Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On Enneagram Types and generally being chuffed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zed;469030 wrote:
    It's time to drink my coffee before it turns cold!
    Good Zen student, you are!

Would love to talk more Buddhiana...

I've eaten breakfast, time to wash the bowls...

wip

Comment

go, go... and drink some tea

Comment

okay wip
        I don't quite know what I am talking about here, but I have read that there are different types of meditation practices, with different goals. And different types suit different kinds of minds better. You know, there is Christian meditation with the rosary, and eastern types of meditation. This is not a very specific question, but what are your thoughts on that?
        Lila

Comment

Lila, that's a very good question, and a big one! Contemplative practices, including meditation, exist in all the great religions, of course. Fundamentally there is no difference between "Christian" meditation and "Buddhist" meditation. Christians tend to teach and practice with a mantra (or a phrase used as an anchor for the attention, and sometimes, as with the Rosary, as a subject for reflecting on or thinking about), including praying the Rosary, and Centering Prayer. Transcendental Meditation also uses a mantra. Within Buddhist practice, there are hundreds of different types of meditation. Vipassana, or Mindfulness Meditation (also called Insight Meditation), is being used by many psychologists, with a lot of solid research backing its effectiveness in mood regulation and relapse prevention, among other applications.

Complicating all this is the diverse use of the term "meditation." Within Christian tradition, meditation includes reflecting on, or thinking about, the meaning of a phrase or Scripture passage, and contemplation means what we usually call "meditation" in the Buddhist traditions, that is, not thinking about anything, but observing everything. And in AA, most 12-steppers think of meditation as in the "thinking about" or "reflecting on" certain passages in the little "meditation books" that they use.

As far as which type might suit "different kinds of minds," many teachers from many different traditions have opinions about that! As a teacher, myself, I tend to prescribe a meditation form called the "body scan" for people who are particularly anxious, or who are especially out of touch or lacking in awareness of their own emotions.

There are tons of books that give good introductions to all this. You can find some on one of my websites: click here.

wip

Comment

wip - Thanks for that link! I am going there now!
            Lila

Comment

I'm a 9w1 and reading the descriptions, seems pretty right on to me...interesting.

Comment

I should say that I'm a strong advocate of breathing. I find that it's a commendable technique if, that is, one's interested in staying alive. If not, however, then not breathing works better.

Comment

Ha ha Zed! You are very wise :-)
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Well, it looks like I'm either a 2w3 or 3w2...I guess it depends on my mood swing, LOL! It also said, "It is not clear from these test results which Enneagram type and wing you are." OMG, I can't even take a personality test and pass! Just kidding, I love these things, thanks for this, Zed!
                    "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Zed, this is very intersting.....

I took this test awhile ago and was almost a dead tie for 2 (helper), 4 (individualist) 9 (Peacemaker). #2was the highest but 4 & 9 were tied and only one point lower than 2. So does this mean I am Sybil and have multiple personalities? Which I suppose could be true dependant on whether I am sober or drinking.
                      "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

Comment

Maybe you are just very balanced, C&C!

Comment

zed;469115 wrote: I should say that I'm a strong advocate of breathing. I find that it's a commendable technique if, that is, one's interested in staying alive. If not, however, then not breathing works better.
                          That's awesome! :H

But there is a lot to be said for focusing on the breath and the breathing "technique" throughout the day. We do tend to naturally breathe more shallow breaths when stressed. It is very calming to intentionally do some deep belly breaths when you feel that tension creeping in.

Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

I am surprised at this test. I am generally frustrated when I take these tests because I come out clustered all over the place. With this one I was a clear 2. I was even more surprised when I read the description and found myself nodding my head in agreement at most of it. Ok I have to go back and think about some of it.

periwinkle
                            Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Hey C&C,

I'm as much of an expert about this stuff as the rest of us are... but one thing I can say is that I read through some bits and it says that mothers (I would loosely translate that into 'full-time, serious nurturers, care-givers..) sometimes show up as Type 9s when they're 2s... so makes sense if you come out as a 9 and a 2... I know you are a mother.

Peri, you are a 2 also? Deebs and me also. Welcome to our helping club! I'm not surprised you are a 2 - knowing you the way I do... you are a great care-giver.

Cheers.

Comment

zed;468889 wrote: TYPE 2
                                Helpers who need to be needed

Twos often develop a sense of entitlement when it comes to the people closest to them. Because they have extended themselves for others, they begin to feel that gratitude is owed to them.
                                Ouch! That really hurt to read but the more I think about it the more I believe it to be true for me. Especially in the past and I will watch for the future, I would often feel that it was *owed* it to me because look at what I had given of myself.... invariable I would be hugely dissapointed and angry when I didn't get it. In particular I am talking of my marraige. So this is a gob-smaking moment that I will remember the next time I am having these negative feelings.
                                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Working...
                                X