Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AF April Angels

Good morning...

Happy Saturday! Slept really well last night, getting my hair done and then driving to my daughter's. Taking it easy besides that. Still coughing here and there but moving in the right direction.

Thanks Cyn for the reference to Louise Hay, I love her life journey and have a few of her books. I am getting used to the idea of not working for a time, and will continue to keep busy. It is the ending of one thing and the beginning of something else. Had a good day yesterday at a conference with one of my colleagues. She was very upset at what went on and will miss me. Very sweet and nice to hear. Very sorry about your septic system, is all your snow melted?

Lav, scary times we live in with a lunatic as the president. I have to make sure to not watch the news as much. Since I have lived here the mosquitoes have not been a problem. We'll see this year. I just use bug spray if it is bad. I am excited to have more time to be outside. Yay, good weather coming your way.

Pauly, I have been eating badly this week too, just trying to get through, I will be better after I am off. However, today I am going to eat well, leftovers and a great eggplant recipe I saw on FB. One of those recipes they show step by step? Good for someone like me who likes visuals. Will Kell's BF get hernia surgery? When will Michelle be back? Easter is next weekend, no plans here so far.

Have a wonderful AF weekend.

Comment

Morning all - quick check in for me this AM, as I am off on the train in 2 hours and there's lots to do...

Star, good for you for your excellent attitude! I hope that you continue to heal, rest, and fill the well. Yes, not only did we still have patches of snow left from the big storm, I awoke to white covering everything this morning! Just an inch or so, and it will melt soon, but everything looks very different. Each day it was supposed to be warm, but it has felt icy and very bitter with a damp wind. Not my favorite. But allegedly we are in for some warming, we'll see...

Pauly, I noticed when I ate out of my 'territory' that I got VERY grouchy! The dogs were looking at me like I was a stranger! Food really does affect us... I hope you find a way to move past the Diet Coke, sounds like you have a plan. Here's the almond recipe: preheat oven to 350. Whisk together 1.5 c fine ground almond flour with 1/2 tsp of baking powder. Switch to a wooden spoon, and stir in 1/3 c dark maple syrup and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Drop onto lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart - I pat them down a little - they don't spread by themselves, or if you like a crisp cookie, flatten with a fork. Makes 16. Hmmm not sure how long to bake - check at 10 minutes, the edges will get brown fast. How simple is that?

Lav, can't believe your son only lives 7 miles away... I think you might be interested in the cookbook with the cookie recipe above - Elizabeth Barbone, Paleo Baking or something like that. I don't own, but I'm going to request it! Not only GF, but refined-sugar free recipes. Still cold here, I find this weather harder to take than when it 's colder and dryer. Thx for the saw warning! I bought a fancy one this time with a hand guard. I really wanted the gas 10 inch chain saw, but didn't go there...

I think we're closing in on a fix with the septic - the culprit may be pipes inside the house where the soft water has joined in the main pipes outside. Cross fingers! So grateful for this smart young man that is looking at all possibilities before digging up the yard again.

OK, off to the city to help entertain big donors to the summer festival who are in NYC for the weekend. Whatever, maybe it will be warmer down south - that would be a perk!

Wishing all well and AF...

Comment

Morning friends,Cyn that recipe sounds easy peasy will hafta give it a shot,yes I had given up all sodas and everything with artificial sweeteners including Stevia which I figured out makes me tired and more congested,I didn't think I felt any better but now I know I did feel better haha,so those are all on the chopping block again, Star,Kells bf is having surgery on Wednesday, she says she feels bad cuz when he'd complain of pain she'd tell him to shut up and quit whining,I know cuz I've done the same to everyone too,just not thinking its that serious,Lav,ugh we get a ton of flies too,think its cuz everyone has dogs around us and maybe don't clean up their yards,then hubs gets the bright idea of hanging those tacky fly strips all over the house!! So ghetto,I mean they work but come on,anyway, gotta get ready for work so wishing us all a wonderful AF Saturday
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening friends!

Pauly, I hang those tacky ghetto looking fly strips in the chicken house - HA HA!!! They catch millions of flies, believe me but I won't put them in my house, no way.
          Make sure you take a look at that website I linked last night Allergic Living magazine

Star, is it possible for you to take the summer off? That would be cool & you could help out with the new baby too
          I have taken somewhat of a break from the news today - can't take a constant feed of that BS.

Cyn, you would probably like the FoK recipe for Banana-oat chocolate chip pancakes. I made them tonight & ate them right from the griddle with some fresh strawberries. YB had his with a side of bacon, ha ha. I used oat flour & whole oats & my dairy free c. chip - delicious.
          I hope you impress your donors & get lots of $$!!!!

We went to Costco & came home with a 12'X14' pergola to put on our south facing deck! YB is going to need a guy or two to help construct the thing. Everything we have tried putting up on the deck to provide some shade for us has been beaten up by the weather, especially the wind. This thing is large with a metal A frame roof so it should do the job.

Wishing everyone a nice night!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning...

Had a nice Saturday, getting better and better, coughing is less and less. I am relieved, I hate being sick. My grandson was soooo cute, and after several hours at the park running after him, I was exhausted. My favorite was when he was in some grass trying to catch birds. He was very serious about it. Beautiful day, sunny and 60s, where I am it is spring now, very lucky. Left overs last night and also a new eggplant recipe, that was not so good, so I won't make it again.

Cyn, just a late spring for you this year I guess. Hope you are able to figure out the septic system issue, what a pain that is. Have fun in NYC, and hope you are successful. Sounds kind of fun dressing up and meeting all types of people. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds good.

Pauly, well hope Kells bf gets through it quickly. The cookie recipe does sound good and easy. I think a diet coke once in a while is not bad, but at one time in my life I was regularly eating cheetos and drinking diet coke, alot, and started to feel achy and off. I guess junk food makes us feel like junk. I do much better with whole foods, but sometimes have to have the bad stuff. Just sometimes. This is going to be a tough week for me so I am going to eat healthy and planning it already. Just veggies, fruits and proteins. Boring but what my body does best on. Any plans this weekend? Warm and 70s, sunny and nice today.

Have a good AF Sunday.

Comment

Morning friends, Star what was in the eggplant recipe? I don't really care for eggplants except eggplant Parmesan which has more calories than chicken Parmesan haha,took Louie to this food truck/easter egg hunt on the westside,it was odd cuz it was held in a liquor store parking lot, a few of the trucks weren't even open,the egg hunt wasn't til it got kind of dark,so we just bought him a sno cone,us some weird fries,Brady and his friend a burger and left,oh well better than sitting around the house,it was sooo windy though! I never know what the weather will be,here I am with self tanned legs and nowhere to wear them hahaha! I did pretty good for the eating yesterday despite it being a Saturday so that makes me happy,see how today goes I have some leftover taco meat and I'm thinking of making crock pot chilli,that's pretty healthy-ish if I skip the corn bread loaded with butter and honey anyway, wishing us all a happy,light filled AF Sunday

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening friends!

Decent day today weather-wise
                My chicken babies are 6 weeks old now & really looking like chickens, ha ha! I grabbed a handful of fresh green grass for them to check out today. They circled it like it was something evil until one of them finally reached out & grabbed a blade 7 ran off to the corner with it, ha ha! The dumb stuff that makes me happy.

Star, I just can't force myself to eat eggplant anymore. We had a steady diet of it when I was a kid (breaded & fried). Guess I'm lucky my coronary arteries are still open, ha ha!
                Glad you enjoyed your grandson time, that's a great age, always in motion & curious.

Pauly, doesn't your city sponsor any kid-friendly community events?
                When we first moved down here to cow country I thought it was hysterical that they had a helicopter dropping eggs on the high school football field, ha ha. Then I found out that the event was huge & well attended. That was back before we had the grandkids or I would have gone.

Cyn, I hope your NYC trip is going well.

Well, my son & his family are going across the country for Easter so I won't get to see the boys. I hope to be able to see my granddaughter next weekend. Geez, I feel like I have been abandoned, LOL
                Wishing everyone a peaceful night!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Evening all -

Back home. Worn out again, so this will be an early night. Thanks all for your good wishes for my event, it was really just a dinner with 2 patrons, but very important. Star, I have never been much of a girly girl, and never had munch money to buy clothes in my previous careerwas in the arts - it it didn't matter because in the theater I always had great costumes! Anyway, I really have a hard time getting dressed up and I can't really wear makeup anymore, so I kind of stress out about these things. luckily I have a few good things to wear, but had to resort to some short boots that really don't fit well. we did a lot of walking, and my back and neck were really unhappy! After a painful attempt to walk in Central Park (first time I could sense spring), HB took me to DSW and forced me to by some comfortable walking shoes... Heaven! I left my little boots in a box on the street - hopefully someone will get some use out of them yet, but they were killing me.

Lying on a hot pad now, grateful To be home and in the company of dogs.

Star, sounds like you have your plan for the week, good for you. I'm sure your daughter is happy with you being able to help more... but take care to get completely well!
                  Pauly, I think you'll like that recipe... I will also get out the gf almond/coconut/chocolate cookie recipe. Sorry about Kell's bf, hope it all turns out OK.
                  Lav, really chocolate chips in pancakes? Maybe... I just found a bone density report from 2015 - saying that I osteopenia in my neck, something that no doc ever told me! So I'm going back to your site 'Save our Bones' and get going. So sorry about the boys being away at Easter... I really hope you will be able to be with granddaughter...

Happy Palm Sunday, if you are church-goers. Spring really is coming... wishing all a good night and a great AF Monday.

Comment

Good morning...

Had a lovely day, swam, did yard work and enjoyed the spring weather. I am struggling today with this last week going to a place that I was told no one trusts me. Grrrrr. Oh, well, I will do my best and it will be over quickly. We are in full blown spring here, so lucky.

Pauly, it was a a weird eggplant recipe with cheese, cilantro, garlic and olive oil. Not good I threw the rest out. It is windy here too, and supposed to be even windier today. Sounds like you had an interesting afternoon.

Cyn, glad you are home, the right shoes make all the difference.

Lav, so sorry you feel abandoned, I get it. My daughter is not feeling well and I have no idea if we have plans next weekend or not. I will try to bring it up today if I speak with her.

Off to the last week of work. Have a good one.

Comment

Morning friends,Cyn,glad it all went good except for the boots,glad hubs insisted on stopping by DSW uncomfortable shoes are torture! Lav,yes they have tons of events at parks around town, the ones I wanted to go to were in the morning but we were all working, Kell picked that one cuz we like food trucks haha,Star,enjoy knowing its your last week! Over,finito,onto something better,how did you get your hair done? Anything different? I'm gonna hafta start coloring my hair for real,I was getting away with a bit of color at the temples cuz that was my only grey but I wore a ponytail the other day and could see them throughout, little strands wishing us all a happy AF Monday

Comment

Jut poking my head into this thread. Lav, you do not deserve to feel abandoned. I have strong words about DIL, it's heart breaking. I feel your pain having a son who doesn't communicate well.
                        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Good evening friends,

Thanks SK, I appreciate your thoughts.
                          I have not let this situation take over my life but honestly - this nonsense with my DIL has been going on since last September. Enough already, don't you think?
                          I hope you are doing well

Star, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a quick & easy week for you. They will miss you when you're gone, guaranteed.
                          W had a real spring day today & another coming tomorrow too, yay!

Cyn, I feel your foot pain, ouch! Glad you got some nice walking shoes.
                          I read something from the Save Our Bones website everyday. They have good recipes, great exercise suggestions & supplements. I have been taking & tolerating the plant based calcium supplement for the past 2+ years - True Osteo. Join the Save Our Bones family Save Our Bones – Osteoporosis and Osteopenia, Articles, News, And Natural Treatments
                          The drug store calcium supplements just hurt my stomach something awful. Apparently I was not absorbing crushed up rock, ugh.

Pauly, those gray hairs sneak up on you, haha. My daughter has a few herself, LOL
                          My monthly or so box of hair color is my treat to myself & something I have been doing forever. It's not just about covering gray hair with me, my natural color is so mousey or something - not blonde & not brown, it's something in between.

Wishing everyone a nice night!
                          Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey all - happy evening.

Lav, so sorry. I hope you get some family time. I have spent many Easters alone in the past few years, and it always seems strange. Plus, being with someone from a different faith, but one that intersects the christian holiday, has been really interesting! This year was perfect - HB is in NYC, I am here, and tonight we did a little Passover ceremony via Facetime! I used whatever I had in the house for the traditional foods on the Seder plate ( I had forgotten that it starts tonight), and it was pretty funny, but it worked. Whew, now I'm never going back to the frantic worry version of this holiday, no way! I am not a practicing religious person, but I feel a draw to church on Easter - my parents were very involved in our church, and Easter was always a big deal - it helps me to feel connected to them. This year I plan to drive about 45 minutes away to a town that has a beautiful church - stained glass, great architecture - and I'm sure the service will be full of music. So we'll see if I make it there, especially if it is a sunrise service!

Star - I can imagine that this would be an uncomfortable week. Just remember your co-worker who is so sad that you are leaving... I'm sure there are many more. The only person who said that you can't be trusted is totally untrustworthy herself, so we know how much weight that carries. Good Luck, and wishing you a centered, self-care week.

Pauly - I just noticed tonight the phrase that you have by your avatar... something like 'a person getting comfortable with being uncomfortable'. I love that! How true that is for all of us - the hardest lesson of them all. Fantastic! Hope all is going OK on the home front...

SK- glad to see you, good luck with your healing!

Well, tonight when I went down to the basement to get the holiday Seder Plate and dishes, there was an awful smell. A week or so ago I caught a mouse that fell down behind a refrigerator. With the septic issues, I totally forgot to get it out from behind there. I hope that's all it is. I hope when I did the brillo-pad routine that I didn't trap something inside instead of keeping it out, uuuuuugh. Anyway, I'm trying not to think about it. I'll deal with it first thing tomorrow - I worked right up to making this little holiday dinner, so I didn't get outside today as planned. I'll just put on my anti-tick hazmat suit and a mask and start indoors instead of outdoors. The joys of home-ownership.

I'm thinking happy thoughts, I'm thinking happy thoughts, I'm thinking happy thoughts. I'm thinking about all the dear people here at MWO...
                            Wishing all a good night and a light Tuesday...

Comment

X-post, Lav! Ha ha, I joined Save our Bones last night - wonderful stuff, and I'm already into the exercises. Good thought on the plant-based calcium... thanks! Pauly, when I cut my hair short, HB asked me to stop coloring it... he likes the natural 'frost'! I agreed, just because I've been doing this since my 20s -- enough! My mother would be having a fit, but everybody else seems to like it. I'm into easy, it works for me )

Lav, do you have any words of wisdom about ulcerative colitis? My dear dogsitter's bf has been in the hospital OVER A WEEK with anemia and low blood counts. He's due to get out soon - maybe tomorrow - and my sitter is not really a cook; she's worried about taking care of him. I thought I would suggest some of that asian rice that is cooked for a long time in plenty of water (brain-dead, can't think of the name of it...), or maybe I'll make some chicken bone broth for her - that would be healing and strengthening. Poor kids, they are only in their 20s or early 30s... thanks for any ideas...

Comment

Good morning...

Lav, I hate fighting, holding grudges and all that stuff. So sorry it is happening to you. DIL has emotional problems, your son is probably just hanging on. Can you imagine what it is like to live with that? On the bright side, he is bringing grandsons over to see you, but I know it is not the same. Again, thanks for sharing and letting us know what is going on in your life. I just don't understand other people some times and their negative behaviors. I got a call from daughter's MIL and they decided she was having Easter so we are going over there. I am not concerned about Easter with all the other drama I have going on, I just have to get through this week. Yesterday was hell, I want OUT. Keeping calm and cool, staying to myself. I don't care if they miss me or not, I want a new beginning.

Cyn, what an interesting holiday season for you! I have always had to create celebrations too, but never from a different faith. I would find that interesting and liking all food, fun. A sunrise Easter service sounds lovely, I hope you get to do that if you chose. I too feel drawn to church, but my Catholic faith is so hateful towards women and LGBT community, it is hard for me to go to a service. Confusing time for many religions right now with there messages of intolerance and hate. I am going to say,your basement sounds scary. LOL. My previous house had a basement and there were always weird smells too, but it is a good place for storage. Hope you can find what the smell is. Bland foods are probably best for ulcerative colitis, sweet of you to want to help out by cooking for them. Regarding work, there are several people who have come to me and feel badly, which I appreciate. Thursday night some colleagues want to meet for dinner somewhere, which I am ok with, but ok if I don't too. I just want closure. I can get another job when I am ready. I am physically and emotionally exhausted right now. To the light.

Pauly, I do not want to go gray, so have to get touch ups every 5 weeks and a trim. My hair naturally streaks when I am in the sun, so only once or twice a year do I need foils. I love my hair stylist, we are getting to know each other the last six months and she is really sweet. I am thinking of getting a part time job in the fall if we can swing it financially, working full time just does not leave any time for anything else. This way I can do everything at home and my husband who always works long hours can just relax when he comes home. A fair trade off. Hey, any motorcycle rides lately? It will be fun to go for rides.

Have a good one, AF.

Comment

Working...
                                X