100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Byrdlady;1453631 wrote: Mario, Lav and Fallen...do you ever worry that you will drink by accident (pick up someone else's drink)? Or that someone will slip you something and you don't realize it's in there? Do you think such an event would derail you? This is my paranoid thinking...it hasn't happened yet and not even close...I may be worrying for nothing (which is usually the case). B
    Byrdie we were having a party at my house sometime this past year and my husband and I were drinking out of identical cups. I had iced tea and he had beer. I picked up his glass, took a big swig, and spit the beer like a fountain about 4 feet across the room into the kitchen sink. No lie! I didn't even have time to think about it. Projectile spit. It tasted revolting. And to think I used to love the taste of it!

Comment

Lavande;1453958 wrote: Byrdie, I don't worry about someone accidently poisoning me - I think they know I would kick their ass :H
      But that didn't stop my husband from offering me a beer last summer when he arrived with a cooler full. My response was 'ARE YOU F___ING KIDDING ME??? I just walked away, shaking my head. Do you know that damn bottle of beer is still sitting in the garage fridge? The bottom line is - some people are just stupid.
      btw - he is deathly allergic to shellfish & I've never offered him a shrimp cocktail :H
      Maybe you should Lav :H:H:H:H

Comment

Byrd Lady;1453631 wrote: Mario, Lav and Fallen...do you ever worry that you will drink by accident (pick up someone else's drink)? Or that someone will slip you something and you don't realize it's in there? Do you think such an event would derail you? This is my paranoid thinking...it hasn't happened yet and not even close...I may be worrying for nothing (which is usually the case). B
        At the start byrd lady I was forever being paranoid that I would do that that is take or be given a alcoholic drink by mistake,But eventually it came as quite natural to be aware of what was near me in a glass or cup and as I mostly ask for herbal tea,s it made it easier.

If for some strange reason someone slipped me one well there be a few hard words spoken plus my body would reject it straight away.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

One day we'll swap stories, Molly. Right now I'm happy there has been no drama for almost 24 hours.

A shrimp cocktail? Hmmmmm.... You're a good woman, Lav.

Thoughts of drinking/smoking have left the building now that I've had time to settle down.
          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Thanks everyone! Projectile spitting! That's the Plan!!!!!

(Family....I'll tell you, they will drive you nuts!) B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good morning everyone! Never in a million years did I think that I would be able to join/post in the 100 Day Club Member thread but I am happy to say that I celebrated my 6 month anniversary on the 18th and am slowly closing in on day 200 AF......YAY YAY YAY! I have to read back over the posts but I ust wanted to say Hi!
              AB Club Member
              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Destiniey;1454275 wrote: Good morning everyone! Never in a million years did I think that I would be able to join/post in the 100 Day Club Member thread but I am happy to say that I celebrated my 6 month anniversary on the 18th and am slowly closing in on day 200 AF......YAY YAY YAY! I have to read back over the posts but I ust wanted to say Hi!
                That is wonderful. Now you have a chance to create the life you want instead of having alcohol rule the world. SOBER SURE FEELS GOOD, doesn't it!
                Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Destiniey;1454275 wrote: Good morning everyone! Never in a million years did I think that I would be able to join/post in the 100 Day Club Member thread but I am happy to say that I celebrated my 6 month anniversary on the 18th and am slowly closing in on day 200 AF......YAY YAY YAY!
                  Congratulations on your 6 months & :welcome:
                  The 6 month mark was a real turning point in my quit. My 3-4 month period was a dark time for me, I knew it was only temporary, but nonetheless, it was something I had to get through.
                  At 6 months, it felt like I emerged from a dark tunnel into the sunlight... it was wonderful!
                  And the best part, it's been getting better & better ever since.

Even though you're feeling good right now, I can promise you that it will get even better!
                  AF 6 years
                  NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

I was wondering what "boundaries" other long termers have set for themselves. (This thought crossed my mind yesterday as I posted about taking juice at communion).

Here are the boundaries that I live by:

~ juice at communion, not wine

~ cooking with alcohol is okay as long as the alcohol will be burned off. I don't seek out recipes that call for alcohol, but I have 2 favorite recipes for cornish hen & marsala chicken that would not be the same without the right flavor of wine. Last year I made a beef dish that called for wine & I purposely went out & bought AF wine for it.

~ I won't allow myself to drink AF wine or beer on a regular basis. I have given myself permission to have these, but I have only had 1 AF beer & 2 glasses of AF wine in my 5 1/2 year sobriety. I know that too much of that taste will bring back the beast. I loved vodka & tonic, and only in the last couple of years have I allowed myself an occasional tonic water... I think of it as a real treat.

~ no liqueur filled chocolates or desserts.

~ mouthwash & cold syrups with alcohol are okay. I never abused them, and they are not a trigger for me. I guzzled wine... not mouthwash! :H
                    AF 6 years
                    NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

Welcome Dest!! So good to see you and your success! I couldn't be happier for you!!!

Fallen...interesting question!!! At about 6 months, I had a ravioli dish that afterwards I learned had a marsala sauce! I was mortified...that is the ONLY trace I've had. I was never crazy about dishes with wine in them when I was in full ALK mode, so that hasn't changed now. I would eat something if I were at a dinner party and knew the wine had cooked out, but if I were choosing from a menu, I would choose to eat something else. I do not eat desserts with AL in them or flambe'd things (sp?) I have had a beer battered onion ring...but I don't tamper with success. I just don't trust my ALK MIND.
                      I have tried AF wine, but it tastes so sweet and is so full of calories why bother? Funny, the calories or sweet never bothered me when there was AL in it...go figure.

I have purchased AF mouthwash and cough syrup and have that on hand so I don't give myself the option of the other stuff.

I would not eat a chocolate with liqueor in it.

I take the wine at communion hold it for a moment, and put it back in the holder.

I guess I am a hardliner. Being in the Newbie's Nest, I've seen just little things derail folks..and I want to practice what I preach. So far, I have not felt deprived at all...there are always other choices of stuff out there...

Gosh, this is interesting! Thanks! B
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi friends,
                        My husband drinks wine daily, not too much. I usually add some wine to the soups I make regularly. I feel like I just need to be comfortable having it around me. No need to be afraid if it, I just don't want any, I'm done.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

One of my speciality dishes that I've made for 40+ years and that people expect when they come over is Spiced Pickled Steamed Shrimp. I spent my summers on Chesapeake bay as a young person and that was one seafood I could eat. I'm highly allergic to fish but not to shellfish :upset:??? Weird, I know. Any Whooo I always used beer as a base to simmer the pickling spices in. Over New Years I made this dish for my party and used lemon water instead of beer. Everyone said it was the best shrimp ever...soooo there ya go. Where there's a will, there's a way! :l
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Wow Hippy,
                            Now I'm hungry for crabcakes :H
                            Did you ever go to Woody's? I can be there in about 20 minutes
                            Woody's Crab House, North East, Maryland - Maryland Crab Cakes and Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs!

FA, i made a solemn vow to never, ever step foot in a liquor store again. To date, I have kept that promise. I don't cook anything that requires wine! I have avoided anything on a resturant menu that has wine, Jack Daniels or any poison in it's selection. No, i never abused cough syrups or mouthwash either, thank goodness!

If someone wants to drink here they have to bring their own. I'm not bothered by that
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lavande;1454534 wrote: Wow Hippy,
                              Now I'm hungry for crabcakes :H
                              Did you ever go to Woody's? I can be there in about 20 minutes
                              Woody's Crab House, North East, Maryland - Maryland Crab Cakes and Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs!

FA, i made a solemn vow to never, ever step foot in a liquor store again. To date, I have kept that promise. I don't cook anything that requires wine! I have avoided anything on a resturant menu that has wine, Jack Daniels or any poison in it's selection. No, i never abused cough syrups or mouthwash either, thank goodness!

If someone wants to drink here they have to bring their own. I'm not bothered by that
                              Don't remember the name of the restaurant's but we ate at lots of crab Shacks. I remember when you could get a dz. large hard shell's at Mr. Crab for $5 to go or $6 to eat on their picnic table. My great Uncle Nef was a crabber and I'd go out on the boat with him sometimes to help pull in the traps. I heard that last summer the Chesapeake area was importing all the large size blue they could buy from Florida at $1.50 per crab. I wonder what peeps on the other end had to pay for em huh??? Those crab cakes at Woody's look amazing!! Pass the Old Bay and the butter please!

Comment

Destiniey;1454275 wrote: Good morning everyone! Never in a million years did I think that I would be able to join/post in the 100 Day Club Member thread but I am happy to say that I celebrated my 6 month anniversary on the 18th and am slowly closing in on day 200 AF......YAY YAY YAY! I have to read back over the posts but I ust wanted to say Hi!
                                I remember reading posts from you WAY back when NN was started and look at you now!

You are the poster child for never quit quitting.....please visit often.....the newbies need to hear you.

Comment

Working...
                                X