I'm desperate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm desperate!

Hi Virgil. Just wanted to add my support. I find it so humbling when people reach out for help and so inspiring when so much help is given. Keep trying and stay strong. Hope if all works out for you.
    Hippy Chick.
    I finally got it!
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

I'm desperate!

Hippy Chick;811431 wrote: Hi Virgil. Just wanted to add my support. I find it so humbling when people reach out for help and so inspiring when so much help is given. Keep trying and stay strong. Hope if all works out for you.
      Hippy Chick.
      Hi Hippy Chick,

Thanks for your support!

This thread is the first time I've made a personal plea for help on a forum. But, I have been at rock-bottom of recent and it seemed like the most natural thing to do. My life is always tough and has been for more years than I care to remember. Just over three years ago, I resorted to self-harm but I have managed to steer clear of that since that time.

The trouble is that psychotherapy is such a painfully s-l-o-w process and there are times when I feel that I need emergency treatment. Not sure what form that would take. I am taking baclofen and my current dosage is 140mg per day. Based on my weight, I reckon I'm at least two months from hitting the 'switch'. And that assumes that I'll get there.

Once again, a heartfelt 'thank-you'.

V.
      "Love's the only engine of survival"

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

How are things V?
        I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

I'm desperate!

Hi Virgil
          A big hug from me via TSM board! I remember you well.

Sounds like you have anxiety issues (who doesn't??) and that baclofen could really help, once you get to the switch point. I haven't taken bac yet, have just been a lurker on the boards here. Still waiting for my miracle and hoping bac is it.

I wish you peace and success.

Comment

I'm desperate!

eight days a week;812243 wrote: How are things V?
            Hello 8,

In a nutshell - very difficult indeed.

However, I have received a much-needed injection of hope from my therapist who has started me out on a new approach aimed at addressing my seriously out-of-control anxiety disorders. Please forgive me for not divulging the details at this stage. If it works, I'll be shouting from the roof-tops. Right now, I am optimistic. Let's hope it stays that way!

Anyway, :thanks: for asking your question. I am deeply grateful.

Your friend.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

hoping4better;812332 wrote: Hi Virgil
              A big hug from me via TSM board! I remember you well.

Sounds like you have anxiety issues (who doesn't??) and that baclofen could really help, once you get to the switch point. I haven't taken bac yet, have just been a lurker on the boards here. Still waiting for my miracle and hoping bac is it.

I wish you peace and success.
              Hello h4b,

How lovely to hear from you - thanks!

Yes, I have anxiety disorders that have plagued me for my entire adult life. But, I haven't completely lost hope - although when I started this thread, I had. I would like to think that baclofen may help. Only time will tell. Based on my weight, I am some way from hitting the 'switch'.

If you're considering baclofen, does that mean you have abandoned TSM? As you will probably remember, I had the dubious honour of being the first to declare that TSM did not work for me.

If you're considering baclofen, you've come to the right place.

Best wishes to you!

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Virgil;812442 wrote: Hello 8,

In a nutshell - very difficult indeed.

However, I have received a much-needed injection of hope from my therapist who has started me out on a new approach aimed at addressing my seriously out-of-control anxiety disorders. Please forgive me for not divulging the details at this stage. If it works, I'll be shouting from the roof-tops. Right now, I am optimistic. Let's hope it stays that way!

Anyway, :thanks: for asking your question. I am deeply grateful.

Your friend.

V.
                No problem V, I completely understand and know that you'll be telling the world about it if it helps - and we all hope so much that it does

I'm sorry though to hear that things are still so very difficult. I wish I could offer more advice...does anyone else have any?

Wishing you the best, as always

eight
                I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

I'm desperate!

How are things today V?

I'm worried that you haven't posted...

Comment

I'm desperate!

eight days a week;813360 wrote: How are things today V?

I'm worried that you haven't posted...
                    Hello 8,

Thanks for asking.

Things continue to be very
                    difficult. My anxiety at times is through the roof and the resultant depression is overwhelming. I have been in a bad way and that's why it has taken me this long to post again on MWO.

I continue to fear that baclofen is making my anxiety worse. Elsewhere on MWO, I have quoted a paper by Dr Ameisen in which he cites evidence showing that baclofen can indeed have this effect. So, as an experiment, I have started to reduce my dose. I was up to 140mg per day and have already reduced it to 110mg per day. I'd like to get down to 80mg per day to see if it makes a difference. I started on baclofen at the beginning of December last year and, since then, my anxiety has steadily increased. Initially, I thought it may have been caused by other factors but now I'm not sure.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Virgil,

Try taking L-Theanine 3 times a day ? 200mg. I think it can help your anxiety - and its natural.
                      since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                      since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                      reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                      since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                      since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                      http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

I'm desperate!

craving;815993 wrote: Virgil,

Try taking L-Theanine 3 times a day ? 200mg. I think it can help your anxiety - and its natural.
                        craving,

Thank you for the feedback.

I used to take L-Theanine prior to December last year (i.e. before starting baclofen). I seem to remember that I was taking 200mg per day. I took it for several weeks but it had no effect on my anxiety disorders.

Perhaps, I should also add that my GP has just prescribed Citalopram, which I have now started taking. Ideally, I would have preferred to reduce my baclofen dosage for a few weeks longer before starting on the Citalopram but I truly am desperate
                        to alleviate the day-to-day suffering, which I am currently experiencing. Having said that, Citalopram does take at least four weeks to 'kick in' so it will be interesting to see if my baclofen dosage reduction has any effect on my anxiety in the meantime.

Thanks again.

V. :upset:

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Virgil;816007 wrote: craving,

Thank you for the feedback.

I used to take L-Theanine prior to December last year (i.e. before starting baclofen). I seem to remember that I was taking 200mg per day. I took it for several weeks but it had no effect on my anxiety disorders.

Perhaps, I should also add that my GP has just prescribed Citalopram, which I have now started taking. Ideally, I would have preferred to reduce my baclofen dosage for a few weeks longer before starting on the Citalopram but I truly am desperate
                          to alleviate the day-to-day suffering, which I am currently experiencing. Having said that, Citalopram does take at least four weeks to 'kick in' so it will be interesting to see if my baclofen dosage reduction has any effect on my anxiety in the meantime.

Thanks again.

V. :upset:
                          I can relate to what you are saying. I had a panic/anxiety problem a couple of weeks back. Hell it was so scary. For me upping Bupropion back to its normal dose helped. Funny thing is that Bupropion by itself can cause panic - but for me it was the withdrawal!!

Wikipedia says that Citalopram takes 2-4 weeks to kick in - so most likely already in 2 weeks you feel partly better, and in 4 weeks have the maximum effect.

Baclofen change in dose can cause anxiety. On increase my anxiety is like blown away - but on reducing I think my anxiety increases.
                          since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                          since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                          reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                          since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                          since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                          http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

I'm desperate!

Hi Virgil:

May I suggest you read "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life," by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.? Fascinating look at the insides of the brains of people exhibiting a variety of "psychiatric" conditions. His premise is that it is all organic dysfunction in the brain. He makes suggestions for both pharmacological and behavioral help. It's really quite an amazing and, in my opinion, dead-right-on look at why we do what we do especially when we don't want to do it.

All the best . . .
                            "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

I'm desperate!

RedThread12;816142 wrote: Hi Virgil:

May I suggest you read "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life," by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.? Fascinating look at the insides of the brains of people exhibiting a variety of "psychiatric" conditions. His premise is that it is all organic dysfunction in the brain. He makes suggestions for both pharmacological and behavioral help. It's really quite an amazing and, in my opinion, dead-right-on look at why we do what we do especially when we don't want to do it.

All the best . . .
                              RT12,

You may certainly suggest that I read the book you mention. It sounds good. I'm not sure about the idea that "it is all organic dysfunction in the brain". In my case, I was born into a dysfunctional family. I experienced abandonment and emotional deprivation. From my point-of-view, that's the root cause of my problems. I see the organic dysfunction in the brain as an effect of my childhood trauma. But, I'm open to persuasion otherwise. I need to be. Just recently, I've been feeling a hopeless case. Nothing seems to be working for me.

I'll stop there.

V.

Leonard Cohen

Comment

I'm desperate!

Hi V,

Thanks a lot for keeping us all updated, but so sorry to hear things are still very rough for you...

It's great that you're keeping an open mind and are prepared to look at different approaches, as always. I'm sure a lot of us could learn from your own opinions of and experiences with different things you try (as I certainly have in the past).

No need to stop! This is your thread my friend, and if there's anything you feel like sharing or need to get off your chest it might only help I think.

All the best, do so hope things ease soon (and sure they will)

eight

Comment

Working...
                                X