Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad October Thread

It's a good Monday in Kansas

Freebird, SunBeam and Cyclefan, thank you for the welcome into the group. At your suggestion I am now on drink tracker and will update regularly. I plan on going below nine this week. Last night was a good start, we had three friends here from Arizona and Washington. They are cycling Katy biking trail this week and stayed with us lover night. It was a great evening talking, eating and getting to know each other better. One friend had a beer, one half a glass of wine and other three of us no drinks. I am so used to drinking in that type of social occasion and I enjoyed not having any. I need to be self assured that I can enjoy myself without drinking. For me the many of benefits of not drinking are worth the self discipline. At this point I get out of my comfort zone by not drinking which I want to change.

Enjoy your day and thanks for writing

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

Agree!

I agree with what you said there MG...being sure you can still have fun without the booze is part of the process I found. I make a point of doing certaint situation without AL to challenge myself. I also find drinktracker very good....its just so positive putting a zero in the box and being publically accountable when you do drink helps to keep one on the straigt and narrow...

So...:welcome:
      To everyone else....a BIG HELLO.

Had another really good mod weekend...only drank on saturday this week, only had three glasses of wine, left wine in the bottle on the table went to bed and chucked the rest in the morning..RESULT....no headaches, no muss no fuss....GREAT!
      "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
      but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

mooderator;734711 wrote: I agree with what you said there MG...being sure you can still have fun without the booze is part of the process I found. I make a point of doing certaint situation without AL to challenge myself. I also find drinktracker very good....its just so positive putting a zero in the box and being publically accountable when you do drink helps to keep one on the straigt and narrow...

So...:welcome:
        To everyone else....a BIG HELLO.

Had another really good mod weekend...only drank on saturday this week, only had three glasses of wine, left wine in the bottle on the table went to bed and chucked the rest in the morning..RESULT....no headaches, no muss no fuss....GREAT!
        Hi Moo. Sounds like everyone is on the right path , i'm having a hard time logging into "drinktracker" it keeps telling me I'm using the wrong username. any suggestions?
        Non Drinker 9/09
        Non Smoker 6/09
        Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

Emmy - I am sorry to say I cant think of any reason why this would happen. I have not experienced any problems getting in to DT and cant recall anyone else saying so either. Try asking a moderator?? Post a question in general discussion where everyone on the site will have a chance to comment and you will have a wider response, otherwise you got me.

Nice to have you with us by the way...Love Moo

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

Emmy,
            I initially had intermittent trouble logging in to Drink Tracker. It seemed to work better when the site isn't as busy. I haven't had problems in a long time. I would post a question under General Discussion. There is a persona called CodeMonkey that fixes site glitches, but I'm not sure how to contact them.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

I'm thinking maybe you need to be a "subscriber" to be on drinktracker??
              Sunbeam;734809 wrote: Emmy,
              I initially had intermittent trouble logging in to Drink Tracker. It seemed to work better when the site isn't as busy. I haven't had problems in a long time. I would post a question under General Discussion. There is a persona called CodeMonkey that fixes site glitches, but I'm not sure how to contact them.
              Non Drinker 9/09
              Non Smoker 6/09
              Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

No, you don't need to be a subscriber. I'm not, and haven't been in the past.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

nancy;733717 wrote:

People actually are together in their suffering over being alone.
                  Nancy - How profound and how true. I remember sitting in a therapy group once and everyone felt like they were on the outside looking in - in that particular group. We all shared one night and that common denominator came out.

I loved the book "The four Agreements" and one of the agreements is not to take things too personal. I agree with the logic - I just have a hard time doing it sometimes. I was so beat down in the self esteem category as a child and had a horrible role model for a father. I've worked hard to try to get over that and have forgiven him but the one thing that comes back to haunt me is always that belief of I'm not good enough.

If I don't hear from a friend in a long time I start to worry that they don't like me anymore for some reason. It's foolish thinking because I don't gossip about my friends so there's nothing that could have happened to have changed the relationship. And thank goodness I'm not drinking (where I would tell people off) or having black outs (where I may have told them off and didn't remember!) Yikes!! But I fret and worry only to discover they've been too busy like so many people are and it was never about me.

Meditation is a good idea. And as our new member mg72 shared (:welcome: mg72) giving to others is the best remedy for lonliness. Yes, volunteer, help others, get busy thinking of how to help somebody.

I'm back on track in the drinking category. Each week Adam12 and I become more and more aware (as we're paying such strict attention) of how AL affects us. We each had 2 drinks Sat. night and there was no hopping out of bed Sunday going "Let's go!!" We are always so demotivated with just 2 drinks. He is thinking of Sat. and vacations only to have a drink. I'm still hung up on Fri/Sat but at least I only had one on Friday.

I'm reading the book "Dry" and I really like it. Am half way through and the author has really shared some insightful things. I recommend it. Remember, public libraries carry it if you don't have the $ to purchase.

Well, good-night all and hello to everyone who has posted here. Keep coming back!
                  Hugs,
                  Eve11
                  "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

another good day in kansas

Good morning all,
                    Once again thanks for the support from you. Mooderator, I like your attitude to challenge ourselves to not drink in social occasions where we would have in the past. Eve11, helping others by volunteering is rewardiing as is the interaction with others doing so. I find both benefits when I help with non profit organizations. I have good relationships with employees and other volunteers. Emmy, as long as I use my proper name and password drink tracker allows me to enter.

I just posted my third zero in a row on drink tracker. It is the first time in a very long time that I have gone three days without a drink. I feel alert, positive, my emotions under control, high energy level and communicative. I so want to continue this!!!

Have a great day

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

Hello all,

Well I've spent a good hour typing our a really long post only to loose it when the electrician "accidentally" pulled the plug on me.
                      So, here's the brief version.

I spent the weekend with my brother, getting to know him again. It's strange because he hasn't changed a bit in the 7 years he's been away but we didn't really have anything in common because of us not communicating. Well we did do lots of talking, laughing and reminiscing. It was great fun but also an eye opener as to just how much my brother is drinking. He managed to get through a whole bottle (750ml) of Vodka and a 6 pack in one sitting. What absolutely blew me away was he didn't slur his words nor stumbled about the place drunk!! Does that mean he's used to drinking those sort of quantities!!??
                      He is talking about staying here now and not going back to the UK so if that does happen I'd like to speak to him about it.

WELCOME MG!
                      Congrats on notching up those AF day's -- feels good doesn't it:-)

I am getting goofed on the paint fumes so must dash -- hope everyone is well and meeting thier mod goals:-)
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

Where are all the modders? Its gone quiet here guys and gals....

I have to admit I too dont have much to report. All is ok in the world of AL. There was a very interesting program on here in the UK about alcohol last night, did anyone see it? All about people's relationship with it, and the reasons why they might be like that! I was able to identify with some of it.

Hope all is well with everyone...love MOo

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

Hi Moo and everyone,
                          I'm here.... don't have much to say.
                          Tomorrow will be a better day.
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd better check in so you didn't think I was checked out. I don't have much words of wisdom this a.m. either, but I have been feeling rather blah lately and three cups of java this morning is not getting the job done.

My modding is going okay (no hangovers and good numbers), but not at the point I was aiming for, which is NONE during the week and very little on the weekends. Today is a new day and I hope I can get some time outdoors today, as that always seems to lift my spirits and mood. It's getting cold though and I need to really get my arms around winter coming and staying committed to activities outside.

Have a good to wonderful day.....sending good vibes to everyone.

Free

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

Hi Everybody,
                              The dog still pesters me sometimes when I sit down at the computer, but she does learn to be a better dog every day. It is amazing what she has learned in just 3 weeks. She is SO smart and beautiful. We bought an invisible fence kit, but I returned it today after we decided that we couldn't configure it to our property to satisfy us. Instead I bought a training collar, which gives either positive or negative reinforcement. I will buy boundary marking flags, and just train her to stay inside them. I also ordered a clicker and a book on clicker training. She has the intelligence, we just need to give her the training to become an outstanding dog.

MG72,
                              Have you considered going at least 30 days AF? It isn't a requirement, but I believe most of us have done that. It is a great way to put your life back into perspective, and learn you can live without alcohol.

Eve, I'm thinking that you are very self-assured on the outside, and then with all that turmoil inside. That makes it harder to get the support you need, because you always sound and look so great to everyone.

My life is great! The weather is quite chilly for this time of year, but it is predicted to warm up a bit next week. Then I will need to get those fall bulbs into the ground, for an even better display in the spring.

Comment

Mod Squad October Thread

Hi all

Just wanted to make sure my comments about being alone as suffering together come straight from Buddhism.

To eve: I can't tell you how much I relate to what you wrote in your last post. I can't tell you how much of my life has been all tied up with worrying about what people think of me only to find out later everything is fine. Meditation can help because you get used to realizing that thoughts do not equal reality. Far from it. Also, you can look at this as a habit. Most of all, you need to learn how to be kind to yourself and forgive yourself and take it easy. Feel guilty about that? Just pass the same forgiving attitude on to everyone else. That's what I try to do. This is really so important for psych/addiction. I am only just starting to be able to do this and to Sunbeam, no it hasn't done the trick yet, though my issues are not really that bad. I am on a very slow road to change but I am very optimistic.

The other thing about taking things personally, this is a cognitive distortion in cognitive behavior therapy. The feeling can be very intense and seem real but it is not real.

Good luck to all of you who like Eve and me, suffer from a lot of negative voices inside that make it hard to bear to be alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X