Optimistic October - AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all -

Just a quick one here, lots to do before I pack everything up and get on my way. I wish I had help, Star! It's just me - everyone will be coming from their work. But the 'guest of honor' is so excited and blown away that 25 of her friends will be there to see her. My main worry now is how to get everything from one hi-rise building to the one next door where the party room is.... I think the only access has steps, so no rollering a luggage cart. Oh well, we'll see! ( And I'm a little worried about driving in the city, but it's pretty close to the a good entrance into the city -- we'll see. Send some angels my way, will you all?

Sorry you lost your post, Lav, shoot. Pauly, how is Kell doing? I have been thinking about her. Interesting about Michelle - kids gotta explore, I guess. Star - happy weekend, and cheers on day 68. You go girl, and stay safe and sound this weekend.

More after I get through today! Will be back in home sometime late tomorrow ---- wishing all well...

Comment

Morning friends, Cyn,good luck on the transport and please fill Star and I in on the menu later Lav,that was a cute little egg haha,it's funny cuz after you shared the link for the food sensitivity test I read an article about it in ELLE magazine and I guess they can test for a whole slew of things,Star,congrats on your 68 days, I like feeling better too and not having to be sneaky and hide things, that's a biggie for me,feeling a bit meh today, maybe it's the gloomy weather, maybe I'm worried about Michelle going, maybe it's nearly TOM time,grrr,feel like I just dealt with that crap!! Hope everyone has a lovely AF Friday
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening friends,

Working on my iPad tonight & not my crappy old laptop so maybe I won't lose this post, ha ha!
        I don't even remember what I was blabbing about last night, probably not important.
        Chilly, seasonal weather here after some rain yesterday but it's heading back up to 70 for the weekend, crazy.

Star, awesome on your 68 days, you've got this
        I have never been seriously tempted to drink since my quit despite some of the major BS in my life. I guess I was serious when I said yo myself 'NO MORE'. It never ever helped anything & I am grateful I finally got that message.

Cyn, I wish I could give you a hand, geez. Good luck with everything today!

Pauly, I probably am going to order that home test kit when I have some spare time & money. I really would like to know what else, besides dairy & soy that I could be sensitive to if I want to feel my absolute best. Hope you are feeling OK

Well, it's 8:30 & I am still in my shop working. 'Tis the season!
        Wishing everyone a peaceful night. Hi to Dill too.

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning all...

Woke up at 5 am today and I can sleep in, so here is my post with lots of time today. Saturday and our project guy is coming over to put in five window blinds, it is going to look so nice, I am excited. I will have to miss my yoga class, darn, but this is important to get done, the final house project of 2016. It is supposed to be pleasant out today, 60s and sunny, what a perfect fall day. I want to get the cleaning and grocery shopping done today so we can see our grandson tomorrow, and will be busy getting it all done. Love a great unhung Saturday!

Cyn, hope everything went well with the dinner, what a wonderful thing to do for a friend. I'll bet NYC is just beautiful this time of year! Have fun.

Pauly, thanks for the support on the now 69 days, I am just moving along this time in being AF. My husband and I were talking and this time is different, if we get a craving, we are thinking it through to the end and the end is misery. Alcohol does not help us to relax, feel better, have fun, it just makes us sick. Period. RE: your daughter leaving for a few months, I would be nervous about that situation too, but what can you do? Not a whole lot. My son is making a few decisions that annoy me, but I am just trying to let him figure it out. I did wake up today and my first thought was concern about him. I guess as a mother it just happens. I was able to reign in my thoughts though, let them pass through and move on. Hey, I was going to say I really liked how you set some limits in another thread. You were honest and firm, and hopefully the person got the message. That took courage.

Lav, you sound so busy working on your embroidery, hope you are making the moola and having fun being creative. This weekend is supposed to be just beautiful, cool and sunny, what a great Halloween it will be. I have to get a ton of candy, and made arrangements to get off a little early to get home and hand out candy. I love seeing the little kids dressed up and excited. You are so lucky that you became AF and never looked back, I wish I had not wasted so much time, but now realize that I am done, just done. I have other changes to make in my life, but in 2016 I quit smoking for good too, so just need to keep moving forward. I want to say I appreciate your sharing how you manage when you do get major BS in your life as we all do. Sometimes it just helps to hear others stories, and MWO is a lifesaver in that respect. I am also happy that the four of us left on this thread are making an effort to keep it going. This is a positive force in my life and I am willing to come here daily to support and be supported!

Thanks to all here, have a great AF Saturday.

Comment

Morning friends, Cyn,how'd it turn out? Star,it's true that there's absolutely nothing I can do about Michelle, yesterday she called me and said she and he bf were fighting and she needed a ride,then she calls and said she doesn't need a ride,first of all I'm thinking what if he pulls that shit when she's clear across the country, second, I barely know him or what he's capable of, I woke up at 3 am in a panic cuz I text her before bed saying that I hope everything is ok and I love her, she never text back,so of course my minds going all hog wild with worry, finally fell back asleep for an hour or so but still sheesh, did you use the patch or anything to quit smoking? Or cold turkey? I need to get a grip on it but I still like smoking but I don't,it's confusing,Lav,I think after the holidays I'll order that food sensitivity test, just out of curiosity, I think I'm sensitive to coconut, dairy and probably gluten but I love bread too much so I'm in denial on that one,hope everyone has a nice AF Saturday

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hey all -

Well, that was an interesting 27 hours! I'm home! Thanks for all your good thoughts and sending angels - it worked, I got into and out of the city without incident, and really without a lot of worry. I am so proud of myself regarding the dinner; it worked out to pack it and finish cooking, move it over to the other building, pack it back up, move it , clean up, pack it up this morning and put it in the car and drive home. Woo Hoo!

Menu: Chicken Veneziana (chicken pieces with onions in a white wine sauce, Wild rice with shallots and sour cream, black bean mushroom lasagna, Thanksgiving salad (greens, fennel, cranberries, candied walnuts, clementine segments with a raspberry dressing), custardy-cornbread, and brownies for dessert. Apple cider, pellegrino, wine for bevs. Whew!

I'm home, all leftovers are in the fridge, i fed the dogs and made a cup of tea. I'm off the clock - going to watch some nice episode of something BBC -ish.

Star, sounds like a great Saturday. Pauly - I hear your worry, I hope all turns out well. Lav - you are sure keeping busy! Hello to Dill.

Thanks again to all for all the good thoughts.

Comment

Greetings friends,

Had a nice day here including a visit from daughter & family.
                It was so nice out at 70 degrees I grilled turkey burgers & sausage outside!! I also made a bowl of chickpea pasta salad, my new fav
                Pasta made of chickpeas instead of wheat flour is awesome & it provides 11 gms of protein per serving. Served on top of a bed of lettuce with lots of veggies makes a perfect vegan feast!

Star, you sound so very happy with both your quits. Keep the feeling going with a daily dose of gratitude, works wonders. I hope the home project went well today.
                I miss having trick or treaters, they don't do that out on these country roads, understandable.
                I gave my granddaughter her Halloween bag stitched up with cool designs & her favorite treats. I have bags for the boys of course, guess I'll just drop them off on their porch, I don't know.

Pauly, is there a purpose & reason for Michelle going to Florida? Is this a work related thing or just fun? I would be worried too but there is not much we can do to restrain adult children, is there? I think I could see myself wishing her a safe trip but also reminding her that she is on her own as far as money goes. We used to tell our kids 'the bank of mom & dad is closed', ha ha!

Cyn, you deserve a medal, a big medal for pulling off that dinner. Goodness, what a woman!!! You did a great job & your menu was awesome
                I hope you give yourself the rest of the weekend off!!

Hello to Dill, hope you are well.

Peace to all tonight!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Day 70 AF, I am so happy about this, the benefits are amazing...sleeping soundly, blood pressure down(I can feel it), long lovely evenings to enjoy, house in order, no guilt, shame or remorse. I am protecting my quit with all I have this time, I am determined not to ever go back. Today we are visiting family, then coming home and relaxing, I am making a new recipe, lentil and sausage soup, in the crock pot, enough for a few days. My goal this week is to eat less and at home, no going out till at least the weekend. I eat too much when I go out. The new blinds in the house look so good, so glad I got that done.

Pauly, you asked about quitting smoking. I still like cigarettes too, even the smell sometimes, BUT my friend died directly of smoking cigarettes. I never smoked till night time and not every day, and when I did, I was having immediate problems with breathing and feeling sick, so set a date and 1)told my family 2)got rid of any cigarettes, 3)every time I craved one I would take a few deep breaths-reminded me of gasping for air and the literal hell my friend went through for three years with COPD and emphysema. I am breathing just fine and like smelling good. I can smell too, for a time I had lost my sense of smell. Regarding your daughter, that is a tough one. You want to keep the door open, but her relationships, not being stable, make it hard not to worry. I guess being there to listen and setting firm boundaries so as not to be brought into the chaos...I try to do that but it does not always work the way I would like. Being a mom is a tough job. Hope your weekend is going well.

Lav, what a nice day, where can you find chickpea pasta? Sounds good. Leaving some bags for the grandsons sounds like a good idea. It was lovely here too yesterday, today we are going to have a weather change with rain and cooler temps. That is OK too, it is the end of October after all.

Cyn, what a delicious dinner, thanks for sharing that menu wow. Nice you got home and could relax with your doggies. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Have a good one.

Comment

Morning all -

The first thing I saw this morning was a beautiful sunrise emerge in the sky behind my neighbor's sweet little house as I opened the shades and looked across the street. Truly 'awesome'. It reminds me to be grateful for the gift of sight - what a rich existence we have.

Star - I was so surprised to hear that you used to smoke! Great job with that quit - I know that it is a very hard. I think you are very wise -- to watch my mom (who never smoked a day in her life) struggle with copd, be on oxygen in the hospital, and then end up on a ventilator was a heart-wrenching thing. (And yet, my SIL is still smoking... with 8 grandchildren, and about to retire, a new house and lots of friends; I just don't get it.) And yet I know the chemical addiction is so strong, and so hard to break - so I congratulate you! And so glad to hear that you are feeling well living AF.

Pauly - I can see why you would be worried about Michelle - I hope you got some resolution yesterday. It has happened to us when we couldn't get ahold of SD - our minds go in crazy places. Once HB was so worried about her that he called the police. They pounded on her door and she was terrified; when she finally opened the door, the policeman said "Call your father!" I like Lav's idea about the family bank being closed: that got his daughter back home when she took off to CA with a boyfriend and they ran out of money... "Dad, there's no electricity!" Good luck --

Lav - it was sweet to hear that a chicken gave you a little egg - do they really give you eggs all winter? I loved your embroidered bags - really great! Those are some lucky kids... sorry you have to just drop them for the boys. We don't get trick-or-treaters here either - they mostly have parties for the kids at the schools. That's probably safer all the way around. I love the chick=pea pasta idea, I'll have to look for it.

Hi Dill - I thought of you with the pink dawn light --

Wishing all a great AF Sunday --

Comment

Morning friends, I didn't sleep well last night again just dreaming too much and I wake up on and off feeling restless, could be stress or hormones, Michelle hasn't asked for money, I think the new boyfriend has family there and that's why they're going, I'm irritated cuz if they'd lay off the weed they'd be able to get steady jobs but noooooo! Damn kids! Cyn,wanted to say that the menu sounded great,glad it all went off well,Star,we have so many regular customers recently diagnosed with COPD,I think it's on the rise,my smoking is very much just a habit cuz I can go all day at work with nothing, come home have some coffee and 1/2 cig then smoke the other half later,then do 2 more throughout the evening, I'm not the kind who needs a cig when I'm driving or out and about so it's just a matter of breaking the habit,Lav,so sad you hafta dop off the boys'bags on the porch I dunno what she thinks is so unforgivable but she needs to grow up! Dill,hello if you're lurking, I really miss your energy hope everyone has a peaceful AF Sunday

Comment

Good afternoon friends,

Decided to give myself a break today.
                        I have been operating OT with this heavy heart, I don't want to actually hurt myself.
                        I am going go have to disappoint my Curves friends this week & actually forego the craft fair. I am SO far behind with the things I wanted to do & bring. It's just extra added stress & I already have enough of that. YB took his turn trying to communicate with our son this morning & was shot down the same way I was....this is sad.

Star, I pickec up the Explore Cuisine chickpea pasta at Costco, not cheap BUT it makes a perfect vegan meal if that's what you want. I am trying to make my diet more alkaline for the sake of my bones. Chickpeas & chicken both fall into the moderately acidic category but we need some protein. You can also order it on Amazon. 80 degrees here today, cold front & possible thunder storm moving in tonight.
                        I sometimes think I miss smoking but I will never go there again. Pretty sure I don't have another quit in me

Cyn, I have actually gotten three of those tiny eggs today, ha ha!!
                        The chickens do lay all winter but they usually slow down. These girls are just getting their careers started, LOL
                        We do have to draw the line with these adult kids! No one ever gave us a dime, we worked for everything ourselves or did without. Now I really sound like an old fart, ha ha!

Pauly, I found myself waking up repeatedly last night too. I can manage my stress fairly well during the daytime (most of the time) but at night our subconscious takes over so we're kinda screwed. Just keep yourself on your plan & always keep moving forward. Inviting these addictions back into our lives is never helpful.

Hello to Dill, hope you are well.
                        Wishing everyone a great AF rest of the day.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Lav, sending you love and support, I don't understand what the point is in cutting you out, totally understand the stress you are feeling and are under. Good for you in taking time for you as you need it. We can't all do everything all the time, and it is OK. You are right about no point in going back to smoking or drinking, it would not change anything for the better, just create illness. Again, thanks for your common sense and wisdom. You are very cherished on this thread and on MWO straight up. Any suggestions for names in November?

Cyn, yes I smoked off and on since I was 14 years old, what a bad choice. I look back and wish I could change it, but feel so good being away from it now. I have been appreciating the beauty in nature too. The sunrise yesterday was gorgeous, then we drove through the countryside yesterday on the way home and it was stunningly gorgeous, we were just amazed at the color in the trees, truly peak week here. Any special plans this week?

Pauly, sorry to hear your anxiety about your daughter is messing with your sleep, but I get it. I have been waking up thinking about my son and having anxiety, then I have to let those thoughts drift away and focus on something good, and deep breathe to fall back asleep. It happened last night and I woke up really having a hard time waking up. That is what coffee if for, right?

Have a great AF Monday!!!!!

Comment

Morning all -

Lav - I am so sorry that YB got the same treatment from your son. This seems inexcusable in my book, really confounding. OK, if someone has issues, then let it all out and work toward some resolution. I'm so glad that you are giving yourself a little break. Maybe you are being called right now to find a new, deeper care for yourself? You have been there for all of us, all of MWO basically, for your family, and of course doing a great job of taking care of yourself for a long long time. But maybe there's a higher/deeper level that you're being called to. For all the time I've known you on the thread, you have been making it happen for others, and now we all wish the same support for you. Sending you strength and the ability to find a new path.

Pauly - so sorry for the bad sleep, I get that! I'm awakening at all odd hours of the night. But I'm trying to get myself together sleep-wise, since in just a little bit we'll be going through that dang Time-Change, uuugh. I meant to write a few days ago that one of the chapters in the book I'm reading was all about how the 'pledge of allegiance' in some native cultures is instead a long spoken recitation (done by a group or individuals together) that names all the animate things on the earth, and thanks them in gratitude for their gifts to humans. I mean everything -- rivers, water, birds, trees, rain, the three sisters (corn, squash and beans) other crops, etc. What a stunning thing to have as a memorized pledge! And at the end of each section there is the phrase that says "can we agree to join our voices to thank the.....? Yes, our voices are joined." What a way to teach people consensus, community, what is really important in life. Very impressive.

Star - wow, that is quite a lifetime journey of smoking! Fantastic that you have walked away from that into a bright place. November names.... gosh, I feel like we all are seeking some solace from the crazy world... maybe something about 'nesting'? Normal? Nature? New? I can't think! Whatever comes to you...

Comment

Morning friends, Cyn I had to laugh a little at Normal Nov haha,yes we need some "normal" things seem to be on a strange path right now,Kell thinks Michelle's bf is controlling and abusive she says she can spot them right away after being with Lous dad for so long,eeeks! He does seem "off",to me but then so does Michelle, I have a feeling more than just weed is being taken Star,I'm glad you're feeling so good Lav,I wish I had a solution to the family probs but now after you've both been shot down I don't know what to think, Dill,wish you'd check in, the WD was boring last night, wait all week in anticipation and it was a let down, hope everyone has a nice Halloween, I'm buying a seven layer dip to pig out on

Comment

Good evening friends,

I hope everyone has had a nice Halloween
                                I miss the little trick or treaters but we don't get them out here in cow country. The kids all have their celebrations at their schools.
                                Thanks everyone for your support on this painful family issue. I am not hopeless but I know better than to hold my breath for a resolution. I am asking for some help from the strong women long gone from my life, my mother & grandmother. Maybe they can send a spiritual message of sorts to son & his wife. I miss seeing the kids

Star, stay as happy as you are right now!
                                Life is good when we learn to be grateful & appreciate what we have.
                                I would almost like to skip the month of November for so many reasons, ha ha. Whatever name you pull from your hat works for me

Cyn, it's funny but I have always had the habit for thanking the chickens when I collect eggs. Just seems like the right thing to do. And I have always noticed that my dogs come & 'Thank' me when I feed them. Good manners, huh??
                                It's feeling more seasonal here tonight & I bet you are feeling it too in your area.

Pauly, your seven layer dip is probably tasty but deadly for me, ha ha!
                                I think we are all experiencing sleep difficulties moving from one season into another. Of course the kid stress always makes it worse. We really need to sit down & listen to some guided meditations in the evening.

Dill, hope you are OK.

Wishing everyone a peaceful night!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X