Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January (new year) abbercisers!!

Hi Abbercisers!

Thanks for sharing your New Year's energy; I need to get with the program! Feel free to offer advice (or the whip:H).

The Alcohol Free part is going well; no big cravings or issues like that. I've learned to live through the bad days without it becoming a crisis. Often felt a bit foggy and dull, along with vague aches and pains. From what I've read, I'll chalk that up to mild depression caused by a) no more self-medication by alcohol, b) some Seasonal Affective Disorder, and c) stress from financial issues. A few days ago, I found L-Tryptofan at the natural products store. I've been taking one 500mg. cap a day in early afternoon and it seems to help with both mental clarity and motivation. Even though I feel better, I must admit there are occasional moments of confusion or forgetfulness.

As for abbercise, I was erratic; working-out when I felt like it, and usually over-doing it when I did. Like when I tweaked my knee Christmas Day trying for the Super Work-out before the big dinner party. With the help of the L-Tryp, I will commit to at least 30 minutes of aerobic (exercise bike or bicycle) every day. I should be able to that whatever the time of day or weather outside. No matter what comes along, I can ride the exercise bike in front of the TV for a half hour. No Excuses!!!

For strength training, I have a Bowflex, which is easier on my more experienced joints and muscles. Even so, I still try to do too much. For the first month, the new plan is to cut-back on the weight 10-20% and increase the reps a little. 45 minutes / three days a week. I will try to build a foundation to build on as my general AF health improves.
    FWIW, even though I may have been "fitter" at some time when I was drinking, right now I feel better than I have in the last twenty years!:thanks:

Comment

Time for my exercise session..........IAD.
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Feel free to offer advice (or the whip).
        Tom v 3, this whip's for YOU! :b&d::sofa:

Hi abbercisers! Worked out at Curves this morning and it really wakes me up and makes me feel alive as always!! I feel a good mind set coming on for the day and I'm looking forward to my "to do" list believe it or not!!

I am so VERY grateful for sobriety, and for all my friends here and at SMART who continue to help me. Those low, low drunken days seem so hopeless when I think back to them. I truly have a new life with all kinds of possibilities before me. I'm having a mushy, soppy, grateful moment. :l

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks DG, I'm headed to the gym right after this!

Another thing...what's all this I now hear from the "media experts" about not stretching before a work-out??? Some say warm-up first, then stretch, and then hit it hard; others say to wait until you're done and then stretch-out. No wonder I'm so confused!

Advice and opinions welcome!:thanks:

Comment

Tom, the latest two things I have read about stretching are: That most people who stretch do it entirely wrong and are not doing themselves any good, and quite possibly some harm; AND another article that said that there are no persuasive data indicating that any sort of stretching improves performance or reduces injuries.

All of this, of course, reinforces my inclination to not mess around with stretching... Warm up and cool-down, doing whatever your workout is, however, are clearly important... just start out slow, then finish slow... from what I have heard and read, I'm persuaded that that's really crucial...

Comment

Well, day 3 AF for me. My conditioning has really fallen off. I am going to start slowly. Twenty minutes on the eliptical machine today with a few laps in the pool.

Comment

I think one should stretch out before exercising ...Ha! IAD.
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for the Youtube link, wip. I have been taking a power yoga class once a week, which I love, but obviously is not enough. I really need to do this daily on my own. But I guess it doesn't work if I only WATCH the videos, huh?:H
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Maybe I'm just burned out from the holidays, but lately I'm having trouble getting motivated to do ANYTHING. I'm not depressed, but I seem to be acting like I did when I was always hung over. Like, new year's day, I slept in, stayed in bed and watched the parade, laid around and ate junk all day and night. I need a routine. I hope that Monday when school starts again, I can get into one. I don't really want to turn into a sloth this winter!!!
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Morning all!

Feeling a little stiff this morning - did 2km swim yesterday, but my back still isn't 100% after I did something to it NY eve. But feeling great about the swimming distance - I love the rhythm of it and once I get into it I feel like I could go for hours. On track for my 2.8km swim on 24th ..... although haven't done as much sea swimming as I should, but I plan to rectify this over the next week as we are doing a tramp (someone on this thread referred to a "yomp" which I just loved!!) for 3 days in one of the National Parks, and the route is right along the coast.

On the subject of stretching before or after exercise ........ I think it is a good idea to ignore advice unless it comes from a reputable source!! (like: forget the "latest advice" stuff in magazines!!) Your own body is the best source of knowledge and understanding when it comes to stretching (when and what bits) and how much to push yourself. You are the person that lives inside your skin, and are the best judge of what is helping you to feel better and fitter. And I have to say that some so-called "personal trainers" are not all that great either ...... I have a friend who has aggravated a knee problem through pushing herself on an exercise that she found painful, but that her trainer had recommended as one that she should use to sort it out.

Personally I never stretch before exercise, but I always make sure that I take it pretty easy for the first 10 minutes to warm myself up. But I always make an effort (although sometimes a half-arsed one!) to stretch afterwards - I find I get very stiff the next day if I dont (apparently this has something to do with releasing lactic acid build up in the muscles that have been used).

I often use bits of the sun salutation for this - if you do the whole thing (properly!) it is supposed to stretch all major muscle groups. But there are some bits I cant do (although I am resolved to eliminate the "cant" word from my vocabulary this year!!) so I skip those!!

And if anyone is interested, I love this website!!
                      Animated Exercise Examples - TheTrainingStationInc.com?- Exercises

It has lots of exercises on it, and they are animated, so you can see what you are supposed to be doing! I visit frequently to both get new things to do so that I dont get bored with doing the same routine in the gym!
                      Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hi everyone

Went to the gym this am - did about 40 mins on various pieces of equipment includ the rowing machine - first time i've used this since my hysterectomy but am 9 months post op now so should be ok - I hope!?!? - only did 5 mins on it just to break myself in. Find the gym quite boring actually - at the moment i'm only going there about once a week, but I swim at least twice a week and I run at least once if not twice a week making 4 or 5 exercise sessions in total. At the moment i'm more concerned with toning up particularly around my waist than losing weight - although I think I could lose another 7 lbs or so (however my body mass index is now 22.5).

Comment

Hi Everyone: I'm much less ambitious as some of you, but then I'm probably much older (going on 64). I have kept to my goal of 30 min 5X per week for the whole 3 days of Jan. Thank God for a lively poodle...I HAVE to walk him or else he'll be totally pesty. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in quickly before guests arrive. Have not had time to read today's posts but it looks like there is some good stuff! Can't wait to catch up.

Did my 11 mile training run today. I never thought I would make it but I took it turtle slow. I'm sure I will be sore tomorrow.

M3
                            AF Since April 20, 2008
                            4 Years!!!
                            :lilheart:

Comment

Wow M3 - congrats on making the 11 miles!!!! YEAH!!! Sometimes we have more inside of us than we give ourselves credit for.

Mary, your description of your lively poodle made me smile! You are NOT OLD!!! LOL there are some ladies at Curves where I work out that are probably 84 who could kick my butt all the way down the street! Good for you on meeting your exercise goals for all of 2009 so far!

Sausage, there is a part of me that wishes I had more options like you describe with a bigger gym. Good for you on taking advantage of the variety that is there! (although I dont' do well when bored and I've been bored in a gym for very brief moments in my sedentary history!) Good for you stepping out and trying stuff post-op. Be careful though!

Mame you sound fabulous and it's great you are on track for the 24th. We will all be :yougo: for you when the time comes! (must dust off my pom poms) Thank you for that web link! Boy those little characters make it look easy! I'm going to book mark that - I have a feeling it will come in handy one day.

LVT I'm sorry you are feeling low. I think you are on the right track considering more exercise - maybe something daily. Endorphin power is real! I hope more exercise helps you with the post holiday funk.

IAD :egad: is all I have to say about THAT picture!

Hi WIP and Mo!

Tom, as Mame also said, I really don't trust the latest fads I read here or there. I DO have a decent amount of faith in the Curves program since the workout is very specifically designed, and that is their only business. I have grown to feel very safe using the equipment - it seems to be pretty fool proof in terms of injuring yourself while doing something with improper form. They had a floor / bar stretching program that I thought was "OK" up until about a year ago. Then they introduced a thing that looks like a jungle gym, but with a very specific stretching routine for all the body parts. This is done AFTER the workout. I love it - it feels like a perfect post-workout cool down. FWIW. The "warmup" involves just starting out at a much slower pace and gradually building up for the first 3 minutes.

Today is my day off Nanny Nanny Boo Boo!!! So I get to sit here and just :b&d::sofa: all of you guys! I mostly want to stay caught up with what everyone is doing so I don't feel so far behind that I can't post!!

I'm very happy with how my overall fitness has come along at Curves. If there are a couple areas I would like to improve upon this year it's a little flatter abs and reducing that inner thigh cottage cheese. The abs have come a long way from where they were so I'm not sure if just keepin' on will show the improvement I want, or if I need to start adding extra spot work. I'm still thinkin' on that one.

At any rate, have a great day everyone!

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

wow tht lady couldnt handle me hahahahaha,id kill her,life is as easy as you make it,find YOURSELF,thats all that matters,geico,note i lerned how to spell it right,hahaahha

Comment

Working...
                                X