Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweet September

Good evening friends,

Nice weather coming to an end now - rain on the way for the next few days. Shouldn't complain after seeing what the rets of the country has had to deal with these past few weeks.
    I've been asked to meet my grandsons at their bus stop Friday afternoon & bring them here for dinner. Glad to do it especially because I haven't seen them for nearly 3 weeks. My son is working somewhere until 6 pm & will pick them up sometime later. I have no idea where their mother would be

Star, quinoa is something that I just haven't been able to make friends with for some reason. I think it's a texture problem. Now I did find a recipe using it in a cold salad which improved the texture but I haven't made it in about a year & a half. Now I can't even remember what the recipe is of course, duh.
    Glad you are busy & having some good family time too! I just finished off the last of my vegan mushroom soup for lunch - love that stuff

Cyn, you are not he only one dealing with blending days, ha ha!
    Every day seems to be pretty much the same around here so I am always looking for something to break up the monotony. That's not always an easy thing to do around here either.
    Today I ran into a former Curves member at the market which was kind of shocking because I hadn't seen anyone all summer. So that was my excitement for the day!!
    Are you oing to be taking any glutamine to help your gut repair? It is supposed to do wonders if you take 2-5 gms twice/day. I can't take the stuff myself because it runs straight thru me (TMI). I downloaded a book today 'How To Lose Massive Weight with the Alkaline Diet'. I haven't looked at it yet. I would like to lose my menopause 15 pounds, don't want them or need them. I know you are having problems keeping weight on which is difficult to manage too. I hope you are feeling better very soon!

Pauly, I am really sorry to hear about Michelle. Does she have a friend she can stay with for a while? She shouldn't be in an abusive situation like that. I always wished I had a sister when I was growing up. We were all focused on trying to save ourselves, to be honest.
    Be good to yourself so you can be of assistance to your kids when they need help, OK?
    My son's dog was named 'Maslow'. Anyone who has ever studied general psychology knows the name A. Maslow. I suppose this is my DIL's way of proving to the world that she is working on her self-actualization, ha ha!!! She has a long way to go IMHO.

I had already donated to the Red cross online. I've just read in the last few days that donating to veteran organizations is a good way too. I'll probably go online to the Purple Heart & sned them some money to go to hurricane victims. After Katrina I stitched up a box full of shirts & sold them on ebay & directed the proceeds to go to certain charities. I just may do that again too.

Have a peaceful night!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning...

Lav, what a great idea to donate money. You are really creative and artistic, how wonderful to make lovely things, sell them and donate the proceeds to charity. The rain we have had so far is nothing, we were in the hot tub last night with the grandson. He loves to play in their with his plastic zoo animals. He is so cute. Very grateful I realize this is such a special time and will go by quickly. He is a source of joy for sure. So great you get to spend time with your grandsons later this week, their mother sounds pretentious, Maslow? Really? Now I am being unpleasant, sorry she ticks me off.

Cyn, sounds like a complicated eating plan, or maybe so simple its complicated. Nice that you were able to get a diagnosis, sometimes that is the hardest part. Hope you feel better and stronger this week. I find that I have to get on MWO in the morning or it just doesn't happen.

Pauly, how difficult for Michelle to be in a conflictual relationship. Will your husband talk to her? I know when my daughter was with the alcoholic, my husband sat down with her and gently discussed if she wanted her life to be one of a caretaker. She listened and eventually found the strength to break it off. I don't think that one conversation made the difference, but it helped. It is just a shame to be with someone when there is so much fighting, I mean what is the point? Tough to watch our kids suffer.

Have a great AF day.
      Last edited by Snoopy56; September 13, 2017, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Morning friends,

Star - I was thinking of you yesterday when I came across a list from USA Today regarding where to donate. I saved the link on my computer, not on this pad, so I'll try to drop it in here at some point. But you could google it - I think they published it yesterday. Something to think about is to contribute to relief for some of the Carribean Islands - the devastation there is so terrible and complete. The poor Haitians, they absolutely cannot seem to get a break, it is so sad to see. Habitat for Humanity will be crucial both in the states and the carribean - I think that's a great organization, and they help people right here in our towns as well as across the world. Heifer Project is also one of my faves - these farmers will need to have new chickens and livestock in order to survive. Then there is Plan USA, which actually helps girls across the world with education and school supplies (health supplies also). I heard that in the Puerto Rico, kids will be coming up to the states to start school, since their schools are destroyed... they'll be needing coats, etc since much of the Puerto Rican diaspora is in DC and other northern states. What an incredible upheaval, and as usual, the working people are hard -hit and scrambling to figure it out. It makes my heart ache...

Lav, I have to admit that when HB goes back to work in the city, I look forward to getting my own routine back. On the other hand I kind of dread his leaving for such an extended period, as this house is going to feel very much too big when he leaves. Somehow when Sashie was alive, we three were a 'pack' and it all seemed fine, but now i think it might feel strange. (I'm like the the Three Bears story - looking for 'just right'!) RE: health - i was prescribed the powedered Glutamine, mixed with de-g licorice, etc. I used to be able to tolerate it, but right now it's not working for me... I see my naturopath on Friday so I'll see what she says about dosage. Never a day without a question!

Pauly - hang in there with the family upheaval. I'm thinking of you!

Greetings to anyone stopping by -- I'm wishing us all well and a bit of happiness to send out to this aching world today...

Well, I have a client today so that will be a good kickstart to get back in the geoove. My clients seem to be coming out of 'summer mind' and getting back to getting their lives organized.

Comment

Morning friends, Cyn,interesting about the Puerto Rican kids coming to go to school, will DT let them in? I've read about FODMAP before,don't think I could follow it though,even though I know something's awry in my guts,energy, brain,etc and I feel better not on certain foods but at the time the particular foods make me happy,its just later I suffer,I'll figure it out eventually.... I hope,I posted on my thread my dad's in Salt Lake for his surgery, any positive vibes please send! Star,we've absolutely tried talking to Michelle, nicely,sternly,realistically, meanly,positively,every way imaginable she just has her own set of rules on how she wants to live,meh,she ended up back their apartment yesterday just like I knew she would, even after he said such a hateful thing,,,Lav,I think the name Is cute for the pup took Lou to the yogurt place yesterday and he got all his toppings he wanted all perfectly and didn't touch one bite!! That stuff's a but on the pricey side and he just wasted it,hubs said not to get him one next time,how am I supposed to take a child into an ice cream place and not get him one? That would be weird,we came home and played with the Wii for about 4 hours straight,, my body hurts haha, wishing us all a nice AF Wednesday with no surprises,just an even keel.
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening friends,

I had the pleasure of accompanying YB on his semi annual doctor's visit, ha ha. His doc is one I worked with for something like 15 years, he's a good guy. He's our age & really wants to retire, says he's jealous of us! Well, that turned into half the day on the road anyway.
            Light rain here, tons of humidity & fog - nothing like a hurricane so I won't complain.

Star, I had to LOL when I saw your comment about my DIL being pretentious
            Honestly, I think she is over compensating for her feelings of inadequacy relating to her being adopted. How's that for a pretentious Dx???? HA HA
            At this point I am just sitting back & keeping my mouth shut. She will burn herself out sooner or later.
            I don't have a hot tub but I do have one of those oversized bathtubs with the spa jets. The kids love to fill it with bubbles, they have a ball
            Don't forget to look at the dairy free website for recipe ideas - I look at that site almost daily: Go Dairy Free: Recipes, Reviews, Diet Info and More

Cyn, I feel the emptiness here too but I just don't have the ambition to go thru another puppyhood. I depend on my animals for company - believe me! Husbands just don't seem to be able to be friends that same way your animals usually are. Now I am really sounding like a nutcase!!
            I certainly don't blame you for having a lot of questions for your Naturopath, I hope she can offer you some help. Does she have a registered dietician on staff to help out? That would be helpful. Glad you have some clients to keep you busy & distracted. We all need that

Pauly, I have better luck with the kids when I don't give them too many choices. Vanilla or chocolate, sprinkles or no sprinkles, that's about as far as I go, ha ha! All little kids have eyes bigger than their stomachs I think.
            I hope you & your girls all had a better day today!

Have a nice night everyone!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Pauly, my kids make decisions I don't agree with too, then I have to listen to them moan and groan when they have consequences. I try not to say I told you so, we are all here to learn our cosmic lessons. It is still hard though.

Cyn, change is always hard for me too, summer to fall, vacation to normal, work to not working, whatever the change, it takes time to adjust. Are you thinking of getting another dog? After our last move we made a pact only one animal at a time, and so far we have kept our promise to each other. Sometimes I want another pet, but when I consider the daily work, smells, cost, etc., I find the right decision is to keep our one kitty and be happy with what I have. Hope you get the supplements that work best for you and feel stronger day by day.

Lav, you have the patience of a saint with your DIL, she sounds unstable and it is scary to think she is in a field that counsels families. Wow. I am telling you that I was in that field and the coworkers were sometimes more unstable then the clients. I am glad to be out of it. I had a nice time with my former coworkers, they are still struggling with a horrible manager, I felt more at peace regarding leaving and not working. Today I have errands to run and getting my hair done, maybe exercise this afternoon, maybe not, we'll see. Thanks for the links, I am eating pretty healthy this week and feel 100% compared to last week, have lost a few pounds and want to continue on this path. Peace, healing and being grateful.

Hello to all and have an AF Thursday.

Comment

Pauly, thinking of your Dad and sending him healing and peace. You too.

Comment

Morning all -

Pauly, sending you support and sending light to your a Dad for his surgery. Thanks for letting us know here - I'm sorry that I don't get over to your thread, I just seem to run out of time. Ha on Louie and the cone, and 4 hours of Wii? That would seriously wear me out! Hope your girls are all OK today.

Star, no new pet, nope. The one we still have has unusual needs (he was hit in the highway as a puppy and went in Rescue - we got him after that). Chiropractic, physical therapy, lots of massage from me. I still have my hands full! It's really just an emotional adjustment, I am still missing my girl big-time. Glad that you had a good meeting with your co-workers and that you heard their story -- I am glad you are out of there! When will that company wake up to the loss of human capital because of one manager? Sheesh. Hope your son is doing OK ... is he still staying with you while the floors get put in?

Lav, it was kind of sweet to hear you talk about the doc that you worked for... I think of you whenever I go to doctor's offices... I pick out the one "Lav" nurse, smart and clear, but still nice, and I always compliment her. I hope all is well with YB and that you'll have smooth sailing for awhile. Sounds like we're in for rain for a few days, and also that Hugo may affect the east coast in a week or so. We'll see. I sometimes wonder if the people on Long Island ever got their homes put back together after Sandy...

Lots of thoughts today - I had big-deal dreams early this morning which I don't really remember, but they are hanging around my head like a mist -- time to wake up! Wishing all well and strong today --

Comment

Morning friends,dad's surgery went well I talked to him and my brother last night ugh,tired this morning, I'm so tired of being tired it's exhausting! Cyn,sounds like a full time job with the one dog and all the care he needs,I like just one too but then get my grandpuppy when Lou comes so its perfect Star,glad you had a nice time with your coworkers, at least you all star in touch,Lav,thanks for the link,I dunno if its in my head but I swear dairy makes me a grump? Eggs too if I eat them for too many days in a row,maybe im just trippen i dunno,wishing us all a happy,happy AF Thursday
                    Last edited by paulywogg; September 14, 2017, 07:35 AM.
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening friends,

It's a bit warmer & a whole lot more humid here - tropical like.
                      I guess that's nothing compared to what the folks in FL & TX are putting up with. Have you heard about the 8 nursing home residents in FL? They died because the home had lost power & AC, how awful. It sounds like the place was pretty shady to begin with, sad. That was in Hollywood, FL where YB's grandparents had a place a long time ago. I thought the town was full of old people back in the early 70's but now I hear there are 43 nursing homes operating there - that's crazy!!!

Star, I am NO saint, trust me. I just know better than to engage someone who has an almost narcissistic type personality. The way she devalued us last September was horrendous. She certainly has put herself on a pedestal (somewhere along the line) & she will fall, all by herself with no help from me. I am trying to keep my focus on my son & the boys. I can't even imagine what she is doing to her clients - children & families.
                      I am glad to hear you are feeling better this week, yay!!

Cyn, I had a teary moment this afternoon thinking of Maxie. I really miss her huge presence but I am also glad she is no longer suffering. These things take time, I know.
                      Just so you know - I never worked FOR a doctor, I worked WITH them, ha ha!! I couldn't stand most of them & would never have been able to tolerate working in their offices. The one I was talking about happened to be the medical director on our hospital unit. He was & still is a nice guy, not pretentious in any fashion, just a real down to earth type person & I always appreciated that He took on YB as patient almost 30 years ago when I was frustrated with YB because refused to go to our family doc & I knew he had hypertension problems.
                      Now that's a real friend that doc!
                      We ended up sunny today but no rain here.

Pauly, glad to hear your Dad did OK. I hope he follows thru with the post op treatment plan so he has the best possible outcome.
                      I think a lot more of us are sensitive to dairy these days. I think we are reacting to the hormones & antibiotics they force on the poor cows. Honestly, the more vegan I eat, the better I feel.

Well, I wish everyone a nice night. I am looking forward to having the boys for a few hours tomorrow

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Beautiful weather now, 80s and sunny the next several days, 50s at night, so it is just perfect. I have all the windows open, can hear the outside noises, and it feels peaceful. I am feeling so much better, whatever I had is all gone, yay. Today I am going to try for two exercise classes in a row, the second one being yoga, and that will be a energized morning.

Lav, sorry you are missing your doggie, what a great companion for so many years. Have fun with the grandsons, good to focus on them, nothing you can do about DIL anyway. I feel better vegan too, if I go off of it for whatever reason, I immediately have negative reactions. Yuck.

Pauly, lots of stressful situations for you ongoing, please take care. Hopefully you can relax a bit today, maybe a nap or something. Good your Dad made it through OK.

Cyn, your remaining doggy is getting the best care, I know another pet would be so much work, been there, done that. Yes, some of the people I used to work with are great, miss them, but not the toxic environment. They failed to replace me and my former boss has to do all my work. That's what happens, and I have to admit it gives me satisfaction, I am no saint. My son spent the night last night, he was able to stay at his place the other nights and will hopefully have his place back to a new normal tonight. The new flooring looks great, so much easier for him to keep clean and it will help with his allergies.

Have a great AF Friday.

Comment

Good evening friends!

Just us today Star?
                          The boys were here about 4 1/2 hours. I got them a pizza for dinner & they were thrilled, ha ha!
                          YB & I ate veggie burgers on salads so everyone was happy.
                          Glad you are feeling much better, I hate being sick. I am not the greatest patient in the world - go figure!
                          I love my hardwood floors, easy to vacuum or mop. I probably should be looking for a new area rug for the living room to go with the new furniture I ordered online last night! I am tired of looking at this old stuff, time for freshening things up

Hello to Pauly & Cyn, hope you are both doing well

Have a peaceful night everyone & a good weekend too!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Lav, glad you had fun with your grandsons, pizza is usually a hit with kids. What kind of furniture did you order online, that is so convenient. Today I am going to my son's to help him get settled, put things away, felt on the bottom of all furniture so it doesn't ruin the floor and clean up from the construction, dust everywhere. Fun. Lots of festivals around our area and perfect weather but I have been there done that so many times, I don't know if I want to brave crowds today. We'll see.

Have a great AF Saturday.

Comment

Morning all - sorry to be away yesterday, just a really long one, visit out of town to my naturopath, lots of errands in that town, then home to get HB packed up and ready for 3 months in NYC. Finished at 10:30 and fell into bed!

Star, so glad that you are feeling better, have fun today at your classes! Lav, sounds like a freshen-up in decor is a nice pickmeup... we just had to get a new rug for the dining room because of a shift in decor, and I got a great price on a good rug on Overstock on Labor Day. Pauly, so good to hear the news about your dad - keeping fingers crossed for him. PS, When I changed my diet - and I was already eating clean, healthy food - it really changed how I felt, really in a matter of hours. I am not as tired all the time, and my mood is better. But what I am doing for diet right now is definitely not for everyone -- so I guess we each just have to find out what works for us. Elimination is about the only way, I think, and then putting stuff back in slowly and seeing what happens. Good luck!

Racing - off to exercise the dog, then pack up all into the car, drive w/HB to NYC, unload, set up the apartment, and drive home. See you tomorrow -- wishing all a great AF Saturday...
                              Last edited by treegirl; September 16, 2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Good evening friends,

A bit too warm & humid today considering Fall is less than a week away. Guess I'm keeping the AC on a bit longer.

Star, I understand wanting to skip things that draw crowds - just not into them anymore. Every once in a blue moon I will find something intriguing enough that will coax me out.
                                So I ordered a dark brown leather sofa & loveseat last night. It's something completely different for me, ha ha but I wanted a change. I always figured I should wait until the kids were grown before getting something like that. They are well grown & the grandkids are as well so now's the time

Cyn, you are still as busy as ever girl!!! Glad you are feeling better & have all that energy.
                                I hope all your plans work out well for you.

Hey Pauly, what are you up to?

I just found out that a niece will be moving into the area, about 10 miles away. She has two very young kids & will be needing a babysitter. I really hope she doesn't ask me to get involved, I am kind of done with all that if you know what I mean. I wish her luck.
                                Wishing everyone a nice night!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X