Where do I concentrate? Lose wt or AF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you got a run in, Stewarts. Bear, hear you on mini milestones. We do need to accent the positive. Ginger, you trail hike? I kind of miss that. Love living here and get a lot of exercise but do miss my trail running and snowshoeing.

Yest golf got rained out after 10 holes. Tee time was mid day and it's that time of year where we usually get showers mid afternoon. Shot a 51 on front 9. Like to be under 50. 51 was actually good considering I took 3 8's. Ugh! Ginger, when I started playing my handicap must have been about 40. Got to 36. Remember it being 32 for awhile, then a new friend here explained to me that I should really strive to shoot 100 and 101 so I could get my handicap to 29 and not have to take over an 8. What a revelation! LOL Anyway worked handicap down to 22 which is really not me. Got there because of playing just 9 holes where you don't get as tired and usually do better. Insert those #'s into GHIN and they combine the times you play 9. So I may shoot a 46, then a 44 so it's coming up 90. I'm more like a mid-90's person and it's not just a snap. To play in tournaments we have to have a handicap. We also have handicap police. In other words if you are winning tourneys and doing a lot better than your handicap indicates you should be doing they are going to police that you are entering all your scores. I kind of pooh-poohed that there is actually a committee for that but guess there really is.

Today I had Bible Study, grocery shopped, then did a legs weight workout and ran/walked 2.5 miles. This time on TM as it was mid afternoon and very hot, humid & windy today. Dh just called. He played golf with one of the bag boys (older, almost 50) and they were going for a beer. Did he want me to swing by and pick me up to join them? I said no, I just finished working out and I'm all sweaty and besides waiting for a call from dd. So dh says, hhmmm, how to decide, a cold beer or a sweaty wife.....

TMH
    Didn't weigh
    Steps 12.4K
    Yest: 0 *
    The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

TMH, I'm the happiest on a trail. Love to go and take the dog to free range. I used to do week long overnight hikes but that was when I was young and bullet proof, which was a long time a go. I could probably still do it if I kept it at 5 or 6 miles each day but I don't have all the gear anymore so I guess I'll be sticking with the day hikes. Longer hikes are so great though because you can get so far away from everything. I'm really not that serious of a golfer. We usually get out once a week but rarely do 18 holes. We don't use a cart and I'm usually bored after nine. I have a pretty short attention span when it comes to golf! Hope everyone has a great day!

Comment

I actually was not able... I have a work event at six 4:15 here now, I might have to bail... I just want to say hi and leave...I had a long day. I still may try and sneak out for a quick run, my gym is up the block.

Thank you for the positive thoughts.

Comment

Hi Ginger! Welcome!!!! Great job on your 2+ weeks af!!!

TMH.....I had a great weekend!!! Thanks for asking! I went on a Mother's Day boat ride with one of my sisters and a few cousins! Started with lemon water and then 1 beer... .then went to my cousins house and had some wine......over did it but I had given myself permission to just enjoy my Mother's day... and I did!!! Lol......Oh and I didn't even take my flask........that was new!!!!

Comment

I'm getting ready to start walking again...... you all are encouraging me to get moving!!!! Thanks!!!!

Comment

Just wihizzing in,Been to gym onCE and did skate sesh,playing in a game tomorrow then training Sunday eve.lost half a pound,as not tracked calories consistently happy with that.has take away dominos and wedges tonight. Went to pub last night and had one and a half beers and atwo cigs,two more today.that has to stop!looking forward to two beers after game tomorrow. I'm enjoying exercise but too tired today.Time to get summer clothes out, for summer,hope everyone's good and happy.
              one day at a time

Comment

I just want to jump in to say I'm not making any real progress. I can go AF a couple days but that's about it. I do get my exercise in, however, I constantly ache and am always tired. Sleep is either dang near passed out or nonexistent. Nights can be unbelievably long.

This isn't any way to live. I was reading someone's thread this a.m. that was so encouraging and can't seem to find it back. It is long, I got to page 10.

I did make a start by speaking to dh, requesting that we eat dinner earlier because I want to quit drinking for a time, and I find myself getting ansy and wanting to get dinner over with. Once I eat a meal I usually don't have any craving for alcohol. He suggested we go for a bike ride prior to dinner. That would also be fine. I know I ached today because I did a lower body workout tape yesterday. My thinking has gotten kind of screwed up. Like don't take ibuprofen; it's bad for you, but it's ok to drink 4 glasses of wine at night?????

TMH
                Today is Day 1

Comment

Just getting my sleep back in order. Aiming to be in bed by 10 (or 10:30) and up by 6 as according to Ayurveda and my acupuncturist that is the golden window as that is the time that works with your circadian rhythms. First 3 or 4 days (it takes about two weeks to set a sleep pattern) I know I'll be dragging but after that start to feel more awake and rested. And less achy as the body has now been healing more effectively. I know for myself and most people I know this is another place where the two week rule applies - exercise - and it only takes a few days to set me back to being achy after a workout. Not sure how long you've had your routine in place.
                  As for the rubber band AF/non-AF cycle - that's exactly where I'm at too. It's why I'm back making my way through day 2. I get enough from that day or two that I want more though and seeing the many people here with double digit days; its just a matter of time. We've all gotta hang in there.
                  “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                  Newbies Nest Roll Call
                  Toolbox
                  Cattleman Cafe

Comment

TMH, perhaps you could give it a 30 day trial and then see how you feel. You might find the benefits in the other ares of your life will outweigh what you consider the negatives of not drinking. Not having to think about it anymore (other than being grateful the monkey is off my back) has been so liberating. It makes me sad for you to see your struggles here because they are familiar pains and the thing is, they're of our own making. It's like The Wizard of Oz - we've had the power to live the lives we want to live all along.

All the best to you - NS

Comment

Cannot believe this. I am not MIA - responded almost immediately yesterday, however, was on Ipad and it didn't take. Told me I wasn't logged in. I was. Now I just started to recreate and "poof" away it went. One more time.

Orimus - on day 2 myself now. I took OTC sleeping pills about 8:00p, drank tea, turned off lights at 9:30p. Slept on and off but really no complaints. What is your short term goal?

NS - Before posting yesterday I almost PM'd you. Know what you say is true. We are taking a road trip June 6 or 7. Normally, we drive all day, then look forward to a little wine at hotel and either dinner out or call for delivery, relax. I want some time off so am committing to at least up to the trip. Then we will see. May want to continue on and be sober while with family and friends. Looking and feeling better is a good incentive! Thanks for good wishes!

Today I felt a bit less tired, played 18 holes, got out for a 2 mile brisk walk. This afternoon I was able to take my rings off (they sure need cleaning). Normally, I cannot budge them. Could this happen after just 1 day AF? I did drink more water yesterday and then, of course, the tea. Could be.

TMH
                      Day 2

Comment

I'd be happy to talk to you about this anytime, TMH. I think we're of similar age and both still want to be active and involved for several more years. The feeling that I was never at my best and that I was constantly low on energy was what finally motivated me to stop drinking. When I would complain about it, people would say, Well NS, we're getting older and you can't expect to always be able to do the same things. I tried to believe them but in my heart, I knew the truth. And i was right! I doubt that I look 10 or 15 years younger (actually, I know I don't ), but I do have so much more energy, enthusiasm, and interest in all sorts of things. That to me has been worth what turned out to be a very small price to pay. Talk to you later, NS

Comment

First thought upon waking - am so glad I did not drink yest. Hence, why mood has changed back. Get rid of sad, get rid of tired, be grateful.

It took until page 15 for me to turn the concentration around. It is now on being AF.

Yes, will talk later, just wanted to document the gratitude.

TMH
                          Start of Day 3 and dare I say already?

Comment

One of the best things about having an AF day is the thought in the middle of the night or the next morning - glad I was AF!! When I'm arguing with myself, one of the "don't drink" arguments is - did I ever wake up the next morning and say: "cheez - I really should have had that drink." Not!

I have fallen away from my nice exercise routine and need to get back. You all inspire me!

Comment

DG, you did it before and you can do it again. Glad you are back!

Feels like a lot has transpired in very little time. Yesterday a.m. I journaled to quit thinking about fear of no sleep. Had a great day. Ran/walked 2+ miles, then went to Bible Study, ran errands, talked to my dd, then played 9 holes of golf. Felt so calm and shot a 44. (someone here used to care about score). So far not drinking just hasn't been an issue. Part of it is dh seems to be on board also but...........we are in the process of being sued. Dh had a fender bender. Rolled into car ahead of him going 7 mph. No damage to our car. They had a little. Well, first they came back with wanting $250,000. Then other person in car decided he, too, was injured and they upped it to $500,000. No one seemed injured at time of accident. Then we just got notice they are asking $1,500,000. We will need to go to court. Dh said if they win, the AF wagon will be losing its wheels!!! But we actually had a huge belly laugh....and did not drink.

NS, you hit it on the head. It is exactly how I felt/feel. Not one word is wrong. You described me to a tee. (no pun intended)

Did not take a thing last night to go to sleep and had an excellent night's sleep. The big "D" has cleared up. How long have I had the big "D"? Oh, about 20 yrs. When did I start drinking wine? 20 yrs ago. Sorry, if TMI.

Played 18 holes this a.m. with gfs. I fear I may have turned into these women who talk too much. Think it annoyed me so much before because I was hungover. You think? Shot a 94.

Senses have improved. I kept commenting on how good it smelled out there today. I swear I can see better. And if this is all psychosomatic, bring it on!

TMH
                              Day 4

Comment

I don't think it is in your head . xx, NS

Comment

Working...
                                X