Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad September Thread

Hi Gang,
    I'm feeling great on day 3 AF here...I'm taking Sunbeam's advice and posting at AF daily for while I'm doing my 30 days. I'll stay in touch with you guys, though. Take care. Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hi Sara,
      I just read your post on the Abs thread and I'm rooting for you all the way!!
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thanks DeeBee! That makes me feel so good!
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Morning Modders!
          How is everyone doing today??
          I hope you have a cup of coffee or tea ready as this could be a long one LOL!

I need to start PLANNING my weekends better. I've been kinda coasting along, going with the flow and I haven't really voiced my mod goals/concerns to hubby which has resulted in the weekends being filled with rugby, booze, more rugby and more booze. I'm tired of it!! It's self destructive and I'm aware of what a slippery slope I'm on.
          So, this weekend, I intend to tell Mr DB that we'll be staying at home to watch the rugby. Just to put you in the picture -- this weekends game is the last of the TriNations and it's between SA and NZ which is just HUGE. Kick off is at 9:30am so in previous years we'd go to our local pub and have a champagne breakfast which would then carry onto a wine and lunch and drinking would continue until someone fell down. Not pretty.
          I'm going to put a bit of effort into making a fun filled breakfast for just the three of us, we can watch the rugger (with a cup of coffee) and then carry on building the deck.
          There, I feel better already just knowing that I have a plan!

Sara, I can understand how you might not be in the mood to post on the mod threads whilst focusing on your 30 days but we are all rooting for you and I'll be following your progress on with the Abs crew.... you go girl!!

KTAB, sending clear skies and a ray of sunshine to brighten up your day today.

Vladster, check in please!!

Sun, I was just reading your advice about only commiting to two weeks at a time and I think that it's a great suggestion -- one I'm going to take on board. As you all know I too wanted to have an AF August and it literally fell apart at the first hurdle I came across and then because I had the mind set of "oh well that's August messed up then" I didn't re-commit to any more AF time. Stinkin thinkin I know.

Oh, I just caught up on your news that you've filled in the papers for a new dog -- I am so happy for you Sun. Do you know yet what you are going to get?

Eve, I can't wait for you to get some time to post and let us know what you've been up to -- lots to discuss? Now that has me all excitied to see what our topic will be.

Hi Maisie.
          My craving hits in at work at 4:00. Driving home about 5:30
          This also used to be my "suicide hour". Once I had got past 6pm it was easy to get through the rest of the evening AF. It's a great idea to break that habit and create a new one by doing something (anything) to delay pouring that first drink. Like Louise mentioned, eating a snack at that time has also helped me get through the initial craving.
          Often it's actually the snack that I was needing and not the wine. Using the HALT accronym is a great tool when confronted with stinkin thinkin:-)

Beth, how are YOU?
          I just loved reading your post about how something just "clicked" for you. Exciting times are ahead.
          (I must find myself one of those STOP signs!)

DG, I do the same as J-Vo and make notes as I go. My daughter spotted them the one day and thought I'd lost the plot writing to all these wierd and wonderful names LOL.

Moo, how are you and Mr Moo holding up?
          Did you enjoy your week off from work? How was the wedding?

J-Vo, how are you doing on the Bac partner? I was starting to feel a bit dejected TBH and then read an inspiring post by Cowgal which has got me all revved up and positive again. I can't go over 60mg's until I order a back up batch online.

Louise, I used to often brush my teeth to stop myself pouring that first glass -- I find it near impossible to drink wine after brushing my teeth as it just tastes disgusting doesn't it.

Well now I'm late for work LOL so must dash.

Just wanted to shout out to those that haven't posted in a while -- Vlad, Judie, Ask to name a few -- please check in!!

I'll catch you all later:-)
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

huh?
            half my post dissapeared?

Anyway I just wanted to should out to those that haven't posted in a while -- Vlad, Judie, Ask to name a few -- please check in later.

Right, now I'm really late for work so I'll catch up with you all later.

Comment

WOW DeeBee - this "reply to everyone" post wins the prize!

With abject and humble apologies, I'm not sure I have the attention span to take notes. But I do read everyone's posts and feel sympathy, love, laughter, and friendship for you all.

Still fine with the modding - a couple of weeks were over the recommened 7/week, but I'm still way under where I was and not feeling out of control.

I, too have been wondering about missing friends here. Vlad, where are you? Hope you're okay. Also 42Cat, although she wasn't on the ModSquad (I don't think) hasn't been around for a while.

7:15am now, time to get dressed and get on with the day.

Love to all,
              Dancer

Comment

Sara I am following you on the Abs thread as well. I often read their inspirational posts. Out of respect for their struggles I rarely post there as many on the abs thread are sensitive to talk of moderation. But I do read and congratulations to you for your determination.

Sunbeam I also wanted to send my warm wishes to you on your new canine companion. I know many of us on these boards are real animal lovers so we know what a commitment it is to take on a new pet.

KTAB I'm glad to get to know you a little better here on the mods board. We're a small group and it is nice to meet new people. Same to DancingGirl and Maisie.

Also looking forward to hearing more from DeeBee, Eve, J-Vo, Louise, Moo, Mad Mummy, and all our missing friends. Sorry if I missed anyone.

I am following My Own Way Out this time, I'm working the program a bit backward it seems but having been a bit backward all my life it seems to work for me. The first time I was AF for 65 days then moderated very successfully (I thought anyway) for another three months. Then I fell back into the habit of drinking every day. I've said before I'm not a drink till I'm drunk kind of person but I do like a couple (or three) cocktails a night. Frankly at my age I just can't drink like that anymore, it is a strain on my liver, so as I said in an earlier post I started exercising and taking supplements and working on my train of thought, recognizing my triggers and cravings and started to work naturally on moderating my alcohol intake. I'm still not where I want to be yet but I do know that THIS time around my relationship with alcohol is much different than it has been ever before. Also this time I want to do it without pharmaceutical help, although there is nothing wrong with that I see it as a great Boon to many people.

Anyhow, hope everyone is getting a good jump on the weekend. Tomorrow is my half Friday my Production Manager and I trade every other week to have a half day. The two older grandkids are coming when they get off school at half past one and we are going to clean out my back room and make it into a craft room for the winter months. Be good everyone! xo Beth
                vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

I was just digging in the MWO archives (can't remember what got me started) and I came across this thread which I thought you might be interested in Beth -- all about healthy endorphins:-)

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...back-9838.html

Comment

Thanks DeeBee, I just commented and bumped it up, very valuable information!
                    vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Hey Modders,
                      Thanks for the support and kindness. I'm hanging in there at day 4 AF, and felt better today than I have in a while. I think about drinking a couple of times a day, and especially at around 5:00, and each of the last few days it has been a bit of a struggle to resist. Recognizing that helps me to remember that although with a lot of effort I can often drink moderately, I do not have a "normal" or "non-problematic" relationship with alcohol. I just want it a little too much!

I'm not sure what my long term goal is at this point, I'm just trying to get through each day and see how it feels to go longer without it.

You guys are sounding good...Cyclefan, you sound like you're thinking clearly and going strong.

Sunbeam, congrats on the dog! I've grown so attached to ours, since adopting her in January. She gets me out for wonderful walks, and cuddles up next to me in bed, and greets me so happily when I come home, acting as though I mean the world to her. I truly believe she is a great antidepressant.

Well, take care everyone...Be strong and well. Sara

Comment

Morning Squad!!

I am so pleased today is Friday. My week days are torn between working and supervising the painters etc at home and come Friday I am exhausted! Our factory closes at lunchtime on fridays so like Beth I have just that much extra time on weekends and I really do appreciate it. My last job was in retail and I worked silly hours Mon to Sun 8am to 10pm (!). No wonder I drank!

Today the sun has decided to peek out a bit so I'll plant my lavender seedlings, aubergine plants, and new roma tomato seedlings which I have been nurturing. I get quite excited at this time of the year (spring) when everything starts growing again.

The painters should be finished painting the two new rooms we built, one for us and one for the daughter. The electrician should be here any time now to connect the down-lights in both room and then the carpet people will be here this afternoon to lay the carpets. If all goes according to plan we'll be able to move into our new bedrooms this weekend -- I'm super excited!!

KTAB, I hope you and Mario have a lovely time together -- please keep us updated:-)

Sara, I wanted to ask you how are you getting past that craving at 5:00pm? What tools are you using? I only ask because it's also a problem for me.

Beth, I spent a good part of 2 hours yesterday reading old threads. I stumbled across the original MWO website a while back and remembered that I wanted to go back and read it but for the life of me can't find it again -- the web address is slightly different. If you google "my way out" it's really interesting to read how well respected the book MWO, as well as the site and RJ are held in the publics eyes -- not only ours. I even came across an article which awarded MWO as one of the best self help websites by google!

I was also reading a thread posted by some of the older members when they saw each other in chat via webcams -- now that would be really cool. Imagine if the Mod Squad could meet once a month via webcam and all have a fat chat!!

Well my weekend plans are in place, I feel confident that I'll meet my goals.

Happy Friday to all to come:-)

Comment

Hey Everybody,
                          I'm back to work full-time this week, so I have less time to post here. I still check in every day, am eager to know how you all are doing. Got my first paycheck, that's always nice. The checks over the summer for my part-time work are much smaller.

We don't have a new dog yet, but we are definitely working on it. We will visit a dog tomorrow in our local pound. We have also submitted an application for a dog rescue organization.

Deebs, how exciting about your new addition being nearly done, and move-in time at hand. It will also be great to have your space back instead of having thos workers all around.
                          Deebs, have you looked through the toolbox lately under monthly abstinence? There are so many good ideas there. Also, you have said a few times that you plan to start using Drink Tracker, so maybe today is the day? It sounds like you are still struggling for more AF time.

Beth, it also took me awhile to figure my own way out. It is easier to make a moderation plan than it is to make one work.

Sarasmiles, so far so good for you! I am hearing a stronger committment from you.

DancingGirl, DeeBee is the QUEEN of taking care of all of us.

Take care, all.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I decided to moderate, and it has been going ok (no where near to past consumption), but not precisely according to plan. However, I had some AL the last three days in a row and do not want to get back to the daily pattern. I want to go the next 6 days AF, anyone willing to join me for check ins and support? (The pact on the 7.5 day thread really helped the last time around.)

Comment

Maisie,
                              Yes, I would like to join you. I want this weekend to continue to be AF. Drinking during the work week is off the table for me, so I might not post some of those days, too many other things I gotta do!
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Checking In

Hi all:

Long time no see. I have missed you all and have just had a long read to catch up on everyone. Hello to those I've not yet met (KTAB, Maisie, any others) My apologies for being away so long, but I only have 1 computer that I can access MWO on and have been working very long hours. . . BUT the good news all is well here so no news has been good news.

You all sound so well! I can't comment on everyone but a few thoughts jumped to mind as I read through all of your news;

Sun: great news about a new dog: I recall how sorely you felt the loss of your beloved dog, so opening your heart again is lovely.
                                KTAB: welcome to mods and feel free to jump in with struggles and successes. This mod road is harder than AF in many ways and strategies for those things that trip you up are only shared if someone thinks to ask.
                                DeeBee: It seems like only yesterday you were starting your project and now its DONE? Bet is doesn't seem so fast to you, huh? Congrats. Hope all is well with your teen. My daughter has had a marvelous summer and a great start back to school so I am in the clouds with joy and hope.
                                Sara: If there is anything I can do to support you let me know: just a phone call or a cup of coffee away!! Proud of you girl.
                                and to all the others honestly sharing your life, successes and struggles here: YOU are what makes us all successful. You are why I come back and back.

I will try to stay in touch but am not going to be able to post many days because I am taking on new responsibilities at work. I am somewhat ambivalent about this, since I love my job as it is; but the changes are exciting and offer me more future security.

So thanks for listening and being here. Love you all!! Be good this week!
                                Ask

Comment

Working...
                                X