, and give ABS a solid bash, it might give me the time I need to work through the psychological addiction I have with it.

Scoob
                      :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

many folks have discussed topa and weight loss. while i am sure it impacts craving for food as well as alcohol to a certain degree, two things to remember.

1. when going af or experiencing a substantial reduction in your alcohol consumption you are eliminating a great deal of carbohydrates historically consumed by drinking.

2. alcohol as a depressant slows down the bodies metabolism, eliminate the alcohol and speed up the metabolic rate thus burning more calories.

eliminate these two items and you are bound to lose weight independent of the topa.

Comment

Good point! Adding to CSG, the liver is the supreme fat burning/metabolising organ and we all know that alcohol reduces the efficiency of the liver, so when the liver has a proper detox, it becomes more efficient leading to weight/fat loss.

Several times I have stopped or drastically reduced drinking for one reason or another and each time, when I have hit the 6 week mark, I have very suddenly noticed a massive plummet in my weight, while keeping the diet the same. I'm convinced it's to do with the liver for me.

Scooby

Comment

Julie and others

I just got back from my pharmacy/chemist where I was having my Lexapro script filled. I asked the Pharmacist about interactions between Topa & Lexapro, and she looked up her MIMs online (medical journal/bible of all drugs) and she said that there is no negative interaction so it's fine to take both. I asked her to print out the MIM's decriptions for Topiramate/Topamax which she kindly did (YES!) and it does however say that anti-depressants with the drug 'venlafaxine' should NOT be taken with Topa (I think Effexor might be based on that drug, but I'm not 100% sure... so if you're taking Effexor, I'd look into it, for sure)... so all good news for Lexapro users!

Julie, or if anyone wants me to scan the document, let me know and I'll scan and email it to you. It's from the MIM's published January 2007.

Scooby

Comment

Progress Report

Good Morning All....
                              Just a quick progress report......
                              16 days on TOPA/DOPA now...up to 100mg a day...50 AM 50 PM...increased to 100mg two days ago...seem to be handling it fairly well...some fatigue primarily in the afternoon/evening...some word loss/brain fog and a few other things but can't remember right now........noticed a little tingling in my feet yesterday afternoon but nothing I can't deal with.

But the really good news....15 DAYS AF...as I reported previously the TOPA was kind of like a switch for me...from the second day I just really didn't have a desire to drink this is the longest I've gone in years....AND I don't feel ill anymore...I was to the point where I felt physically ill pretty much all day every day, I believe my immune system was pretty compromised. I still have a cough hanging on a bit but it is getting better...NOW....all of this ISN't to say it has been a piece of cake...that it has been a total walk in the park because it hasn't.....when I've had a rough day I've been at a loss for what to do...in the past I'd run for the bottle...now I don't know what to do... ....I'm trying to substitute juice...not quite the same but it will work.....
                              tony
                              :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Hi there

Does anyone know if you can take TOPA whilst taking the anti cancer female treatment tamoxifan/femara (which will be for life), many thanks for your advice.

Bluesky

PS - have a good day
                                It is easier to stay out than get out.

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X