Mod Squad Weekly Thread 20 April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Kid tried to do that but it's only available in the US!!

Was he in the Monkees?

Comment

Yes...

MM: He is a genius songwriter and musician.
      Being in the "Monkees" was probably a not-so-smart career move of his...

j-vo: Hop on the wagon when you are ready.
      Deebee: Are you AF now; I forgot.
      BTW; do you communicate with Zed?
      Would we know if he got into trouble and needed help?
      Those Chinese laws and punishments might cause him more than a little inconvenience.
      j-vo:
      CF has a head start, but to tell you the truth, 30 days is too long for me.
      Being a Modder, I balk at enforced AF anyway.
      It IS poison though, and if I'm going to let myself play with poison
      then I should do a cleansing now and then, yes?
      I feel like 20 days would be a good stint to detox, hydrate, refresh and restore; do some gentle exercise, drink lots of filtered water and pure juices.
      ...Have restful sleep and wake with no semi-hangover.
      I'm going to see about working them (the 20 day R&Rs) into my schedule.
      How often do you all think would be good?
      CF or j-vo:
      How do you decide when to do the 30 day AF??
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

And his mother invented White Out.
        vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Which made him rich...

And gave him lots of time to be creative..
          And gave us something interesting to inhale
          in the bathroom in high school!!
          :nutso:
          (Kidding!)
          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

My teen is a distance runner

So Deebs we would not be laughing TOGETHER teen and I; she would be whupping my A** and loving it. ... hmm that might be a reason to do it. . . give her a leg up.

I have the weekend free as Em is at a Coming of Age (Church) retreat. The sun is shining and I've had a easier week since I took some time off. Am hoping to start biking to work on Monday so have to shift into "get all athletic oriented this weekend." LONG overdue.

You all are my rock.

Sun: Wish I was close enough for a hug: XXOO

G

Comment

Kid, what happened to me was I got complacent. I went to visit my dad, and enjoyed cocktails every night while I was there. Then I had a few days of business travel after that, and since I never get out to bars (Utah is not a great place to bar hop, because the bars here have weird rules about memberships ((which just changed)) but I don't drink and drive, EVER, and there are no taxis where I live and just one bar) but I like the bar scene, especially the kind of dive bars that are a little on the neighborhood funky side so I spent my business travel nights hanging in the bars....*sigh*..got back and was in the cocktails every night routine, just two a night but it was every night again and my liver started aching...

I am new at this game. I only started in November after 20 years of back and forth moderate to heavy to moderate drinking. I figure it might take me a year or two to find my comfort level. Right now this 30 days is not a hard and fast rule. It is a break from alcohol, but I will try and do 30 days to give myself time to change my habits again.

When I was visiting my dad I also saw my younger sister. Her alcohol habit is a bit more progressive than mine, she is 16 years younger and has been at it for quite some time. She asked me for help. I sent her the book, the CD's and some left over supplements that I wasn't interested in taking anymore and encouraged her to give the 30 days a try. She said she wanted to, so I set a date and let her know she was welcome to join me. Sadly, she decided that for now she is not ready to give it a go. That is how this particular 30 days got started, but I can say that I needed the incentive anyhow.

My husband and I were talking last night about my drinking and he said that he can rarely tell the difference between me drinking and not drinking, except on the nights that I drink I tend to toddle off to bed a little earlier. We've been married for eight and a half years and he said in all that time he's seen me legless probably twice. My bad habit is not drinking too much at a time, my bad habit is drinking every day. That is another reason why 30 days (or whatever length of time) is such a good thing for me to do on occasion. I'll probably be doing these types of abstenences for the rest of my life.

I can say that this time it is no sweat at all to stop drinking alcohol. The first time I quit I really thought I would not be able to moderate, and that I had quit for good and it made me sad, depressed and angry. I had all sorts of hard and fast rules going in my head, and I thought of alcohol All The Time. And I literally mean All The Time, for about two months. It wasn't until I quit thinking about it that I dared to take another drink.

Somebody on these boards once said "It's not like the liquor store is going to run out of booze anytime soon." This past week when the notion of having a cocktail brushed into my mind I just thought of that. I have a couple of bottles of bourbon, a bottle of vodka, a bottle of scotch, two bottles of wine, some cordials all at home in the cupboard. I can drink any time I want. I don't have to pour out the booze in order to abstain. So I guess I'm lucky that way.

I set out on this journey to learn how to have an adult relationship with alcohol, and learn how to be the one in control. So for me, it is really not about rules, or how much or when I drink, it is about being an adult and being in control. This is what I'm learning by doing 30 days (or however long) however many times I have to do it.

Of course one of the best parts of the journey is taking it with all of you. xo Beth
              vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Yeah, now that I think about it...

We communicated before and had alot in common with the sadness and misery of giving it up "forever".
                Because of our similarity I was curious why the episodes of 30 days AF;
                since I had no desire to do that
                and didn't see how I would benefit
                (and so couldn't get motivated to DO it).
                What I actually needed was more AF days EACH WEEK,
                not 30 in a row!

But now I'm going to follow your lead, with a slightly different motivation.
                I'm going to do a shorter AF stint, and make it solely
                for refreshing my body...
                More walking, more water, different set of supps etc.
                THIS, I can relate to.
                How weird..this COULD be a lifelong journey...
                It's nice taking it with you TOO, Beth!
                ~Kid~

cyclefan;600288 wrote: Kid, what happened to me was I got complacent. I went to visit my dad, and enjoyed cocktails every night while I was there. Then I had a few days of business travel after that, and since I never get out to bars (Utah is not a great place to bar hop, because the bars here have weird rules about memberships ((which just changed)) but I don't drink and drive, EVER, and there are no taxis where I live and just one bar) but I like the bar scene, especially the kind of dive bars that are a little on the neighborhood funky side so I spent my business travel nights hanging in the bars....*sigh*..got back and was in the cocktails every night routine, just two a night but it was every night again and my liver started aching...

I am new at this game. I only started in November after 20 years of back and forth moderate to heavy to moderate drinking. I figure it might take me a year or two to find my comfort level. Right now this 30 days is not a hard and fast rule. It is a break from alcohol, but I will try and do 30 days to give myself time to change my habits again.

When I was visiting my dad I also saw my younger sister. Her alcohol habit is a bit more progressive than mine, she is 16 years younger and has been at it for quite some time. She asked me for help. I sent her the book, the CD's and some left over supplements that I wasn't interested in taking anymore and encouraged her to give the 30 days a try. She said she wanted to, so I set a date and let her know she was welcome to join me. Sadly, she decided that for now she is not ready to give it a go. That is how this particular 30 days got started, but I can say that I needed the incentive anyhow.

My husband and I were talking last night about my drinking and he said that he can rarely tell the difference between me drinking and not drinking, except on the nights that I drink I tend to toddle off to bed a little earlier. We've been married for eight and a half years and he said in all that time he's seen me legless probably twice. My bad habit is not drinking too much at a time, my bad habit is drinking every day. That is another reason why 30 days (or whatever length of time) is such a good thing for me to do on occasion. I'll probably be doing these types of abstenences for the rest of my life.

I can say that this time it is no sweat at all to stop drinking alcohol. The first time I quit I really thought I would not be able to moderate, and that I had quit for good and it made me sad, depressed and angry. I had all sorts of hard and fast rules going in my head, and I thought of alcohol All The Time. And I literally mean All The Time, for about two months. It wasn't until I quit thinking about it that I dared to take another drink.

Somebody on these boards once said "It's not like the liquor store is going to run out of booze anytime soon." This past week when the notion of having a cocktail brushed into my mind I just thought of that. I have a couple of bottles of bourbon, a bottle of vodka, a bottle of scotch, two bottles of wine, some cordials all at home in the cupboard. I can drink any time I want. I don't have to pour out the booze in order to abstain. So I guess I'm lucky that way.

I set out on this journey to learn how to have an adult relationship with alcohol, and learn how to be the one in control. So for me, it is really not about rules, or how much or when I drink, it is about being an adult and being in control. This is what I'm learning by doing 30 days (or however long) however many times I have to do it.

Of course one of the best parts of the journey is taking it with all of you. xo Beth
                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Beth,
                  You are at a great level with AL. Since you're not a binger like me, I can see why the 30 days are good for you. Thanks for your post. And I think you're right. It does take time to learn new ways. Our brain doesn't learn these things the first, second, or third time. It takes persistence and support which we get here as well as all the tools we never had. And with your sis, she'll come around, because she's already inquired about it from you and that's a positive. And yes, if we're going to beat this beast, we'll be watching our backs for the rest of our lives. I know I will be. Before coming here, I never watched what I was doing, never even considered it. Now I do. I said this before, but I'm so grateful for everyone here. I've come a long way.

Kid -I marked my calendar for 30 days because I wanted to do a full body cleanse. I've got supplements that I bought for cleansing and on top of that, I'm attempting my next try at getting rid of the smokes. It's been ongoing with me, especially when drinking. Not a heavy smoker by any means, but in order for me to kick the habit in it's ass, I need to not drink. That's the main reason I chose 30. Although, I haven't seen the people I worked with for several months because I'm on this sabbatical, and if the girls called and wanted to go out for dinner, I would definitely consider having a few. But other than that, I will and plan to be AF most of May. Until memorial day. That's the plan. So, hopefully my drinktracker can show my O's. And I'm sure the icing on the cake will be a few lbs. that I'll lose due to the healthy things I'll be doing this next month.
                  Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Kid,
                    Yes, 20 days is a great way to detox the body of all the toxins we take in. Go for it. It's amazing the days we can rack up and the life we get to live because of it, without the semi-hangovers.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Good Morning, Ladies....

Greetings from ED's place!
                      I'm spending the next 12 hours here,
                      so I'll drop in on MWO often to see who's hanging around.

So far: a C Diff infection, a tooth abscess, a stroke and a DVT,
                      some ocular "shingles", COPD, two more toothaches, constipation, chest pain (turned out to be cocaine induced "heart attack"),
                      drug screen for MVC, elderly woman with heart rate of 37,
                      seizure with head wound, alcohol detox...
                      Yessiree...My finger is on the pulse of the city!

j-vo: I don't know how well I'll cleanse myself today!
                      In front of me sits a pile of eggs, 5 sausages, and about a half pound
                      of "potato casserole", which consists of fried potatoes, onions, cheese,
                      and sour cream...
                      I'm rarely hungry until about 6PM after eating this for breakfast.
                      Good thing I'm on my third day AF; my liver can only handle SO much!
                      ~Kid~
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Today is the day for me

I'm going to start to rack up some AF days.

As I mentioned I've had the blahs and been eating too much and this week being "sort of on vacation at home" have been out with friends to dinner or having friends in and have been having wine every night.

SO todays the day. Can't promise how long I'll go AF since I do rebel against rules. But I'm going for as many AF days in a row as I can and then if I have a drink, for as many more in a row as I can after that. Won't stop that focus until my weight is back down where it should be (6 - 7 lbs.) and I'm feeling back in control.

Am a little nervous as friends want to get together for cocktails, but my plan is club soda w/ lime and cranberry juice which I have on hand.

Beautiful sunny day. Had a great golf lesson this am. Off for a bike ride.

Later gators.

Ask

Comment

Hey Everyone,
                          Greetings from Sunny Florida. Sunbeam, I'm sorry about your doggy. I'm sure you provided a wonderful home and life!

Our week here has definitely been defined by caring for my in-laws, and Hubby has spent many hours on work phone calls, and on the computer. I get lots of time to just play with the kids, though, so that's good. They are little fish, loving every minute in the water.

I'm drinking more than I do at home. 3-4 glasses of wine a day...Too much, I know..."more than 2 makes me blue...." It's not fun drinking, either. It's not romantic, sitting on the beach and watching the sunset drinking. It's more like, "okay, I'll make dinner, even though MIL says she has no appetite, and FIL has no teeth, and Hubby is crabby..." drinking. It's "might as well make the most of this" drinking. Even so, I seem to have a shut off switch that stops me after 3 or 4, and although it's not ideal, I haven't been really drunk, or hung over. I'm being a good mom...Miniature golf, go carts, icecream, beach...I'm participating and I'm okay. Maybe some day I'll take a vacation and not drink at all. This isn't that week, I'm afraid.

Well, my 5 year old doesn't want to watch the Harry Potter movie his big brothers chose for tonight, and he wants me to build with Lego with him, so I'm off. I'm sending good wishes to all of you.
                          Sara
                          "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Come home, Sara...

A few of us die-hard Modders are doing some AF time
                            to refresh our souls and systems
                            and exert some control over our "Beasts".
                            Come home and join us!
                            It doesn't sound like you are doing awful.
                            Think how bad it would have been BEFORE you became a Modder!!
                            You'll be OK,girl.
                            Just come home and be with us again!
                            ~Kid~
                            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Okay, it's a plan. I come home Monday night. Tuesday I have my biopsy thing. I'll cheat and make that my first AF day...easy to start under general anesthesia! :H Maybe they'll even give me a narcotic! :H Then I'll do a stretch...I'm not good with long term commitments, but I'll join the plan for getting clean and healthy. I recently re-read a journal I kept during 60 days AF...I felt great. I'd like to have that feeling again.
                              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

A beautiful sunny Sunday in the Midwest...

Hi all,
                                It will be another interesting day at the ER, I'm sure...
                                I hope everyone goes out and enjoys the day
                                but if you are here, I'll be peeking in for a visit now and then...

On subject: I'm on day 4 of 20 AF.
                                I'm just doing it as a cleansing, I doubt that I'll EVER give up my microbrews!
                                I sincerely believe that there are now beers out there
                                superior to any time in HISTORY!!:H
                                ~Kid~

Sara: Being unconscious is a GREAT way to kick-start your AF days!
                                Way to think ahead!
                                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                                X