UKBlonde's Sinclair Method journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nancy;1549855 wrote: I think you are right UK Blonde. I think Alan Carr covers this well in his book about the Easy Way to Stop Drinking. He sees alcohol as a honey trap and people are just in various stages of addiction, different degrees of sliding into it. I think that the population is addicted in general, but to many different degrees. It's a stress reliever and it's thought to be good for socializing. I believe that those who have the worst problems are often those who have mental issues that increase the risk for more severe problems and falls into the trap (bipolar, anxiety, depression, PTSD).
    I am starting to believe Nal/TSM took me back to pre-addiction state, right back to when I first took a drink(I had issues with it early in my drinking career). If you remember back I think most people turned their nose up at the taste of alcohol, much like they do if they try smoking. Our taste buds get trained and we think we like it.
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

I've not a lot to say apart from I'm still AF and it's mostly no effort at all, I could drink if I wanted to but I like the achievement of being AF.

When I was drinking with TSM there were no real complications or consequences, but this has made life even simpler. I can now drive 24/7, any day of the week if I need to(I have a zero for the road policy), can go out, come home and go to bed ready for the next day. No wine to buy in, and I've decided I really do not like pubs - don't like the smell and there's no reason to go in there. What a change when years ago I saw them as warm, comforting and exciting places.

I have been to some events most people would associate with drinking, concerts, meals out, club nights but I'm ok with a coffee, diet coke, fizzy water or nothing at all.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

UK,

This is a wonderful thread and your last post sounds so good and positive.

I recall a friend of mine who is Moslem used to tell me that "Cindi, no good can come from drinking. Why do it at all?"

I often think of his words now that I am AF. I can think of truly no really positive reason to drink. There is the sedative effect, etc, but that isn't really good when you come right down to it.

Do you plan on staying AF or do you really just don't care either way?

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders;1551779 wrote: UK,

This is a wonderful thread and your last post sounds so good and positive.

I recall a friend of mine who is Moslem used to tell me that "Cindi, no good can come from drinking. Why do it at all?"

I often think of his words now that I am AF. I can think of truly no really positive reason to drink. There is the sedative effect, etc, but that isn't really good when you come right down to it.

Do you plan on staying AF or do you really just don't care either way?

Cindi
          I can't see any benefit in drinking and am not willing to risk a return to where I was 3 years ago, so I plan on staying AF long term.

It's well over 2 months now, I'm on 60 something days.

In a restaurant last week I did want to grab a glass of wine and drink it, but truth be told the smell puts me right off. Boyfriend had a glass of wine last night and his lips tasted sour. Poured an old bottle of wine down the toilet today, and the smell (ok it'd be a bit off but it was mostly winey smell) turned my stomach. Had reason to go in student bar yesterday and I was struck by the beer smell, which was not attractive. I just don't go in pubs any more and it was wierd. Not a place I wanted to stay in, it held zero appeal. Now pubs were my downfall in the past, I loved them. Would sit for hours with paper and pints, go for meals, get drunk. Now I can't stand the places. Wonder if Nal has also dulled the experience of pubs?Really hope so.

I've almost forgotten about drinking alcohol, I walk past the off licence, go in it to buy food or soft drinks I've omitted to get from the supermarket and feel fine. No draw towards the booze, it's just something I'm not interested in.

Have used Nal with some eating episodes, don't know if it's working but I had a week or two where I didn't bother and was really comfort eating large quantities, past stuffed, to really quite dangerous. I may as well try and use the Nal, it's there and combined with other techniques, just like with the alcohol I think I can beat this.

Just in case anyone is wondering I'm also long clean of any reccie drugs, or medication in general, I don't consume ANYTHING which could be mind altering bar caffeine which I moderate. I do take vitamins and other supplements but only really started with these when I got into my second year of recovery and only because I am training at a high level for a sport.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Ukblonde;1561512 wrote:

and only because I am training at a high level for a sport.
            Croquet?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Dr Chick has been on the radio today speaking about prescribing the new improved version of Naltrexone called Nalmefene.

BBC News - Alcohol cravings drug nalmefene granted approval in Scotland

Interestingly enough this article refers to the Dopamine system, naltrexon and Nalmefene works on the endorphins/opoid receptor systems in the brain, as far as I'm aware it has no effect on dopamine.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Ukblonde;1565597 wrote: Dr Chick has been on the radio today speaking about prescribing the new improved version of Naltrexone called Nalmefene.

BBC News - Alcohol cravings drug nalmefene granted approval in Scotland

Interestingly enough this article refers to the Dopamine system, naltrexon and Nalmefene works on the endorphins/opoid receptor systems in the brain, as far as I'm aware it has no effect on dopamine.
                Where is that guy located UKBlonde, Its not being marketed into the ROI currently so I would have to be travelling to UK and probably PAYING a shitload for a script as im not a UK citizen.

Comment

Blue79;1566830 wrote: Where is that guy located UKBlonde, Its not being marketed into the ROI currently so I would have to be travelling to UK and probably PAYING a shitload for a script as im not a UK citizen.
                  Edinburgh, had also heard he consults in London too.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Thank you for your story UKB. I am about 3 weeks in to taking Nal. Had a brief and major dip in my intake which is now climbing back up. I enjoy drinking on Nal so wonder if its not working for me? I'm willing to keep at it for now, but would like to read more encouraging long term stories. Any suggestions?

Comment

lisalisalisa;1570019 wrote: I'm willing to keep at it for now, but would like to read more encouraging long term stories. Any suggestions?

thesinclairmethod.com • Index page

Comment

tmorties;1570021 wrote: thesinclairmethod.com • Index page
                        Yes, and I did enjoy drinking safely using Naltrexone, it was only towards the end, I'd say 18 months in did I really dislike alcohol to the point where I couldn't drink it any more so do not worry.

Oh and the initial dip is a good sign.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

I'm now over 4 months AF.

I did have a struggle at the weekend;

Away from home
                          Going out with heavy drinkers
                          Tired and starting a diet
                          Mildy stressed

I looked up AA meetings, yes I will go to one because I know they are there if I need to talk, and to gain inspiration. Couldn't get to one at the time. Did have a little nibble when out, made sure I loudly and firmly asked for soft drinks. When asked why I wasn't drinking I came clean and told of my previous problem. A lot of respect was given. I left when I got bored, and started a new day the next day.

I did get a little down thinking "gosh I have to do this for the rest of my life", I just hope I can do this every day, every week for the next 50 years. I know I can't and don't want to risk going back.

I've not drank alcohol without taking Nal since I started this 2 years, 7 months ago and I haven't drunk alcohol since 22nd July 2013. I don't use any other meds and when I don't drink I don't use Naltrexone.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Just wrote a long supportive reply and lost it UK Blonde.

You did well and you made the right choices for you. Try not to agonise too much over the future cos it just gets to be too much.

You are brave and you rationally survived a tough situation. More strength to you!

Comment

just popped in after s long time away.am delighted to see you doing so well. a massive inspiration. I've been dabbling with nal.if i wait 2-3 hours i absolutely can't face alcohol.but it makes me pretty yukky
                              very well done.and thanks for all
                              the info
                              Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                              Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Great going on over 4 mths AF UK. Congratulations and keep up the beaut work.

Gidday Spud! Great to see you.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X