Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 Days AF Monthly Moderation

Hi Ally,

You've been on my mind today...hope things are going as well as can be expected at such a sad and stressful time. MWO is here waiting for you when you get back...after another 14 hour trip ! Jet lag coming east is awful for me...take it easy, if you can. FFP
    . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Ffp:
      Thank you! Just got back. The funeral was hard, of course. I hope my mom's resting in peace....

Ally
      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Thinking of you Ally :l:l
        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

I think I'm going to become more spiritual. I really feel in the past 2 months that I have the alcohol issue under control. My weight still needs some work but I'm working on it , my mom's death is leading me to learn more about spirituality. So I'm trying to heal my mind, body, and spirit. One step at a time. I'm hoping that I can still grow and learn at my age!

Thanks, freefly for your support! Hugs.,,
          Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Alcoholic;1430598 wrote: I think I'm going to become more spiritual. I really feel in the past 2 months that I have the alcohol issue under control.
            Ally,
            Any tips to help others as to what helped you feel the alcohol issue is under control?

I love the more spiritual thinking as I am such a lover of Eastern philosophy athough I embrace Western as well. Totally loved the book "Four Agreements" and also Byron Katie's way of thinking Ally. Have you read works of either of them? I also like Radical Forgiveness and find that way of thinking helpful to embrace especially when we are hit with devastating tragedies like the CT incident. Here's a link to explain what Radical Forgiveness is:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YuLKpRP-60[/video]]Colin Tipping Radical Forgiveness - YouTube

:l
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks Eve, I enjoyed listening to this while sipping coffee and knitting.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Knowing and standing for the truth is the best way to living in spirit, I am learning. Four very enlightening treaties to learn.
                Treaty of Verona 1213
                Berlin Conference 1884-5
                Inter Caetera Divina 1493
                The Pontifex 1492
                The rabbit hole really runs deep and they sure as shit don't want us to know.
                Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

:HEve:

I'll ordering Byron Katie's book. Byron's my son's first name!

I read the Tao and it's more philosphy than religion. Eckhart Tolle's New World helps me. But I'm too intellectual, not practicing teachings or meditate or daily read the info, so i need to do more of that to get peace in my mind.

You asked me before if I was an alcoholic. I would have said yes 3 months ago, but now I'm not so sure. I still say it just to be on the safe side. But since I started glutamine (now I credit it all to glutamine and not to kudzu as I did initially), I am completely different. I even tempted fate and experiment around to see what if I were to drink. But really, now I drink so rarely that wine stays in the refrigerator or cabinet for weeks/a month until we entertain. Even my husband is amazed at the transformation.

May be I have glutamine deficiency??? In any case, my brain has learned to say, "I crave some glutamine drink now" instead of "I crave some wine now." Isnt' that the weirdest thing?! I hope glutamine isn't addictive :H.

But I'm in the medical field, never heard of glutamine helping alcoholism until I got on MWO. so I am so grateful to MWO. wish I could spread the joy of glutamine!

I'm trying out this Self-realization fellowship for spirituality w some MWO members. I will let you know how it goes. I also go to church sometimes. I used to attend B'hai meetings (they believe all religions have same goals).

Since my mom passed away, it got me really thinking, where does her soul go? what is the meaning of life? do i just work 6 days a week, then die someday and that's it. how depressing is that.

ok. i'm going on forever. sorry.
                  Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Hello Modders, happy to report a sober Christmas. That was huge for me as first time in adult life (sad but true) and feeling really good for it. Kryia yoga totally got me through - takes you up into the heart centre away from base chakra and base of addictions. Didn't even fancy overindulging in food or shopping either!

Anyways settled in for New Years Eve now. Quiet one avec moi, tasty dinner and a couple of movies. Looking forward to a hungover free New Years Day

Just wanted to wish you all a very........

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

:l:h:l
                    You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Drank a few on Christmas Eve but stayed sober Christmas and since... Tonight plan on trying for the first time a NA wine... I hope a low cal one too !
                      Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Eve - I just wanted to say again how much I love this thread. You have put such effort into this and it really is appreciated. I really agree with the 'restrained drinker' comment. I am still using all these tools that you have put together here.
                        Thank you!!! :h:h
                        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

NoraC;1438890 wrote: Eve - I just wanted to say again how much I love this thread. You have put such effort into this and it really is appreciated. I really agree with the 'restrained drinker' comment. I am still using all these tools that you have put together here.
                          Thank you!!! :h:h

Thank you Nora. I jumped around sites and did a lot of research and noticed a common line of thinking with people who were abstaining and that was the fact that they couldn't quite grasp the concept of people being able to moderate. Some would say, "if they could moderate they wouldn't be at online alcoholism sites" and things like that. So, when I came across the work and thoughts of the psychologist who talked about "restrained" drinking versus "moderate" drinking, it made all of the sense in the world to me. So, to clarify for anyone new to all of this and just jumping in, true moderate drinkers (to me) are folks who don't have a problem with AL and choose to be social drinkers who have 1 or 2 drinks and then as the dinner is ending they have coffee or a non-al drink and don't even have a thought to more alcohol. However, a restrained drinker is someone who knows they have a faulty shut off valve. They haven't reached the stage of true alcoholism but know that they are wired differently than people without any type of alcohol problem. Usually they really don't want to quit at two or three (the third should be the max in an evening per moderate drinking standards- two is more desirable) but if they are working their program, they restrain
                          /force themselves by not continuing to drink but usually have some internal dialogue about it and have to work at not drinking more. I think that is why a lot of folks decide to abstain after struggling with trying to moderate or "restrain" their drinking as it is a lot of work! However, for those who are working hard to moderate what they drink, I am thankful we have this board at MWO so we can help each other be more in control with our AL issues and support each other in our goals to drink moderately.

As they say in AA, "Keep coming back, it works!" Well, MWO works for me so I keep coming back here to give and receive the support I need. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hello Eve. I've skimmed over this thread and I just want to say it has some wonderful points to keep in mind.
                            I'm on my first goal of 30 days for the month of January. However, I'm trying not to think of 30 days.....just taking it one day at a time, with that being the goal. Once I achieve that, I will reevaluate my goals. I would like to be able to enjoy a glass of wine on occasion .....just not daily and the amount I have been drinking. I don't ever want to go back to that.
                            At the end of 30 days, I'm not sure how I will feel.....I may be too frightened to try moderation....I don't know.....I'll just have to see when I get there.
                            I appreciate that there is a place that supports moderation though because if that's what I decide I'd be able to do, I know I will need help with that as well:thanks:

Comment

Hey New Day,
                              Good luck with your 30 day goal to abstain and then ??? You will figure it out. I think AA came up with the phrase "one day at a time" and it certainly helps one's mindset when we break things down to real short term and not the whole, big picture. Sometimes, it can become one hour at a time or one minute at a time. For now, just day by day. Come here for support and read what was posted on day one, two, etc. Feel free to share if anything posted for that particular day resonated with you and we will have a dialogue regarding that, if not with me personally, I know one of our other mod squad members will share their wisdom and advice.

Here's a post I wrote to help avoid temptation. It was probably written with moderation in mind so just keep that in mind as your goal is abstinence for now.
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f3...ion-36951.html

Eve11

Comment

Eve11;1439109 wrote: Thank you Nora. I jumped around sites and did a lot of research and noticed a common line of thinking with people who were abstaining and that was the fact that they couldn't quite grasp the concept of people being able to moderate. Some would say, "if they could moderate they wouldn't be at online alcoholism sites" and things like that. So, when I came across the work and thoughts of the psychiatrist who talked about "restrained" drinking versus "moderate" drinking, it made all of the sense in the world to me. So, to clarify for anyone new to all of this and just jumping in, true moderate drinkers (to me) are folks who don't have a problem with AL and choose to be social drinkers who have 1 or 2 drinks and then as the dinner is ending they have coffee or a non-al drink and don't even have a thought to more alcohol. However, a restrained drinker is someone who knows they have a faulty shut off valve. They haven't reached the stage of true alcoholism but know that they are wired differently than people without any type of alcohol problem. Usually they really don't want to quit at two or three (the third should be the max in an evening per moderate drinking standards- two is more desirable) but if they are working their program, they restrain/force themselves by not continuing to drink but usually have some internal dialogue about it and have to work at not drinking more. I think that is why a lot of folks decide to abstain after struggling with trying to moderate or "restrain" their drinking as it is a lot of work! However, for those who are working hard to moderate what they drink, I am thankful we have this board at MWO so we can help each other be more in control with our AL issues and support each other in our goals to drink moderately.

As they say in AA, "Keep coming back, it works!" Well, MWO works for me so I keep coming back here to give and receive the support I need. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Eve11
                                Thank you Eve. Love this post and truly identify with it. :l

Hi New Day....not meaning to put pressure on you but it seems that most "restrainers" ( I really like that) don't have a huge problem putting in 30 days af. Here's to conscious living.
                                Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Working...
                                X