Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occasional Drinking (less than weekly)

Panicked,
    Thanks for the clarification of the AF Army. There was a big to-do, I think last summer, about someone who posted something about moderate drinking. So it used to be only AF. I don't read or post on it, so thanks for the update.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Help! My friends birthday tomorrow - special occasion- we are going for a drink/meal at her house, if I refuse the apero (we are in France, big mistake!) offence will be taken, am dreading it, have managed very well with a lot of difficulty for two weeks, am so scared that if I have even one apero and one glass of wine with dinner I will find it even harder next week, but it is definitely a Special Occasion. Any tips???

Comment

Hi Catnip,

What is "apero"?

If you are not comfortable telling your friend that you do not want to drink, what about using my favorite "I'm on antibiotics and alcohol will make me ill". Or one I used the other day (because it's true) is "I have begun a 6 week program to get back into shape and drinking is not allowed".

Which ever excuse you use, just make sure that you have a plan in place and have plenty of fun AF drinks at hand and if necessary take a couple of AF beers with.

Have a great time at the party tomorrow.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thanks DeeBee, apero is aperitive here!! Usually they make a disgusting mixture of "stuff" and they all think it is delicious but it's not! It's also very strong. Antibiotics is a good idea, thanks again.

Comment

eewwww, apero sounds a bit like our Mampoer shooters -- deadly stuff.
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

In that case...

Pass me a glass!

(Occasionally)
              It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Love that!!

Comment

I like this ...
                  Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
                  Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                  10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                  2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
                  Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
                  AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
                  Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Here I am...

I'm going to head in this direction also, Sunbeam...
                    I know it's not documented that AL is actually addictive;
                    but I DO find that the more days in a row I drink,
                    the harder it is to stop!
                    This stage in my development finds my DrinkTracker prescheduled
                    to have a drink or two on Tuesday nights,
                    when Cat and I go dancing.
                    That gives me 6 days AF each week,
                    unless something special comes up.
                    We'll see how this goes!
                    ~Kid~

Sunbeam;573091 wrote:
                    I decided to start this thread for people who want to learn to or continue to drink only occasionally. This is my choice, and I feel like I have my life back. I want help others others consider this choice when they decide they want to drink moderately. I did 2.5 months AF, then struggled with drinking multiple days per week for about 6 months before I hit on this option. Less alcohol means no cravings for me! I try to only drink for social reasons, sharing some wine with close friends or my husband. I'm not afraid of alcohol, as many AF people seem to be, and on most days I don't think about drinking. I don't think that drinking is all that great, it is just an option I want to keep available in my life.
                    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

I want to be an occasional drinker only. I was AF for 13 days-then screwed up and had 3 drinks-felt really bad-ended up crying-I have been AF for 3 days now. Back on Track! I love this site and all the honesty that is shared.

Comment

Just to say I am 100% on board for this occasional drinking too. I have not actually thought to try modding as in a few on a few occasions each week. I am fairly sure it would not work for and might even mean I would drink more than I was before I started this process as I have only been a once a week (most weeks) drinker for a couple of years now anyway. I had almost reached the conclusion on my own that less often was the key for me before joining as I will always have a bitta trouble stopping. But it has been with the support of people on here and ideas shared like this one SUNBEAM that has made me finally reach decisions as to where I want to get and each step in getting there. I am sure arriving well.

I am just about to enter another eight week AF period to completely reinforce a life without AL as a regular pattern instead of the saturday night drinking thing and then only with forthought and on occasion will I drink.

Thanks for the thread and everyone who has commented. I have just sat and read it right through and it is excellent. Many good thoughts.
                        Moo
                        "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                        but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Moo and CharlyGirl,
                          It is great to see you both here.

ChraleyGirl, more AF time is always better, so it is good you are continuing to work on that. You have to learn to live your life without alcohol, in order to drink moderately, I believe.

Moo, here's my experience with Drink Tracker: If I plan much ahead that I am going to drink, then I sometimes seem to arrive at the date thinking, "now I can DRINK!" It works better for me to just kind of leave the thought out there. Of course, some occasions are events on the calendar, so then you know it is coming. But some occasions for me end up happening more spontaneously. Some weekends the possibility is on the table, but I may or may not. Planning to not drink is a definite, but I usually prefer leaving the drink question open ended.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

That's an interesting thought to share Sunbeam.
                            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi Sunbeam I too would like to think about that occasion as being ok, but I am too new to cutting Al out altogether to think that might be an option. I am also trying AA and they don't believe we can ever drink again, which is tough to handle, but then they say ODAT.

Good luck
                              winefree

Comment

SUNBEAM - Yes that is an interesting thought and I will say that it has already occurred to me and it is a bit like that. I think in a way it may contribute to the going over the top when i do drink issue (although that was the problem to start with so we wont blame drink tracker - lol).

Yes some dates are set in stone and for me (at the moment, it being early days) I am trying to only drink on those very set occasion, so I think it may be something I will have to live with for now. But I take on board what you say and I do agree. I think when I am more comfortable in my AF skin which is definitely coming, I will take this thinking and try it. I am in the process of my second eight weeks AF, then a four day holiday with my mate when I will drink. So if that goes ok, I think I will try this after that and stop pre filing out drink tracker.

Thank you for the thought, its this kind of thinking and chatting and batting of ideas that is making this work like a charm.

Have a great day to all my lovelies

Mooo
                                "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                                but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Working...
                                X