• Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

:hallo:

I'm in once I get home.

CanToo

AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

FallenAngel;1447069 wrote: I read a great insightful post on another thread by Slaythefear. With her permission, I'm posting it here for discussion:

"Presently, I believe something was missing...that proverbial hole within, and I filled it with alcohol. Alcohol makes you feel accepted and removes the emptiness...temporarily. Then it becomes a crutch, a friend in times of need, an escape and then an addiction for some or the enemy of ever really filling the hole within.

I believe the hole within is the absence of love and acceptance...feeling good enough to be loved as is and being able to count on that love. The break starts in childhood for various reasons and continues on in our judgmental social engineering world. We become programmed to fill it with all the wrong things.

This could be a good essay.

Slay"

Have any of you experienced this emptiness?
      The funny thing FA is I actually felt hungry when upset, that inner emptiness that some feed with real food and we fill with alcohol.

The answer, I believe, is self acceptance. You fill the 'hole' with self. This is not to be confused with being selfish or selfless but truly recognising every part of you as acceptable. Most people reject ' bad' parts of themselves......this is the 'hole'.

I am nothing like the person society expects me to be, this used to make me feel like a fraud. I now realise it is our society that is fraudulent, there is nothing wrong with me, there never was.

Comment

Good thread :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I think we all have these holes in our lives that we need to fill..whether it be due to any number of reasons...divorce split up bereavement lifestyle your own dissatisfaction with yourself confidence childhood trauma...there are thousands of reasons why.its how you fill it that counts..some take drugs, do weird and wonderful things, turn to crime..not necessarily for need but the buzz, take up new hobbies, channel their energies into a sport etc We in the main tried to fill the void with drink and kid ourselves on that the world was a beautiful place..where in fact it probably was..if you could remember anything about it through the banging headache stinking breath and bloodshot eyes..not making any point, just my thoughts...going back to the point earlier..Kuya came up with a good one..yep when I think about it I have stormed off and then reflected...boy you must have looked a right di..head and laughed !!!
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Great reflective thread everyone. My story is the same but different: I wasn't ever a daily drinker, not sure how I found the time to drink because I keep my life full. I quit gradually, hanging out on the moderate drinking world for a long time. My life has improved, like yours, but I still get those those nagging thoughts sometimes, that it wasn't that bad. I keep my recovery list close at hand, available for me to read when that thought creeps in. The inspiration for my list is posted in the tool box thread. So I feel like I've been quitting longer than others here, yet I'm not done as long as those thoughts hang around. I guess that's why I keep posting.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I tried countless times to quit and had times of success. This time everything feels different. I always was depressed and felt like I was being deprived of alcohol when I quit before. Now I see the world differently. Somehow, this time I know I won't drink again. I'm building friendships with people who know I'm in recovery and support me in it. No more making excuses. I simply say that some people can't drink and I am one of those people. I was always embarrassed to say that I couldn't do anything. I guess booze took me so far down this last time that everything about me changed. I no longer fear death. I embrace life because I deserve a chance at living...not just surviving. I've heard it said that when an alcoholic drinks alcohol...Alcohol LIVES and the alcoholic merely survives. I think that's true. This time I'm the one who is gonna live and LIVE IN LOVE, I shall!
              Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

I know all about the giant hole in life created by the lack of love & acceptance from those who are supposed to be there for you
                I am doing my best to be the best person I can be. I know I am good enough, I always have been.
                Deciding to no longer beg for the attention I thought I deserved has been a big help

I am keeping my quits ~ primarily for ME.
                Those who choose to stick around me are reaping the benefits & that can only be a good thing. Harboring no resentments is very important for us. I'm not quite there yet but I'm getting closer
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lavande;1447243 wrote: I know all about the giant hole in life created by the lack of love & acceptance from those who are supposed to be there for you
                  I am doing my best to be the best person I can be. I know I am good enough, I always have been.
                  Deciding to no longer beg for the attention I thought I deserved has been a big help

I am keeping my quits ~ primarily for ME.
                  Those who choose to stick around me are reaping the benefits & that can only be a good thing. Harboring no resentments is very important for us. I'm not quite there yet but I'm getting closer
                  I too am doing by best to hold no grudges against anyone, EVER!
                  Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Wow...some amazing truths here....for a bunch of old ____ who wanted a place to NOT talk about AL, we've sure come up with some profound stuff regarding it! Thank you for sharing these very intimate thoughts here....self acceptance indeed!! B
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Changing the topic here...

let's give a big "atta girl" to Byrdlady...
                      today is her 2 year milestone!
                      Congratulations!!
                      :bday3::disco::woot:
                      AF 6 years
                      NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

:angel::angel::angel: T-Byrdie!!!!!!:angel::angel::angel:

How time flies when you have jet packs under your wings!!!! You have been an inspiration....a role model....and a friend to so many of us here.....my gratitude is deep. You helped me out of that abyss and back into the realm of the living.

Congratulations on this incredible milestone.....you are an amazing, marvelous person!
                        Sober for the Revolution!
                        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Hippyman;1447248 wrote: I too am doing by best to hold no grudges against anyone, EVER!

Ohhhhh, thats a toughie for me......Im pretty laid back, and it takes a bunch to get me worked up, but once you push my buttons........its on! LOL

Character flaw of mine for SURE :H
                          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

awesome byrdlady! 2 years is a lot of growth and wisdom, and you share it so freely! thanks!
                            10-06-2012

Comment

as for filling that empty place with al, i agree. it can be as simple as boredom, or as deep as abuse and neglect in childhood, or adulthood. whatever it is, it's a need that isn't being met. sometimes we can fix it ourselves and sometimes we need help, mostly we need help, or at least someone to talk to. thanks for being people i can talk to online, it really helps to have understanding and support, especially when we are trying to LIVE sober, and over the hump of early early sobriety.

ps, those are my beagles lucy and puck...puck died a few years ago. we adopted another male beagle from the seattle beagle rescue, his name is spike and he's insane. i'll post a pic of him oneday.
                              10-06-2012

Comment

Thanks, everyone for the 2 year 'atta girls'. As I say all the time, I couldn't have done it alone...it was this place, and specifically, LAV, that got me out of my hell hole. There isn't enough tea in China to thank her!! I hope she knows how I feel!!

Hippy, are the people that helped you still living with you? Gosh, they are angels for sure!! Yours is an amazing story!

Turn, great to see you! And thank you for the kind words!

I remember the day Mick first posted and thought, "gosh, you sure picked a heck of a day to start!!!" The 4th of July is a big party day over here! I'm glad you didn't get that memo!!! You just got going and never looked back!

Hope everyone is having as good a day as I am!! XXOO, B
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X