X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

juicing july week 4

Good morning all & happy Friday

Overcast but cooler this morning so I won't go looking for the sun

Star & Cyn, I can't quite explain why Rick Hanson's writings intrigue me so much, perhaps it's just the simplicity. I always feel calmer & more directed after reading his work. Did I ever mention YB's favorite author is Stephen King? :H:H

Enjoy your outside time today Star!

Cyn, doggie doors sound really neat! Of course I can just picture my big dog getting stuck in one :H

Speaking of my big dog, I'm taking Maxie back to the vet this afternoon to see how/if her month on thyroid medication has helped at all. My guess is NO!

Have a great day everyone! Greetings Rusty, papmom, Witts, Dill & everyone!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

juicing july week 4

morning all .....saturday here

having a good day again sun's out and daughters coming gradndaughter is here to ride and look after her horse

have a big dat to-day have to empty the back of my ute........has a load of garden mix in it for the veggy garden ...getting ready for spring planting
      have a good week-end everyone and thank you everyone for all your help

Comment

juicing july week 4

Good morning friends!

One dog woke me up at 4 am, the other at 6:30 ~ swell.
        I guess I really didn't want to sleep anyway

Witts, hope you got your chores done! I love planting a veggie garden but I don't love attacking the weeds when it gets so hot out. Today is cooler so I think I will get out there soon

Saw papmom posting on Facebook last night. She was frustrated dealing with heavy traffic on her way out of town I hope the rest of her trip is much better!

OK, a bit more coffee then out I go!
        Have a great AF Saturday everyone.

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

juicing july week 4

Good morning to all...

Gloomy weekend weatherwise, trying to enjoy the change, but wanted more pool time!!! Good book, curled up on the couch last night, same for tonight, as low in the 40s. Lav, cooler weather is coming your way, I hope.

Lav, I too love Rick Hansen's writings, Kabat-Zinn, they promote kindness, peace, healthy living, and compassion, all based on science. I feel peaceful and going in the right direction, following their suggestions.

Cyn, lots of traveling in your life...doggy doors make sense. I can't imagine you could travel, write, keep up with all you are managing, if you were not AF. Lovely that your stepdaughter will live closer. Issues with my son will be ongoing, they have been ongoing, it is just how to manage. Thanks for your sentiments.

Wittsend, you sound better and better. Lovely family time, being there for yourself and loved ones is the best.

To all, have a great day.
          Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

juicing july week 4

I'll accept that weather of yours Star with open arms :H
            My electric bill for this month is horrendous due to non-stop air conditioning!

I really am looking forward to Rick Hanson's book release in October
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

juicing july week 4

Good Sunday Morning Juicers,

It's overcast and cold today so I think I will get all my business work wrapped up. I kept putting it off and using the lovely weather as an excuse!:H

Witts-a very belated CONGRATULATIONS ON ALMOST 9 WEEKS AF!!!:yay::wd: You are such a wonderful addition to our thread. Hope you had a wonderful time with your granddaughter yesterday.

Cyn-I read your response to Dill's question about whether you could still write, travel, etc. if you were not AF, and since I was a full-time journalist for several years, get this book Drunkard by Neil Steinberg. He was a columnist for one of the Chicago newspapers, and he talks about all his liquid lunches, and I just cannot imagine how he could a)write columns b) keep his job. It was a book I simply could not put down. I am so happy for you that you are thriving, your stepdaughter is moving closer, and I am most intrigued by your new part-time job.:goodjob: Delighted also to hear that you were in Madison, as I was a journalist there in the late 80s. I am really grateful to you, Cyn, because when I struggled with staying AF, you always had kind words for me.:h

Dill-regarding those thoughts that you and Star often have about your sons, "Could I have done things better/differently?" My mom has these thoughts often about my oldest brother, who was the oldest, and I am sorry to say, a sociopath and a despicable person. She felt that if my dad had not been so hard on him, he would have turned out differently. We have all tried to tell her that this is not so. I believe that you can do the best job you can as a parent but you really don't know how your kids will process all that good information. Also, I must get Best Kept Secret.
              I am always looking for good books to sink my teeth into.

Lav-Yikes, I just looked at my electric bill $261.72. AC on full-blast!!!

Star-I know having your son live with you is hard. I just admire you for the way you manage it. My friend's son lives in an apartment, and she told me the other day they just dread the day he has to move back home.

Pap-I hope you're having fun with your competition this weekend.

Well, to work I go. I hope everyone has a lovely AF Sunday (or Monday in a few hours for Witts! )

Mr. G-if you're out there, stop in and say hello. :-)

Comment

juicing july week 4

Whoops-Cyn-I think the doggy doors are a great idea!

Lav-I have been meaning to mention this to you for a very long time. I used to think that when you and other long-time AF people said it was easier to just accept that you can't drink again v. fighting it all the time, that you all must have been wrong. I had it ingrained in my head that it was submission....a sign of weakness. I used to lurk on this thread, and the Daily Thread (4 years ago) and think, "I'll never be like them. I'll never give in." I must say now that I'm humbled. The acceptance is not a sign of weakness. It gave me the freedom to move on with my life, in a positive way. All that fighting I did with myself about moderating, can I or can't I, should I or shouldn't I....was a colossal waste of time. A very belated thanks to you. Star also made a huge impact on me, 'accepting life on life's terms." Star, you have a knack for saying the right thing at the right time. I'm very grateful for that.

Comment

juicing july week 4

Good morning friends,

I finally turned the AC off yesterday & spent most of the day sweating like a pig but it's cooler this morning :H
                  Rusty, my electric bill was $403

I had a real hard time with the concept of Acceptance too but I was following the words & wisdom of the elders here at the time. Doggy Girl & greeneyes challenged me to just take the leap, give it a try, so I did. I had such a horrendous fear of quitting, it really made no sense at the time. To be perfectly honest here, I feared not being able to put up with YB's damn goofy behavior! I know I started drinking like a crazy woman to dull the emotional pain & overall disappointment of I was feeling. In other words - I was beating myself up because HE was acting like an ass
                  Look at the situation now - he's still an ass & I am free of addictions

Greetings to everyone here, hope you all have a great AF Sunday.
                  Now I get to go to the supermarket, oh joy!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

juicing july week 4

Top 7 Tips To Deal With Change

I have been wanting to share this with all of you since early last month, when we had our annual conference in Dayton. We had an excellent speaker and her speech was on how to deal with change in our lives. I thought her top 10 tips were excellent. However, I only wrote down, and can only remember, 7.:H Feel free to add on to the list. I think these tips are pertinent for us to achieve, and maintain, our AF status.

1) Stay away from vampires (terminally negative people). I'm getting better at this. So far, I have cut 3 terminally negative people out of my life. Have a few more to go, though.

2) Ask for help. I didn't do this for the longest time. Too proud. Too ashamed.

3) Think about what will work for you. You don't care what other people think. I used to do this. Not anymore. I think it is long-term abstainer One2Many (or maybe it's Startingover) who says, "What you think of me is none of my business!!" I like that mantra.

4) Stop comparing yourself to others-USELESS ACTIVITY. Used to do this. Not anymore.

5) Keep an open mind. I am doing this.

6) Accept change. Finally, I am doing this. It only took about 6 years!:H

7) Be the change. Yes! Working on this, with the help of my friends here.

Lav-you post many profound thoughts, but this by far is the most powerful post to help people who desperately want to be AF, for those not sure IF they should be AF, and for those of us already AF, who want to help others. I printed this out and it's in your e-file. Thank you.:l

Originally posted by Lav:
                    I had a real hard time with the concept of Acceptance too but I was following the words & wisdom of the elders here at the time. Doggy Girl & greeneyes challenged me to just take the leap, give it a try, so I did. I had such a horrendous fear of quitting, it really made no sense at the time. To be perfectly honest here, I feared not being able to put up with YB's damn goofy behavior! I know I started drinking like a crazy woman to dull the emotional pain & overall disappointment of I was feeling. In other words - I was beating myself up because HE was acting like an ass
                    Look at the situation now - he's still an ass & I am free of addictions

Thank you!

Comment

juicing july week 4

Hello AF friends,
                      Somehow this weekend has gotten away from me. I'm so busy with the g-kids that I haven't been able to find time to post. I'm making the time right now!

Lav, I had to chuckle the other day when you talked about your granddaught and her bad habits. I swear we live mirror lives. My g-daughter is so headstrong and also has lots of behaviors that I am working to change!:h Thanks again for the reminder of Power of Now. I did revisit it. I'll check out Buddha's Brain, too.

Star, I finished Night Road and Fly Away. I liked Night Road best. A friend recommended a book to me the other day which I put on hold at the library. This friend usually recommends good reads. I'll let you know if I like it. It's called Love Anthony and it's about a child with autism.

Rusty, I finally watched Days of Wine and Roses. OMG, that was a powerful movie. I think I was right to be anxious about watching it, but I'm glad I overcame the anxiety. And you are right that it isn't always the parent's "fault". I agree. Sorry your bro is such a mess! I had one brother that I loved dearly, but I always wondered how he ended up in our family.:H He was a very different thinker, to put it mildly. Thanks for posting the tips about change. Very helpful.

Witts did you get your car emptied?

We have been enjoying cooler temps and low humidity here in southern Ohio. We took the opportunity to go boating in such pleasant and breezy weather. It was fantastic! But too cool to go swimming.

Have a pleasant AF Sunday.
                      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

juicing july week 4

hello eveyone I did empty the ute but went to town testerday and got another load .....half emptied
                        I love gardening but the weeds usually beat me
                        I'm hoping this year will be good .......just got a new pump on the dam for the garden ... thats a plus
                        I have all this cardboard laid down to suppress the weeds ....where my pumpkins and corn go ....makes it easier to dig up also ........anyway I'm giving it another go

Comment

Working...
                        X