Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas Day 2022

MAE ALL...

Thanks Lav for letting everyone know I wasn't dead, and thank Mick for reaching out when you hadn't heard from me.

I ended up drinking last weekend. I had received 2 bottles of alcohol for Xmas presents and there they sat in the cupboard.

I did not get rid of them, I did not reach out to anyone, I chose to drink. It was the worst choice of my life. I drank both of them over the weekend then stopped. On the 3rd day of withdrawal I started hallucinating. I have never been so terrified in my life. Was able to get to a doctor the next day and got med's to stop the hallucinations.

I feel I don't have the right to post on this thread anymore if I'm not going to even try to use the tools you all have suggested over the years. It's been said that if you feel like drinking just remember your last drunk. Well, if I ever feel like having another drink I will remember those hallucinations! I will never allow THAT to happen again.

I thank you all for your support over the years and I wish you continued success in your sobriety....PQ
    Last edited by porqoui; December 28, 2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Please keep posting with us, PQ. You’re alcoholic just like the rest of us, and all of us are treading the same thin line. All of us are just one drink away from what just happened to you. There’s strength in numbers, if we all just stick together to encourage one another and minimize these occurrences. I’m so glad you’re ok! Christmas is a really tough time to get through without drinking, and I’m sorry that it got you this year. Onward and upwards though! And now you really do have a strong memory of your last drink/drunk to deter you!
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Ppqp..you belong here. You have as much right as any of us,and I mean anyone this forum isn't about look at us,we beat it..it's about supporting each other through thick and thin..any situation that may cause you angst and want to drink .that could have have been anyone of us .so get back on the hoss. Business as usual life continues
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Did I recover from my Huxley day? Well, I’m struggling with swollen lymph nodes and scratchy throat after the last couple times with him. He’s sick ever since he started day care. I haven’t gotten full-blown sick anyways, but fighting with it. Maybe that’s why I’m having such a tired day.

What a bummer that your helper came over not feeling well after lengthy travels, Sam! Has your wife recovered from Covid?

How was the storm here in the Midwest? Ridiculously cold, and also high winds and snow. But I learned that here on the western side of the Great Lakes we don’t get as much snow; that the storm system gathers more snow precipitation as it travels across the Great Lakes, then dumps it on the Eastern states. So, it was fine. I didn’t lose power, my furnace didn’t conk out, nobody was flying in for Christmas who then couldn’t make it, and my travel day was Sunday -only horizontal winds to deal with that day.

Did you play holiday songs for your Boxing Day gig, Sam?
          I like TG’s idea of enjoying Christmas decorations, songs, and movies through all twelve days of Christmas.
          Last edited by Slo; December 28, 2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Greetings friends,

I’m happy to announce that the new heater will be arriving tomorrow. It’s about f*cking time haha!!!!!!
            I credit my girl scout experience & my strong eastern European DNA for surviving nearly 2 weeks without a proper heater. The wood stove kept us & the house pipes from freezing to death.

PQ, happy to see you here today & please don’t go anywhere. We love you & only want the best for you, always :hug:
            Having a psychotic episode like you described is frightening as hell & I don’t ever want any of us going thru something like that. Please be sure to follow up with your GP & follow recommendations for meds & some talk therapy would be very helpful. What happened t o you could easily happen to any of us. Take good care.

Cyn, I think my chickens are pretty confused at this point. Yesterday I got 10 eggs, today only 2 haha!!
            You make sure you get a good long winter’s rest before heading back east for work. You know we can get some nasty weather here thru March, you don’t want to deal with that. Stay home & safe until spring

Sam, it will be one day short of 2 weeks without a heater during the worst cold spell we’ve had in >30 years of course! The company we had a contract with failed to respond to our pleas for help so it took a while to find a new one & get someone out here to tell us the heater can’t be fixed. It’s only a few years old!!! So, tomorrow is the day we have a good wood stove in the basement, thank goodness!

Slo, sorry you keep picking up cooties from the kids, ugh. I think I’d wear a mask while around them, honestly.
            Glad you got to go to the bridal shower for you niece. Yo’ve heard about the 5+ feet of snow that dumped on Buffalo, right? Many people found dead, how awful.

Mick, i’ll get you rain Friday night I think & that’s OK.
            Hope your Saturday get together goes well

Hello to Pauly & Det.

Have a good night all!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Mae all,

PPQ - SO glad to see your post!!! Please NEVER think that you can't come here... it is a supportive, judgement-free zone. I have had a few lapses over the years, but I always am able to get back on track because of the Olympian support here. We are fighting a cruel and difficult disorder, and when someone shares an experience like yours it reminds us all that our sobriety is precious and can be fragile, and being vigilant and grateful for sobriety is a full-time job. I don't always like that fact, but I respect it, and know that my health is riding on my remembering it. Just know that you have understanding and support from this thread!!! I was really missing your voice, so I really hope you will stay and post!

Lav, I honestly don't know how you have done 2 weeks without adequate heat - plus holidays in the cold!? I remember getting by with just a fireplace for a couple of those storms in CT... but only one time was 2 weeks... so Brava to you! Crossing fingers that all goes well for the install of the new furnace, sheesh!

Slo, here's hoping that you don't get a full-blown version of whatever the kid has... it's tough, with those Daycare situations... Do you ever take Emergen-C? That might be a good booster... actually I used to take it but haven't for awhile... hmmm maybe it's time to get some!

Mick, here is the descrption from the "Scottish Christmas" disc... "Traditional Scottish carols, wassail tunes, strathspeys and reels for the celebration Christmas, Hogmany, and the New Year." So I think I'm safe to play it for awhile (Wink). But what the heck is Hogmany? And what's a "strathspey"?

Sam, you probably play some of these kinds of pieces... the instruments listed are "Scottish Fiddle, Hammered Dulcimer, Guitar, Highland Bagpipe, Scottish Small pipes and Uileann Pipes" (?) Whatever the instruments are, I love the sound of these ensembles... Bonnie Rideout is the only name that is familiar to me...

Okay kids... I started the day working with my friends who feed the homeless once a week... It's a little frantic for 2.5 hours, but we get 200 lunches done, and then part of the team delivers them directly to spots to where the people experiencing homelessness hang out, and to the shelters. I haven't done the delivery part yet, but hope to soon... I always seem to be cleaning up the mess that the cooking and packing up creates... it feels good to help, even a little... but it makes me waaaaay tired, so I came home and had a nap, feels ridiculous, but there you are.

Wishing all well, healing, hopeful, and warm...
              TG

Comment

mae all ...how are we today then?hope everyone is doing good ..Rain here again ..you can tell its still winter,the water is still cold !its pretty frustrating because the continuous rain has meant that I cant get the rabbits out to try and bond,and I cant try in the house really because she has been everywhere .

hiya ppqp,how are you feeling today?hope you are feeling a bit better ...Now you have seen the replies on this thread in respect of you staying on here ..I think it speaks for itself .Are you back at work this week? or is it next?I sent you a pm yesterday ,but I have just looked on my phone and it hasnt sent ..grrr...I apologise I will see if I can find it .you know where I am ...you can message me any time you want .thats really bugged me that it never sent .

hiya Lav ,how are you doing today then? a new heater on the way ..I remember going to Russia and Estonia ...and yep it was certainly cold ...Hows the cat gang doing?

hiya Slo how are you feeling today?hope all is well with you..how is Huxley? you said he isnt feeling good either.

hey Sam the man..hows the family doing? hope all is good or getting better .

teegee hows you then? A strathspey is a type of dance that originated from that part of Scotland ..Hogmanay ,(pronounced Hugminnie) is the Scots word for the last day of the old year..also sometimes called Auld Years Nicht...the "ch" pronounced as in guttural German . Then follows the Ne erday pronounced Nairday which obviously is the 1st day of the New Year.there you go ...and by the way was this the record?

71bqYeOsZML._AC_SX450_.jpg

right folks all the very best to you.
                af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

morning all,

PQ, I echo what others here have said, there can be no judgement. It could happen to any of us at a given moment, especially during the holidays.

TG, the pipes are really fun to hear live, I think. If you get a moment do a youtube search the Trans Atlantic sessions. Here's a sample of them:

looks like I need to run, it got late on me and gotta feed the critters before work, check in later
                  Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

here you go Sam and Teegee some fantastic music ..ye canny whack the sound of the drums and the skirl o the pipes..the hairs on my arms stand up to this every time .I might be biased ,born in Scotland grew up there and did 12 years in a Scottish regiment!!

Comment

MAE ALL....

Thank you everyone for your kind words and your understanding. I am doing fine but am terrified that if I finish my meds the hallucinations will come back. I will follow Lav's advice and follow up with my GP before then. I just wanted to pop on to let you know that I read all your comments and really appreciate them. I will get back to posting daily soon...PQ

Comment

Good evening friends,

Yes, we have the new heater installed just in time for the outside temp to rise to 60 degrees New Year’s day, figures haha!

PQ, I’m thinking of you constantly & happy to see you checking in.
                        If you can’t get in touch with your GP then certainly do talk to the provider who gave you the Rx, tell them your concerns. Remember we are with you 100% :hug:

Cyn, nothing wrong with a nap after. A burst of activity. All of us spring chickens know that a nap can be good for us!
                        I’m looking forward to getting into my shop to do a major cleanup after many months of crazy stitching, Lol. Hopefully tomorrow I will do that without so many distractions.

Sam, hope you had a good day!

Mick, looking at my Living DNA results I see my relatives occupied Russia & Estonia too so I figure dealing with the cold just comes naturally.
                        The cats seem to be happy & healthy, the outside cat is still outside, he won’t come inside - who knows? Yesterday I ran across a big sale on Cat Caves & ordered two for the inside cats. I know the little one will like it, not so sure about mama Luna, we will see.

Slo, hope you are OK today & staying warm

Hello to Pauly & Det & wishing everyone a nice night!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening,

I have a 16-year-old nephew who is fascinated by the bagpipes, and is learning how to play them! He was inspired by the large group of bagpipers who played at my cousin’s funeral -a fallen firefighter killed in the line of duty. I took him to hear bagpipes live at Irish Fest this Summer (the closest thing here to a Scottish Fest), and his grandma took him to hear them play at the Highland Games.

I like all the music you posted, and recognize the one from the Queen’s funeral.

Oh, that is frustrating, Mick -that no window of opportunity to bond the rabbits is opening up.

You get heat right when you don’t hardly need it, Lav! I’m perfectly warm, in double sweaters and a blanket, sitting by the fire. Even though it’s kinds warm here! The snow is all melting. I sure did hear about Buffalo. It drove home the point that the snow ends up out East after a storm system moves west to east over us.

My daughters used to take Emergenc-C a lot, TG. I just have to be more careful not to kiss those fat, dimpled baby cheeks. So hard! I can’t wear a mask though. A six-month-old needs to see smiles.
                          It is an awful lot of compressed activity that you do to feed the homeless. I would need a nap too after that, at this age.

I look forward to your return, PQ. I miss your voice here too.
                          I overdid it over the holidays on too much food and foods I don’t normally eat (more sugar, dairy, non-organic etc. etc.), and am very “unregulated” I guess, and having trouble withdrawing from it all…all those near beers did a number too. I may have to drop those. Hoping the extra fatigue and constipation and depression will leave soon.
                          Last edited by Slo; December 29, 2022, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Mae all -

Mick , thanks so much for the explanations! I look forward to hearing all the things you posted. (I‘m rushing thru posting , since I am so often bounced back, and then it’s heck getting my few words posted!) hoping for sun so the rabbits can get out and bond!

Lav, so glad to hear your furnace arrived geez, just in the nick of time... 😉. Well, hopefully it will keep you comfy as you put away all the beautiful things that you make gifts out of... congrats!

SLO, you are so sweet.., here’s hoping the New Year brings you healing and joy!

PPQ, don’t wait around, pls jump right back in... we miss you!

Sam,’ I’m hearing your fiddling in my ears - happy almost- new-year!

Big hugs to all,
                            TG

Comment

morning,
                              PQ, hope you're doing better. Glad to see your post.

Mick, thanks for the links, enjoyed them all, I really liked the lament.

Lav, looks like we're getting a bit of a break with the cold. My only source of heat is a wood stove and while I think it is the best heat, I've been trying to get the wife to have a mini split installed for those occasions of necessity, example: both having been sick and having to deal with heat, and we seem to be getting a history of being sick around Christmas!

TG, I used to play lots of fiddle but lately been playing guitar backing up someone who quite good.

Slo, hope you have and enjoyable and no snow!

off to the races....
                              Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Hiya all how are we doing today then..I am in the greenhouse with the rabbits. It is pouring down with rain and blowing a Hooley. Hope everyone is doing ok ppqp how are you today?16724087749421348264498414120212.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X