Baclofen years later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen years later

Having been involved in this for about 4 years now, I can see the pattern quite clearly. First there is the discovery that baclofen stops craving, so you slow down drinking, stop maybe...but relapse regularly until you hit a switch, or maybe you don't hit a switch, but it helps. Then you get stuck in and it really starts to work. Then you find youself suffering from a euphoria about it all which carries on for some time, then starts to fade away when you realize that the whole world hasn't changed in step with your recovery and you still have most of the lousy problems you always did.

But after getting to grips with all this, making adjustments, getting additional meds....you are effectively cured. Probably this is because the reduction in drinking allows the brain to recover and that takes a long time, maybe a few years. So, don't think it is a quick fix...fix, yes...quick, no. It does work, gives you back your life. But the sh.ts are still out there. It is when you finally come to that realization that you do something, like start posting on a proper site like the baclofenforalcoholism site where those of us who have passed through this hell and come out the other side, have realized that the entire English speaking world has only this forum where baclofen is drug number four on a sub thread on a holistic medicine site selling L-glutamine, where doctors don't post and sufferers go round and round in circles regurgitating the same information which then disappears like a needle into a haystack of threads. And, in the meantime, the French have two forums with doctor sections and have published guides on prescribing, started trials and got the government to licence baclofen.

Go to the new forum and start kicking some serious arse.
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Baclofen years later

Great post Otter. Just damn, do you have to tell the truth in such a direct way?

So Otter, you have so accurately described the dilemma, now, in your opinion, is there a solution to helping bring the factual news to the forefront ?

Comment

Baclofen years later

Otter-

I am only now getting over my paranoid delusion about you and Lo0p being secret trolls. It's actually kind of disappointing me that you weren't the demons I thought you were.

Comment

Baclofen years later

Huh? A new site!? Where?
        :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
        :what?:
        sigpic
        Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
        A Forum
        Trolls need not apply

Comment

Baclofen years later

Is that the baclofen4alcoholism site? That site turned me off when I was searching for baclofen stuff. Seemed too driven by dollars.
          When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

Baclofen years later

JDizzle;1531616 wrote: Is that the baclofen4alcoholism site? That site turned me off when I was searching for baclofen stuff. Seemed too driven by dollars.
            No, it's us old timers doing it. We just got fed up with constantly having to search through threads for information, deal with nay sayers and be made to feel like we were a minor part of an L Glutamine forum.

Baclofen4Alcoholism is Phil Thomas' site which is a commercial, counselling venture he set up back in 2010 or so. He has nothing to do with the new site which is purely volunteer, not for profit and informational but devoted to baclofen. The idea is to get it up and running so people can get the information and help they need without the hassles which we went through.
            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Baclofen years later

Lo0p;1531611 wrote: Huh? A new site!? Where?
              I'm not telling you, it's a secret.
              BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

Baclofen years later

Otter;1531691 wrote: Baclofen4Alcoholism is Phil Thomas' site which is a commercial, counselling venture he set up back in 2010 or so.
                I already began to ask myself why I haven't been on that site, although I seem to have parked it in my "favorites", but when I saw that it is Phil Tomas' site, I had my answer.

But regarding the new site, if I can be of any assistance, let me know.
                Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Baclofen years later

As of yesterday we have 140 registered members, with absolutely no effort at promotion. The ratio of people who are just watching and reading to active posters is high, maybe 7-9:1. This matches what I've observed before and will, in my own words, call the "statistical norm". We celebrated our 2 month birthday yesterday as well.

As Otter said, no it's us doing it. The people I see everyone around here calling "the pioneers". Those of us who jumped off a cliff back in '09 with Ameisen's book in one hand and pills from whatever foreign country we could get them from the other. With no one that came before us, no guides who knew the path and nobody's hand to hold but each other's, we all found a ripcord and parachuted safely into the miracle of a chance at a new life.

From then on we have made it our mission to "pay it forward". Now, years later, we realized that we are and have been spinning our wheels and are in need of a new vehicle to take this miraculous discovery of Dr. Ameisen's to the next level and beyond.

There is no money involved save the outlay. No one needs to concern themselves with that.

We have some very ambitious plans that aren't written in public and some real connections and possible resources that may help us to accomplish them. I suppose a mission statement is in order.

I'd draft one but for the purposes of this message I can summarize it in a phrase or two:

"Revolution, nothing less." - NE

If we haven't yet reached critical mass that hour will be upon us soon. You can ride the wave, help to create it or look the other way.

So help us if you feel the call. Because when a tsunami is coming, no one looks the other way. The time is coming when we will force those who dare call themselves professionals to seek higher ground.

It will take time. As many of you know I have devoted my life to this singular goal. The link is in my signature below. Trolls need not apply.
                  sigpic

A Forum
                  Trolls need not apply

Comment

Baclofen years later

I don't know man. Seems like everything is a repeat of what happened here. There probably aren't a lot of irritating threads there because.... Well there are only 140 members... Probably 99% picked from a site that has helped u for years. I wonder what the end goal is. Why pick people off this site to do ur own. What code do u have in place to stop "nay sayers"? Who decides what threads should be deleted? If someone says something u don't agree with, u delete it? That's not a very honest message. Seems like all of that crap was short lived and we are back to good posts with hundreds of thousands of users (that's a guess). Just in my point of view, jacking users from a site that gave u a place to grow, save ur own life, and help countless others, seems like a shady thing to do... Kinda trolling for users for ur own personal ends. If this was my forum, I would ban u all from it simply because I would also ban people posting about making 4000 a month working from home.

So, I'm sure I just lost 100% of my friends on here. Just my opinion and I wish I could keep it to myself sometimes, but that's just not me.
                    When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

Baclofen years later

I'm at my dad's birthday party and don't even have access to my computer. I'll come back and do a point by point tomorrow if necessary. But damn JD, you are talking about a group of people who have collectively spent tens of thousands of hours for years giving of themselves for no other reason than to help other people. People who consider this place sacred. And accusing them of some kind of theft...?

Go check it out man.

I'll have to read what you wrote again tomorrow. I'm supposed to be spending these hours with my family.
                      sigpic

A Forum
                      Trolls need not apply

Comment

Baclofen years later

Please do a point by point later. I'm quick to admit when I'm wrong. Maybe I'm not understanding. I wasn't like calling it theft.... Like the only difference is taking the same thing here to do it on ur own. Everyone on that site posts here anyways.

Comment

Baclofen years later

Honestly the main red flag for me is I have seen this so many times in AA. A group of people will not care for a few trees in the forest and decide it would be better if they split. All it ever accomplished was creating smaller groups. All I've ever seen it do is cause resentment.

Comment

Baclofen years later

Now I'm understanding a little more. Are you a sports fan (tongue in cheek)?

The goal is collaboration, expansion and taking things to the next level--the antithesis of competition.

I for one, will be around here forever.

As far as moderation goes, my chief personal complaint about this place is that too many things disappear. There are stories we can tell you that have graced these pages over the years that are so amazing you'd find them hard to believe. Where are they now?

*Poof* gone forever.

Party's over but now I'm watching Rango with my niece and nephews. It's about a bad ass lizard. I still haven't read your post again and will do so tomorrow. I'll have access to a computer by tomorrow night and can do some cutting and pasting.

But my gut tells me that, yes you must be misunderstanding our motivation. Albeit this is solely based on the fact that when I read what you wrote my reaction was that of utter confusion to the point that I actually did back out and make sure I was reading the right thread.
                            sigpic

A Forum
                            Trolls need not apply

Comment

Baclofen years later

Great post Otter. Thanks.

I'm still on the way but... i knew from the beginning that it could (would) be something like that.

The addiction goes away, the causes they are still there waiting to be resolved.

The "renewed person" that come out after baclo its probably (?surely?) little bit stronger, with clearest mind and other positive things, but anyway we cannot erase all this years, all this relations, thought, and anything was going in our life.

It takes time, but my process of "renewing" all, or maybe only what is needed to be renewed
                              it already started. In some moment it's hard to see that this one that you was considering to be one of your best friend, suddenly you see too much limits, you see that is on the way of alcholism, talking about bullshit all the time... i think that many people knows what i mean...

I simply don't regret this friendship, but i'm not planning to "cultivated" anymore.
                              I'm more interested, really interested in a lot of new / old things, and want friends with whom i can talk about this and that, not anymore friends to spend the night out...

The friend its, obviously, just an example, but i'm really full of many others...
                              Will continue to post and try to read all your history.
                              Thanks again!

PS: about forum and informations im an active user on French forum, and already made some mini website that explains how baclo work, with medical links etc... kind of this "cosolidated information thread" but in a clearly way... i will post the link really soon.
                              Baclofen started: January 2013
                              Switch (sort of): April 2013 / ~165mg
                              November 2014: stable at 45mg: 10AM-15mg, 1PM-15mg, 5PM-15mg
                              -> Here my progress thread on MWO <-

Comment

Working...
                              X