Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 25th May

Hey Gang,
    It's so good to hear from some old friends. Sorry I've been absent for a bit, trying to get my head together and come up with a plan of attack for my moods and my marriage. We've practically got a whole mental health team lined up for us now...A psychiatrist for me and one for my husband, a couples' therapist, and a therapist for me individually. I've decided to go back on Prozac, after being off of it and trying to use supps instead since January. For a while there I thought it would work, but the last few weeks I have really fallen back into a hole, and I'm pulling out all the stops to get out of it. Now I'm taking Prozac, fish oil, b-complex, a multivitamin, and, with my doctor's approval, Tryptophan. There have been some studies that suggest that Tryptophan (or 5htp) enhance the effectiveness of SSRIs. You have to be careful though, because too much Serotonin can be dangerous....

Does anyone know if there is anything potentially harmful about taking amino acids (other than combining them with certain meds)? A nutritionist friend once explained something to me about how they compete with the protein in the food we eat, and that by taking more of one amino acid, you can deplete the brain's supply of others. I know amino acids are very popular, and a big part of the MWO program, so I'm curious about whether anyone else has heard any such warnings.

DeeBee, I'm so sorry you are worrying about your daughter. There's a good book by Dusty Miller, called "Women Who Hurt Themselves" that you might want to look at. It is a scary trend, and so disturbing to think it could be something kids are doing as a pass time. I'm sure it has different meanings for different people...Some more worrisome than others. You're in my prayers. Also, I haven't been around, so I never thanked you for sharing what you did about your marriage, and how long it took for your husband to tell you he loved you. I appreciated your honesty, and it does help to know that even really great marriages have their rough times.

My husband and I are doing a little better, but we have a long way to go. One important development is that he has cut way back on his own drinking. I had a couple of glasses of wine earlier in the week, but have been AF most of the time. I know how much it contributes to my depression, so it seems really self-destructive to drink right now.

It's hard to catch up with everyone when one doesn't post for a bit, so I'll just say, I'm glad you're all here, and I'm sending good wishes and hope to all.
    Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sara
      Good to hear how you are doing. I am glad you are going back on meds and getting all kinds of help. I think it is important for a parent to be in the best shape emotionally they can be. Not that I am a shining example or anything.
      I think I was terribly depressed this past winter. I hope next winter isn't so cold and horrible. I am doing pretty good now, but I am scared about life. Maybe scared of being on my own, even tho I hate to admit it. Maybe that is it.
      Lila

Comment

Hi all,
        Sara, we are all glad to hear from you. You are an important member of this tribe. Sounds like you have a lot in the works to improve how you feel. Yay!

Lila! So glad to see you back. I think you said you are looking to control your alcohol intake a little better than you have been recently. Maybe you need to check in with us weekly or something, for accountability. Just a thought. How are the kiddos?

Moo, your thought about more practice drinking is interesting. Not that I have any plans to try to drink more, it is just an interesting angle on things.

Deebs, I signed up at a dieting web site today. The link is Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program
        It supports anyone trying to lose weight, not any specific diet. I have never thought that much about counting calories. If you fill up on good foods, you won't be hungry and you will lose weight. But this will be a good tool for me to work on my evening munching issue. I started an online journal on that site.

I hope everyone else is well. It's Friday, and this will be an AF weekend. My husband will return home tomorrow. Next week is June!
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam, that is a good idea. I never did Drink Tracker - couldn't figure it out.
          I am glad to be back!

Comment

Lila,
            I think it is pretty difficult to get an honest picture of your drinking without Drink Tracker. I used it when I joined ("I need all the help I can get") but after the first month I guess I got tired of filling out all the 0's. It was a big mistake for me to not use it initially as I tried to learn to drink moderately. I do get tired of filling it in every day, but you can fill your numbers ahead of time, then change them if necessary. That's easier with my mostly zero's, but you could fill out all 2's or something if that is your plan.

Stay in touch!
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Good Morning All,
              Good to start the day with that, "I didn't drink last night!" realization. I love that. It's a sunny day here in the Northeast, and we'll get the kids out today for hiking, fishing and baseball. I feel a glimmer of hope that hasn't been there for a while. It's only day 4 back on Prozac, so I think it's psychosomatic....That, and the powerful effect of not drinking!

Have a great day everyone.
              Sara
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

I am glad to hear that, Sara!

Comment

Thanks, Lila,
                  I know your my kindred spirit in the blues department. It is such a palpable feeling when depression weighs on me, and it's such a relief when I feel it lifting. I'm tentative at first...Wondering, is it really gone? Is it coming back soon?

Lately my mental image has been of healing my brain and building up my depleted serotonin supplies. Every time I think of wanting a drink, I remind myself that alcohol is a depressant, and that it will set me back in my efforts to feel happy and well. I don't know if or when I'll dare to drink again. At the very least I want to feel solidly "undepressed" before I do. Then, I want to never drink enough to bring it on again...And I think/fear that means most days need to be alcohol free, and that I should never have more than one or two in a day.

I really, really miss Kid. I often think of him, wonder how he is, and whether or not we'll ever hear from him again. What a strange community this cyber world is...We can really come to care for people we'll never meet, and they can vanish, as if into thin air. I think of Periwinkle, Zed, Jamms...People I really liked, who, as far as I know don't post anymore.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a cheery one. Hope everyone's well... I am happily curled up on my couch reading "New Moon", like an adolescent, and listening to my boys giggle together upstairs. Life is good. Sara

Comment

well, maybe some of them will be back!! My daughter has all those books, too. I wish I had written them!
                    I am feeling kinda good lately. Winter really really was awful for me, maybe this year will be a bit better.

Comment

Sara,
                      You sound great! I can relate to how much we appreciate our wellness after an illness.

Lila, I'm glad you are good.

We are getting frost tonight - yikes! I just covered my tomatoes, and brought some pots into the garage. But the plants in the ground are too far spread out to protect. I guess it's not too late to re-plant if necessary. My beans and zinnias just sprouted.

Comment

Frost???
                        Oh, by the way, I planted rose bushes in front of my house a few weeks ago, and they seem to be doing fine. I am not much of a gardener, don't know what I am doing - these are not tea roses, you will have to tell me what to do with them in the winter. I love them so much!!!
                        Planting flowers, or vegetables are a great way to feel good. Don't know why, but I think they are.
                        Lila

Comment

Working...
                        X