Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UKBlonde's Sinclair Method journey

Cool.

Longer term sobriety (for me that got as far as 2.5. yrs recently) is something else. It's out of this world really. Powerful, empowering, exciting, liberating, and wild.

Def worth having a crack at some of that.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Have you heard of the LightLake project? Dr. Sinclair abandoned his efforts on using TSM for alcoholism in order to turn his efforts toward it.

It is based on The Sinclair Method except for it's application is targeted specifically toward eating disorders such as binge eating and bulimia nervosa. Instead of using naltrexone they were using naloxone, the extremely potent, yet short acting opioid antagonist used to counteract heroin overdoses.

They were going to, or did, develop it into a nasal spray formulation that patients were to use immediately before partaking in binge eating or bulimia type behaviors.

I hadn't seen development on the project in a couple of years but there is definitely some movement now.

Welcome to Lightlake Therapeutics Inc.

However, I could only find Dr. Sinclair himself on the old Finnish website: Lightlake

Google translate it to English and then click the "ABOUT U.S." tab. There he is, in the flesh.
      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
      :what?:
      sigpic
      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
      A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

Lo0p;1538074 wrote: Have you heard of the LightLake project? Dr. Sinclair abandoned his efforts on using TSM for alcoholism in order to turn his efforts toward it.

It is based on The Sinclair Method except for it's application is targeted specifically toward eating disorders such as binge eating and bulimia nervosa. Instead of using naltrexone they were using naloxone, the extremely potent, yet short acting opioid antagonist used to counteract heroin overdoses.

They were going to, or did, develop it into a nasal spray formulation that patients were to use immediately before partaking in binge eating or bulimia type behaviors.

I hadn't seen development on the project in a couple of years but there is definitely some movement now.

Welcome to Lightlake Therapeutics Inc.

However, I could only find Dr. Sinclair himself on the old Finnish website: Lightlake

Google translate it to English and then click the "ABOUT U.S." tab. There he is, in the flesh.
        No but I'll be getting in touch with them.
        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Whenever I was sub 8% bodyfat I searched for sources of that nasal naloxone. I even thought about posing as the loved one of a heroin addict that *might* need it one day.

I was trying to counteract the hormones that tell your brain you are starving because you have no fat. I would get up in the middle of the night and semi-consciously devour containers of ice cream that I spiked with chocolate chips, sweet cereals, you name it. :H
          :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
          :what?:
          sigpic
          Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
          A Forum
          Trolls need not apply

Comment

Lo0p;1538172 wrote: Whenever I was sub 8% bodyfat I searched for sources of that nasal naloxone. I even thought about posing as the loved one of a heroin addict that *might* need it one day.

I was trying to counteract the hormones that tell your brain you are starving because you have no fat. I would get up in the middle of the night and semi-consciously devour containers of ice cream that I spiked with chocolate chips, sweet cereals, you name it. :H
            I've probably been down to 9% this year but have regularly slept-ate in a similar manner in the middle of the night at levels of 15-21% - for a woman this is probably the equivalent of 10% for a man. Some of it is emotional twice in the last 5 years I've got myself up to almost obese within a short space of time by eating 2 or 3 takeaways at every meal even when bodyfat was fairly healthy, alongside drinking - last time was when I was on high dose baclofen. I'm very lucky my skin hasn't been affected but I think there are 2 elements to this, no 3 - emotional, physical and the addict side.

Just wanted to add I have come across another woman who is using Naltrexone with an ED, she binge eats and uses 150mg Nal every day to beat cravings. She says it really helps. I don't want to put those sort of doses through my body, I think it'll have detrimental effect on my mental health and could possibly start causing liver problems. I do know 50mg, or even the 100mg I sometimes take if needing to top up, once or twice a week(not every day) is fairly safe and definitely more than enough for me.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

So I'm 12 and a bit days AF, all going fine. I've had the odd "Oh had a long, good day let's have a drink of wine" thoughts but they are batted away easily. I have continued with eating excessive chocolate - and I mean stuffing my face each evening. I know I can sort this out and it requires me to avoid sugar, get a goal and get focussed again.

Coincidentally attended a nutrition course in the last few days, I mentioned sugars and alcoholics. Another person there said they had a relative who was/had been alcoholic and they had noticed how they pour sugar into their hot drinks, cereal, always adding it to their foods. The link is definitely there and I'm of the opinion it's something you don't feed, it's something you cut out and avoid. This appeared to be the opinion of the nutritionist also.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

So 23 or is it 24 days down the line, what's been happening?not a lot. Actually loads of stresses and strains in personal life but that's how my life tends to be - I'm one of those people 'things' happen to.

I've not had any cravings or struggles and back in "no thank you I gave up alcohol" mode. My last dose of naltrexone was almost 2 weeks ago, took it for a food binge but not sure it's helping with that issue.

Every so often I sort of reminisce a bit, think wouldn't it be nice to have a drink on this trip, at this social but then I remind myself why bother?I don't want the risk of a backslide either now nor anytime in the future. I might be cured now, but who knows what the future holds. It would be easy for me to say, "Ah sod it I have naltrexone I can drink".

I have a friend on facebook, keeps posting photos of himself drinking, status's about drinking and it's going on on a daily basis. I like this person however I don't know them well enough to say "Hey are you ok". I could be completely and utterly wrong, but it's in the back of my head quite a bit. I'm not sure the person knows I have experience with this thing, or if they'll ask. All I can hope is that if there is a problem fate will intervene. I really hope so, I find it fairly painful and upsetting to see or hear of anyone suffering with alcohol.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

UK,

I agree with the sugar/alcohol link. I think it is why I became such a huge drunk when I had my gastric bypass. I could no longer eat sugar. It made me "dump" which is horrific.

Wine then vodka soothed that craving very nicely, thank you.

I met a nutritionist in my last rehab. Her message was something I have been thinking about lately. Don't think of nutrition in terms of diet. Eat what you enjoy and choose those things that make your body feel better. I had always had a different view of food.

She told me to imagine that I was a car. I am not a clunker, I am a Ferrari. Feed the Ferrari. :-)

I am finding that learning how to live sober means a whole lot more than just learning how to live without drinking. Some days are so much easier than others but some days are tremendously challenging. I find myself lost at times.

Adrift.

It is much easier to "know" I need to work on so many areas of living my life sober than it is to actually live it.

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

AF is easier and easier. I am to the point I despise the feeling from the naltrexone and just want to stop it all. I think it eventually happens to most people who keep on TSM.

The sugar link is there. I can't keep the stuff in my house. I am still getting back to pre alcoholic weight. Bucket loads of sugar aren't helpful.

Years ago, I went to AA after a binge where I was scared. One of the older people there asked me to go to Starbucks for coffee. He handed me several packets of honey and told me the sugar would help. And that makes sense: I have read in several places alcohol is metabolized in a similar fashion.

Ukblonde;1539803 wrote:
                    So I'm 12 and a bit days AF, all going fine. I've had the odd "Oh had a long, good day let's have a drink of wine" thoughts but they are batted away easily. I have continued with eating excessive chocolate - and I mean stuffing my face each evening. I know I can sort this out and it requires me to avoid sugar, get a goal and get focussed again.

Coincidentally attended a nutrition course in the last few days, I mentioned sugars and alcoholics. Another person there said they had a relative who was/had been alcoholic and they had noticed how they pour sugar into their hot drinks, cereal, always adding it to their foods. The link is definitely there and I'm of the opinion it's something you don't feed, it's something you cut out and avoid. This appeared to be the opinion of the nutritionist also.
                    Sinclair Method (50mg naltrexone one hour before drinking)

Pre TSM 80-90 Units Per Week, No Alc Free Days

After control: 3-6 units per month, 25+ alcohol free days!

Comment

Heavy Fuel;1545436 wrote: AF is easier and easier. I am to the point I despise the feeling from the naltrexone and just want to stop it all. I think it eventually happens to most people who keep on TSM.

The sugar link is there. I can't keep the stuff in my house. I am still getting back to pre alcoholic weight. Bucket loads of sugar aren't helpful.

Years ago, I went to AA after a binge where I was scared. One of the older people there asked me to go to Starbucks for coffee. He handed me several packets of honey and told me the sugar would help. And that makes sense: I have read in several places alcohol is metabolized in a similar fashion.
                      It's a bit like, what's the point. I'm convinced it trains you out of even liking the stuff, which is fine by me! To some that might sound off-putting, I know people who set out to moderate and don't like it when nal takes away the enjoyment - infact some report stopping the nal so they can enjoy alcohol again. Sounds bonkers to me, but that's the cunning, baffling part of alcoholism.

I don't give 2 hoots if it makes me hate the stuff, if it saves my life and gets me quality of life back (and although some people won't believe it, you can enjoy life without wine, spirits, whatever you drink there is a very enjoyable life to be had AF).

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Was posting away on the Army thread last night and wanted to make a record of something I wrote here.

I believe Naltrexone and the Sinclair Method allowed me to drink alcohol for a period as a non-addicted person, and I've obviously taken a decision to go AF.

Why?

I was able to realise I really didn't enjoy drinking alcohol and I couldn't find any benefit in it whatsoever. I noticed if I drank I'd be really conscious about how it affected my behaviour, speech and reactions even after a comparatively small amount of alcohol - just one or two small drinks. Feeling these effects without the burning hunger to follow made me think why do I then drink. I affects how I speak, I'm actually more stressed about things like remembering words, talking normally, putting one foot infront of the other to go to the loos, counting units to make sure I'm not over the limit when I drive. As a non-addicted person all of this just wasn't worth it. I'd rather just have a coffee or tea.

It's also made me now wonder do 'normal' people drink out of conformity, habit or are a large proportion of the population addicted to alcohol in some way, however slight that may be?

I am not a conspiracy theorist however I am interested in human behaviour.

I'm also very proud to be AF.

I could drink if I wanted to, but I chose not to.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

UKB, I am so impressed as I watch you evolve through this alcohol maze. You've been on the site a long time and so have I. I feel like I'm watching someone mature and blossom. So happy for you.

Comment

I'm new, so please forgive my ignorance. What does "AF" stand for?

Comment

DS, AF stands for alcohol free. Welcome, by the way!

Comment

population addicted?

I think you are right UK Blonde. I think Alan Carr covers this well in his book about the Easy Way to Stop Drinking. He sees alcohol as a honey trap and people are just in various stages of addiction, different degrees of sliding into it. I think that the population is addicted in general, but to many different degrees. It's a stress reliever and it's thought to be good for socializing. I believe that those who have the worst problems are often those who have mental issues that increase the risk for more severe problems and falls into the trap (bipolar, anxiety, depression, PTSD).

Comment

Working...
                                X