X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 15th Dec

Cross My Heart...

....I cross my heart and hope to die/Stick a needle in my eye.."
    Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness. Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.
    Mod Pacts in Progress

KW ,Sara,Ask,: Wednesday and Thursday
    Sunbeam,Lila and Jamms
    : AF until Friday 12/19!!!
    DeeBee
    : Wednesday,Thursday,Friday (right?)
    St.John:
    M-F

How are you doing???????

ANYONE ELSE??
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Wednesday morning...

Modders,
      Snow on the ground, finally, here in the Midwest USA. I'm cozy here with the nice warm laptop, a cup of coffee and the Christmas tree. LazyDog is having a dream at my feet by the heater.
      Peri ,Sunbeam and all: Thanks for input on the meds. I feel like I'm OK, having done most of my work prior to coming to MWO but I wanted some opinion so I could change my plan if the house of cards ever started to collapse. Thanks.
      Sara: I'll update the pact sheet.It looks like KW is still with you. Are you doing your Drink Tracker?
      My wife sighs occasionally too, when I'm on the computer (and I'm not on all that much). I'm going to try to find times when she's not around so she won't feel ignored!
      Where I am: I was thrown for a loop when my cravings were so strong last week after 3 days AF. It was a learning experience. I'm back on track now. My next project is to conquer the amount of sleep I'm (not) getting. AL interfered with that and with my mod control in place I'm doing much better. There are other facets to address, though.
      My best to you all. Hope you are enjoying the season.
      ~Kid~
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Sign me up for more

Hi all:

Kid:
        Yes was successfully AF Sunday and Monday (even though out to dinner at friends onSun) - brought my ODouls and told myself . . . next time don't drink alone on Sat because you might have the chance to imbibe with friends on a Sunday, silly girl.)
        Ready to sign up for Wednesday and Thursday AF

Sarasmiles: Sorry I don't know how to insert this quote correctly but I really could relate to it:

"At this time in my life I am so focused on my children.... I judge myself and the quality of every day based on how well I think I did with them. I also evaluate each day based on whether, or how much I drank. It makes for a lot of emotional ups and downs, feeling deeply pained if I have snapped unfairly at one of the kids, and guilty, too, if I've used alcohol when I planned not to. I am exhausted from the self-criticism, but not sure how else to get better. I will continue to think on it."

We are not defined by what we drink, nor are we perfect . . . we all snap at our kids, and sometimes it is good for them to understand our limits. My wish for you is relief from your guilt. I was very blessed to have a counselor who helped me see that guilt would not help me drink less ( in fact probably made me want to drink more). . . and that the self criticism was because I expected far more of myself than I would of anyone else. Can you try to be gentler and more loving toward yourself. Wake up every morning and instead of quickly judging how yesterday went, have some affirmation like: I am a smart strong woman making important changes in my life. I am proud of myself and my progress. But even if I wasn't making these changes, I am worthy of love."

Cold here in Massachusetts. My day off. Getting pix made for Christmas cards and hope to get them in the mail by Saturday. Had a bit of a row with my 14 y/o daughter last nite but otherwise all is well. (Had to practice MY affirmations this morning as she told me I was the worst Mom ever.) lol

Best to all.

Ask

Comment

Ask,
          Thank you for those affirmations - I have some challenges in my life, and those are great!
          Lila

Comment

Hello everyone-

Sara- My hubby has also noticed that I'm spending more time on the PC but he knows what I'm doing now. He's happy that I'm here. Sometimes he has to interupt because he has work to do on PC.

Peri- I'm going to ask Dr. for topa on monday. What is the deal with AL being an health record issue? I do not have rx coverage but I do have Med. coverage. Should I be concerned about something being "on my record"

:l to everyone else!
            :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Stigmatism...

Jamms,
              Part of it is the stigma of admitting to "problem drinking" (I'm learning the terminology! :H )for some of us and having that as a permanent part of our records. The other thing is the very real possibility that your insurance coverage or cost could be affected by admitting to pre existing conditions, health problems, habits or hobbies like HIV, obesity, smoking, drinking or skydiving...
              ~Kid~
              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

hey kid re the pact, is AF wednesday Thursday same AF till Friday, i.e. is everyone in the pact having a drink on friday (one mind!) or are they AF on friday too? Sorry for question but i also like the energy of the group so need to be clear, Thanks for keeping count it really helps. Lila was great to chat, and I am at last getting used to small keyboard so for those of you who have to share pc why not put notebook on your christmas list. On saying that partners may then feel even more ignored but i guess it is for a good cause. Tough days ahead with the holidays so support from the mod squad required. xx
                Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Half and Half...

KW,
                  It looks like part of you might be planning a drink Friday and part of you not; if I understood what people were telling me (it's possible that I misunderstood completely!!)
                  It IS nice to go with the energy of someone you really have a pact with. I don't know how it works; but somebody pointed out the phenomenon that we will honor a pact with a partner that is in it with us, more than we will honor a promise to ourselves.
                  ~Kid~
                  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Drink or no drink Friday? It is Day Three for me. I don't know, probably yes, Keeps. My goal is not to be a teetotaler, but just for me to learn new habits, like not having a few drinks every night...
                    Jamms, I pay a bit more for health insurance because of depression - just for getting a Zoloft prescriptions, over the years from a GP. I would NOT want problem drinking on my record. Yes, a stigma. What if you were ever in a custody battle, or maybe job apps can check your health record...this is the information age.

Comment

Thanks Kid, and Lila.

I don't know what to do. Should I talk to Dr. about topa or what? I'm not planning on getting into a custody ballte, but hey you never know. I've had the same insurance (I'm a union member) for over 14 years. As far as I know they cover substance abuse stuff. I'm very confused

I thought it was best to do this under a dr.s supervision? maybe it's not the best way.

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

Comment

I don't know...have you looked in the threads about prescription meds? There might be more about that,...can you get your doctor to write that it is for migraines but tell them the truth? I don't know; I don't take it.

Comment

Honesty: The best policy??

Jamms,
                          My MD has always let me be candid with her; perhaps yours is the same. You could ask about the best way to proceed as far as what you do or don't want on your records. I haven't felt the stigma that some others have and have been up front so far. I feel good about tackling alcohol and winning. I call myself an alcoholic because I've defined it the way a diabetic might define their problem. I would be a "diabetic" whether my blood sugar was controlled or not. I can control my blood sugar by diet, by exercise, by medications or all three but if I'm having to DO something to control it, I would still be a diabetic. It's more than just "a problem with sugar". I had been AF for about a year before moderating. Even when I was AF I called myself an "alcoholic" because I knew I was just one stop at the liquor store away from starting all over again. My doctor knew how much I drank and was willing to put me on meds if I wanted.
                          Your doctor is on your side. It seems to me your MD could work with you better if he/she knows what you are trying to accomplish, but those concerns I mentioned in the other post may be very real. Again, talk to your doctor first; "off the record".
                          ~Kid~
                          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Thanks Kid and Lila- I'm gonna "talk off record" see where that leads.

Comment

Cross My Heart...

....I cross my heart and hope to die/Stick a needle in my eye.."
                              Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness. Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.
                              Mod Pacts in Progress

KW ,Sara,Ask,Sunbeam,Lila: Wednesday and Thursday
                              DeeBee,Jamms
                              : Wednesday,Thursday,Friday (right?)
                              St.John:
                              M-F

How are you doing???????

ANYONE ELSE??
                              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Kid Shelleen;497170 wrote: KW,
                                It looks like part of you might be planning a drink Friday and part of you not; if I understood what people were telling me (it's possible that I misunderstood completely!!)
                                It IS nice to go with the energy of someone you really have a pact with. I don't know how it works; but somebody pointed out the phenomenon that we will honor a pact with a partner that is in it with us, more than we will honor a promise to ourselves.
                                ~Kid~
                                ye it was me that said that but honestly my question isnt a deep one just one for clarification, i.e ilooking at your list AF wed thurs is that not the same as AF until friday?
                                Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Working...
                                X