Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread 15th June

Hi all,
    It has been a dank and dreary indoor day, and I got several projects accomplished indirectly related to our recent home improvements. For example: now that the window treatments are down and inside woodwork needs touch-up, I should also put up some new blinds. I got some Levelor cellular shades for the living and dining room last winter, and now am putting them in the upstairs bedrooms. Not an occasion, an AF weekend for me. We have no living dads nor children, so tomorrow is a non-event for us.

Deebs, did you get that order book all filled up, as hoped?

Cinders, glad to see you visit here. This is a nice cozy supportive group.

Eve, on your other thread you frame the concept of triggers differently than I had thought of it. I had always given this concept more of an emotional bent: anger, fatigue, stress are triggers for many. But you've expanded that to setting, which makes sense. Deebs has always said HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired). Drinking alone is never a good idea for me - one of the many realities I've faced here.

AskForHelp, have you been biking much yet? I have been riding to work, but soon will have time for those longer rides as I transition to my summer schedule.

Judie, how's your nephew(?) Colby settling in?

Take care, all
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hey all, its great to hear how everyone is doing. Im a moderator too, although i probably should try for AF.

Eve, I went to rehab in Dana Point which is real close to where you were.

Anyway just checking in. Hope everyone has a good night.

Comment

Another happy AF saturday night last night. Mr Moo and I had a nice meal at home. He had 2 beers, I took one look at it and thought -I really dont want that, and drank my diet coke! Wow, how things are changing.

On the point of triggers, for some of us, whilst the emotional triggers do also apply ay times, it is a simple matter of habit. Whilst the matter is simple, the breaking is not. Have been doing an AF for three week thing and I am delighted to say that "the beast" has not given me any grief. Just a passing thought, which I have been able to "let go". Really pleased with that. Staying close to here, appears to assist me an awful lot.

I am off now to do lovely fathers Day things with my lovely Dad.

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.
        "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
        but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Soooo, I was just thinking......
          Should we make our thread a monthly thread instead of weekly? We average 4 pages a week and TBH I like to page back to remind myself of everyones news so a monthly thread makes life a bit simplier. What do you all think?

"doing a bit and leaving a bit" I love your Nan's philosophy Moo!!

Hiya Cacky! Welcome to the Mod Life.
          When you feel comfortable enough, please share with us your goals and aspirations on how you'd like to achieve the mod life.

Sun, I did actually get some orders -- the trip was hugely successful if a bit expensive, but oh well, I'll soon make it back.

I have not had control of my triggers lately and I think Eve's perspective has got me thinking. Yes the HALT accronym often comes into play for me but like Moo mentions a lot of the time it's just HABIT. I can go for 6 months where I drink 2 drinks every weekend without going over that and then all of a sudden I have an "occassion" during the week where I have 2 glasses and all of a sudden that is my new habit to have 2 drinks twice a week and so and so on until I am in a position like now where I am not happy with my moderating at all!!

I must say that I feel a lot more happier and confident about my week -- for no real reason LOL.
          We went and stayed with my parents (who live right on the beach) on Sat night. It was a bit of a last minute discussion which turned out to be so much fun. We went fishing at the beach on Sat (caught nothing), watched South Africa play the British and Irish Lions (we just beat them), had a braai and went to the circus. Sunday was spent spoiling my Pops with a late brunch and scones and cream in the afternoon. It was a fantastic weekend!

How is everyone doing this mad Monday??
          Check in peeps!!
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Morning Modders,

Deebs - I think a monthly thread is a good idea for the reason stated. Checking back would be much easier.

Deebs- you sound really chirpy. Good for you girl. I am delighted that you had such a lovely weekend, it really does sound like you had marvellous fun and fitted lots in. I am smiling that you referred to you Dad as Pops...I call mine that sometimes. We had a rainy but lovely fathers day.

Deebs what is a braai?? Sounds like its food related from the context, but I have not heard the word before. Is it a SA thing??

I think the habit thing is a crucial element of it for me. Not drinking becomes as much of a habit as drinking, but boy does it take more effort and thought!!!

Well today I really am living by Nana's philosphy. I have been to the gym but otherwise been mooching. Gonna dye my hair this afternoon and start thinking about packing my suitcase for my break away....

Hope everyone has a lovely monday...love moo

Comment

Morning Moo!!
              My Pops has the BIGGEST tummy ever -- i was teasing him on the weekend because at the circus the clowns were walking around picking on the old men with big tum-tums by poking them in the belly button -- they are damn lucky they didn't do that to my father because it is the valve to his rear-end LOL!!!

A braai is a barbeque.... I think you call it? You know where men stand around a fire, drink and burn the meat.
              Although the word "braai" is definetly a South African thing, I think the behavior is universal.
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I loath packing!!!

Hey Deebs...I had thought it might be a BBQ, but after making an Ass of myself with the ostrich, thought I had better play it safe and ask!!! LOL.

Why is packing so stressful, or is it just me. I love going away, who doesnt? But, for some reason, I always loath packing. Especially in the UK, the weather is so unpredictable that you never really know what to expect and thus need a variety of stuff for that reason. Other than that I think I am just inept at it!!

Anyway, I am off to have a go and see what I can get in my suitcase!

Comment

My thoughts

DeeBee;642380 wrote: Soooo, I was just thinking......
                  I have not had control of my triggers lately... I can go for 6 months where I drink 2 drinks every weekend without going over that and then all of a sudden I have an "occassion" during the week where I have 2 glasses and all of a sudden that is my new habit to have 2 drinks twice a week and so and so on until I am in a position like now where I am not happy with my moderating at all!!
                  DeeBee,
                  I have been thinking the same thing regarding the bad "habit" with drinking. We have been on vacation more in June than home (we're up north on another mini-vacation the past 4days) and my habit has ALWAYS been to drink daily on vacation. So, my modding for the month of June is in the toilet!

I have been thinking that I'm really going to have to change my "habit" of this daily vacation drinking as it's just not good health wise. One of the books I read said that moderate drinking was 14 drinks per week or under whereas the (forget the name) health insitute that studies drinking says that no more than 7 drinks (for women) per week is recommended. When I was discussing this with my hubby and his non problem drinker friend they both thought 7 drinks per week for women was too much! Wow!! Amazing how non problem drinkers think so differently. But still, if I add up my drinks this month it's too much so I am going to have to devise a better moderating plan.

DeeBee, I like the idea of doing the thread monthly as it is easier to respond to others posts when everything is on the same thread. I've thought of doing this with the ch-changes thread as well when I have only a couple responses it seems easier to keep adding on to the same thread rather than starting a brand new one. Sometimes on our weekly I've noticed at the end of the week that something I've posted may get missed
                  or doesn't get responses back as we've started the next week's thread and everyone has shifted over there. So, I'm for once a month.

Also, I think I'm going to keep bumping moo's thread and do a monthly evaluation at the end of every month to see how I've done and talk about that.

Have a good week everyone. We go back home today so I'm finally back home for a couple of weeks so hopefully can get back on track without so much AL.

Hugs,
                  Eve11
                  "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Well now I am not sure where to post, so I a posting here but leaving a note on the new thread...

Morning modders, its a lovely sunny tuesday here, finally some sun! So, I am off for a bit of light shopping today, then the gym later.I quite like this lady of leisure thing, I could get used to it - but no hope sadly, one week will be my lot.

Eve, it seem like a good idea to change the "habit" given the amount of time you spend away in June. If was one week then it may feel different to you, but it seems you have had the enviable task of amost three weeks away from home?? Very nice, but obviously pushing your boundaries past where you are happy with AL. Again, always learning and improving, thats what makes a good modder.

wishing all a happy day....

Comment

Lena and Lila, come on over to this side -- it's all happening here:-)

It sounds like all of us had a fantastic weekend and enjoyed Fathers Day.

Eve, I am so super jealous that you are on holiday AGAIN!! Our school holidays begin this Friday for the next three weeks and although I have no plans to travel and will be working for most of them I know that family will come down to visit and there will be the general "holiday vibe" in the air. I will be a lot more vigilant and aware for the month of July as looking back at my count it doesn't look healthy -- not by my standards which is no more than 7 units a week.

Moo, I was thinking about your post about packing last night and I had to giggle -- you must see me prepare for a trip away -- I can pack for the family in 1 hour flat with my eyes closed. It's not a pretty sight tho! LOL

Well, I don't really have anything exciting to report.... just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone.

I'll catch up with you later (when I'm NOT supposed to be working)!!

Comment

Hey everyone,

Just checking in quickly, don't have a lot of time this morning. I am quite busy with work again.

The meeting with the DA went ok last week. The next thing is the arraingment which is scheduled for July 13.

I have done slightly better with my AL mod the past few days. It seems like I just need a real attitude adjustment about it. I like what everyone has said about it being a habit. I don't want to think that this thing that happened to me has been my "excuse" but maybe it has.

I need to take a day off work and be alone in the mountains for a mental health day (AL free of course). That always seems to put me back in balance. I am going to make that a goal for early July since work generally is a bit lighter at the beginning of the month.

I am feeling needy and think I want to hear your stories of how this program has worked for you through your tough times.

Thanks to all of you,

periwinkle
                        Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

mooderator;643142 wrote: Hiya Lena and Lila

This week instead of starting a new thread, Deebs suggested that we carry on with last weeks and maybe make it a monthly thread, so that it is easier to check back on everyones news and it seemed like a great idea....so thats what we did this week....love Moo
                          Was thinking the same thing.
                          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

I must of missed that. Sorry. I meant to cut and paste my post but lost it. Love you all. Have a great week!

Comment

periwinkle;643469 wrote:
                              I am feeling needy and think I want to hear your stories of how this program has worked for you through your tough times.
                              Peri, my only answer to this is to not drink during hard times. I want to keep AL in my life, but only as a relaxing pleasure with good friends, including my husband.

Deebs, good idea to start fewer threads. I hesitate to post on Sunday afternoons because it won't be read by people not posting until Monday.

Sounds like a lot of us will be on holiday for the next 2-3 weeks, because we USA folks have Independence Day (July 4th) coming up. Many businesses close down that week. I work a school schedule, so I will have three weeks off plus a day, starting this Friday. After that, I will start a 6-week summer job, just part-time.

Eve, you've had your share of holidays!

LenaLeed, glad the MWO support has been helpful to you.
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Peri
                                I am going thru a major stress right now as well (more court, more fear) , so I don't have anything helpful to say. Except that I like how this thread doesn't push. For some reason, that doesn't work for me. I am not doing a lot of this program, except checking in here. I still don't listen to the CDs. Maybe we can motivate each other?
                                I took my kids out to a wonderful wonderful state park last weekend, and it helped so much. Standing by a river with amazing bluffs and rock formations - suddenly the word 'mortgage' had no meaning...
                                I am also reading a book called How God Changes Your Brain, written by 2 neuroscientists, and they have found that prayer or meditation, with or without any religious beliefs really does change your brain, it suppresses the parts of your brain that get panicky or angry, and enhances the part that has compassion, for self and others. They did brain scans. I just started it. It is interesting. It might even motivate me to do something!
                                I am sorry I don't have much good advice or anything for you...
                                You know, I get so afraid that Something Bad will Happen, to myself or my kids, and now here you are, going to court....I hope so much you are well, be sure to tell us when you are going to court so we can all send prayers.
                                Lila
                                PS - monthly thread is fine - what difference does it make, and then there won't be those lonely threads!

Comment

Working...
                                X