Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hi all,
    Ask, good for you to put your foot down! You too Eve. I successfully had just one glass with a meal in a restaurant yesterday. I thought about another, but the lunch wasn't that big, and my food was nearly gone at the end of my first glass. We had been walking around outside shopping and I was thirsty, so I kept drinking water instead of wine. Then it crossed my mind to have another at home, but I decided against it. Good for me! I'm having some friends over this week Thurs for a late summer celebration. We will share wine, and I really don't like to drink twice in a week, so I am very happy about stopping at one glass.

Last summer, I invited this same group over, but it turned out that most of them couldn't make it. I had already purchased some wine in big bottles - drinkable but my husband won't touch anything out of a big bottle. He was away at his mom's for a few days, I was not working that week, and I drank it all, over the course of a few days! Boy, that's never going to happen again. Now I serve my friends only wine that he will drink. When they go home, the rest goes back in the basement, where I won't touch it.

So Vlad, this story is something like what happened to you: we set ourselves unintentional traps. Just move forward, learn from the experience.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Keep working on Goals

Vlad; I'm with you tonight AF. Might be having folks over for dinner party in the next few nights so can't promise I'll do all 3 days AF with you, but will do at least 2 our of the next 3 for sure.

Eve: I hear the same resolve in your posts that I feel - although I think you do so well. Vacations are tough as that is "fun time". But so is "stressful time" tough. I am finding too many reasons for having a drink to relax: I'm upset, I'm happy, I'm looking forward to reading a book, I can't wait to chill out ...

Sun: good job thinking ahead to this Thursday so holding it at one yesterday. We all have our personal goals for what feels right, and feel better when we stick to them. Good observation too about last year vs. this year wine purchasing... if we can learn from our missteps we can succeed.

Here's to a GREAT August for all.

Ask

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Stuck with my goal to be AF last night, didn't sleep well though and feel a little groggy and sick this morning.

Have an interview for a new job today at 10.00am - wish me luck! And here's to today AF as well.
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hey Vlad: Good luck with job interview. What kind of work is it?
          I had a hard time falling asleep last night too. Almost like I was too excited. Feel OK today though.

Let us know how it went.

Good job AF yesterday!

Ask

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Vlad-Best of wishes with the interview~Thanks for the resource tip about the "do you drink too much question". Have a site I'd like to share that had wonderful info (esp. for women). Go to: Do You Drink Too Much? | Lifescript.com

I came across an old words of wisdom saying: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I have decided to stop the insanity and feel that my health is more important than making the choice to drink too much. Please read the article - has such good information regarding how drinking too much can really affect our health - increased risk for many cancers, etc.

Vlad, I will pact with you to be AF today. Stay strong...choose health!!

Hugs my friends and lurkers,
            :l
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Thanks for that article Eve, I even posted a comment.

Parents came round today to see the conservatory. They'd just come back from their holiday in Crete and brought some plants and some presents for me and hubby. After they left, I picked up the presents to tidy up, now I hadn't opened my husband's gift, but as I did I heard this delicate 'GLOP!'. I thought, 'Oh no, it's booze...' I sat there shaking the box and then listening, 'Yep, it's liquor.' Well, maybe it's not - you wouldn't think it to look at it, I initially just thought it was a box of biscuits. You never know, it could be just some strange Cretian aftershave or something so I'll imagine it's that.
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

I would love to join you all here if I may. You all are an inspiration. I just love Sunbeams signature of "I drink on occasion - every weekend is not an occasion" and would really like that to be my goal, with a drink only occasionally.
                I've been doing better this summer re: no more than 7 per week, no more than 3 on any occasion. For June met that 2/4 weeks. At the end of June I started taking baclofen. For July I met the no more than 7 for 3/5 weeks but went over 3 on 5 days (on vacation, lots of dinners with friends). However total consumption was down over June. Had 3 periods of 5 day AF stretches.
                So far for August I have been AF except for 1 glass of wine at a special dinner on Friday. My goal is to be AF for the rest of the month. I'm still on a very low dose of baclofen and would like to not go to a higher amount if I don't need to. Right now it does not seem like I do and eventually would like to do this with no meds but right now feel more secure with a little help from a pill.
                I start back to work Wed. (teach so summer off) and I must not slide back into old habits as I slowly did after working hard to get thing under control the last 2 summers!
                I look forward to getting to know you all.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Welcome Louise - sounds like you're doing great. Tonight's another AF night for me, off to try my new milk thistle tea.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Vlad, any clue how the job interview went? Most of the time I think it's hard to tell.

Louise,
                    Welcome! More people in our group means more posts, more thoughts on how to support each other. I am delighted to hear you are of the "less is better" thinking. My story, if you are interested, is pretty near the top of the Tell Us Your Story threads, title of My Own Path. I also work in a school system, though I'm not a teacher. I work part-time in the summer. Last summer I did not keep good control of my drinking, so I really worked on cutting back to my current limits in Sept/Oct. It is interesting that you feel is is harder to control your intake during the school year. I have more difficulty with the unstructured time, though I am very happy with how this summer has gone.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Hope the tea was good Vlad! Sunbeam, I think I do better in the summer because I can focus on exercise, plan better meals and am much less stressed. I have never drunk during the day, even on weekends or vacation, so time off during the day does not increase temptation. I think so much of my drinking is thinking I need a reward or something to help me relax after a hard day. So that will be my challenge as I start back to work,is to remember that it is not a reward or something I need, it is something to have only on occasion, at an occasion.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

louise;689526 wrote: I just love Sunbeams signature of "I drink on occasion - every weekend is not an occasion" and would really like that to be my goal, with a drink only occasionally.
                        Louise,
                        Welcome!! We are always glad to have new friends join our wonderful Mod Squad. Keep coming back!!

I love Sunbeam's signature as well as I think the thought reflects true moderation. Just a drink on occasion only. Not a drink every night after work to relax, every day on vacation (my struggle and there are too many vacations in my life that make it more difficult), not after a stressful day, etc.).

It's sounds as if you have been moderating pretty well Louise. The NIAAA standards say no more than 7 drinks per week for women and that is still considered moderate drinking!!

Folks I added an addendum after new research to my "Is alcohol a poison thread?" so please read for your benefit - no need to comment if you're not inclined but give it a read.

Have a good week everyone!
                        :l
                        Eve11
                        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

The tea was quite nice actually Louise. Day 3 of my 3 day minimum abstainance.

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Life is crazy at the moment -- a good crazy but still crazy.

Just wanted to quickly pop in to say HI and find out how Moo is -- has anyone heard from her? And Vladster's interview -- how did it go??

I chose to drank on Saturday night -- So there goes my AF August but I'm still super chuffed with what I've accomplished so far so not all is lost.

I'll check back in when the builders bugger off:-)
                            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

And a warm welcome to Louise -- another modder YAY!!!
                              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad August Thread!

Evening Squad. Interview went OK, though I wasn't that enthralled with the job, it didn't sound as exciting as it appeared in the advert at all, so even if I am successful I might refuse it.

Comment

Working...
                                X