• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 15th Dec

ps: SS and St J glad your back on track x
    Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

I Cross My Heart....(Anyone dead or blind yet??)

....I cross my heart and hope to die/Stick a needle in my eye.."
      Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness. Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.
      Mod Pacts in Progress

KW and Periwinkle: Monday and Tuesday
      Ask:Sunday and Monday
      Sara
      : Sunday,Monday, Tuesday
      Sunbeam,Lila and Jamms
      : AF until Friday 12/19!!!
      DeeBee
      : Wednesday,Thursday,Friday (right?)
      St.John:
      M-F

How are you doing???????

ANYONE ELSE??
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

If massages keep us on track...SIGN ME UP!!!

Great, healthy plan KW!
        I am curious regarding everyone's feelings about the meds so thanks for the input.
        I'm already on my own series of supplements that rather parallel the program's. My daughter and I have started having the missus add more vegies to the evening meal (and I drink a glass of V8 each day) For exercise, I've started walking a circuit at least once per day though I haven't used my gym membership in about 2 years! I'm going back in 2009, darn it!
        ~Kid~

keepwalking;496328 wrote: ...although i want to do the prog proper from 2009 i will not be taking the TOPA, i just want to listen to the cd;s and take the supps every day regularly, also really health diet and introduce the exercise as a must! I have had to buy a jotter to-day because there is so much good advice and though provoking stuff on this thread that by the time I have read all the posts I have to go back and read them all again to remember them! - KW
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

I am still on. It is too cold to go to the liquor store, darn it!
          I do not take any meds, and in answer to the question before, I don't at all consider myself an alcoholic, rather someone who had found a rather unhealthy way to relax...I was so glad when I found this place, because, well, I was worried I was drinking too much....anyways, I am still on!
          Some people have done so well with the supplements, the whole deal MWO recommends that they have not needed meds. Even some people who were really really drinking heavily. Alternative ways are pretty powerful. For instance, I am taking a high quality St Johns Wort pill every day and it is keeping me sane and not letting me fall into any SAD depression.
          My fingers are still cold - I just got home!
          Lila

Comment

Hi everyone,
            Kid, I don't take the meds, and feel I don't need the supplements because I eat pretty health food, lots of fruits, veggies and whole grains. The excess alcohol was the only unhealthy part. I also exercise very regularly. I had been a few days AF before I found this site, and didn't think I needed these supports. I probably should have bought the CD's, but prayer seems to work for me.

Regarding alcoholism, I think WIP said that there are various levels of being alcoholic. She said that alcoholism professionals don't distinguish much among them. But if it makes you feel better to make the differentiations, go ahead. Something like that. I know I was greatly comforted about the concept of a problem drinker in the MWO book. It told me there were others like me. Now, I don't care much what anyone calls it. I have a problem controlling alcohol intake, but I have learned new habits that become more secure for me with each passing month. I feel quite confident in this. When I was 2.5 months AF, I was not confident I could remain AF, and I feared what might happen, that I might fall right back where I was. But now I keep just enough alcohol in my life to let me know I can control it. Many AF people would find this backward thinking, but I feel way better now, confident about controlling alcohol, than I did last spring & summer. In spring /summer I was following the pattern of drinking most weekends, and sometimes during the week, just 2-3 glasses.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I think that is great, Sunbeam. Another problem with that label of course, is the whole AA stuff that goes with it...and it is wonderful how it is working out for you, I think.

Comment

Semantics..

I'm with you,Sunbeam. I think in 2009 I'm going to be a problem drinker.:toasted: (instead of an alcoholic!)
                Sunbeam;496585 wrote:
                ...there are various levels of being alcoholic...if it makes you feel better to make the differentiations, go ahead. ... now I keep just enough alcohol in my life to let me know I can control it. Many AF people would find this backward thinking, but I feel way better now, confident about controlling alcohol,....
                ~KS~
                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi Lila,
                  Yes, I agree. The problem with the alcoholic label is that the world thinks you need to just stop drinking. The concept of learning to control alcohol just isn't out there much. Most believe that if you were going to learn to control alcohol, you would have done it already. I certainly tried both stopping and cutting back before coming here. Learning to control alcohol takes being honest with yourself, and that is pretty hard with alcohol in the picture. For me, the Drink Tracker has been a critical piece, as well as the realization that I simply cannot drink more than once a week on a regular basis. If I do, I will not feel in control, and at some point I will let go.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

That's a good idea. I have a headache, I had some AllOne powder and maybe it went away. I am tired, and I would be annoyed at my kids, but I am too aware of what is going on. I had some deep relaxation today and that really made a big difference. One of those shiatsu electric chair massagers at the dentists office waiting room...I want one.
                    Mom,mom,mom, mom.....well, I am very important. Kids need me to read books to them.
                    Have to run, all you Modders, just wanted to share about Day Two here!

Comment

I Cross My Heart...(Anyone dead or blind yet???)

....I cross my heart and hope to die/Stick a needle in my eye.."
                      Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness. Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.
                      Mod Pacts in Progress

KW and Sara: Wednesday and Thursday
                      Ask:Sunday and Monday (success?)
                      Sunbeam,Lila and Jamms
                      : AF until Friday 12/19!!!
                      DeeBee
                      : Wednesday,Thursday,Friday (right?)
                      St.John:
                      M-F

How are you doing???????

ANYONE ELSE??
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi mod squad!

Checking in after another long and cold day. Not as bad today, in the 30*?s today, felt like a heat wave after yesterday?s -0 #?s!

DeeBee;495930 wrote:
                        -- I miss the fun of drinking sometimes. I was questioning myself last night... wtf am I doing this for? It is so easy to slip into "oh woe, feel sorry for me" mode.
                        When I read this DeeBee, it was, yea, that crosses my mind at times. On Sunday, when I had the teriible craving for one more. The events of the day that led up to that is what I had to look at later. I had called home before the football game started and hubby had clearly started drinking before I got home and before the game had started. I had "planned" for 2 during the 3 hour game. I think he had at least 2 before I got home. I didn't want to count how many he had, but it seemed like way more than his usual. I was just kind of ticked off at him. I didn't say anything. He almost never drinks that much. Our team did really bad that day! I stuck to my 2 glasses of wine, but all the emotion of the day and seeing him get toasted... I just really wanted one more! He had more "fun" than I did! Yes! Woe is me too girl friend! So thank you for sharing. :thanks: I think you really helped me start to sort that whole thing out.

So here is the dilemma though: I thought I could see myself in at some point and that's what it was. One of my mod rules, check my motives before taking the drink. Is it social or is it out of emotion? But I had "planned" to have no more than 2 drinks during the game. Then something happened that messed with my emotions. Ah, now am I to say "no" because my emotions have turned? Well isn't that just the berries?! I'm 48, which is worse than puberty, just ask my husband! My emotions can change 100 times an hour! And that's when I'm not having a hot flash! verheated:

Wow, this is complicated! And zed just said to simplify! I am going to try to simplify. Just as soon as I figure everything out! :H

periwinkle
                        Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Kid asked about topa and MWO program

Kid, first I am very much alive and in full focus. Hubby has caught the cold I had a couple weeks ago. I still have the cough from it though. He made hot toddy?s for me when I was feeling like he is tonight. He made one for himself tonight and asked if I wanted one. I said "yes but hold the bourbon in mine". Hey a pact is a pact, right?!

As far as the MWO program, I started on the kudzu and L-glut when I first found the site. My AL cravings instantly reduced dramatically. I ordered the book, read it, and decided I didn?t want to leave anything out. I wanted to give myself every opportunity to do this ?right? from the start. After my first 2 weeks cutting down with the help from the kudzu, I began gathering all the other items. I committed to the recommended 30 days AF and actually did something like 34 days. My first drink after that time was a beer which tasted totally nasty and I only drank half and gave the rest to hubby. Several days later I tried again and didn't finish my margarita.

I did get the topamax from my GP but asked for it for migraine prevention, which it is also prescribed for. I had a problem with having AL issues in my medical records if I could avoid it. I have a long history of migraines so it was not a problem. In fact, the whole thing was done through an e-mail to my Dr. I am only on 50 mg per day of the topa. It seems to help so far (except the one time on Sunday that I told everyone about). And it is also helping me with my migraines. So for me it?s a win-win. Side effects have been minimal for me, then again, I haven?t dosed up the recommended 300mg per day dosage from the MWO plan. I?ve lost 12 lbs in 9 weeks as it is, I can?t imagine if I were still dosing up!

I like the AllOne and I?m still taking it. You can get it anywhere, Walgreens, Target, etc. I found it with the multi-vitamins not in the area with the protein powders. It has all the amino acids in it that a regular multi-vitamin doesn?t have. AL robs our bodies of these amino acids and it is good for us to replace them. I took all the other recommended supplements and I?m still taking some, but not all of them. I got lazy with the cd?s after my initial 30 days AF, but I?m trying to get back on track with them. I love the cd?s and highly recommend them. I believe they make a tremendous difference for people in this program whether their goal is to moderate or abstain.

I tend to eat healthy anyway, and I practice yoga regularly, so I had those parts of the program fairly well under control before even starting. I did add walking a couple times a week as well.

One other thing I did, which is not part of the MWO program was acupuncture. I had an appointment already scheduled for my headaches. I asked the acupuncturist about AL cravings and she said she could help with that too.

Of course posting here and asking for help from my cyber friends has kept me sane and on the right path. I have a supportive husband which I am extremely grateful for. I reached out to a couple people locally who I know for support too. I have been very selective on this, one is a colleague who has shared with me in the past about his own issues with AL and how he has overcome his alcoholism. Another is an acquaintance who has brought up Al-anon meetings with me before. She is an adult child of an alcoholic parent. These two people have been part of my lifeline when I need a voice on the other end of the phone to talk to. It really helps me to have people like this who know what I?m going through too.

That got really long winded! I didn?t realize I had so much to say on the topic. Well I am grateful that I found the program. I am grateful that I am not where I was just a few short months ago!

Wow, I think I just had one of those ?modder moments? from just before I found this website. Just about how alcohol was affecting me, my body, my mind, and my spirit. I was becomming empty inside and loosing who I am. I was starting to just not give a damn. I don't want to loose me any more. I choose life. I choose to be me.

Love you all,
                          periwinkle :h
                          Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Hey Modders,
                            May I please re-join the pact? As previously confessed, I did drink last night, but not tonight, and I'm in for Wednesday and Thursday.

I loved getting caught up on all these great posts, but can't stay for long...Sometimes I worry that my husband feels I'm shutting him out as I hang out here. I am, actually, aren't I?

Kid, thanks for the kind words about my mothering. I agree, I'm a good mom, for the most part, and yes, it means more to me than anything in my world. I appreciate the reminder that I don't have to be perfect to raise happy, healthy sons.

Sunbeam, I felt a lovely sense of hope reading your post about the process of learning to control one's drinking. It is true that calling oneself an alcoholic immediately brings with it the assumption one can never drink again. It is a relief to find others who are succeeding, more or less, with moderation. I'm with you, too...I am (or have been) a problem drinker. And Lila, I too am definitely someone who had used alcohol as an unhealthy way to relax. It's still so tempting to me to do that. But every time I find another way, I feel that much stronger.

Love and good wishes to everyone else...Must
                            give my husband some attention now. Sara
                            "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

morning mods, did my two days horray!! sarah Im with you for the next two, weds/thurs, Kid count us in. more latrer, have a good day x
                              Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

morning modders
                                I did my two days too. I wasn't even planning to, so I am just following the energy of the group.
                                Sara, are you going to get the kids a puppy? Much better than a Wii!! I just read in the news that most kids cannot even remember what they got for Christmas last year - it is the holiday, not the stuff. Isn't that nice? I am going to test that on my kids.
                                Peri, thanks for sharing so much. Do you, or did you go to al-anon? I am just curious. I used to go as well. I used to go Sunday night but then I started staying home and watching Desperate Housewives. Also, peri, are you seeing a nutritionalist? Someone told me no one should get hotflashes.. I wonder, I will have to look into that.
                                Keeps, thanks for talking yesterday...it was helpful!
                                Kid, yes, still on board, like I said, this now is Day Three.
                                Lila

Comment

Working...
                                X