Binge Drank First 3 weeks of Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too drank during my first trimester on all pregnancies ,4 in total and all the kids are perfect ,well developed kids that do very well indeed in school and socially so do not worry ,everything will be fine. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Comment

So many mommies have their little high-balls before they know they're up the spout----and end up with perfect babies! Nature has a backup system for the tipplers among us, so don't you fret. Your lil' egg is gonna hatch out just fine! Keep us posted!
      Jane Jane

Comment

Update/Doctor's Visit 11/2

Hello Everyone,
        Good news and other news.
        The Good news is...I had another ultrasound to see if the baby is still going strong in there and there was a heartbeat and a real baby in there! Heartbeat is good, measurements are good. Doctor was pleased.
        HOWEVER...As I suspected, I was one week further along then the original doctor appointment showed which means I now binge drank the first FOUR weeks post conception, not three. :upset:
        I tried to tell my doctor the extent of the drinking and I think he got most of it (my husband was there and tried to downplay it as he thought I was implying to the Dr. that I drank the moment I got up until bed which thankfully is not true), and reassured me that the baby was only 3 mm in size when we first saw it in the womb 2 weeks ago so it was awfully small with very little neurological development at that point. Also, he said the placenta is not fully functional yet? I missed that part. Perhaps one of you can tell me when the placenta takes over 100%.
        He went on to tell me that fetal alcohol syndrome is usually found with those who drink heavily the entire pregnancy. He went on to tell me that when he was a resident in training, he saw several cases of people delivering babies in an alcohol haze that did not even know they were pregnant the entire time! Fortunately, this does not apply to me.
        I guess I am feeling better still, but hate that the baby got an extra weeks worth of nightly wine, but I guess I cannot undo that. I have been 100% perfect since then. No wine, no sushi, no caffeine, etc. I do miss my sushi! :H I just hate that I surfed the net so much on sites like the National Organization of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and the March of Dimes. They have made me feel so paranoid with the 3rd week post conception stuff and now that I did the 3rd and 4th week, I am a little worked up again, but I am trying to let it go.
        Thank you for reading my long winded posts and offering so much support. I will definitely be hanging out from time to time during my pregnancy and afterward. :thanks:

Comment

Girly girl!! Calm down!!

I am always appalled at the scare tactics people use to further an agenda. The vast majority of women who drink during pregnancy end up with perfectly fine babies. (I'm watching a re-run of a Law and Order
          which made me think of you and check in!). I know what it's like to worry; I got just TRASHED 2x when I was pregnant, I now have a perfectly healthy 5 year old boy. (And BTW - conception was a drunken night and from then until I found out I was pregnant I drank freely.). My advice would be to STOP reading those web sites, there's an underlying agenda and they cherry-pick studies to support their position (that's even accepting that the stuBedies that are used are valid - many of them have methodological problems).

Your doc says everything is fine! You're not drinking now. STOP WORRYING NOW and try to enjoy being pregnant (I didn't I was completely sick for 5 months then got sciatica - oh what a joyful time:H ).

Be happy! Soon you'll have a wonderful little person to love! And then they get to talkin' . . . . . . :wahh:

Comment

stuBedies

Uh, WTH?? studies

Comment

Hi Sheshe!
              Thank you for your reply. I do want to enjoy this pregnancy. I'm 95% there! Mostly because of this Web site and all of the replies from you and others! :l I think in a few more days, I'll be 100%. The further along I get the better I feel. Time does work wonders.
              I'm headed to Dubai for a week so I'll be off this site for a while. I'm so used to partying on vacation and having lots of wine on the airplane. This will be an interesting change of pace for me. I pick an International flight to go without. Brilliant! :H
              As for the Web sites...You are absolutely right! My husband said exactly the same thing. If you think about it, there is no real way to study drinking and pregnancy because no one would ever volunteer for such a study. It would be unethical and awful for a pregnant person to consume tons of alcohol to see the effects in a clinical study. Yippee! I think I just made myself feel better! 97% there now!
              Thank you again for thinking of me and replying to my post.

Comment

I looked at a number of FAS sites too. I wanted to know how much the mothers of those children drank but they don't seem to tell you. On one site nearly all the children with FAS were adopted so I guess the alcohol was in very large quantities and there were other factors in play too. One mother who still had her child had been drinking a bottle of whiskey a day throughout her pregnancy! That is a lot.
                You are doing really well now, I hope you have a good trip, keep us updated.
                Suz
                Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Any thoughts?

I'm glad I found this Forum because I am concerned from looking at other sites that if I am pregnant (& I think I am) I may have harmed my unborn child, though only during the first week.

I tend to be a binge drinker and on the first week both before during and after possible conception I had been on a particularly heavy bender (not proud of it). I didn't have anything after that when my mind cleared and I realized that I could be pregnant.

When I say heavy I estimate that I had an average of 8 beers per day (too much time on my hands and friends from out of town). In addition I take Prozac and Adderall, which is amphetamines, plus OTC NSAIDS and sinus meds as needed. So I am pretty concerned. I haven't been drinking and won't until I know for sure, and am stopping Adderall, but I can't stop Prozac cold, though am tapering off and will be done soon.

I am trying not to worry because I don't know for sure - am going to test in the morning and follow up with a second test, but I have been pregnant before and felt the same way that I do now.

Thanks for listening.

Comment

Hi Diem
                    Just wanted to reassure you that I did drink during all 3 of my pregnancies although not every day as I tried desperately to stop, but occassional binging. Not proud of it , did my best and very thankful that I have 3 healthy children. I was also on medication. Prosac with my first- was told to continue on this and he went through mild withdrawal (horrible) so on my next 2 I changed to a more well known anti- d and reduced the dose to minimal and they both were fine after the birth with no withdrawals.
                    Take care and hope its the news you want!
                    Eviex
                    Jesus said"Come unto me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
                    Take My yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls.
                    For my yolk is easy and My burden is light
                    "

Comment

Seems like you preggers have the right idea to quit immediately. I'm sure too you and your bun are OK. FAS happens more in women who drink ALL the time. Daughter's a midwife, and stories of chronic, full-time abusers are horrible. But she just adopted a 3-y-o they've had since 10mos. Mom was full-time crack addict/alchoholic, and left him horrible situation his first 10 mos., but we're lucky as hell to have a beautiful, brilliant little boy. God looks after fools and little children, at least in our case.
                      sigpic
                      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hi Sweetie ... The main thing now is just don't drink from here out! Baby will have a great life with a mommy who cares enough to do want you need to do. Congratulations to you!!!

Amazing how we can go AF during our pregnancy. -- I didn't drink from the time I found out I was pregnant with either baby -- and it was easy -- but boy after those babies - away I went!! This is a great opportunity to live without Al and feel really healthy. Who knows ... you just may decide to stay off it when the baby is born!!

Again - congrats!
                        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

HI Diem,
                          I first found MWO right before I learned I was pregnant. Of course I was worried. I found out when I was 8 weeks. I stopped drinking at that point -- the funny thing was, I had been getting over a cold, and wasn't really interested in drinking anyway, which is what tipped me off to "maybe I'm pregnant?" I found that I really didn't want to drink--the feeling of being buzzed and being pregnant just didn't go well together. I also believe your body tells you what it needs -- and doesn't need. I did drink a little bit from time to time during my pregnancy -- a beer or a glass of wine here or there, but really nothing major. Anyway, my son just turned 2 on Sunday and he is healthy, happy and smart.

Let us know how you re doing. There are many moms on this site who have much to share.

Comment

Feeling bad,
                            Just saw this post.......I too was completely smashed the day before I found out I was preggers and have a healthy and happy 8 year old.........

You will be fine......and the 9 months will be a good liver cleansing period for you too.......congrats!

Keep smiling,
                            Uni
                            Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                            :h

Comment

dear feeling bad,
                              i was drunk when i peed on my first response stick. POSITIVE! went to the doctor to find out i was 3 weeks preggers. i did not drink from there on in until after my first trimester was up, but then i had about 3 glasses of wine per night during trimester 2 and 3 until i delivered. my son is now almost 4 years old and he is absolutely perfect. the only time he has been to the doctor is for his wellness visits and one time for a head wound. he is gifted at music and has reached every milestone either on on schedule or ahead of time. he is well behaved, well loved, and well adjusted. i don't reccommend drinking and maternity, but it is my story for what it is worth so i hope it helps you. yes, it is best not to drink at all during pregnancy, but the research on fas is inconclusive and hysterical in my opinion, and the women who bear children with the syndrome are usually at risk for a lot of factors and drink heavily all day and use drugs/smoke/poor diet/etc etc. i wouldn't worry.

Comment

Relieved and thankful

:thanks:
                                I wanted to thank everyone for their posts concerning this topic. As a struggling alcoholic and in the final weeks of my first pregnancy, I too have ventured onto the FAS sites and other literature out there on the internet, which after reading sent me into a frenzy of worries. I felt that whereever I posted for support or questions, I was attacked for even thinking of having a drop of alcohol while pregnant. While I haven't drank every day of my pregnancy, I have had 11 days of binge drinking (6+ beers and sometimes hard liquor) which I know is stupid and selfish, but I am working on it. It is relieving to hear some of you share your stories of struggling with sobriety during your pregnancies, and to hear your children turned out ok. Not that this makes me feel like its ok to go out and get blitzed now! I feel every day that passes that I don't drink is a blessing, and it made me feel better to focus on the days I DIDN'T drink than those that I did. But thank you again for sharing your honest opinions, and not attacking those of us who havent always been so strong. This is my first time visiting this site, and I have yet to check out other topics, but I think I will be frequenting around here often!!

Sorry that was long

Comment

Working...
                                X