November Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

November Mod Squad

Hey, TMH! Thanks! That makes sense... and about the lottery ticket, you know what? Your chances of winning are a whole lot higher after you have bought a ticket than beforehand. I buy one every blue moon, when I am feeling lucky. SOMEone has to win, right?

Comment

November Mod Squad

No win, one person from NY got it. Just came in from a 2 mi walk, not much as playing 18 today. Dh is leaving for the cold country tomorrow so wanted to get a round in. It's 79 deg & quite humid already. Love it!

My friend on the day she buried her husband posted on FB "and so it ends". Interesting what many friends commented on. Thankfully, she seems to have a good support system.

Eve, miss you here. Know we are all thinking of you.

TMH
      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

November Mod Squad

Hello again! I'm back from my film festival, rested, very happy& ready to hit the ground running with my work. I drank every night at the various events but it was waaaay less than everyone else, I woke up feeling fresh, and made it to every film that I had pre booked, even the early morning ones!
        It's been great to get back and see so many positive posts here.
        X
        Em

Comment

November Mod Squad

Wow! So glad to hear of all your excapades.

NName, Thanks so much for your constant companionship, and Ringing, and Emmy Lou... I wish we had known each other in college. Rather kindred spirits, I'd say.

Stewarts, I never post on the abs boards, because I would have to go find a tall building to jump off of.

TMH... I am struck by your friend's epitaph, "and so it ends." I don't mean to sound awful and preachy, but I just don't believe (after 65 years on this planet) that it ends. I know how and why it feels that way...believe me I do, but I just don't think it's true. Your touching and painful note sent me off to my cemeteries today to plant some crocuses in this beautiful New England fall weather. I just wish I could hug you to pieces.

Comment

November Mod Squad

It's getting late here...11:30 p.m.and that is just the time during which I just want to settle in to my chair, listen to the silence and just be whoever it is that I am. BUT...I am going to call it a day and go to bed. A step forward for me! Love out to you all in your far corners of this world, my friends.Am happy anticipating Thanksgiving with all my newlyweds, and Christmas after that. Beautiful, lovely, quiet nights with those I love. God bless!

Comment

November Mod Squad

Mmmm.... my dear Crocus, I also love this time of year when the world seems to hush (okay, this is if you don't spend your days at Walmart) and we turn our thoughts to why and how much we have to be grateful for. I love cooking the big holiday meals, having people I love over. We are truly blessed. This year for Thanksgiving we are having our friends that we have had Saturday night dinner with for the last 23 years (almost without exception) and their youngest daughter, now in college. These folks are non-drinkers, so we won't even have to think about that aspect of the day, at all.

Christmas we have always had our big dinner on Christmas Eve, usually a prime rib, with company. That way on Christmas Day we can have a nice breakfast, some prime rib sandwiches later on, and spend the whole day in quiet celebration, just the two of us. LOVE this time of year!

Happy Monday, everyone. Take care and be well. Emmy, so glad you enjoyed your film fest! I was thinking about you. TMH, you go girl, with all that golf!
              :l:h

Comment

November Mod Squad

Hello~ what a weekend! Was going to start my AF days yesterday, but alas someone had a Hole-in-One and that someone was moi! My first. That meant everyone who was in bar while I was there could have a free house wine or draft beer. Turned out there was a Sunday Couples event yesterday so lots of people thanked me for a drink. Party cont'd at friends for dinner.

Going bowling later this afternoon. It's been years since I held a bowling ball. Kind of wish I hadn't agreed to go but committed now.

Crocus, I can see what my friend meant. Life as she knew it was over. Doesn't mean they don't have their memories. Earlier in the week she said it was deja vu. Understood that too.

It's so nice to hear you all love the holidays. Thanksgiving is my favorite, and the holiday we usually had all the family over. Will be alone this year have plans to FaceTime with son and grandboys. Last year we drove to MN for Christmas and said never again. We'll be with lots of friends and for that I am thankful.

Let's have a great week!

TMH

Comment

November Mod Squad

"'Cause everybody knows
                  (She's a femme fatale)
                  The things she does to please
                  (She's a femme fatale)
                  She's just a little tease
                  (She's a femme fatale)
                  See the way she walks
                  Hear the way she talks" -Velvet Underground

Not sure, but I've been playing this song a lot today...great tune, but whatever... good live version for those who like video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoMCfAr5f_8[/video]]The Velvet Undergound & Nico - Femme Fatale (live) - YouTube

I had pretty much an AL free weekend...I had a few beers watching football, I think mainly because I was bored...I don't anticipate much drinking if any during the week.

Comment

November Mod Squad

Did well today. Guy I picked up to go bowling with paid for our games & shoes. So I paid the $10 toward prize money, then he wanted a beer and I said I'd buy. Bought him a beer & I had an o'Douls. Then we went to club for dinner, I drank lemon water. After dinner the prize money was doled out and turned out I was on winning team, we shared $70.

And so goes my life. I am glad I didn't drink today.

TMH

Comment

November Mod Squad

HOLEY MOLEY, TMH! First a hole in one and then the winning team in bowling? Jiminey crickets, girl! Okay, this one's for you....
                      :wave::wave:
                      Even not being a golfer I get how much skill must go in to that hole in one. Fantastic!

So, Stewarts, my friend. Is there another femme fatale in your life at the mo? I hope she is all you deserve. Or perhaps it is just a great song and you are relaxing in to your not-in-training mode. Whichever, I am glad you are enjoying yourself with football and friends. I enjoy thinking of you in Manhattan at the holidays.

For our basement I have spent the last couple weeks trying to find material to make curtains to block some - but not all - of the cubbies in the built-in shelves in our newly painted basement. Will take a lot of fabric, and I was really balking at paying the $$ for it. Plus, I wasn't finding what I wanted anyway. And then I started thinking.... my godmother, who built this house with my godfather, kept all her scraps after making all her draperies. Might it be possible I would find enough of the kitchen curtain material? And YES! Hurray! So it is to the sewing machine for me for the next couple days.

Comment

November Mod Squad

Hi everyone, just stopping by briefly on the way to bed.i wasn't even going to post but Stewarts song caught my attention. It's one of my favourites, my cat is called Nico, after the singer. Thanks for the link!
                        I am AF for the second day in a row & I think I may try to keep it going until I finish my current work contract. I start a new contract on Monday but this time I get to work with a team in the Theatre. So the plan is no drinking until this lot is done. Deadline is Sunday but I'm allowing myself a night out if I finish it all on Friday...wish me luck!
                        Thanksgiving is something we don't have here, but I was lucky enough to be invited to a thanksgiving dinner by an American friend once and it was wonderful. Your descriptions of it also sound so lovely. Enjoy!
                        Love Em
                        X

Comment

November Mod Squad

Congrats on the hole in one, impressive...

No, I think a femme fatale has been messing with my life.

I was watching Football by myself, I was bored...I did get to go to my little nephews (the twins), actually they're my little cousins, four year old bdaay party...that was fun..

j.

Comment

November Mod Squad

Hi Everyone!

I'm glad I have today and yesterday AF. Hubbs is having his vodka in the kitchen, and I am here with you!

TMH - Hole in one! Wowsers! What fun! All my male family members play golf, so I can bet that was a great celebration!

Emmy and NNG - Yes, This is a wonderful time of the year here. Unique! Sounds like a great film festival and lots of fun. And sounds like you managed the drinks beautifully. Great!

Thanksgiving is my favorite too. As with you, NNG, Christmas is much quieter, and more "snuggled down." Thanksgving here starts early and ends late. Most everyone stays overnight here with us. Brother, nieces, my kids with spouses etc. I will have 13 this year, and I enjoy it. They are all big drinkers, but I almost never overdo it at family gatherings, so I think I'll be fine as long as I stay aware.

Off we go to Wednesday. Beautiful brisk, windy, sunny weather here. Blessings to you all.

Ringing, I am thinking of your friend, and how difficult the holidays can be under such circumstances. That's pretty rough. It's good she has you.

Comment

November Mod Squad

P.S. Quick question. DO you guys have any thoughts on binge drinking? I think my personality tilts towards binge behavior. Not on purpose, and not for more than one evening, but I often moderate or abstain fairly easily. Then, out of the blue...too much.

Thanks ahead of time.

Comment

November Mod Squad

Hi all,
                                Another late night of working...so much to do, I don't think I'll make my self imposed deadline of Friday. At least it means I have inadvertently gotten enough done to actually do it all by the clients deadline I suppose. And I've had three days AF in the process. I wonder if I'll manage to make it four?
                                Crocus, when I first discovered alcohol in my teens, I was the worlds worst binge drinker. I think I reached a stage where my brain kicked in, and analysed the consequences. I'd left home and was financially responsible for myself. I didn't want to stop drinking but I couldn't afford to pay the rent and keep going the way that I was heading. So I started counting drinks. I could also see my friends doing really embarrassing things while bingeing. That's what stopped it for me, but of course I continued to drink every day, just what I could afford, which wasn't good either. Maybe just start counting drinks? I also taught myself to be aware of the moment when I felt 'the glow' starting. I told myself to stop there and not have another one until it started to wear off, I think I've saved a lot of brain cells with that strategy. I said to myself that drinking more after I already had the effect I wanted was pointless. Shows what a control freak I really am?
                                Good luck with it anyway,
                                Night all,
                                X
                                Em

Comment

Working...
                                X