Sweet September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweet September

X-post Cyn,I'm using myfitnesspal to log food,it helps keep track of cals,protein,fiber etc,just helps me see where I can improve my diet,nothing fun for me today except work boo hoo!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening friends,

Such a quiet holiday here, oh well.
      The sun was out & temp was perfect. Can't believe tomorrow it will be humid & almost 90 again, geez.

Star, I hope your day out on the boat was fun.
      I made a big pasta salad today using the chickpea pasta so I'll have something to munch on all week, love that stuff

Cyn, I won't agree to take any medicine until I've had a chance to think over the risks/benefits. I know my medical providers probably hate to see me coming but I really don't care, ha ha. The year that I tried to take the Fosamax was 2006, before my arrival here. A few years later I let another provider talk me into trying Actonel which is basically the same darn drug. She was sure that it wouldn't bother me but it did so I trashed it too. Naprosyn can be so helpful for arthritis but it is not easy on the stomach for sure. We both need to keep working on repairing our guts.

Pauly, I keep a bowl of crushed oyster shell out for my chickens. They munch on it as a snack, when they feel like it to help strengthen their egg shells. Why did anyone ever think that humans were capable of digesting the same damn thing in the form of Caltrate? No wonder my gut hurt taking that stuff, ugh.
      This is where I get the plant based calcium High Quality Nutritional Supplements | NatureCity
      It's expensive but it doesn't hurt my stomach & I did see a slight improvement in Dexa scan results. They have lots of other supplements too.

Have a nice night everyone.
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Tgirl, I'll check out those shows. I'm a fan of Brit acting and humor.

If you enjoy researching functional medicine check out Chris Kresser – Let's take back your health - Starting Now.

Pauly, I think my family got all scattered-about for safety purposes LOL
        Got an uncle and his kids there by you, aunt in OR, sister in WA, mum is in FL and dad in HI.
        survive work today? I really need the hours but alas...place is closed on big holidays.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

It was surprisingly busy today Det,jeez your family is scattered! I cheated in myfitnesspal, I measured out 1 cup of lasagna but....I crammed it so I'm sure it was double the cals,I'm bad!

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Pauly. It is so tempting to pack it in, lol. I think I will join you on gut repair and losing a few lbs.
            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Good morning...

The boat trip did not work out, it was windy and too many boats on the lake, so not safe, especially with little kids, so we came in after about 45 minutes. Everyone was crabby and the entire day was kind of irritating. I did get some time in the hot tub, so relaxed a little. I am up really early this morning, I had a diet coke yesterday and think it ruined my sleep. Geez, what a complainer I am. Too much holiday I guess. I have tons of stuff to take care of today, but want to start my day off with an exercise class, so will do that. Then see how much I can get done.

Cyn, hope your day went well, nice to have sunshine. I never took any meds long term but the pill, and no longer need that. I am wary of all meds and the more I learn the more I realize doctors don't know or care about side effects. I hope you are feeling stronger and can find the balance you need for good health. I am searching for that too.

Lav, sorry your day was so quiet, hope you did not watch too much news, it is really unsettling, and we have no control over any of the things happening. I was thinking about all these things out of my control and how it is better for me to focus on what I can control. So that is what I am doing today.

Pauly, fitness pal is a great tool, good for you, of course you are not perfect but working towards making progress.

Det, hope your time off was a time of peace and rest.

Have a great AF Monday.

Comment

Morning all -

Lav, sorry it was a quiet day -- ha, think of us eating the same thing as your chickens! Kinda the same thing as thinking of us drinking the same thing as baby calves... milk, we just take it for granted that it's what we should have! It's interesting to step away from our "food culture" and really see food as it should be - medicine and fuel for our bodies. Your chickpea pasta sounds good - I found some white bean pasta that I like, so that's a help. Good luck with the heat today, that's crazy.

Star, sorry about your day, that can happen around boats and lakes for sure, hot, impatient, crabby. Not like all the ads that show cheerful families together, ha! I hope that you get re-centered today, it sounds like you have a lot on your list.

Pauly, good for you for tracking all that info! I cook almost everything for myself, so those trackers don't always give me an accurate sense of the calories I'm getting. I did find a place where one can input a recipe and get the nutritional breakdown, so that's helpful. But I just got a fancy scale (on sale at Amazon) that shows both ounces and grams, since half of the stuff I measureis in grams - I hope I can figure out how to use the darn thing! I think I'm just going to find a few basic recipes for each meal and keep repeating them, otherwise this is too much of a pain in the a$$!

Det - hope you get your hours in this week. That's a far-flung family for sure... I just heard this morning that the next hurricane could really affect FL - hope your family member there will be OK.

SK - nice to see you! Take care --

Well, I kinda overdid yesterday. Just removing the giant violets overgrowth in the front garden creeping phlox was a huge job. My fingers hurt from yanking, and my back from digging with the pitchfork, geez. They looked so innocent in the spring, ha! Then HB and I took a slightly challenging hike up a steep trail - not to the top, which I knew would be too much, but it was an accomplishment, and we were sore afterwards. Do we think it was a little too much activity in one day?! I was trying to pack it all in to a Holiday, oh well.

Back to serious work today, but still want to chip away at the land as much as I can, we'll see how my energy holds up, I'm feeling like a Weekend Warrior this morning for sure!

Wishing all a safe and sound AF day...

Comment

Morning friends,Cyn,myfitnesspal has a recipe builder too so you know exactly what your cals,protein, etc is in homemade stuff and I use a scale too cuz most packaging is off on the weights of a serving,it's a nice distraction from booze for me,if I'm concentrating on eating better(except the crammed lasagna!)exercising,then I'm doing something about being a better AF Pauly sounds like your day was busy but still fun Star sorry the boating didn't work out,at least you tried though,I always feel weird after diet coke-i know what to expect but its so good going down sometimes! I usually get a headache from it but I can't drink regular cuz it hurts my stomach so bad and sparkling water gets old,really fast so I'll still indulge here and there,Lav,forgot to say thanks for the link on the calcium,I am willing to pay more for things that actually work,I bought some egg lands best and they're stamped with an EB on the top, I always think of you cuz that's what you call your grandson on here haha,SK,we'd be glad to have you on board sweetie,hi Det,wishing us all a safe,AF Tuesday

Comment

Good evening friends,

Well we had the one hot & humid day & now we're clearing the air (supposedly) with thunder storms. At least that's what they're saying, ha ha.

Det, have you ever considered moving any closer to family or would that be a bad idea?
                    Families are nice sometimes but sometimes they are not. Stuff happens & things change, I get that. I'm loving my online family more & more as each year goes by

SK, nice to see you & hope everything is OK with you. We talk an awful lot about healthy food & getting ourselves healed on this thread - look out!!!

Star, sorry your planned fun was not so much fun. Yep, stuff like that happens to all of us.
                    I find it much easier to get myself centered when no one is around to pester or distract me. Are you the same way? I also think I accomplish more by doing what I feel like doing rather than trying to plan out my day - if that makes sense.
                    We took a trip to Costco today primarily to buy dog food & bottled water. Thinking ahead a little in case we end up with hurricane related weather next week. Any way we ended up coming home with a package of Dr. Praeger's veggie bean burgers, 200 calories, no gluten or soy, no dairy & not too much sodium. They are delicious, even YB the big meat eater liked the burger. I got a package of 12 & will freeze the rest. Cost is less than $1.20 each!! Good for days when you don't really feel like toiling in the kitchen.

Cyn, I can't believe how long it takes me to get anything done outside these days. Guess I'm just moving slower & trying to avoid irritating my back & joints. We need to allow ourselves plenty of time to get even small jobs done I guess.
                    Costco is a good place to find GF pastas too. That's where I first ran into the black bean pasta

Pauly, I have an app on my iPad that's called Recipe Builder. It's a bit of a pain to use but I have put a lot of recipes into it to get a better idea of how many calories are in some things I make. My Energizer Bunny grandson has outgrown his nickname, haha! He'll be turning 9 in November & you can usually find him sitting with my laptop googling stuff, Lol

OK, wishing everyone a nice night!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav, on the weather, it should rinse before it tumble dries.
                      I'm all for healthy food despite my cooking courses in France. Shhh. My gdaughter will be 9 in Jan. She is so fast on the computer she goes to YouTub and is listening to hippos farting (very long) before I know it.

Thank you all.
                      Last edited by SKendall; September 5, 2017, 07:52 PM.
                      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Lav,those burgers actually sound pretty good, I was trying to find some kind of bean burgers at the store I shop at but I think I got distracted cuz it was just too busy there on Sunday! Pretty busy at work but I just had no mojo today ended up with 15 haircuts and Kell did 22,Skendall hope you're feeling ok with all that's happened, wishing us all a peaceful AF night

Comment

Thanks Pauly. Some hateful member has accused me of posting my husband's death for sympathy. How misguided and emotional was that? I just don't know. Inflict pain is how I saw it. Shudder.

We were together 30 plus years and the last several years were not great, but we had a successful and happy marriage for a very long time and the fact that we were friends shows our mutual respect for each other and the ability to put the unpleasantness behind us and we still made each other laugh. Not holding onto hatred is sometimes very difficult for some. I belong in the Positive gallery and the no holding of grudges. The intent to strike emotional pain was awful, I'm just glad my kids never have to see it.

I've been sniffing around this thread for a while and know Det from a long time ago, anybody remember subscribers? Also know Lav and Pauly. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

I think Pie posted so I.m off to find it.

Set what a great link for both
                          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Oh Skendall,I'm very sorry about that pm,I can't believe anybody would say that to you!(( hugs)) try not to let it get to you,you're going through enough ATM

Comment

Good morning all...

Lav, I think I am going to buy a membership to Costco,we have one right around the corner, those bean burgers sound good and inexpensive and other kinds of pasta sound good too. I have the time now, so will continue to work on nutrition. Got alot done yesterday, tons of laundry, cleaned the refrigerator,and rested, I still don't feel 100%. I took a long nap in the afternoon and needed it. I am moving slower, but geez, I am only 57, it is nice though to be able to take care of myself and not always push so hard. I found out they offered my former job to someone and she turned it down, she wanted more money. Haha. It was a hard job and obviously I was not appreciated. I am still mad about being treated with such disrespect. It must have been time for me to go though, I am just missing the people I worked with but hopefully will go out to lunch with them some time soon. The weather here is cooler, high in the 60s today, I love it. I am looking forward to fall weather. Summer was great, but I love fall. Isn't the hurricane news crazy? I am concerned for all of us, but the people in the path of that monster storm have to be terrified.

Cyn, wow you are one hard worker. Yard work is so satisfying when you are done, instantly you can see the results. Love your idea of getting a few basic recipes and making them over and over again. I think I am already doing that and it is working. With cooler weather I am going to be making chilies and lentil soups, so looking forward to that. I have found a few parks in our area with great trails and looking forward to trying them out this fall. I also researched and found a naturopath about a half hour away, so may make an appointment this fall. She helps with all types of health issues including allergies and nutrition. Regular docs just don't seem to help.

Pauly, you were busy yesterday, Kell too. Diet coke is OK once in a while, but not at 5 for dinner, then I don't sleep. I just really wanted one. Isn't it weird how sensitive we get as we mature? Alcohol just kills our health with long term use, let alone everything else.

Skendall, welcome to the thread, guess I missed your posts, sorry for not acknowledging you. So sorry for your loss, yes I believe someone would post something so cruel, some people don't care and want to hurt. Best to stay away from them but you can't help what someone posts. I know relationships change over time, and it takes two to work together to keep it good. I think it is great you are generous and remember the good times, no one can take those great memories from you.

Det, you are doing a great job, working hard and taking care of yourself even when it is not easy.

Have a great AF Hump Day.

Comment

Morning friends,Star I was gonna get a Costco membership when the kids were younger but if it was in the house in bulk they'd have just used it faster,now that they're big I don't want a lot of bulk things for just hubs,Brady and I,although I might look into it cuz we'll need diapers and stuff for the new baby,plus Costco does carry things nobody else does,Louie caught a cold and thought it was just hilarious to cough in my face full blast yesterday, little gremlin...I haven't been feeling great anyways, been dealing with fatigue almost like I've been drugged in the middle of the day,gives me the creeps,Brady's first day of work went pretty good it seems,yay waves to Cyn,SK,Lav hope we all have a peaceful AF Wednesday

Comment

Working...
                                X