Mod Squad Weekly Thread 15th June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, just so that you understand what Tip is on about -- we have 3 major provinces here -- Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg.
    JHB is known as concrete city because really it's quite ugly by our standards and you only live there if you want to earn the big bucks.
    Durbs is beautiful, by the sea -- laid back surfer dudes and dudettes. People who live here have chosen to for the lifestyle and not necessarily the money -- Durbs is a great holiday destination.
    CapeTown is stunning! But this is where the snobs live LOL. It is very expensive and really geared for the international tourist.

And each of us have our own rugby team which we support -- mine is the "Sharks" and I see my friend Tip hasn't mentioned who his is -- he might be a closet Sharks fan?? LOL
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I recieved an e-mail from Kid today --

"I miss the gang.
      I miss the discipline sometimes (the PACTS, DrinkTracker etc),
      but I am doing fairly well with the "Mod Life".
      If I drift too far without my DrinkTracker, the wife lets me know!!"

If anyone wants his e-mail address, let me know otherwise just post a message to him here and I'll included it on my next mail to him.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi, Deebs

I am a Sharks fan. There - I admitted to it. Almost more difficult to admit in Cape Town than admitting that I'm an alkie :-)

Hi to everyone else as well :-)

Tip
        I'll do whatever it takes
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

tiptronic_ct;646108 wrote: Hi, Deebs

I am a Sharks fan. There - I admitted to it. Almost more difficult to admit in Cape Town than admitting that I'm an alkie :-)

Hi to everyone else as well :-)

Tip
          LOL! There don't you feel better now!!:thumbs:

Comment

Deebs
            I am sorry your daughter is going thru that! You have seen Mean Girls, I am sure? Good that she has you to go to when she is down.
            Lila

Comment

Hi everyone!

DeeBee, I feel for your daughter. That can be really hard to deal with.

I had a bit of a binge on Wed. I got up yesterday morning feeling quite down on myself. I went back and read some of my own posts here from when I was in a better place. I decided that it has been mostly my own state of mind. I threw my shoulders back, sat myself up straight and decided that I know what I need to do. I need to take care of me and do the things that worked for me then. I got out my supplements - and took them. I have located my cd's and will begin listening to them this weekend. I know they were very helpful to me in the past. Yesterday was AF for me. Today feels like a new day and a new beginning.

Thank you all for your support.

periwinkle
              Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Lila;646192 wrote: Deebs
                I am sorry your daughter is going thru that! You have seen Mean Girls, I am sure? Good that she has you to go to when she is down.
                Lila
                If I remember correctly, it was you who told me about this last year and I got it for the daughter and I to watch.
                She is taking it in her stride. We saw the therapist this afternoon and she agree's that it's probably the best thing to happen. It will teach her what she doesn't want from a friendship as well and making her reconcille her feelings with WHY she wanted to be friends with this girl in the first place.

Shame, teenagers really do have it tough, don't they.

Comment

periwinkle;646436 wrote: Hi everyone!

DeeBee, I feel for your daughter. That can be really hard to deal with.

I had a bit of a binge on Wed. I got up yesterday morning feeling quite down on myself. I went back and read some of my own posts here from when I was in a better place. I decided that it has been mostly my own state of mind. I threw my shoulders back, sat myself up straight and decided that I know what I need to do. I need to take care of me and do the things that worked for me then. I got out my supplements - and took them. I have located my cd's and will begin listening to them this weekend. I know they were very helpful to me in the past. Yesterday was AF for me. Today feels like a new day and a new beginning.

Thank you all for your support.

periwinkle
                  I am so pleased you came and shared with us.
                  We are here to help you up by the bra-straps girlfriend.
                  :l

Comment

Peri,
                    I am so glad you are doing better. So much of the alcohol control thing is an attitude shift, but that is not always easy to change. It took awhile for me, my eyes slowly opened.

Message for Kid: I miss you! I'm glad your wife is able to help you keep things under control. We all continue to move forward because life just keeps on changing.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Bullying advice

DeeBee;645977 wrote: I know that her nausea is not a "bug" but more a "thug" -- there is a chick at school who has turned on her and made her school life un-pleasant.
                      It made me so mad to hear about your daughter being bullied and I wanted to share
                      some information with you.

Explain to daughter that bullies target a child who has a mature understanding of the need to resolve conflict with dialogue. So, the target of bullying has a mature level of emotional development and a bully has the level of emotional development of a five-year-old - or less. This may help her feel better – the fact that the bully does this because she really does feel beneath your daughter (her target) and that her taunts and criticisms are a projection of her own own weaknesses, shortcomings, wrongdoings and failings.
                      Keep a diary of everything that happens in case things do lead to needing to discuss events with school officials.

Call one of the helplines, eg ChildLine in the UK on freephone 0800 1111 or Safe Schools in the USA, 1-800- 1-8-NO-BULLIES or 1-866-285-5437. These calls are free. If the line is busy, keep trying - they're inundated with calls. You will eventually get through. (Listing the numbers I found online but not sure which number if any would work for South Africa!)

Go to this website for more help: Anti-Bullying Advice and Child Safety

Have a good day with daughter and a good 3 weeks vacation time. I’ll be saying prayers for you.
                      :l
                      Eve11
                      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Wow Eve, thanks for that. I have printed it out for the daughter to read -- it is very much along the lines of what the therapist told her too.
                        The therapist did say to her that she's a lot more mature than other kids her age/grade which is why my daughter doesn't tolerate fools easily but it also makes it deifficult for her to fit in sometimes.

One of the things that were discussed yesterday was my daughter said she wanted a hamster. I'm personally not too keen as her room is tiny and I feel that we should wait until we finish building her new room and also maybe use it as an incentive. Well together the daughter and the therapist weighed up the pro's and cons and then she asked if she could "discuss" it with me LOL she was so convincing and excited that I told her I'd agree to it if she researched the costs etc and discussed it with her Dad when he got home. She was so well organised and had all the figures ready he just smiled and said yes!!!

So this morning we are off to buy a hamster.....

Have a great weekend gang!!

Comment

DeeBee,
                          We are hamster lovers and have one as well. Handle (very) gently the first day as they are very scared and they have a very nasty little bite. But if someone does get bitten you'll survive and it usually only happens the first day as the little hammy is so scared.
                          We actually LOL have a little car and race track and the hammy rolls on the racetrack with her car.
                          There really are so many fun things about them. Caution though - if they get out of the cage they can do bad things to wires, etc. with chewing.
                          We found that our hamsters would always go to the same area when they escaped so it was always easy to find them. Peanut butter on a cracker is a great lure.
                          I could go on and on. Maybe I'll share more in a p.m. Have a FUN day choosing hammy and let me know her/his name!

Now on a recovery note: Went to a friend's grand opening party for her beauty business last night. The beer and wine was flowing. Sipped one and then an hour and a half later we went to have appetizers and 1 drink so it was a very good night in the modding dept.

We have a little place an hour north of us where it's about 10-15 degrees cooler so we tend to do overnights there. My old thinking (of course) would be to bring a bottle of wine. I'm not going to do that tonight. So, no planned drinking at the moment (even if it is Sat. night!) Going to start kicking that one in the butt!!

Probably evening now where you are DeeBee so share about hammy if you have time.
                          Big ((hugs)),
                          Eve11
                          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Sunday afternoons used to be such a waste, drinking my life away. Now I'm getting projects done: today I sanded, primed and finish coated 4 flat picture frames, hung cellular blinds on two more windows, primed the new handrail by our back door, touched up the back door from ding's from last year's home improvement project, pulled some weeds in the garden. Ah, the sweet satisfacton of accomplishments. I'm reading a great book called Spark, telling how exercise improves the functions of the brain: increases test scores in high school students, relieves depression, reduces symptoms of ADHD, reduces impact of dementia in older folks.

I have mentioned getting a hamster or guinea pig, but my husband is thinking more seriously about a new dog. Maybe in the fall.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Checking IN

Hi all;
                              Thought I'd check in and say hello to all. .. DeeBee, Moo, Lila, Sun Lena, Eve, Judie, Peri, Sarasmiles (I know you're here), Tip... any others I've missed....

I've been kind of "missing in action" but just haven't had the oomph to post.. it's been a long June with family issues (teen daughter acting out, sister's cancer recurring, parent's health issues) that have kind of piled up and gotten too overwhelming to explain here. But thought I'd at least poke in and say that I am thinking of you guys and I try to read once in a while, and I am still doing OK . . not modding as well as I'd like but am keeping to mod amounts/day and a few AF days/ each week.

My ex is taking the week off to spend with my teen daughter so I have a week reprieve ;
                              this weekend the three of us (ex, teen and I) were at a family wedding, so it was a break from the intensity of Mom/teen struggles and fun to see folks we've not seen in years.

And if the friggin RAIN would ever stop, the general depressive psyche of our city might lift too!

Hope this week finds everyone well!

Ask

Comment

hi Ask,
                                I know what you mean about being too overwhelmed to post. Nice to hear from you, and I hope you get thru this and things get normal again. I hope your sister is going to be okay??
                                Lila

Comment

Working...
                                X