April Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April Mod Squad

Freethinker, you are absolutely correct. Awareness is the key. I am learning so much more about myself now that I am working at being aware of when/why/how much I choose to drink. Learning what tips me over to drink more than I really want to, as well. AND, with that awareness is coming control. And that is what I am looking for.

Lasha, hurray with your job! If you want to become manager, it'll happen, no doubt. I bet tea-totallers wish that not drinking made their jobs easier.... I have a sneaking suspicion that work is work no matter which path we choose.

Today it looks as if we might be getting some spring weather. Monday we started with a couple inches of snow on the ground, and when we were doing our race for One Fund Boston in the evening, I think we must have had a wind-chill of around 15 degrees. But today is supposed to be warmer, the sky looks pretty. A lovely day to be alive.

Happy Hump Day to everyone!

Comment

April Mod Squad

[QUOTE=nonamegirl;1496377]Freethinker, you are absolutely correct. Awareness is the key. I am learning so much more about myself now that I am working at being aware of when/why/how much I choose to drink. Learning what tips me over to drink more than I really want to, as well. AND, with that awareness is coming control. And that is what I am looking for.

Couldn't agree more, when I finished work tonight my boss asked my opinion on a certain problem we have to try to improve on and I didn't get away until 5:15. Big deal yeah! but it is a big deal for me as I had absolutely no intention of going by the off licience to pick up booze for that after work drink and settle down for the night drinking a bottle of wine and 4 pints of cider.

So instead of looking at the clock and saying I have to go, I talked about this problem with him and didn't even think about it. Awareness is knowing you'll feel bad the next day with depression and anxiety and off course ruin your organs so don't think about it.

My immediate goal is to consolidate at 3 drinks with no blow outs, easy!
      It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

April Mod Squad

Agree with all of you. I'm not getting AF days in, but OMG I am drinking so much less. With me that means 2. That is huge. Tonite our dinner took 90 min to bake; dh and I had a drink, then he had another & I had a short glass of wine and then I switched to almond milk with dinner. Ss long as it is less, we are into harm reduction.

I watched Flight today inbetween workouts. (guess I must have felt guilty as kept going across street to fitness center and doing a bit more). Long movie, interesting. Mind keeps going back to it. IMO, it was over the top in the quantity this man was consuming. C'mon, I mean really???? Or maybe I'm naive. Or a lightweight.

Good job, guys.

TMH
        The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

April Mod Squad

not over the top in consumption to me at all,thats why im here
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

April Mod Squad

HI Sweet Peaches! Miss you all and thinking of you...lots going on and I need some perspective. I will be back soon to fill in gaps and get input...for now, XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO ~ P.
            "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

April Mod Squad

hi modders, it's sounds like everyone is working hard on their modding/reduction. I haven't had a drink in several days now, this is about the 3rd time so far this year that I've just taken some time off from drinking for a week or so and even late last year I never would have believed I could do it without obsessing. I'm working at being calmer about things and I think that is really helping a lot because one thing about being sober in the past was that I was really afraid of not handling things well, of getting stressed and angry etc. because I knew it would set off my drinking.

lasha, I think those blowouts are really good learning experiences, it's just that sometimes it takes time for us to get it but I agree, awareness in what we are doing is really helpful. Congrats on your job, and it sounds like you are doing great buddy.

TMH, you sound much happier about your modding too.

Comment

April Mod Squad

Happy Thursday, All,
                A couple weeks ago when I knew I was going to really start working the moderation thing strongly, I started taking a knitting class. Hoped it might come in handy sometime when the craving was strong.

So, yesterday afternoon I knew I really wanted to NOT have the glass of wine that was calling to me; I took an l-glut, worked on dinner with a glass of diet tonic water, and then after dinner sat down with my knitting. Finished my first project! Hurray! And the hat actually fits. Funny the things that tickle me. :happyheart:

Comment

April Mod Squad

After a very good week analysing all hazardous operations within the oil/gas terminal, my boss decides we can finish early as a bonus for our hard work.

Had it all worked out!
                  I stop off at my local have 2 pints of cider with a couple of mates to unwind and have a good laugh, feeling pretty good now, I've modded all week and deserve a blow out!
                  Dump the car at the house and say to my wife I'll just take our dog out, so walk him back to my local have another 6 pints and get a bottle of wine from offy to take home and guzzle it in front of the telly watching Chelsea (my team) play in the Europa semi-final.

WRONG

Thought better of it and walked the dog in the forest for an hour in the sunshine, he loved it, came back for fish and chips with my wife which was bril and now going to watch Chelsea with my 3 ciders. TF for MWO
                  It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

April Mod Squad

lurking

I've been lurking on MWO. I am having success cutting back with the lessons of Lance Dodes book Heart of Addiction. He suggests that the process of having a drink starts early so you need to address the process way before you drink. And it's often linked to an emotional issue. It's hard work and it takes a long time, which he acknowledges, but it's a very profound process. I think this could be applied to moderating or abstaining.
                    I've also taken to heart the lessons in the book Eve recommended, How to Control Your Drinking. Excellent advice. I think stress/anxiety is a major trigger. Deal with it better- learn how to control your inner state- and you learn to control addiction.

Comment

April Mod Squad

Hi everyone. I've been MIA for quite some time. I do check back every now and then...hope everyone is doing well. I don't crave or drink that often now, although I do have a drink or three about once or twice a week. I am still losing weight and that is my primary focus. I can't believe I put off taking control of my life for so long for fear of losing the "luxury" of drinking every day. I am nearly 30 lbs down, and want to lose about 40 more. Obviously, AL does not fit into my lifestyle on a daily basis, by far. I want to encourage everyone who is modding successfully, or those who are considering cutting back on AL. There is no downside to cutting back or quitting AL (aside from withdrawals, which are mild for most of us who even consider modding). Good luck to all and well done!

"I like people too much or not at all."
                      Sylvia Plath

Comment

April Mod Squad

Oh, too many folks to address but so glad to see everyone having great interactions and great advice. Nancy, so good to *see* you. The new book sounds fascinating. LG - glad to hear the weight loss is going as you hoped. Think you were doing well with L glut if I remember correctly?

I have gotten into much healthier eating... non-processed foods, a lot of juicing, and raw, living foods when I'm able. Also purchased some very expensive cookware on ebay that doesn't cook food at the high temps required for other pots and pans and it's a vapor and oil free method. You don't cook away the vitamins and nutrients. So, with all of that healthy eating, just feels wrong to drink too much and counteract all of the good stuff. So, the modding has been going well. Don't think I even drank a thing last Sat. as we went to a raw potluck and there is never alcohol served.

noname, I totally agree with having other things in our lives to divert our attention and energy from wanting a drink so kudos to you for taking up knitting. Loved the story. Hi to all of my other buddies, freethinker, TMH, everyone else. Have a good night and better tomorrow!

:l
                        Eve11
                        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

April Mod Squad

Good morning, Eve. I am so impressed with your dedication. This forum really benefits from your efforts.:l

No, I rarely use L-Glut, but you reminded me. I just put a little in my water. I'm still doing ADF and it's working, albeit slowly. Some of the people on the forum I frequent have lost at 2x the rate I am. However, it's not how fast you win the race, but just that you keep going forward. That could be said for modding too. Never give up, and you will never fail.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday and a great weekend if I don't "see" you again.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                          Sylvia Plath

Comment

April Mod Squad

Goodness, such a lot of congrats to go out!
                            Lasha, GREAT work on changing the plan.... your story about walking through the sunshine with your dog and then fish and chips with your wife... that just made my day! (Wish we could get some good fish and chips here in Montana.)

Nancy, thanks for reminding me about the book, Controlling Your Drinking. I am definitely going to pick that up today. I actually looked for it to order from our library and decided I didn't want everyone there to know... is that silly, or what?

LibraryGirl, congratulations to you on your weight loss. I used exercise and changing one eating thing a week to drop weight... now down 40, 20 more to go. SO, believe me, I KNOW how hard you are working at this.

Eve, you are always an inspiration. Thanks for that.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone. You are in my heart. :l:h

Comment

April Mod Squad

Intro

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself to you all....I have been a long time lurker very occasional poster on these boards. I can't believe how much I have learned by reading stories of other people out there that are just like me! I am currently going the moderation route as most of you all are. I am frankly surprised by the success I am having. I guess moderation is different for everyone, but I am certainly drinking so much less than I used to. Amazing how easy it has been for me when I have considered myself an "alcoholic" for ten years now. I do still have some times where I over indulge, but I have planned it.....my birthday party last weekend was one of those times. My plan started out with starting my "drinking time" a little later each day until my new habit formed. Next step for me was then stopping earlier than I used to...hours earlier. I have even had AF days, which I would have thought impossible a few months ago. My trigger time is still preparing dinner, but I am pacing myself in a way I have never done before and then water with dinner and green tea for a treat after dinner. Even went out for my birthday with friends on two occasions this week and kept it to three beers total each night. I am a little nervous about next week as we are going on vacation, but like others here have stated, I am paying much more attention to my consumption levels and it seems easy so far to stay within my goals.

Sorry to be long-winded! Look forward to getting to know you all! Have a great weekend!

Comment

April Mod Squad

Hi LG! hey great to see you check in girl, and so glad you are still doing so well with your modding and diet.

Nancy thanks for your thoughts, it sounds similar to what I'm realizing lately and I think you are right that the seeds are sown very early way before we even pick up a drink. I'm going to look into the books you mentioned too.

have a great weekend everyone

ps.:welcome: texas! just jump right in and post, this is a small group but you won't get any judgement here and I find I really learn from others experiences and it helps me to put some of the pieces together

Comment

Working...
                                X