April Achievers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April Achievers!

Hi gang, Quick Check in ~ So, my appointment is on THURSDAY...Thanks for the loving thoughts though.

FYI: I sent an email advising administrators that the site was down, again. I woke with an email this am letting me know they were 'on it', so at least we know someone is out there doing their thang! Kinda weird that its been going on so much lately, aliens must be really working on their experimentations

Do ticks pose problems for humans Dill? How many critters do you have? I am considering fostering for our local humane society once I get this health thing situation (hopefully).

Pap, are you single? I am at the moment, liking it VERY MUCH thank you

Did the sun ever make its appearance Lav? It's still poopy outside here. So. Tired. Of. This. Does it mean that summer will be that much longer? That, would be ok!

Hope the rest of the crew is doing well too :l

Take care all, P.
    "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

April Achievers!

Well, Good Morning ABBERS!
      Snow/rain mix last night, high winds. Lucky, our power stayed on and it doesn't look like we ahd any wind damage at home. But I'll have to check tonight when it is light outside. (I leave for work at 0-dark thirty each day)
      I got my laptop back last night (had the hard drive replaced) but I am still flummoxed as to getting the backup restored. then MWO was down...not a good combination.

Pers-take care, hang tough. And yes, ticks can pose a problem to humans. Out in my part of the country, they carry rocky mountain spotted fever. Nasty stuff.

Lav- I'm with you, the prices for produce are way too high! But Mrs BHOG and I have this thing about eating healthy, so we pay the price and complain. And fuel...nasty words here. Why I remember when I started driving, gas was 10-12 cents per gallon.

Papmom-don't think I know you yet, but hello from Utah!

Well, that is it for now, Abbers! Have a great day
      Stay Strong!
      BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

April Achievers!

BHOG, You can't be a hundred years old :H :H
        Gas was around .35-.36/gal when I started driving in the fall of 1969! I always remember friends passing a hat around looking for donations

It is SUNNY & WARM here today - not bad!
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

April Achievers!

Started driving in 1964.
          "Gas price war" had driven the cost down to 10-12 per gallon for the summer.
          Southeast Colorado.
          BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

April Achievers!

I think I was still playing with Barbie dolls that summer BHOG :H :H

I just put this on the AF Daily thread but wanted to tell you guys as well

Well this day has turned out different from what I expected BUT with anything that involves my son, this is typical
            He got home from work 5 min after I arrived to watch the kids so we changed plans. I brought the oldest home with me because he loves to hang out with Mi Mom. My son had to take the younger one Will to the pediatrician for a check up. Guess what? The pediatrician now thinks that Will's symptoms match those of a bout of botulism! They are now searching for a state lab to do some testing (local labs do not do the testing). I knew all along there was some neurological component to what was ailing him.

Signs and Symptoms
            In patients for whom botulism is a food-borne infection, it may progress rapidly. It often begins with feelings of weakness and loss of muscle tone that spread through the body.

Children may have:
            •Blurred or double vision
            •A dry mouth
            •Drooping eyelids
            •Difficulty swallowing and speaking
            The toxin can cause paralysis of the trunk, arms, legs, and respiratory system. In these food-borne infections, symptoms start soon after the contaminated food is eaten—typically within 12 to 48 hours.

Now, I have no idea how or where they are going to be able to trace the source - they probably won't be able to but the good news is that he is improving slowly. We need to remain supportive & gently shove him along. He really has lost a good 9-12 months of physical abiility/strength.

So I guess I know what my newest MiMom job is going to be!
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

April Achievers!

That is an interesting possibility regarding Will, Lav; it does sound as though the rehab will be straightforward. I remember my mother telling me that I had some sort of hospitalization at sixteen months and lost a lot of ground but learned to authoritatively count to twenty practicing walking up steps in Washington DC which sounded really funny to people passing by. I caught up (and then some) with all the attention and I am sure Will will also. I'll be thinking of you P1, I have had some scary tests and concerns of late, and for me the not knowing has actually been more disabling than just dealing with what is. Dill helped me discover Eckhart Tolle a couple of years ago and it has helped me immeasurably as my head can be a nightmare. Things here are generally good, my baby veggie plants are straining at their pots and I am trying to convince them to slow down until it is safer to move outside. Those tiny seeds won't be denied. I bought two iron topiary frames this morning to integrate some of the pretty peppers into my front yard perennial beds and new saucers to replace the leaky ones holding my orchids in the laundry room, I love little hunting and gathering trips for the urban homestead. I am thinking about ordering a commercial shopping cart (those small steel ones "common in liquor stores") so I can bump along the asphalt to the Food Co-Op about a mile away; there is a good hill for exercise and lots of coffee shops to fuel my stalking of dinner. I shall attempt a classy presentation of skirt and bag and cart for Rusty. Love to all, Ladybird.
              may we be well

Comment

April Achievers!

Hi to all.

Lav-lots of love and thoughts going to Will. What a twist on his story! If anyone can bring him back to where he should be its you.

LBh-What a visual with the shopping cart LOL!!

P1-OK, great thoughts and prayers still coming at you. And yes, ticks are a horrible thing for humans and dogs alike. Please be careful wherever you are and take precautions. Frontline is the weapon of choice for dogs but is a very toxic chemical and many people think it has lost its efficacy but there aren't a lot of choices out there.

BHOG-you'll get to know me soon enough!!

Dill-was it nice and warm in OH today too? I wish I had taken 10 min out of my busy day to just go sit outside.

Honeymoon is over at work. Don't think I'll be getting my raise. More later when I have more time.
                New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

April Achievers!

Hello AA's,
                  Yes, P1, as BHOG said, ticks can be a problem for humans. There's a deer tick that causes illness for us here in Ohio. But aside from that, it's just GROSS to have on embedded in your skin. They attach themselves and gorge themselves on blood. Disgusting!

BHOG, I started driving in '68 when gas was 35 cents. When the gas shortages came during the Carter years I was on a college campus and we weren't able to have cars there due to limited parking so I missed out on all the lines.

Lav, that's interesting that they are thinking botulism. I agree with LBH, he will regain his lost skills and then some!

Papmom, yes it was lovely in Ohio yesterday. I did get outside at noon for a 15 minute walk. My regular walking partner was absent due to pneumonia so I went solo. At the end of the walk I joined a group of preschoolers who were sitting outside in the grass playing "Duck, Duck, Goose!" They were insistent that I have a turn, so I got a little run in addition to my walk!:H

LBH, do you get emails from the Chopra Center? They are advertising a live-streamed conversation between Tolle and Deepak. I'm sure that would be interesting, but I probably won't sign up for it. There is a charge for the event. Thank you for the shopping cart image!

Peace and strength to all.
                  Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

April Achievers!

Good morning friends

Waking up slowly this morning but I'll get there :H

Had another one of those late night calls from my sister-in-law about my brother last night.
                    There is little to no hope for my brother at this point, he is on a downward slide yet the surgeon still wants to start amputating. I told her it is perfectly OK for her to refuse & just allow him to live out the rest of his days in hospice with comfort measures only...........
                    Then there is this weird situation with Will. No wonder my nights are filled with crazy dreams

LBH, that shopping cart sounds like a great idea!
                    I'm glad you live where something like that would be useful. When I walk a mile in any direction all I see is cows, corn, more cows, more corn :H

Papmom, no raise? Oh no!
                    I hope something comes thru for you

Dill, glad you enjoyed some outside time too. Yesterday was perfect, 80 degrees & sunny
                    Playing with the preschoolers sounds like fun!!!!

Wishing everyone a peaceful AF Wednesday!
                    I'm off to Curves, then a trip to Longwood to meet my girls then back here at some point for a bit of work.

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

April Achievers!

LBH ~ LOVE the cart idea :H may have to borrow it. BTW, aren't co~ops divine perfection? Can't wait to start my own garden. Some. Day. *Sigh*

So sorry to hear about your brother Lav. Hospice really Is wonderful, they are angelic IMO. Bizarre news about your Will. Is botulism something that can totally heal? Mi~Ma's ARE the Best Medicine, fer shure :h

Dill, I was born in Massillon…u anywhere near there? I hope you nip that tick problem in the bud, yucky stuff.

Hello Pap, Rusty, Star, Cyn and BHOG (and all others) How's is life in your neck of the woods? Please show your lovely 'faces', we miss you :l….Bloody cold and stormy here. Depressing…

I think I'm the relative 'newbie' to this fine group, as I'm approaching 3 months ! Now that the fog is lifting I'm noticing some interesting things. Hope it's ok and not too boring to share with yiz? I will spare you and only start with one…I trust that if its too much of a snooze~fest you just won't respond and I will take the hint :H

I have a childhood friend (male) who is a lifelong and totally platonic friend. He lives in So. Cal and I in Michigan. We used to have 'drinks and chats' on the phone about once a week. I've shared with him that I quit and why and he totally gets it. However, he still drinks and is unemployed ATM, so probably drinking more than he should (self~admitted). Talking to him as of late is excruciating. He's a 'know~it~all', typical testosterone~filled neanderthal~ish guy who thinks he's super evolved & progressive in his thinking. I really don't enjoy talking to him anymore. I have been avoiding him and don't really know what to do. I don't even like admitting it to myself, much less seeing the written words. Anyone else go through this after getting sober? Or am I being to critical? I dunno. Thoughts are appreciated...

Well, fingers and toes crossed for tomorrow. I am gonna set up an acupuncture appt. too for good measure. I feel SO blessed to a part of this group. Sincerely. Thank you.

P.
                      "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

Comment

April Achievers!

"I have a childhood friend (male) who is a lifelong and totally platonic friend. He lives in So. Cal and I in Michigan. We used to have 'drinks and chats' on the phone about once a week. I've shared with him that I quit and why and he totally gets it. However, he still drinks and is unemployed ATM, so probably drinking more than he should (self~admitted). Talking to him as of late is excruciating. He's a 'know~it~all', typical testosterone~filled neanderthal~ish guy who thinks he's super evolved & progressive in his thinking. I really don't enjoy talking to him anymore. I have been avoiding him and don't really know what to do. I don't even like admitting it to myself, much less seeing the written words. Anyone else go through this after getting sober? Or am I being to critical? I dunno. Thoughts are appreciated..."

Pers- I went through this with my best (adult) friend. Seems if my changing changed the way he looked at me...we have sadly, been drifitng apart since then. And if our drinking was the main thing that held us together....? (and no, this is NOT my spouse)
                        BHOG

Comment

April Achievers!

Hi All,
                          P1-it happened to me too. I had a couple I met through my dogs. They used to stop by for a few days in their RV on their way to Northern New England (they live in NY by the CT border). They would camp in my driveway and we would have really good times hanging out on the deck, playing with our dogs, visiting and.... drinking. A lot. When I stopped and told them, they only came by one more time. It was kind of awkward, conversation was slightly stilted so besides the dogs, I guess it was the AL that bound us together. They still camp and have been going out west and south the past year or so so maybe that's it. We still communicate via email so it's not like the friendship died and I still like them and respect them even tho they drink WAY too much for the health problems they have and for my comfort zone. We just aren't as close as we once were and that's OK. Que sera sera. I know others on this thread have cut ties completely with "friends" after they went AF as the friendships no longer had any substance. It happens and it's best not to waste your time and energy on former drinking buddies IMHO.

I haven't been told for sure there will be no raise but I'm preparing for the worst. Her 2 main issues were "chronic lateness" (really? 5 out of 75 days I was no more than 15 min late and mostly just 5? How many times have I stayed way past quitting time?) and I was getting too "chummy" with the admin staff. Her plan is to turn over supervision of them to me and she doesn't think I can be effective if we chat about personal stuff. Small office, I was getting to know them but whatever. Technically she is pleased with my work but isn't sure about my ability to be a "role model" as she puts it. So, the job has become that, just a job. I will be 15 minutes early every day (the admin staff also suffers from chronic lateness and chronic leave earliness according to her) to show the staff how its done and there will be no more conversation unless it involves work related subjects. I barely spoke to anyone today. I was polite but did not even go near personal subjects. She has also shown her ego which I really had hoped was not part of her personality as I am sick to death of supervisors that have to be right all the time and are better than anyone else. If that is what it takes to be a supervisor, no thank you. I really should be in business for myself as I obviously can't get along with supervisors. It has to be me, not them.
                          So, maybe in another month, after being the person she wants me to be, I'll get my review and my raise. Feel very let down right now and jaded and it's only been 2.5 months. It took so much longer in my other jobs to get to this point. Other than the personnel issues, I do like the actual work part of my job. I'm good at it and I'm learning new skills. Just goes to show you that having great skills, being nice and personable gets you nowhere.

My brother stopped by on his way home and took a look at the paphut. He doesn't think the rot is structurally dangerous but then again he can't tell how extensive it is. It is on the bottom exterior frame so we just can't know unless we peel the skin back and jack up the floor off the frame. He thinks I should put it on Craig's list and hope to get what I put into it back. He doesn't think I should put anymore work into it and at this point I agree. I have one thing to do this weekend just because I may have screwed up the repacking of the bearings 2 years ago and I want to make sure that aspect of towing it is safe. Once I check that out, I will put it up for sale. Sniff. I sure wish I could save enough for a more modern camper before my Jeep gets too old (and me) but that's a pipe dream I'm afraid. Too many debts to pay first and no money to do it with.
                          On the bright side kitty is holding his own even tho it is now impossible to give him subq's. I get the needle in him ok, the minute I open the flow he goes wild. sigh.
                          My hoarder friend lost another dog Monday morning. died in her sleep. She was a boarder collie, 16 and hadn't really been well for a while. Last time she lost a dog she got 2 puppies. Wonder what she'll get this time. I've given up. No more judgments or trying to help. She doesn't want it.
                          So that's what's happening with me. It's pouring out right now-glad I got the yard poop scooped when I got home! :H

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

April Achievers!

Giving up toxic friends is a big part of the growing process I think
                            Why keep someone in your life who doesn't care about your wants & needs, only their own??

Papmom, I'm hearing a hint of negativity.....
                            Let's keep you in 'thinking positive mode', OK?
                            People have all sorts of management techniques, not all of them are good
                            If nothing else I was always considered 'fair'. As the unit manager I was supposed to be sure the staff nurses arrived on time. Most of them did, one didn't but she was also a single mother of 5!!!!! It was perfectly understandable why she often ran a little late while trying to get those 5 kids ready for school each morning. Hell, I only had 2 kids to deal with & that was enough!
                            Hang in there ~ I bet things will improve for you
                            Have you signed up for the FB MWO Interim group? I'll send you an invitation if you like. Nelz got it started so we have some place to go if this website shuts down for any reason.
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

April Achievers!

Hi Papmom,

Sorry you are struggling with the work stuff. When I left CO 1 year ago I was in a job very similar, well probably far worse actually. My boss was a woman, a narcissist and abusive. The person who received the majority of her wrath was her husband, a mere employee, just to give you an idea. She loved marching him out in front of the staff and scolding him like a child :sulk:. It was pitiful. She was highly critical and pointed out every flaw & error and rarely praised anyone of her small staff. I quit after the first 3 weeks, was pleaded with to stay, given a raise and ended up there 4 years. WTF? I cared for their home, their dogs, and the company at times. And I tolerated SO much BS. But no one had a gun to my head, mind you. Apparently, I believed that I deserved this treatment. When I came home to take care of my mom as she passed away and then I got sober, I realized how important All the relationships in our lives are. I walked away from 2 of them at that time: my live~in boyfriend and my employer. My entire life was surrounded with dysfunction and I was at the center of it. I will not put myself in another oppressive relationship again. WE set the standard for how people treat us, no?

My 2 cents ~ Can you try and objectively evaluate this situation?
                              Is it valid?
                              Are you being sensitive?
                              Over~reacting?
                              Or legitimately un/under appreciated?
                              Or maybe all of the above!
                              If there is truth to the feedback that you are given, can you take it for what its worth & try and improve? We can always grow, right?
                              If you are genuinely unhappy, then keep an eye and ear out for the ideal. We should never settle, unless it's temporary & to survive, IMHO.

Being witness to mom's death made me want to LIVE, really LIVE! Particularly because her drinking and smoking is what caused her cancer. And I KNEW that would be me if I didn't make drastic changes, stat! If I can encourage anyone around me, I want to share this 'gift' my mom inadvertently gave me. Do what makes you Happy! Work doesn't have to feel treacherous and it shouldn't make you feel bad about yourself. Go do something that makes you excited to get out of bed everyday. I vow that my next job I will do the same...Pinky swear!

Oh Happy Thursday my Fine Friends. May it be a Warm one :beach:

:l P.

Comment

April Achievers!

thanks Lav! I needed those words this morning. I'm sure I'm just seeing the dark side right now because I'm pissed at myself for upsetting her and disappointing her. Mostly about the tardiness. I really think she should have let me find my own way with the staff. It will get better.

Yes, please send me an invite.

Hope everyone has a great day and that its gorgeous wherever you are. We've got the April Showers going on here!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Working...
                                X