Binge Drank First 3 weeks of Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in the same exact position as Feeling Bad, almost three years later. I drank about as much as she did during my 4th week pregnant (2 weeks from conception), 1.5 bottles of Chardonnay a day. I did this because after wanting to get pregnant for three years and finally getting pregnant, my doctor told me that I was going to miscarry (long story for another time). I just lost it. I fell apart and had a 5 day drinking binge during which I drank 6 bottles of wine. I pulled myself together on Sunday, went for a 5 mile walk, and the next day we went to confirm with the doctor before going forward with a medically induced miscarriage. Well on the ultrasound I saw a gestational and yolk sac as well as a possible heartbeat. I was thrilled and horrified at the same time. This little baby that I have wanted for so long may be damaged in the brain or facial features thanks to my self-pity binge.
    If anyone knows the outcome of Feeling Bad's pregnancy (I did email her via this site, no response) or any other words of comfort, I would most appreciate it as I'm terrified and heartbroken. Thank you.

Comment

hopefulwoman,
      I think a lot of us have been in the position where we drank to much before we realized we were pregnant. I know I did and I worried myself absolutely sick about it for the rest of the time I was pregnant. My baby was born on time. She was beautiful and has gone on to become the most amazing daughter. She is now 25. Be sure to stop drinking now and do all the things you are supposed to, e.g. vitamins, etc. and I am sure things will turn out fine. But put the cork in the bottle now!

Comment

Also, why don't you post a new thread so more people will see it and give comfort and advice. Go to the Need Help section and on the left side you will see a New Thread button. Click and start! AND
        congratulations on being pregnant. A real life changer!!

Comment

I too drank before I knew I was pregnant, heavily!! I even drank during the last three months socially - ie: for me absolutely nothing, just wine with a meal.....other people were of course horrified. My son is 14, and his brother turned 13 a few days ago.....they are healthy nearly 6ft boys, do well at school, and don't seem to have any after effects. Please don't beat yourself up, it is a wasted emotion - try to focus the same intensity (as your self loathing) on doing all the good healthy things in the future instead.
          Congratulations on your pregnancy - your baby will need a Mum who can love herself as well. We all make mistakes, forgive yourself and move forward...

Comment

Hey, Feeling Bad! Can you tell me how it has turned out for you? I did the same thing. My period was late and I took a pregnancy test and it was negative, so I just kept partying. I know I have a problem. but it's been another week and still no period. I am going to take another test on Monday, and definitely going to abstain this weekend...but, just wondering if your baby turned out OK. You can e-mail me!!

Comment

Many women drink before they know they're pregnant. It's what you do later that matters.
              As I said before, one of our boys was born to woman high on drugs. Below is the picture of the 2 of them. They are perfect.
              But the risks are real. Indulging in ANY substance that alters our body, such as AL or drugs, can and often does cause problems. Years ago, I met a woman bringing her disabled child to school. The mother was addicted to running and exercise. SERIOUS exercise, running miles each day, in any weather, all the way through her pregnancy. Being fit is wonderful for a pregnancy, but this was another example of addiction.
              One thing to consider: if you're going to be a mother, and you're concerned about being able to stop your risky behavior during pregnancy, what will you do with a child to take care of? If this is an issue, now is the time to address it. Our Ry suffered horribly his first months of life, and still has a few small issues. It breaks my heart how accepting he is, at 5 now, about his bedwetting, fears. His mother never had custody of him; she delegated several equally uncaring people to take care of him before he was taken into state care, and immediately found my daughter and SIL. Most stories don't end that way. People are in denial about their problems, and hang on to a child until the problem is much more severe.
              Ry's parents (who had already lost 4 other children to the system) were a different kind of addicts. But the health and welfare of the child is the same. I don't want to sound harsh. I know you're worried. But 9 months is a small portion of what it takes to bring up a happy, healthy, child. So, once you find out you're pregnant, DON'T drink anymore. And if that is too hard, get help now. I knew a young girl with FAS, and her life was so hard. Everything that goes into your body, goes into your baby, and is profoundly more intense, at every stage of pregnancy. Just because someone else did it and it worked out does not mean you will be that blessed. As I've learned, and most people don't know, for the first hours of a baby's life, they are considered 'critical', as far as their condition. If you've made the decision to bring a life into the world, you must begin to be unselfish in your actions. This is NOT a judgement; I don't do that. Of all people, I certainly understand the addiction. It's about more than you and your wants now. So, how can we help you get through this, and get well yourself to be a great mom?
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

No worries....I think the worrying should be if you drank continually throughout the pregnancy....my daughter was conceived on a huge wine drunk....she's a very healthy, beautiful, intellegent 10yr old girl.

Congratulations!!!
                AF July 6 2014

Comment

Yrs ago, I found out I was pregnant one day and miscarried the next. The doc told me to wait 3 months before trying again. Anyway, I got pregnant immediately again and didn't have a period between the miscarriage and learning of the pregnancy. Thinking I was safe, I did a lot more than chardonnay! That was 16 yrs ago, and I have a very healthy, wonderful (if hormonal) teenage girl. You will be fine but be honest with the doc.

Comment

Same situation

I know no one has posted here in years, but I am totally freakin out because the same thing is happening to me. I just found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant and have been drinking 2-5 drinks a day. I am so worried that something will be wrong with my baby, and the internet just scares the crap out of you. I wasn't trying to have another baby. I have an 18 and 21 year old sons. The good thing is that I now completely quit drinking which i was starting to wonder how I was ever going to do that? Everything just seems crazy right now. I loved my life the way it was, but now looking back I am glad I'm not the drunk anymore. I am just so confused. I think everything happens for a reason and maybe this is the new chapter in my life that will change it for the better? I am just trippin on being a mommy with a baby all over again at 37.

Ps+ Feeling Bad since it has been awhile since you have posted, did your baby come out fine?

Comment

I am not condoning drinking whilst pregnant and as soon as I knew I quit but I had been drinking around half a bottle of wine a night before I found out and my son is completely fine, ( I was 39 when I got pg and have a dd who is now 18) I also know of someone who drank a few glasses a night through the whole of her pregnancies and her children are also ok so please don't worry too much I think in the first few weeks it is less detrimental to the baby
                      Taking it ODAT

Comment

I am from a generation where we simply did not really know how much damage alcohol can do to a baby. On the other hand I also had abundant and nutritious food and my children grew up bright and healthy. One is now an actuary and the others studying towards her CA. And that in spite of a mommy drinking sometimes more then just a few glasses during the pregnancies. I hope you feel a bit better now, and at least you know to stop drinking right away.
                        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

freaked out;1250293 wrote: I know no one has posted here in years, but I am totally freakin out because the same thing is happening to me. I just found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant and have been drinking 2-5 drinks a day. I am so worried that something will be wrong with my baby, and the internet just scares the crap out of you. I wasn't trying to have another baby. I have an 18 and 21 year old sons. The good thing is that I now completely quit drinking which i was starting to wonder how I was ever going to do that? Everything just seems crazy right now. I loved my life the way it was, but now looking back I am glad I'm not the drunk anymore. I am just so confused. I think everything happens for a reason and maybe this is the new chapter in my life that will change it for the better? I am just trippin on being a mommy with a baby all over again at 37.

Ps+ Feeling Bad since it has been awhile since you have posted, did your baby come out fine?

I joined MWO today after reading many of the blogs that have come up from internet searches about drinking in early pregnancy. I found out I was pregnant on 5/4/12- and estimated that I was about 4 weeks (I'm having an aging U/S done tomorrow to confirm). Prior to my positive test, I had been drinking 1-3 glasses of wine most nights and taking zoloft (50mg) and xanax (.5mg). I haven't drank anything since after the test but I have continued with the meds- the xanax only because of anxiety due to the thought that I've hurt the baby already with the drinking. I'm a mess- I've been searching the internet on FAS and I'm terrified that I've already caused so much damage. If anyone can please share a similar experience, please do so. I'm driving my husband crazy with this and I'm considering an abortion as I don't think I could live with myself if I did in fact cause any damage. Any advice or positive stories would be much appreciated.

Comment

Katie I am sorry that you're so stressed about this. I have not been through this but from what I've read, FAS happens with mothers who drink through the whole pregnancy. And they don't drink 1-3 drinks a night either. This is from an article about FAS when asked the question how much alcohol is safe during pregnancy:

Two approaches can be taken to this important question. One is the rigorously scientific approach. It does not go beyond the facts: that most children diagnosed with frank FAS have had overtly alcoholic mothers (who drank at least eight to 10 drinks a day); that children born to women who had four to six drinks a day have had subtle signs of FAS/FAE; that at two drinks a day, the only indisputable effect noted has been subtly lower birth weight; and that below two drinks a day there is no concrete evidence for an effect on the fetus. Thus, from a strictly scientific viewpoint, one cannot say that one drink a day during pregnancy is dangerous to the baby.
                            The second approach they say is the better-safe-than-sorry-approach which means to drink no alcohol. But FAS isn't about how much alcohol you drank before finding out you were pregnant. It's how much you drank through your entire pregnancy. You will be fine. Try to stay calm and talk to your doctor about this.

Comment

U should be fine, not like u were binging..worrying its worse than the few drinks..just relax.

Comment

Relax ... no stress my dear. Just consume healthy stuff from now on. Remember before FAS was discovered how much female drinkers drank. FAS is not common, and requires intensive drinking.
                                Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X