The Mod Hatters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mod Hatters!

renewal;1407417 wrote: Hello 'Mod Hatters', this is Renewal (Mark). I created Newbies Nest a while back, and just wanted to pop in and wish you all the best of luck. Eve mentioned to me she was going to begin this new thread, so I wanted to take a peek. The Nest began small...as an idea. Now, well, it's sustained itself quite well over recent years. I hope for similar success for all of you here. In my opinion, this forum is for people of ALL types and needs, and should never pass judgement on individuals. I'm hardly around here anymore, but have heard that at times, this forum does not embrace that philosophy any more. You can make this particular thread whatever you wish, as it is 'your place'. I hope you find it to be a place of comfort in your moderation. Again, I wish you all the best.
    Hi Mark aka Renewal,

Thanks for dropping in on us! Yes, the nest was created with such love and compassion and it's amazing to see how it is such a strong site for so many people. I basically wanted to recreate that feeling over here but in the forum designated for people "moderating" so our discussions of continued drinking in our lives won't be tempting to someone's recovery who really knows they should not drink again. So, this our little getaway and you are welcome to pop in at anytime. Thanks for your well wishes, it means a lot.

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Hello all -

Congrats on the condo.

Yes - I'm trying to control the sugar because when they did my blood work, my sugar was a little high. So, I'm just supposed to be watching it. I find it really odd that after years of drinking, I cut back on my drinking and now my sugar is higher. It's got to be all those sweets I started shoveling in.

I'll have to check out those ice cream bars. I think I'm going to try to eat a banana or apple when I start getting sugar cravings and see if that helps. Good idea FFP.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Hi, All,

Well, I just had a major spit up all over my shoulders, neck and chest, so the day will get better! I'm going to referee two hockey games, then back out house hunting with the wife! We'll have to bring the boys with us this afternoon, though, so it wont be quite as easy as yesterday when we went out child free. The day nanny, a friend of ours we've known through two different circles of friends, worked two days this week, including yesterday, which I took off. Wish she'd be back today, but no such luck on a Saturday, so we'll be luggin the little ones in and out of the car about 8 times between 2:30 and 5 this afternoon!

LG, we do eat the low carb Bryers, which is on-sale for $1.99 this week (usually $4.49!) I like the rocky road and plain old chocolate!

V, you haven't been writing (or I haven't read the right thread) about Winnie, how is she doing?

Eve, your threads have really brought life to the Mod areas.
        Mark (Renewal) thanks for dropping by, please join us anytime. I'd love to know how your life is going, are you AF? Just moved on from needing the regular support here or find another place?

Happy mod weekend all.
        D
        Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
        When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

What happened Mod Hatters? Come out, Come out!

Had a mod weekend. Drank a glass of wine with dinner on Saturday night (ok, my glass was larger than wifey's who wanted a small one, as she gets buzzed on one good sized glass!) and had a big Twisted Tea yesterday after all the house hunting, referee clinic, etc. But didn't really think about drinking more, despite having a very nice bottle of champagne in fridge, and some wine in the pantry that's been saved for a while (probably Thanksgiving and/or when we finalize deal on house!)

Going to have a long talk with wifey tonight to figure out moving plans. Hopefully we'll negotiate purchase price and know if seller (who broker says wants to be out of house quickly) will be able to move for our mid December move out of condo.

Hope all are well...I'm not far from Danbury, CT, at one time the Hat capital of the world! So here's to you all mod hatters!

Dave
          Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
          When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Hey D,
            Thanks for the update. Yes, we're here and watching for any newbies who have the desire to post and let us know their plan for recovery. To any newbies lurking: this is a caring site with a lot of folks with empathy who have been where you are and are making their own and individual plans out of the rabbithole. Feel free to share yours with us.

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Hi eve and d from ct:

D : glad you are house hunting! Exciting but must be exhausting! Sounds like you modding is going quite well.

I'm still on my l-glut and kudzu. I notice when I drink, I don't drink much. Most days I still don't drink, last month, I drank maybe 4 times, each time just 1-2 glasses. Overall, feeling pretty good emotionally but no energy physically. I never had energy before I drank either so I can't completely blame alcohol on it!

But the freedom from alcohol is a great feeling: not having to worry about buying it, hiding it, finding restaurants that serve alcohol, etc. just such a relief!

I'm enjoying my freedom right now... Either with or without alcohol. But definitely want to give my liver time to repair by not drinking much.
              Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
              A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Alcoholic;1410157 wrote:

But the freedom from alcohol is a great feeling: not having to worry about buying it, hiding it, finding restaurants that serve alcohol, etc. just such a relief!
                I remember that too Ally, looking for the kid friendly enough restaurant that would serve wine in the daytime so McDonalds didn't cut it but Peter Piper Pizza did. Ugh! Wine in the daytime...glad those days are over!!

Eve11

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Day 14

Take time to breathe.

Many people who finally admit that they are having trouble with drinking will say that a crisis pushed them over the edge into getting drunk. They then find themselves “crying in their beer” literally. Stress during crisis may cause such discomfort that getting drunk seems like the perfect answer at the moment, but as most people eventually find out, the relief is only temporary as alcohol abuse complicates their lives and only makes things get worse as there always seem to be consequences to pay when one is drinking out of control. The stress relief that alcohol brings is only a temporary bandaid, but it isn’t alleviating the deeper wound.

Now is the time to think about other ways of reducing stress other than alcohol. Consider yoga or meditation classes. Enjoy candles in your home with low lighting for a quiet atmosphere of relaxing with your children, pets, or significant other without alcohol. Journal, paint, express yourself. And as the title states, just pause, calm down and take a deep breath:

Take a comfortable position. If you have to, take a moment to get ready. Let yourself relax by going limp. Then inhale slowly and deeply. When you’ve taken as much air into your lungs as you can, stop, pause for a moment, and then breathe all of the air out slowly. At the end of the breathing-out cycle, give an extra push to remove the last bit of air. Repeat the exercise five times. This should not be hard, fast breathing; instead it should be slow, deep, relaxed breathing. Try to practice this exercise a few times a day.
                  Let go, relax. And say, Wow, I’ve made it to two weeks without alcohol. Life is great!!

Eve11

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Eve, is this the thread you were talking about? I just ordered some Kudzu and liver cleanse, looking forward to feeling and being healthy!

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

4me;1410297 wrote: Eve, is this the thread you were talking about? I just ordered some Kudzu and liver cleanse, looking forward to feeling and being healthy!
                      Yes, 4me, this is the 30 day AF thread. :welcome: We are on day 14 but just apply it to your life as you see fit. You can go to day 1 and post how that feels for you and what you may have gotten from the postings for that day that helped you get through the day. Or, start with us on day 14 knowing it's day 2 or 3 or whatever day it is for you. Whatever works for you. We're just hoping to help you get some AF time to cleanse your body, unclutter your mind, and help you figure out what's best for you when you're thinking isn't clouded from alcohol.

Eve11

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Thanks again Eve, I prefer to go forward and not back. I have read many post on various threads and most of this one. This seems like a comfy place for me right now and I appreciate you starting this thread, it's a great one!

Runningcloud, I read your post about modding and abstaining. How you prefer the whole bottle instead of one glass. That is me, sad to say. Not sure how I got there, just want to get back to me again.

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

4 me: kudzu really helped me. If I drink more than 2 glasses, i kind of feel sick. Not Antabuse sick but just headache and like a hungover feeling. It's so unpleasant that it makes me want to just go AF.
                          Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Alchohlic, thanks for the heads up. I ordered some potent Kudzu, so I think it should help me stay on track!

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

One thing after reading all these day 1s and I'm thinking: I would not ever moderate if I wasn't on kudzu or l glutamine.
                              Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

The Mod Hatters!

Alcoholic, thanks again for the advice. I will let you know how it works for me when I get it. I do have the glutamine and it helps. No cravings so far, more mental than anything. I did have insomnia last night. It just happens sometimes, not alcohol related. Dogs were crazy about something? I should sleep well tonight. Have a good night all!

Comment

Working...
                                X