• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you moderate?

Might meet a need

Kuya,

It does sound to me as if your suggestion might meet a very real need. FFP
    . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Can you moderate?

FarfallaP;1401105 wrote: Kuya,

It does sound to me as if your suggestion might meet a very real need. FFP
      The fact that it existed before is an indication it was needed. The fact that the site is marketed on having moderation means we MUST have an area for newbies where drinking, albeit in lessor amounts, is acceptable, and the fact that the majority will NOT be able to moderate long term means the abstaining thread of NN remains, as is,without this warring.

I know that I, for one, can only abstain and can really only advise on that path.

People like Byrdie, Lola K9 and LAV are exhausted and depressed by this ongoing war between the camps.

We need it resolved and it needs to be resolved NOW

Comment

Can you moderate?

But may I suggest if a newbie inadvertently was directed to newbies nest and spoke of moderating, that they would be gently and In a nonbiased way directed to the other thread?
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
        A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Can you moderate?

Alcoholic;1401143 wrote: But may I suggest if a newbie inadvertently was directed to newbies nest and spoke of moldering, that they would be gently and In a nonbiased way directed to the other thread?
          If another thread like ODAT existed in the starting out thread that would be feasible.

What is overlooked is that many come in a terrible state REALLY wanting to abstain but struggling after a few days.

People helping on that site CAN'T tell them....... Oh you have failed after 3 or 4 days, GET THEE TO THE MODERATORS AND NEVER SHOW YOUR FACE HERE AGAIN!

Of course we know it can take many, many,many days 1,2, or 3. We must have clarity and the nest should be a place to have a good go at longer periods AF and ODAT for tapering.

Some have quoted Renewal, who started NN back in 2008, as saying it was for everyone, moderating and abstaining.
          I have gone back and read many of Renewal's posts and threads. It was a different time, the site was new, and NN was a thread for mates to hang out. It has BECOME the place that ALL newbies are pointed to. Times have changed, the site has to keep up because these fights are killing it.

Comment

Can you moderate?

kuya;1401121 wrote:

The fact that the site is marketed on having moderation means we MUST have an area for newbies where drinking, albeit in lessor amounts, is acceptable, and the fact that the majority will NOT be able to moderate long term means the abstaining thread of NN remains, as is,without this warring.

People are exhausted and depressed by this ongoing war between the camps.

We need it resolved and it needs to be resolved NOW
            kuya,

I think revising the ODAT thread in that area is an excellent idea as newbies who are struggling with really wanting that drink again really shouldn't be led to the moderation site which is designed for people who are alcohol abusers and not dependent on alcohol.

The big change I would like to see through all of this conflict, is that AFers do not come over to the moderation site just because we have a new post and create trouble over here. Honestly, I have been here posting for five years and was never aware of the new post area. When I checked it out, on the far right it does state what section it is in so it clearly stated the moderation section. A particular member (AFer) came over and blasted me and part of the fact was that it was listed as a new post. Well, I can't help that. All new posts are listed as new posts! God bless her for the hard work she does where she generally camps because AFers say she is so helpful. And I know she was only trying to look out for fragile people, but with all due respect, these fragile people have joined a site for alcoholics and alcohol abusers, people who NEED to abstain and people who choose to moderate. If people can't handle moderators having their own site over here then they should join a site that offers abstinence only like Sober Recovery or SMART Recovery where moderating is not allowed. Respecting each other's spaces will decrease a lot of the controversy.

This post today has clearly answered an internal debate I have been having that you kuya and someone else have been pm'd about. I think the answer is pull up the ODAT in that area. Perfect solution.

Peace and forgiveness to all...hope the same applies to me!
            :l
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Can you moderate?

Well said, Eve,

It was Jackie Claire that made me aware of that thread. I thought at the time a newly named thread might be more inclusive, but if the moderator group are happy that such a thread will serve to foster acceptance that moderation is an option and also accept that AFers can only advise on what we know...... Then I hope that peace can return.

Comment

Can you moderate?

Just a point of interest...I never even considered going to the ODAT thread because, since that phrase was connected (in my own mind) to Alcoholics Anonymous, I therefore assumed it was specifically a thread for members of AA!
                Since Kuya mentioned it, I have perused it a few times, and now am aware that it IS open to everyone. FFP
                . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Can you moderate?

Oops...maybe it is One Step at a Time? Am going to investigate...FFP

Comment

Can you moderate?

kuya;1401215 wrote: Well said, Eve,

It was Jackie Claire that made me aware of that thread. I thought at the time a newly named thread might be more inclusive, but if the moderator group are happy that such a thread will serve to foster acceptance that moderation is an option and also accept that AFers can only advise on what we know...... Then I hope that peace can return.
                    Heard me name mentioned there. Shall we start it tomorrow.

FarfallaP;1401222 wrote:
                    Just a point of interest...I never even considered going to the ODAT thread because, since that phrase was connected (in my own mind) to Alcoholics Anonymous, I therefore assumed it was specifically a thread for members of AA!
                    Since Kuya mentioned it, I have perused it a few times, and now am aware that it IS open to everyone. FFP
                    So did I FF. I go to Slimming World and would you believe it's used there as well. First time I heard it I had to make sure I was in the right meeting. Not drinking though saves masses of syns.
                    It could be worse, I could be filing.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Can you moderate?

JackieClaire;1401226 wrote: Heard me name mentioned there. Shall we start it tomorrow.
                      How about today? Good to hear from you JC!! :thanks:
                      Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Can you moderate?

JackieClaire;1401226 wrote: Heard me name mentioned there. Shall we start it tomorrow.
                        How about today? Good to hear from you JC!! :thanks:
                        Eve11

Comment

Can you moderate?

[QUOTE=JackieClaire;1401226]Heard me name mentioned there. Shall we start it tomorrow.

Hi Jackie, thought you would never ask! LOL

Please do. :l

Comment

Can you moderate?

Eve, yes,,,, today,,, who's going to start it?
                            Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                            A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Can you moderate?

Alcoholic;1401320 wrote: Eve, yes,,,, today,,, who's going to start it?
                              Late response but I know our core group knew what was happening and this will be good info for newbies. The thread is up and running. So thank you JC.

We also have a new thead in the monthly moderation site entitled 30 days AF so as a newbie we recommend you start there and then you can consider which path you may want to go on. Ofcourse, we want you to be careful healthwise as chronic drinkers may experience withdrawal, so if you drink daily and drink abnormal amounts, please talk to a health provider first.

Eve11

Comment

Can you moderate?

What is the name of the new thread, and where is it posted, please. Is it for newbies who haven't decided which is right for them? From taking the questionnaire, I believe I'm one of the abusers rather than al dependant. Not sure which direction I want to go in just yet. I was directed to the newbies nest when I first returned after 4 years, and have received a lot of support and gained the strength to start my AF days.

Comment

Working...
                                X