100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

9 AF months for you Catbuddy - cool
    I am very happy things have picked up for you, stay happy
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks, Lav. I hope your summer is going well. Hi Birdie and everyone else I've been missing!

Cat
      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Meowie Wowie Catbuddy on 9 months. You are rocking this thing. I'm glad you're checking back in!

And Halo, welcome to the 'club' as it is...living free of addiction is all good. Yup.
        Sober for the Revolution!
        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Time's flying - almost a week of July gone already

Hazy, hot & humid here in SE PA - perfect BBQ weather as long as someone else is doing the grilling :H

I hop everyone has a nice weekend
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

All good here, Lav! We are the one small area of NC that has dodged a good bit of all that rain! It's hot and humid here now, like a steam bath!
            Cat, so good to see you! I am thrilled that you are keeping on the AF path! For us, it's the ONLY way to fly! I'm so glad you've checked in!
            Hope everyone is having a safe holiday weekend! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdie, it's good to be among my friends.

We are in this struggle for life, aren't we?

Cat
              "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Hi, Lav (and other 100 day grads).

I read about your loss of your brother. I'm sorry he did not live his life to the fullest and that you were not as close as you were when you were younger. You, as always, sound very strong and would not be derailed by something like this, even if you and he had been very close. I really admire, and try to emulate, your attitude.

But - I've been worrying about this lately. For whatever reason, I'm really down today, and so worrying more than usual about how I will handle even a minor crisis. I feel really strong day to day when I have almost 100% control of my schedule and activities. I don't have any pressing problems at the moment and don't feel immediately at risk but there are some changes on the horizon that could be very difficult.

So, while right now I have no desire to drink, I am afraid that when this is no longer 'easy', I will. I'd like to hear from any and all of you about this.

Thanks for being here, NS

Comment

NS, my attitude has long been known around here as 'Lavan-ittude' :H :H
                  I made a commitment on March 26, 2009 to never drink again & that's it - I won't drink!
                  I took that option off the table so when I have a shitty day ~ I find something else to do, I just don't drink
                  It took me a good year or more until I felt I could completely trust myself! I had disappointed myself for too long, I just didn't want to do that anymore. I wanted to feel proud of myself again & be the person I wanted to be. You will do it too - just don't drink! I enjoy my quiet meditation time much more than I ever enjoyed a bottle of wine.

Since I quit drinking a lot of good things have happened in my life & a few bad things have happened too. I didn't drink for any of them - that's my choice
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav, that was beautiful.

Cat

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Cat, I just wanted to stop by & offer you a laster: and a :l for your broken nose!!!!!
                      So sorry that happened & I hot you heal very quickly
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I've got to read back and see what happened to Cat's nose! :cat: Holy cow, I have heard there is no pain like that!!! Wishing you immediate healing!!!

NoSugar, I hope your low 'spell' has passed. There is NO BETTER teacher on this journey than Lav. All I try to do is what I see her do...so far so good!! (no pressure, Lav!!) In my own journey, I have been pretty lucky that nothing horrific happened until my second year sober. That was the loss of my dad over last Christmas/New Year's, when you first started. That was one of THE hardest times I have ever experienced, we were exhausted and emotionally drained. NOT ONE TIME did I ever consider solace from AL. It's as if I have just moved on from that crutch. It was a great feeling (in the face of tragedy). I was proud of myself (for once). I knew my dad would have been, too. I think you reach a point where you have other coping skills to draw from (thank GOD!!!) and AL just is no longer an option in my arsenal. I think if you were really tested, you would see it for yourself. You have spent (like all of us here on this thread) an enormous amount of time reading and seeing firsthand what happens when we go back. No thanks to that. NOT ONE PERSON has ever gone back and been successful. That's proof enough for me!!! You may not have the confidence yet, but I have it in you!!
                        Hope everyone has a wonderful Sattidy!! Rain again! Hugs all, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Dear Lav and Byrdie,

Thanks for your responses. The death of a parent is exactly the kind of challenge that I am concerned about. Luckily my free-floating anxiety has gone away and right now, it is more of an intellectual question: How am I going to handle it when X happens? I guess the answer is one day at a time and as you so succinctly say, Lav, 'just don't drink'.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Byrdie. Your belief in me last February is a huge part of why I am here on day 171 (!). You expressed confidence way before I felt it so I'm going to just go ahead and assume you are correct this time, too !

Hope anyone reading this thread is having a fabulous, AF weekend!

:h NS

Comment

Hi NoSugar,

First, I love your name. I believe sugar is a huge no no for me too. It's hard to resist, but so important to my mental health. Thanks for the reinforcement - I think about it every time I see a post from you.

Ugh. Nose was broken by collision in a soccer game. I also got whiiplash, which has made today miserable. Just pain all over face, head and neck. Ugh again. Thanks for the hug, Lav. It's always nice to be be here with friends.

Cat

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Hi, Cat

The no sugar thing is good for my mental state, too, but my impetus to get off it was careening blood sugar concentrations - they are pretty stable now but increase too much if I consume much sugar or sugary carbs so I'm on that wagon, too .

I'm sorry about your nose! It is nice that the back story is sporty and cool - much better than tripping on a curb as I did when I was 9 and received that injury. The whiplash sounds very painful - I hope you get some relief today and that your nose heals quickly.

Nice to meet you! :h NS

Comment

Ret. nurse Lav just checking in on the wounded

K9, how are you doing & how's your foot?
                                I was sorry to hear about Sandy too. It's a hard thing to do but the right thing :l

Cat, how about you?
                                How are your boo boos?

Geez - I'm going to need as assistant if anyone else ends on the injured list :H
                                Be careful everyone
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X