X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas Day 2022

Good evening friends,

Warmer temps & sun today, nice
    The weekend is supposed to be very damp, especially Saturday. My stay at home plans will be just perfect!!

Slo, I’ve noticed 3 extra pounds on the scale this week - could be cookie related haha!! I will kick that habit real soon
    I just feel better when I eat what I know agrees with me, holidays can be hard on the gut. Hope you feel like yourself real soon.

Cyn, hope your day was good, quiet too.

Sam, the wood stove is OK but the heat doesn’t reach into the back of the house where the bedrooms & bathrooms are, haha! Glad to have a warmer bathroom for showers again!!
    Since we don’t seem to be getting any younger I think we need to change our thinking about things. What worked & was OK 20 years ago may not be the best thing for us now at this age.

Mick, how do you get them into your greenhouse in the middle of a storm? Interesting.
    Hope theday ended a little calmer for you.

Hello to PQ, Pauly& Det. Miss you all!

Have a nice night all,
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

So Luna is living indoors now, Lav?! That super cold weather over Christmas must have made her glad to be an indoor cat!

I see the bunnies are still separated from each other while in the greenhouse, Mick. But getting them used to being together in different places!

I thought that you were strictly a fiddler too, Sam! Nice you can mix it up and switch to guitar.

Lav, you were living like people used to live before central heating: quickly jump out of bed, grab your clothes, and dress by the wood stove! And Sam…

You’re the sweet one, TG. You actually go out of your way to help the homeless, elderly shut-ins, institutionalized “slow” cousin, etc.

I meant to say yesterday that I was “up-regulated” from too much near beers and sweets & stuff. And it was hard to come back down. Like how PQ’s brain got up-regulated from the wine, and got screwed up while coming down.

I think I’m pushing my detox too hard on my detox diet (Love Your Liver / Nutrition Restored), so starting today I’m backing off from the extra fiber from too much whole grains and beans -see if that helps. I’m already feeling better.

Tonight I’m invited to join my sister and her friend for the evening, Her friend lives right near me. I’ll try cranberry juice with sparkling water & limes while they drink, instead of near beer.
      Last edited by Slo; December 30, 2022, 07:01 PM.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Mae all,

Well Mick, I listened to those fabulous YouTube videos... they almost pulled my heart right out of my chest... the bagpipe has such a primordial sound... Both the large groups and the lone piper were very moving. I wouldn't want to be an opposing army confronted with that sound before a battle! So sorry you are having such terrible weather - here's hoping you see the sun soon. Well, the rabbits got a change of scenery at least... I hope they are telling each other stories by now.

Lav, you deserve to have a nice warm bathroom to go to when you awaken!! Cold mornings are the worst! I hope your new heater works for a good long time and you can rest assured that it will be nice and warm to awaken. Reading your post, I now have a hankering for cookies. I had just seen my new primary a couple of weeks ago, and my bad cholesterol is higher than she wants... she said "more exercise, and stay away from the Christmas cookies". And I did, but I might just have to find a good spritz cookie or two...

Slo, yes those cleansing diets can be hard on us, even when healthy. Sounds like you have a good plan to slow down on the food changes, and avoid any kind of sugary drink. Today I stopped and got some plain seltzer and lime juice w/out sugar... I'm having a nice evening "spritz, and don't have to worry about sugars...

PPQ - sending you love and looking forward to you posting... hugs...

Sam, ah, multitalented are you? Well it all sounds great I'm sure. Enjoy, and hope you can stay well...

I may be getting a slight cold, but I'm hoping to side-step it... maybe a hot bath tonight or in the morning... self-care to prepare for the New Year.

Wishing all well -
        TG

Comment

morning all...how are we today then? hope everyone is doing good.strangely enough I know it is still pouring down with rain.We are going down to the other Julies today...her daughter ...thats Julies niece is home from S Korea,for a few days ,She is a teacher out there and loves it.Amy is also coming up as well.Its about 5 years since we all met up together.

hiya teegee,how are we today then?hope you are good and you have managed to side step the cold .Glad you enjoyed the tunes .Yes military history is littered with mentions of pipers leading Jock regiments into battle .Once you hear the pipes it puts that steel in our backbone .In years gone by ,Scottish regiments led a lot of advances simply because the troops were given whisky ,and then the piper played them over the top,

here you go ..In ww1 ,over 1000 pipers were killed.

Why do bagpipers walk away at funerals?
          Supposedly they are the only instrument that can be heard in Heaven. A piper and the sound of the bagpipes helps to direct departed souls towards Heaven's Gates. The walking away symbolizes the piper leading the departed to the Hereafter, yet stopping short of the Gate through which the piper cannot pass.

and then of course there is this ..Oh Flower of Scotland...the unofficial National Anthem

hiya Slo ,how are you today then?I think we all battered the sugary stuff over the season...,Yep the rabbits are still separated ...Bonding can take an amount of time and sometimes not at all.there is such a thing as stress bonding ,where you put them together and take them on a car journey or something like that where they get frightened and comfort each other through fear ..None of my rabbits were ever or ever will be stress bonded .did you enjoy your night with your sister?

hiya Lav ,you good ? yep you aint the only one that has put a couple of pounds on ...they will come off pretty rapid ..wait for it ...I took the rabbits into the greenhouse in separate carriers!!Interesting to hear your views on the wood burner...we were actually thinking of changing our gas fire in the front room for a wood burner. hope you have a good weekend .

hiya ppqp ...how are you doing?

and finally all it remains is to wish each and everyone who reads this ,a Happy new year ...or in the Gael....bliadhna Mhath Ùr
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

New Year’s Eve greetings, Friends! The last day of the year.

I enjoyed my time with my sister and her friend. We both really enjoy her longtime friend: she is so centered, calm, respectful, kind; a good conversationalist…I’m glad I live near her now, so I can get to know her too! My sister was so drunk when she got there though, and it was painful to see. Difficulty speaking, difficulty forming her thoughts, etc. I had guarded hopes that she was kicking this, as she seemed to be sober through most of December! It was great to have her back! Then dumb Christmas hit, and I could tell immediately that day when the light in her eyes changed, that she had started hitting the sauce again. Alcoholism is taking such a terrible toll on her physical and mental health. This might be a hard road that we here are taking, but it is the right road that we are on. It is worth it.
            The 15-year-old daughter there was noticing and commenting on the behavioral changes occurring as she watched the adults drinking. Well, I used to notice that too when I was a kid.
            The cranberry juice I took along was concentrated, and too much. The seltzer water wasn’t sweetened as I couldn’t find any sweetened ones. It hit me all wrong. Back to near beers for me!

Comment

I made cornbread yesterday, Lav! Yum! I’ll be making that again! Since I seem so taken with white corn, this is another way to consume that grain instead of relying so much on popcorn.

I put on extra pounds since November too. Oh well. That’s what the cloudy, brutally cold Winter weather does to us.

1000 bagpipers were killed in WW1? What a waste! Bagpiping is a very difficult skill to learn. I know, because I took a little class about it, taught by a renowned bagpiper! (at Irish Fest this Summer)

That would be cruel to stress bond your rabbits, Mick. They can get to know one another slowly, in different locales. And someday maybe even outdoors, if it ever stops raining in England!

I can’t make my bed today, because Boyd has made a little nest for himself in the covers, and has burrowed deep inside of it to sleep!
              He seems awfully tired today and yesterday, after having to get the 2nd part of a vaccine yesterday that he doesn’t need; that the vet doesn’t think he needs, but the boarding place insists on him having, in order to board there.

See you next in 2023!
              Last edited by Slo; December 31, 2022, 01:40 PM.

Comment

MAE ALL...

Sorry I haven't been checking in lately, just trying to get back to some type of routine. With this being my Christmas break I usually don't do anything but lay around and read or in this case have been binge watching a tv series the boys had on the server.

I am doing well, been paying extra attention to eating right. I have been getting some decent sleep but have noticed the last 2 nights they've not been as long as in the beginning. I have not been able to connect with the Doc who gave me the Rx or my GP yet but will be ok till next week when I can.

I still find it alot to follow everyone on the thread and respond individually but hope to get there in a couple of days.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and I for one am glad to see 2022 in the rear view mirror....PQ

Comment

Good evening on this final evening of 2022!
                  It’s been damp all day with fog so heavy you can barely see the houses across the road, crazy. Glad my son & grandsons returned from Key West late last evening before all this weather moved in. They were gone for just a few days, crazy doing all that driving. There won’t be any fireworks tonight since it’s raining hard now.

Slo, yeah, Luna has been mostly an indoor cat since she was spayed. She does go out for an hour or two at a time but always inside overnight. Even without heat it was still warmer in here, she knew that haha!
                  I’m done with the over eating & cookies now, haha it’s a once a year thing for me. Just getting back to your routine always makes you feel better. Corn bread is good & goes with most things
                  Sorry your sister got caught up in the holiday booze thing, it must be hard to watch her.

Cyn, I went to a nearly vegan diet almost 20 years ago when my cholesterol first went up, exercise as well. Turns out it’s more to do with the cholesterol that our body makes as we age than what we eat. I agreed to the low dose statin because of my family’s history of clogged arteries & the cholesterol numbers dropped immediately. It doesn’t cause me any side effects so I’m staying on it for sure.
                  Everyone deserves a good cookie once in a while

Mick, I hope your get together was nice today.
                  I think the wood fire is nice but I do think it affects my allergies a bit. Beggars can’t be choosers my mother always used to say. Puring rain here now too.

PQ, glad you’re checking in, no pressure to post to individuals.
                  Your body needs time to recover from the stress so take. Your time & treat yourself well :hug:

Hello to Sam, Pauly & Det.

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night & a very Happy 2023!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Mae all,

A quiet night tonight for me... I did a few chores here (cleaning, tossing out old food, etc) so tomorrow will be a nice start to the year. But I'm tired and just about to go to bed around 9 PM! Heavens, I must be getting old.....

Lav, love to hear that you have heat, and that your Luna rescue girl is happy by the fire, how nice. Yep, I inherited my hi cholestrol from my mom... and I rarely eat cookies or sweets, but I do need to bump up the exercise... it will help me in many ways... and I found a beautiful facility near me, so we'll see when I can get going with that.

Mick, that info on the pipers lost and the Scottish Regiments sacrificed... terrible, just gut-wrenching. I hope that your trip to see folks was a good one. Well, even with separate carriers, the rabbits must be getting used to the others' smells and sounds. Crossing fingers that it all works in the end.

PPQ - great to see you! No pressure, just always want you to know that you are valued here.

Slo - sounds like you had a good time and perhaps a new friend, which is always nice. Sorry about your sister... there really is some extra stress around holidays, not sure what it's all about, but it can really play a part in things. I hope your sis gets back on the road. Glad you have found some beverages that work.

I found 2 nice perks as I ran through Trader Joe's just before they closed (wanted to pick up an organic chicken so that I can make soup tomorrow... (I'll see if that makes me feel better). Anyway, I don't do gluten regularly, and finding ready-made substitutes can be hard. But Bingo! "Gluten-free Ginger Muffines (Ginger puree, candied ginger, crystalized Ginger) ... delish!! I only had a half, and had to stop myself from eating all 4! I also found a pretty canned drink "Sparkling Honeycrisp Apple Juice Beverage" looks very festive. So I'm going to have it now and call it midnight...

Hello to Sam, Pauly and Det, and all who stop by here... may we all be well in the New Year...
                    TG

Comment

Working...
                    X