Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these ealy symptoms of liver disease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drink heavily the last two years, I admit it. I'm 20 years old, 184.9lbs, 5 ft 6.

I started drinking from 16 and I was always drinking to get drunk, but ONLY once a month or less, in the beginning.

Last year's fall, however, I started drinking about 1,5 liters of wine every Friday and Saturday. Then, last easter, I started drinking everyday about a bottle of whiskey or more for about six months, not exercising and not eating almost anything. Last July I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease and the doctor told me to stop drinking for ten days to see if it was caused from alcohol and that I may develop cirrhosis in two years if I continue like that. However, I did continue this lifestyle until Semptember, when I stopped drinking for twelve days and then had a blood test. The blood tests showed these:

Everything normal except of the average of blood cells which was 32.5 while the normal was from 27 to 32pg, my APTT was 41,1 while the normal was from 26 to 38 seconds. Everything else was completely normal, so, this winter I started drinking very heavily again. Started from one to two times a week and then made it daily about two bottles of whiskey. The last three months however, I completely stopped drinking at daytime and I am currently only drinking one or two bottles of pink wine every night. Only a few times I take a "night off" and have started to exercise again the last two days.

My symptoms are these: Racing heart while starting drinking that justs goes away when I get drunk. I don't have angina, dizziness, lightheadedness and things like that, neither does my heart pound abnormally when I exercise for too long. What worries me the most is that I cough too much every morning (only until I smoke the first cigarette) and have mouth and nose mucus. I also cough several times each day but it's not acute like it is in the morning and it never happens while I'm exercising. My other symptoms is itching on my left upper abdomen and severe upper right and left back pain when I wake up (only while I'm laying down).

Are these early symptoms of liver disease?

Normann;1497774 wrote: I drink heavily the last two years, I admit it. I'm 20 years old, 184.9lbs, 5 ft 6.

I started drinking from 16 and I was always drinking to get drunk, but ONLY once a month or less, in the beginning.

Last year's fall, however, I started drinking about 1,5 liters of wine every Friday and Saturday. Then, last easter, I started drinking everyday about a bottle of whiskey or more for about six months, not exercising and not eating almost anything. Last July I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease and the doctor told me to stop drinking for ten days to see if it was caused from alcohol and that I may develop cirrhosis in two years if I continue like that. However, I did continue this lifestyle until Semptember, when I stopped drinking for twelve days and then had a blood test. The blood tests showed these:

Everything normal except of the average of blood cells which was 32.5 while the normal was from 27 to 32pg, my APTT was 41,1 while the normal was from 26 to 38 seconds. Everything else was completely normal, so, this winter I started drinking very heavily again. Started from one to two times a week and then made it daily about two bottles of whiskey. The last three months however, I completely stopped drinking at daytime and I am currently only drinking one or two bottles of pink wine every night. Only a few times I take a "night off" and have started to exercise again the last two days.

My symptoms are these: Racing heart while starting drinking that justs goes away when I get drunk. I don't have angina, dizziness, lightheadedness and things like that, neither does my heart pound abnormally when I exercise for too long. What worries me the most is that I cough too much every morning (only until I smoke the first cigarette) and have mouth and nose mucus. I also cough several times each day but it's not acute like it is in the morning and it never happens while I'm exercising. My other symptoms is itching on my left upper abdomen and severe upper right and left back pain when I wake up (only while I'm laying down).

Are these early symptoms of liver disease?
    You need to seek proper medical advice however if you are a smoker it sounds as if that could be causing the coughing. Itching could be a form of withdrawl from alcohol, or generally being unhealthy - if you aren't eating properly, smoking and drinking I'd say it's your overall lifestyle.

The racing heart I'd say is normal excitement of an alcoholic having his first drink of the day. I know I used to get excited and flush really easy when was drinking problematically.

Liver disease is characterised by pain and yellow colour to skin and eyes, but that's once it's gone a long way. I don't think Liver disease affects the lungs but smoking definitely does! Here's a link to a page about liver disease; Alcoholic liver disease - Symptoms - NHS Choices

You are very young to be diagnosed with fatty liver and any smoking/health issue I would take that as a very good reason to sort your lifestyle out NOW before it's too late.

Do you have a Gamma GT result?I know most about those than the other things you mention normal is something like 30-60, heavy drinkers usually have a result from 100-over 1000 (the higher end being chronic alcoholics), it's a sign of how hard your liver is working and comes back down with abstenance.
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

There is a thing called 'Alcoholic lung' but I don't think it's related to liver disease. I know my lungs felt sort of 'wet' and I would cough when I was really drinking a lot for extended periods. But if you're smoking it's most likely due to that.

What does your doctor have to say about your results?
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

He said the last test results revealed that the fatty liver disease was due to alcohol and the lifestyle I was doing back then, since when I started eating normally and just stopped drinking for twelve days my liver enzymes were fine. Also, I don't have an itchy skin. Only in the left upper part of my abdomen I get a little itchy (not serious - it goes away too when I exercise or take a stroll). The problem is the back pain. What confuses me is that it depends on my position as well. When I wake up I have too much back pain which goes away when I stand up or sit. Is this a symptom of an underlying disease?

About the racing heart, I don't get excited in my first drink. Instead I get worried, because I've read alcohol can cause a heart attack.

Comment

If you are so worried about drinking, then the first thing you should do is commit to 30 days alcohol free. If you can make it through those 30 days, you can decide then what route you should take (moderation (difficult to impossible for most people who have already become alcohol abusers) or total abstinence). You are only 20 years old, and life will only get more difficult and worrisome if not deadly, if you continue on this path.

"I like people too much or not at all."
          Sylvia Plath

Comment

Normann;1497814 wrote: He said the last test results revealed that the fatty liver disease was due to alcohol and the lifestyle I was doing back then, since when I started eating normally and just stopped drinking for twelve days my liver enzymes were fine. Also, I don't have an itchy skin. Only in the left upper part of my abdomen I get a little itchy (not serious - it goes away too when I exercise or take a stroll). The problem is the back pain. What confuses me is that it depends on my position as well. When I wake up I have too much back pain which goes away when I stand up or sit. Is this a symptom of an underlying disease?

About the racing heart, I don't get excited in my first drink. Instead I get worried, because I've read alcohol can cause a heart attack.
            Sorry I didn't read those bits properly. Alcohol causes all sorts of health issues although usually they build up over years and years(usually decade or two). Lower back pain can be kidney problems, or could be the way you lie in bed - alcohol often affects sleep. Stopping for 12 days will bring the enzymes down, but they'll almost definitely head upwards again if you drink a bottle of wine a day.

If you are worried check with a Dr and quit the smoking and drinking.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

My psychiatrist every month checks if my liver is enlarged before he writes any drug prescriptions. I saw him ten days ago and he said my liver is not extended more than it should normally be and he prescribed me valiums, ramerons and ambien. The back pains I have are the last three days and they are not located in the kidneys' locations. They seem to be coming from the bones and they are located right below the left and the right shoulder (the locations where the spleen and the liver start).

Comment

Normann,

You are awfully young, but so is my daughter, who suffers from liver damage, beginning in her mid 20s.

Here is something to consider:

Alcohol-induced liver problems soar among young adults | Society | The Guardian

If there is anyway you can adjust your lifestyle to avoid alcohol and cigarettes, your life will be greatly enhanced and your body will thank you for it.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Normann;1497885 wrote: My psychiatrist every month checks if my liver is enlarged before he writes any drug prescriptions. I saw him ten days ago and he said my liver is not extended more than it should normally be and he prescribed me valiums, ramerons and ambien. The back pains I have are the last three days and they are not located in the kidneys' locations. They seem to be coming from the bones and they are located right below the left and the right shoulder (the locations where the spleen and the liver start).
                  That's a hell of a combination with alcohol.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Ukblonde;1497925 wrote: That's a hell of a combination with alcohol.
                    I never take them with alcohol. Only a small amount of valium (it helps with whatever is going on with the fast heartbeats). I take the other pills only when I haven't drunk anything...

Comment

Well l sure hope you can get a handle on your addictions,cause we only have one go at this life, we all think were indestructible but were not, so good luck on your journey,quitting isn't easy but it gets better and life is worth it, so since your young try really hard to get rid of those demons,all the best to you,LM 28 days sober and l like that LM on this path,a bit hard but LTS doable,LM 48 yrs young so l have a few more years of drinking,but no more now,LM worth it,just like your worth it!!

Comment

Well, actually now that I've started exercising again I feel much better. The itching on my left rib seems to be due to the fact that I was working sitting for a long time. Now that I'm stretching, running and lifting weights again, it has gone away. The back pain seems to be better too. Today was not that bad. And, now that I've finished my training, I had no problem exercising my abs at all. My endurance seems to be improving as well day after day. I really hope in about a month from now I will be able to perform my jumping roundhouse kicks and things like that... Now, about alcohol, I will go to my psychiatrist three days from now and take a bunch of pills to stop drinking for a while again. Do you know any drugs for euphoria and things like that, that would help me stopping drinking? Ramerons, Ambien and Valiums seem to be working only for depression and insomnia.

Comment

Normann;1498229 wrote: Well, actually now that I've started exercising again I feel much better. The itching on my left rib seems to be due to the fact that I was working sitting for a long time. Now that I'm stretching, running and lifting weights again, it has gone away. The back pain seems to be better too. Today was not that bad. And, now that I've finished my training, I had no problem exercising my abs at all. My endurance seems to be improving as well day after day. I really hope in about a month from now I will be able to perform my jumping roundhouse kicks and things like that... Now, about alcohol, I will go to my psychiatrist three days from now and take a bunch of pills to stop drinking for a while again. Do you know any drugs for euphoria and things like that, that would help me stopping drinking? Ramerons, Ambien and Valiums seem to be working only for depression and insomnia.
                          If you look in the meds section you'll see baclofen mentioned for anxiety but it's difficult to get it prescribed at the moment, althought some GPs may prescribe up to 80mgs a day. There are side effects with baclofen which if you are worried about the symptoms you've had already would probably cause you just as much worry.

I'm concerned you think it's always got to be a bunch of pills to sort you out. Sure some meds can be helpful but it's really best to try and quit without if you can. Valium and other benzos are sometimes used for withdrawls but doesn't sound as you you suffer from those and at the end of the day you need to get used to being straight and not always on a constant high.

Some people use Campral and antabuse, both require abstenance and the antabuse needs commitment to take it. Life without booze can be scary but it's acheiveable and there's plenty of help here to do it. I'd recommend you have a look at the newbies nest thread here https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ml#post1498241

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

I actually want to stop drinking because I don't want to start whiskey and things like that again, because wine seems not to get me high anymore. I have produced great tolerence again... And that's the problem, I don't want to start drinking whiskey again because the result will be to drink all day again or having withdrawal symptoms (I had them too many times before). So, instead of that, I prefer a drug that gets you high without getting you sleepy (I have the other pills for sleep).

Are you sure baclofen can get you worried? As I read is good for alcoholics with withdrawal symptoms. One of the withdrawal symptoms is being worried and anxious. So how can a drug that has such side effects be good for alcoholics with withdrawal symptoms?

Comment

I'm on Campral. I'm finding that Campral has it's detractors on this forum, but even in just a short time it has helped me achieve a clarity of mind I haven't had in years. It's not mood altering, it just resets your brain chemistry to that of a non-alcoholic over time. It's only an effective therapy with abstinence, though. The only downside is that it is freaking expensive. But heck, I was probably spending that much on booze anyway.
                              In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Working...
                              X