Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome August Abstainers ~ week 4

I can't picture you screeching LBH :H
    I have taken a lesson or two from my crazy hens....especially Stella!!!

I would love to gather all our troops for the month of September.
    I miss our sober bus driver Sooty, we don't see cyntree enough, Shelley? Where is she?
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

nature update: 2 fishies, no froggies. hmmmm.....

Got a message from a technology recruiter about a job in Boston. not sure how she got my info but worth asking some questions. Waiting for a call back.

LBH-hope you papa turtle is Ok! They become friends don't they! I also hope your muscle spasm has released and that you're feeling better. How did the data transfer go?

Hey TDN!

Good Job IMT! Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the update Chill-my take on elle: Was she almost always on lead or in a fenced in yard prior to this move (except when on the beach in Portugal?). I'm thinking if she's got the run of the land now, she's doing what she was always meant to do. Wondering if there is a little bird dog in her? I think the only way to prevent this from happening is to engage her in other activities while off leash and not leave her to her own devices. Then when the activity is over, take her for a long leashed walk and then inside. She could also be bored or doesn't know what to do with herself with all the new found freedom. Am I right that she lived a pretty structured life prior to moving to Suffolk?

Hey Star-hope you had a good day!

Lav-I think its so cool that the internet has provided you with a living. Wish i could find that one special thing I can do in my spare time that is unique enough that I wouldn't have tons of competition on Etsy or Ebay. I'll keep thinking.

Long but gratifying day at work and Orientation is over until January!! Lots of cleanup to do of records but I'm not under the gun as much.
      It went surprisingly well despite the horribly dusty conditions( mucho construction going on all summer and they aren't done yet) and lack of AC. It was very warm in the room but I had a fan and it was only about 75 outside. Could have been much worse had it been in the 90s like its been all summer!!

Nothing special planned for tonite.
      New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Just spent some time cleaning up one of my flower beds & Matilda took off after a bird or bug or something......that little sweetheart was gone for about 20 minutes, Grrrr!
        But she came bouncing back, happy as can be whenshe got tired :H
        Good thing too because it was starting to get dark out.

Papmom, the internet may very well be the only way for people to shop if these freakin gas prices keep rising. That remids me of Dewdrop - wonder how her shoe/handbag store is doing??

LBH, I have had a couple of serious, long lasting muscle spasm problems since I fell nearly 12 years ago
        When it starts I have found the best thing to do is call & get an Rx for 7-10 days worth of Flexeril. Works like a charm

I need to find a better solution for keeping Matilda restrained while we are working outside, hmmm, I think I need a fence.
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav-what about a 4 ft high xpen? Portable, you can stake it for extra stability and 2 together give quite a bit of room. You can even buy covers for them to keep out the sun (or use a tarp or those sunshades). There are also cloth or plastic playpens that I see quite a bit at shows. They also sometimes come with toppers. Of course, those will depend on if your dog is a jumper or not as they are only 2 or 2.5 ft tall I think. You might be able to find 3 ft high ones. One of mine is a jumper so i go with the 4ft high xpen at trials. Cheaper than a fence that's for sure but a fence is the most secure (as long as she's not a digger!!).

So that was what dew was setting up!! I never knew what the product was.

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Good Evening Everyone,

How about Sober, Sweet, Serene, Smart, Sexy, Sassy September?:H Obviously I was thinking of myself when I thought of Sassy.

LBH-that is the cutest turtle I've ever seen! Its colors are beautiful. Are you having fun with your new Ipad...it was an Ipad, wasn't it?

Pap-how are you holding up? I admire you for looking in the beauty of your own back yard....lots to enjoy and you don't have to spend any money.

Chill-sounds like you and Mr. S are quite good for each other. I wish you all the luck.

Hi TDN! How are you doing?

IMT...congratulations on your mounting AF days!:goodjob:

Big hugs and hellos to everyone else. I'm going to bed. See you in the morning.

Comment

Good morning everyone...

Up really early, menopausal symptoms of insomnia, hot flashes and irritability make for an extremely early wake-up, so what better to do than visit my friends!!

I took the day off as I thought we were moving more stuff from my Dad's, but turns out we'll be doing that tomorrow, so today is a bonus day. I need to get some exercise this morning when the sun rises, then go to the library, lunch with old work friends, and I am thinking I need a massage to relax and get rid of some of this tension. It looks like we are getting rain over the weekend, so I can catch up on cleaning and laundry, it is not so much with only the two of us.

LBH, muscle spasms can be so painful, take care. New computers are fun but I always dread the adjustment period, as it can be frustrating. Your back yard sounds really cool and your knowledge of turtles is interesting. We found a huge turtle by the creek close to our yard in the past, he was two feet long at least, and I was very cautious. No little turtles like yours.

Pap, you sound like you are coming back, you always do. Isn't it interesting that you get a call, just keep on looking and exploring. It was good to hear you had a gratifying day at work, I would think working on a university campus would be a great atmosphere, I would love to work on a campus. When I am in a college town the youthful energy positively affects me...I worked on a campus in the 90s and just loved it. It was parttime though and temporary.

I was just thinking that one of the most positive aspects of being AF is getting so much accomplished. I can make a list today and enjoy getting all types of things done, feeling good, doing a great job. Contrast that to feeling hungover, struggling to do just what is required and all the regrets that go along with that. Obviously being AF does not mean perfect health or no challenges, but what happens is that it is easier to work through menopause, muscle spasms, and whatever life hands us.

Hello to all, have great days and get alot done if that is your goal.
              Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Hot flashes & puppies will wake up anyone Star :H :H
                I've been up & at it early myself! I do enjoy getting so much more done these days not to mention having the energy & ability need to take care of the kiddies

papmom, I have thought about those portable play yards but I don't see it working here. This dog is definitely a jumper-type & just setting one up with the way my doors are situated would be difficult. I've actually considered one of those portable pens for my chickens

I have lots & lots to do today so I'll get going!
                Hi to Rusty & everyone!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning, everyone!

I, too, get up early--anywhere from 5:00 to 6:15. This a.m. was 6:00, as I watched the RNC speeches until 11:00 last night. Love waking early and having a little time to myself. Am walking every morning at 7:30--do two miles with a neighbor--but really need to get back into some Zumba and Step classes. Now that I don't go to work until at least 9:30, and have more than one day a week off-I will have time. But Mr TDN has to drive me, but we might be able to work out a time where he is at his gym and I am at a class. We'll see. Love walking, though. So beautiful and peaceful, and soon the summer people will be gone and the road will be quiet again.
                  Three weeks today since I came back after a short relapse. Would call it a slip, but that to me is a day or two. Had six months, slipped, then relapsed, then did six days, relapsed again, and came back three weeks ago. Lav and Pap3 were a huge help, along with the forum here.
                  Pap3, great news!!! Fingers crossed and prayers that this job may work for you!!! I know there is something good wating for you!! You sure deserve it!
                  Going to do some errands while hubby is at gym, then home to make a veggie dish to go with the grilled chicken we are making for friends. we will go for a boat ride first, and I also have a phone call with an educational sales rep for whom I'll be doing some work. Phone work to start, then maybe something more after January 1. That is if all goes according to plan with getting my license back. One day at a time!
                  Have a wonderful AF day!
                  TDN
                  "One day at a time."

Comment

Good Afternoon Abstaining Acrobats,

AF Rusty here for a mid-afternoon check-in.

Star-Beautifully said:
                    I was just thinking that one of the most positive aspects of being AF is getting so much accomplished. I can make a list today and enjoy getting all types of things done, feeling good, doing a great job. Contrast that to feeling hungover, struggling to do just what is required and all the regrets that go along with that. Obviously being AF does not mean perfect health or no challenges, but what happens is that it is easier to work through menopause, muscle spasms, and whatever life hands us.
                    You have given me inspiration to resurrect one of the few threads I've ever started: "What I Accomplished Today Because I Did Not Drink."

TDN-I just love all your positive AF energy. It's contagious.

LBH: Screeching, Smashed, and Stupid September (at least anymore). Now there was a month.:H For me, not to mention October, November, December....

Lav-Flexieril...works great. Oh yeah, I'm still on it.

I'm consulting with a client now but I'll be back. I got some wonderful news (not work-related) which will support my desire to be 100% AF. See you all tonight.

Comment

Rusty, don't keep us hanging! What's your news?

August is coming to a close already. It is amazing "August, die she must", as the Simon&Garfunkle song says. September will be a good month for us all.

Isn't tomorrow a "blue moon"?
                      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

It sure is a blue moon tomorrow Dill -
                        I think it's the reason for a couple of crazy mood swings for me this week.........

Rusty - what's the news?
                        Do we have to plan a baby shower??? :H :H
                        I make really cool baby blankets

TDN & Papmom, I hope you both get some good news on the job front!
                        I've actually had a pretty busy shop the past two weeks after a quiet summer so I'm not complaining - not really!

I have been searching dog restraints (in my spare time today), kennels, fencing, etc.
                        I found this at Tractor Supply - it's large, I have plenty of room for it & I could shove both dogs in there together if necessary :H
                        Doc Bob? Professional Kennel, 10 ft. L x 5 ft. W x 6 ft. H - 3606033 | Tractor Supply Company
                        I'll have to give this some more thought - it could work.
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

That should do it Lav. More permenant but definitely a nice safe place to let them hang out while you work. I have a similar one but the wire guage is probably not as high so mine isn't good for tough chewers. I also don't have the roof which is a very nice feature. Protects from rain and sun depending on fabric. Go for it!!

RUSTYYYYYYYYYY!!!! You left us hanging!!!

Did you have a good day TDN?

I to hope September brings some good news for us and for anyone struggling.

Today at work I was sent over to the new Student Services Center -kind of one stop shopping. Its a beehive of activity and most of the people working there are NOT happy with the new setup. It used to be that Fin. Aid, Student Accounts and my office all were separate. Now the first 2 offices physically moved to this new space and we sent one person from our office over permanently to handle any foot traffic. The rest of us are still in our old space but students are locked out. They have to go to the new place. We still handle the phone calls tho whereas at the new SSC, Fin.Aid and student accounts handle both phone calls and foot traffic. Kind of crazy but I think in time it will work out. Anyway, I thrive on this kind of thing and would love to be sent over permenantly but that won't happen. I can't work in that environment and do the amount of data entry expected of me every day. Too bad-I might actually like my job again if I could work with the students every day like I did today.
                          Dinner with Dad tonite-scrumptious fresh huge scallops that Trader Joe's got in from one of our North Shore towns, fresh Corn on the Cob and green beans. Yummo!

Dad agrees that I need to trade down in vehicles. I'll go to the dealer I got my jeep from tomorrow and see what she can do for me. Considering my jeep is only worth half of what I owe on the loan I suspect not much. May have to go to plan B whatever that may be.

Can't wait to see the Blue Moon tomorrow!

No fishies or frogs this morning. Got home to late to look tonite.

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Good Early Morning AF August Friends,

Dill-I love Simon and Garfunkel, and that song....yes, I remember it!

Rustop-I can't wait to hear the details of your cruise....especially the romantic parts.

Pap-I'm proud of you for trying to find a less expensive car than your Jeep, but I know it must be horrible to give up.:upset:

Lav-HI!!!

Ok, here's my news: in my town, there is a lovely specialty gift shop and women's clothing store, and I bought a beautiful blouse/jacket/pants and raincoat outfit from this place, and I wore it to the store to buy a gift on my way out of town for work. Well, the buyer, who is extremely thin, looked at me and told me I looked fabulous in that outfit as it is made for women who travel, and she asked me if I would want to be on the store's website, as well as model clothes for the store in a fashion show they put on at Curves. I told her, "thank you, but not at this weight, but when I lose 30 more pounds, then, yes!" She said, " you don't have to lose 30 lbs. to represent our store, but when you're ready, let us know. We want you to model our clothes. You travel all over the world, you look great in our clothing line, you have great skin, a beautiful face, and it would be nice to spotlight someone who is not overly thin (like she is)." And I said, "YES, YES, YES."

Hence. AL does not fit in my life at all. If I want to model clothes, than that is my motivation to ditch bad food and keep AL far far far away. Neither one will help me in this next journey.

You know, when I used to date, I kept myself up physically, but when I broke up with longtime boyfriend, I thoufht, "ach, who cares?" Well, now I do. I'm on top of the world. Thank you for being here with me.:l

Comment

WHOO HOO RUSTY GIRL!!!! Wow, that came out of nowhere didn't it! I'm so happy for you and I think you should start the modeling right now! Do the Sept show-be happy how you look in those clothes right now and I guarantee the pounds will melt off!! Wow wow wow!! :h

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Happy Blue Moon Friday Gang!

Yes Lav I've been all over the place too the last couple of days and had some crazy dreams last night. Im quite excited as we are hoping for a clear night tonight and its soooo long since I saw a full moon without the horrid glare of street lights and of course there are none now where im living so I will see it in all its glory.

Papmom - Thanks for your take on the pigeon hunting. You are absolutely right in that since I moved back to the UK Elle has not been able to run free and she is loving her new freedom. I guess Im just not used to having her kill anything and as someone who escorts the flies out the house instead of swatting them Im not good with that sort of thing. We have loads of game in the area and Elle is fascinated with all the partridges running around. I never considered her a "bird-dog" but you may just have right guessed this. I need to get more used to the country living. Having been born & raised in a city im rather niave. Hoping you get a good price for the jeep. :l

Rusty!!! I love your story! What a wonderful compliment to recieve, you must look absolutely fabulous and wow I bet that beautiful skin is glowing without the intake of AL anymore. Maybe you could have a portfolio put together and approach other brands. Im so excited to have a poster girl as my friend! You rock

Dill - Im a great S&G fan, the Sound of Silence I think is my fav and I decided at aged 12 that I wanted it played at my funeral.
                                (Yes I was a weird kid :H)

TDN - You sound amazing! I love early mornings too, I never tire of waking up with the gratititude of no hangover and I hope I appreciate it forever.

Star - i have been having real "woman's issues" since the start of the year and was thinking it was peri menopause. I have had a scan at the hospital and it seems something else is going on, I now have to wait for a further scan before they will explain exactly whats what. I did a project in my course re diet which can improve menopausal symptoms and will dig it out and PM you with it, anything is worth a try. Dr Christianne Northrup from Hayhouse has great info on this too so check her website out if you havent already.

I love all the September suggestions and especially loved LBH's "Smart" and Lav's "Simply" for inclusion in the title. This could be our longest heading ever!:H

LBH - Yes, Stupid & Smashed perfectly sum up my previous life as does Sinful Shenanigans!

All is well here although I have a challenging weekend ahead as two of Mr S's children are coming to visit. :egad: his daugther is 19 and about to move to London, I already met her and she was very aloof. His son who I have also met is 12 and was very warm and friendly and I will have to get used to him coming to stay every other weekend.....

Good bye to August and bring on September!
                                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                                NF - May 1996

Comment

Working...
                                X