Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mod Squad Weekly Thread Beginning February 23, 2009

...and :wow2: I think you meant.

Thanks everyone. Going to see my Grandma tonight, her sister (my great aunt) passed away at the weekend.
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Just dropping in with an interesting quote I found today from James Hetfield of Metallica (don't let that put you off xD)

'The way I change the past is by not repeating it'

I don't know why, but I think thats a really useful quote, if you regret anything...
      The way I change the past is by not repeating it
      -James Hetfield, Metallica

Comment

Hi Folks,
        Everybody sounds so good here. Coping with the world, coping with life. Making progress in lots of ways.

Zed, thanks for those lovely photos. What a special gift, from someone we "know". Not like book photos.

Vlad, congrats on dumping that vodka, and your resolve to quit Vodka for Lent and forever after that. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

ThatGirl, welcome! This IS the place where you can post about planned, moderate drinking, not the AF thread. There's another quote that goes with yours, "The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing but expecting different results".

Within and ThatGirl, I think that there is a difference between a pact and goals. The pacts are usually for specific dates, posted hoping that perhaps someone might join with you. Goals spread out over time. You are welcome to post your goals here, but there is another thread where many of us have posted our goals.

Kid, you started another thread about drinking vs. abstaining. You certainly have found your personal balance. Just one factoid: I think alcohol stays in your body for a week, not three days. I got that from people discussing Antabuse. That's why I have something to drink once a week or less. Even smaller amounts accumulate, and could lead to a binge for me.

Deebs, it is good to see you back on Drink Tracker. I think my recovery hinges on being totally honest with myself and the world, and this public record is a piece of that.

take care, all
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

That's right...

Sunbeam,
          You are absolutely right about it being in your system for a week.
          In the medical community we just use 72 hours as a basic number for detox. It takes that amount of time for most of many drugs and alcohol to be filtered out of the system
          If you are going to have withdrawal symptoms, you probably will have them by then!
          ~KS~
          It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hey guys: This is ThatGirl, I am now using this account for drinktracker as the other would not allow me to use it, I tracked back to saturday but I wanted to know, is drink tracker based on units or actual drinks like, would one beer (2.2 units) be one drink in the same way as one small glass of wine (I think is 1 unit) be the same number on tracker?
            When I was a kid I thought I wanted all the things that I hadn't got, but I learned the hardest way

Time to get what I'm really looking for 17/03/10

Comment

ThatGirl,
              A drink is 5 oz. wine, 5 drinks per bottle of wine. I don't know the conversion for units.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

It's a stinker today!
                The daughter and I are butting heads and I have to call debt collectors -- crap!
                See ya all later.
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Depends on the strength of the wine, I think a 75cl bottle at 11% vol is 4 drinks. That's what our last bottle of wine said on the label.
                  Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

And a 50% vol litre bottle of vodka is... er-hem! A lot of drinks.

Comment

ThatGirl;557418 wrote:
                      'The way I change the past is by not repeating it'.
                      Hi ThatGirl. I REALLY like that quote. Nice to meet you and thanks for the great quote - it's a keeper.

Hello to all. Have been so busy haven't found the time to come here too often this last week or two but all goes well.

Zed, Saw on t.v. today that the producers of slumdog are buying apartments for the families of the two child actors who really do live in the slums as you said. They also are paying for private school and have set up a trust fund so those are two lucky little kids to have been chosen for that movie!! As an adoptive parent it saddens my heart to know that there are so many couples praying and waiting for children and it's so frustrating that not all countries let Americans easily adopt. A sad thing for all concerned.

Have seen some new names so a big hello to those I haven't met.

Keep- Saw you met your W.W. goal - Good for you!

Delta- Amazing how you and hubby are doing with staying AF!! Proud of you.

I deeply considered going AF for lent but have had a change of heart. Hubby's birthday is coming up as is spring break and I just didn't want to take that one on. Enjoy my 2 glasses during holidays and special occasions too much I guess. So Kid, keep me at my no more than 2 pact!!

Was good to see a post from W.I.P. to know that she is still lurking about and keeping a watchful eye on us all. You always have such good info to share W.I.P. so glad to see you're still posting.

Hello to all. I've been AF but have been bad about posting on the drinktracker. Have to get back to that as it keeps me in check.

Hugs to all.
                      Eve11
                      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Gang,
                        It was so good to get at least a bit caught up just now...I'm glad the mod squad is still going strong!

I took a break from coming here when I was really down. It seemed to hurt just to check in when all I could say was "I'm depressed". But I've missed you guys, and I've been doing better. So I'm back.

I went off of Prozac at the end of December, and it was about two weeks after that that I really fell apart. I can't help thinking it was more likely a "rebound" depression than a true "relapse". It also came at a rough time, when things weren't good with my husband, and I was struggling to work out what I want and need from my relationships. I've stayed off of prescription antidepressants...Just started SAM-e a few days ago, and I'm taking "the supps". I've decided to be alcohol free for lent. I'm not Catholic, and have never "done lent" before, but it feels like a very healthy idea for me right now. I want to take the time to get healthy, in body and mind, and to contemplate questions about where I'm going, and what I need to feel more at peace and more joyful. But, I also don't want to say "never again" to alcohol. I believe I can moderate, but it's time for an AF stretch.

My kids are doing great. I had a few moments of normal frustration with them this afternoon and had the thought "I want a glass of wine!" to try and ease the irritation. That's one of my big vulnerabilities. I rode it out. I know that the more times I do that, the more natural it will feel.

Anyway, it's good to be back here...Like coming home again. Sara
                        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Eve11;558536 wrote:
                          Was good to see a post from W.I.P. to know that she is still lurking about and keeping a watchful eye on us all. You always have such good info to share W.I.P. so glad to see you're still posting.
                          Thanks Eve! This is a great thread... I feel as if I have a lot in common with all of you here. Serious modders and serious AF people are not that different... either way, we are engaged in learning to change our thoughts and behaviors with and about alcohol, and living our lives in much more intentional (and meaningful) ways than we did when we allowed alcohol to be in control...

Comment

Hiya Modders!!

It's weekend -- yippeee!!
                            I love my weekends, they are very precious to me.
                            It is another stinker here today so after work I took the daughter for a swim at the country club and the water was wonderfully chilly.
                            The sun is starting to set so it's time for me to do some gardening chores and then start the fire for a braai tonight.

I am super stoked with myself -- tomorrow I quit the twaks a MONTH ago (pat, pat pat on back)

It's like 30 days NF except this time I am not going to go back to modding - total abstinece for me.

Have a super sober weekend everyone.
                            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Deebs,
                              So good to hear you're back "up" today. I am so sorry about your best friend's execssive drinking, per you general discussion post. Good friends are generally hard to find, but sometimes we do change and out-grow old friends.

Congrats on that victory against those "Twaks". You really do have a new life ahead of you.

WIP, thanks for your kind words regarding those of us who are serious about drinking moderately. We don't hear that much here, and I appreciate your support. I do understand, though, that some here just can't bear hearing about drinking. They should be able to get over that with time. Some do, some don't, it seems. There sure are many kinds of us.

Comment

Deebs; that is exceptional!!

Those things are not easy to quit.
                                Don't look back!
                                ~KS~
                                It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                                X