Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 8th December

Hi Gang,
    I will commit to being alcohol free today, tomorrow and Tuesday. I also want to post a commitment here not to drink alone, (and no, my children don't count as company for drinks!)

My husband will be home late tonight, and I anticipate that that will be a real relief for me. I have been thinking a lot about my plan and will probably post it on "Post Your Moderation Plan" soon.

Periwinkle, your area sounds so beautiful. We live in a suburb North of Boston. We haven't had snow yet, and the kids can't wait. It is bitter cold...
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

I will be AF every day until Friday 12/19.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

You guys!!!

Are too impetuous for me!!!
        Let me think about this... I'll let it percolate and get back to you on my possible little meager commitment...
        ~Kid~
        It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

hi all - I am still around but getting stuff done....just wanted to say hi!

Comment

"I cross my heart and hope to die...

...I cross my heart and hope to die/Stick a needle in my eye.."
            Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness. Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.
            Mod Pacts in Progress

KW: Monday and Tuesday
            Ask:Sunday and Monday
            Sara: Sunday,Monday, Tuesday
            Sunbeam: AF until Friday 12/19!!!
            ANYONE ELSE??
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Kid, love the challenge, please please let's do this again NEXT week. I am not ready for this but hopefully will be very soon!
              I will be ready - cross my heart!!
              Lila

Comment

kid thanks for doing this, i am so impressed with your IT skills! Lila could you just do tomorrow? Kid will you be able to carry it forward to the new thread starting tomorrow? will def need more of these pacts to keep me focused in 2009! Hope more are up for the challenge. sunbeam i love your confidence, one day i will be that certain!
                Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

thank you keeps, I will think about it, I will,
                  and Peri, yes, nature is so healing and all, that sounds lovely - I love it when it is winter and we don't have to go anywhere, so cozy!

Comment

ok no pressure whatevers best for you lila x

Comment

KW, I hope you too will gain confidence as you replace old (bad) habits with new (good) ones.

Were you the one who said something about goals for 2009? I thought about that this afternoon, and posted mine under the Post Your Goals thread.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

yes i was will go and read that thread now, thanks

Comment

Different rhythms...

Lila and I will cheer you on from the sidelines...And I will take care of carrying the list forward, don't worry KW.
                          ~KS~
                          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Happy Sunday Mod Squad,

I've spent most of the last hour catching up on all the activity on this thread. My, we are an active, thoughtful bunch. I've been immersed with all things work and Christmas, but feeling a little less overwhelmed than I was last week. On most of the Christmas prep fronts, nearly done with activities. Then, I went to a "Long Night" service at church tonight which was meant for those who are dealing with loss or grief during the holidays, or for people who just want a quiet corner in an otherwise too-busy season. I'm in the latter group, and enjoyed the quiet reflection. Just what the dr. ordered!

Deebs, thank you so much for sharing your email from hubby. I join with the others here who recognized their own circumstances in yours. Yes, that is a shame we never want to revisit. You are a sharp, charming woman. No wonder your husband wanted the authentic Deebers, not some drunk version.

To everyone else, I loved so many of your posts. It's hard to respond individually, but I learned a great deal tonight. Eve, so glad you liked Bali. You figured out the drivers like Elizabeth Gilbert figured out some of Wayan's reluctance when she was land shopping. I'm such a sucker - I'd be taken to the cleaners!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Sounds like we all have some challenges; but we all know that having a second when one will do, or finishing a bottle when it could easily be around for another time solves nothing. I may not have much posting time this upcoming week - we'll see. Expect to be putting in many extra hours at work. Take care all.

Vera-b

Comment

Hey Everyone,
                              I feel better already, just one AF evening later . A good night with the kids, and a productive day of re-arranging furniture. I love to do that when Hubby's away. It's partly because it's fun to surprise him, and partly because I can do it without a second opinion . He has a theory that you "only move something once". So I've moved a lot of couches and tables and beds on my own. Today I had three brawny, strapping young men to help me, ages 5, 7 and 9.

Kid, thanks for keeping track of us in the AF agreement, even if you're not in on this one...I can predict I'll be wanting a glass of wine tomorrow night, but I will keep to the pact, and then be glad I did.

I'm going to check out the goals for '09 posts, and give that some thought for myself. Good night, all.
                              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Oh boy. I am WAYYYY behind on the Mod posts. It's going to take me a solid hour to read through and catch up. Don't have that hour at hand right now, but soon.

Until then, will just report on how things have been here. Beijing has been warmish (for this time of the year), it's a milder winter than last year - or maybe I just feel that because I live in an apartment that's centrally heated, while last winter I lived in a traditional courtyard house with NO heating and an outside bathroom... try taking a shower when it's minus 10 INSIDE the bathroom...yowzer LOL!. Generally this is proving to be a much nicer winter on all fronts. SO that's GREAT.

My modding has not been anything to write home about. Since I returned from Spore, I have been drinking almost daily. Which in itself, is not what upsets me.. what upsets me is that 1. I have been drinking too much on certain days and 2. I have cut out my exercise over the last couple of weeks. Moderation is about moderation.

Anyway, the good news is that, as of yesterday, I am back on the Mod Wagon. Got my head straight again, and focused. Hit the gym for a 45 minute bike ride which felt bloody GREAT, and had an AF day. Past few days have been social drinking days... people calling up, saying, "come out, we're at a bar...", so those are never easy for me to handle.

This Friday, I am off home for 2 weeks. That will be interesting, but I plan to maintain decorum and control without ANY doubt. My entire family is around and it's kind of a place where I can manage it, because there is SO MUCH to do, and SO MUCH to see... so that helps with moderation. Can't be boozing more than one needs to, when the place is filled with things and people, magic, and energies. I mean, one can... but I won't let it happen.

I hope to catch up with all you boys and girls before I take off. Will be on here through the week.

Hope everyone is doing well!

My VERY Best to you all.

z

Comment

Working...
                                X